HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: 2008 Hills Country

Postby Cougar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:48 am

choppy wrote:cougar i think the top five sides are close to central standards at least competitive but the bottom five could be anywhere.

Fair Call. All though there is talk Nairne could be the big improvers in season 2008.

Word is TV are starting a mutiny against the Big O. Seems they think he should leave the same time Johnny Howard does, and have handed out some advice on 'How to Vote' to all the other HFL CLubs. Who do they want for President of the HFL?? Kevin Rudd??

See that GH is going around again, with the footballing mercenaries of S.A. rubbing their hands with glee. Poor old Battams it seems doesn't know if he'll go around again after receiving a 2 game suspension for running into an umpire. Geez, he'll be really missed in Hills Football :roll:
Cougar
League - Best 21

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:02 am

Cougar wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
saintal wrote:
I believe that 1998 was the first year of the Uraidla 'Districts' as i was playing senior colts at the time.

I was thinking it was 96, but Eastern Ranges definitely had a side in 97. Old age is playing tricks with the mind.

Know the feeling. I reckon the Ranges last year might have been 97 after all. When Kersbrook last went top in 97, there were only 7 sides in Div 2. I think this was the finishing order: Kersbrook, Maccy, Gumeracha, Birdwood, Callington, Eastern Ranges and the newly formed Torrens Valley. With Eastern Ranges folding, Div 2 appeared 'On the Rocks', but with the return of Echunga and Ironbank in 98, and Milang, Meadows and Blackwoods 2s joining not long after, the future of two Divs in Hills Footy was safe.

Yes, only seven teams that year, with only a final four. IIRC Kersbrook only lost two games that year, each by less than a goal. Was also the year they played their home games at Mt Torrens??
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Cougar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:23 am

Kersbrook used Mt.Torrens as it's 'Home' venue during seasons 97 and 98. The 'A' grade won the Flag in 97 and were 3-4 early in 98, before winning 12 in a row only to lose the GF to Ironbank. Ironically the Kangaroos did the same thing in 98 against the Crows. 1999 the new Kersbrook Complex was opened.
Cougar
League - Best 21

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:33 pm

Cougar wrote:
Word is TV are starting a mutiny against the Big O. Seems they think he should leave the same time Johnny Howard does, and have handed out some advice on 'How to Vote' to all the other HFL CLubs. Who do they want for President of the HFL?? Kevin Rudd??

See that GH is going around again, with the footballing mercenaries of S.A. rubbing their hands with glee. Poor old Battams it seems doesn't know if he'll go around again after receiving a 2 game suspension for running into an umpire. Geez, he'll be really missed in Hills Football :roll:

Was talking to a guy who played for Cally this year on Tuesday night at the Pier, not trying to protect I just don't remember his name (too pissed :lol: :wink: ). He was one of their experienced players, a bit of a hard nut and was brought to the club by their current coach. He told me that he was playing for Torrens Valley next year and by the sound of it, he's not the only one from Eagle land heading out there.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby LuvsFooty » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:41 pm

That would be a bloke by the name of Herman I reckon.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby Cougar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:56 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:That would be a bloke by the name of Herman I reckon.

Handy Player Herman. If what this bloke said to ODB is right, I'd expect Jenner out at TV as well. With some retirements out at TV, the 'New' mercenaries will ca$h in!
Cougar
League - Best 21

Postby The Crumber » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:58 pm

Good stuff OneNine for getting the Country topics happening. Just discovered it today and it's a good read already! So, about the possible Cally exits, if Hermy's the player in question there'll be many following him. The guy seems to have some sort of cult following out there and has apparently done some legendary things so it'd be a blow to the club to see him go. The word at Cally is that all is well, but it always is when you ask. I do know there's plenty of $$$$ there though and will be for a while.
So TV are having a protest are they? Glad to hear 'how to vote' slips are being passed around. At these AGM's the Presidential voting has always been downplayed and was one of those things that could've happened while you were in the toilet. It really is a good time to seriously look at Leadership. Who's the challenger? I did hear earlier this year it would be Julie Carman.
Older, wiser and been there. But still love that grassroots country footy.
The Crumber
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:19 pm

New assistant coach @ North: Roger James
From the official North site http://www.nafc.com.au

Roger James

The North Adelaide Football Club is pleased to announce that former Port Power Premiership player Roger James has joined the Club as an assistant Coach. Andrew is delighted with the appointment and is looking forward to "tapping" into some of Roger's vast amount of AFL Experience. Before retiring due to injuries, Roger was one of the premier On Ballers in the AFL, especially at Clearances, his knowledge will be invaluable to the likes of Allan, O'Brien, Stribling, Pfeiffer and Delvins. Roger will take over as Midfield Coach from Tim Cook who unfortunately couldn't continue due to increased work commitments. Roger will join Darren Jarman and Scott Peters as our Coaching Staff for 2008 under the guidance of Andrew.
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Cougar » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:14 am

magpie in the 80's wrote:New assistant coach @ North: Roger James
From the official North site http://www.nafc.com.au

Roger James

The North Adelaide Football Club is pleased to announce that former Port Power Premiership player Roger James has joined the Club as an assistant Coach. Andrew is delighted with the appointment and is looking forward to "tapping" into some of Roger's vast amount of AFL Experience. Before retiring due to injuries, Roger was one of the premier On Ballers in the AFL, especially at Clearances, his knowledge will be invaluable to the likes of Allan, O'Brien, Stribling, Pfeiffer and Delvins. Roger will take over as Midfield Coach from Tim Cook who unfortunately couldn't continue due to increased work commitments. Roger will join Darren Jarman and Scott Peters as our Coaching Staff for 2008 under the guidance of Andrew.

Yeah Yeah M80s you're good! :lol: Going to play spasmodically for the Brookers next year. i.e Roosters byes and Friday night/Sunday Football. His knee is treating him O.K. He smashed 97 off about 60 balls yesterday for the Brookers!
Cougar
League - Best 21

Postby Plunge Penguin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:49 pm

Thank the stars for a Hills Country thread - got sick to death of reading the one handed crap on the main board about The High Rooters, or Lofty Mounters or whatever they are. That can stay there :D . End of rant.

Sounds like nothing changed at Cally then...bleed for the jumper for a year and then **** off. Seems to be optimism out there every year that results in an 8th or 9th every year. Selective recruiting obviously is a key, maybe need to carefully target 4-5 SANFL players, with around 20-30 A grade or 70-80 Reserves games under their belts to show the professionalism required. Otherwise they will just become an affectionate cough in the history of HFL. For being in for, what is it now, 14 years next year, to have next to no finals action is unforgiveable.

One of the most reasonable things to do would be for a change at the top level of HFL. Owen has overseen a remarkable era in HFL and should be congratulated for much of what he has done, but too many things decided without full protocol and on a less than official level - let's not forget the Blackwood debacle of '06. Cheers Owen, go and watch the games now with nothing to do for it and enjoy what you've done - but for the sake of the league, if there is someone eles willing to carry it on, then let them.
Plunge Penguin
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

Postby choppy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:13 pm

heard trent thrope from kangy on the move to play footie with his brother at mundulla..not just a rumour either.
choppy
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby doug deep » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:48 pm

where you hear that choppy? are you certain of it?
doug deep

Postby Strawb » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:33 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
saintal wrote:
I believe that 1998 was the first year of the Uraidla 'Districts' as i was playing senior colts at the time.

I was thinking it was 96, but Eastern Ranges definitely had a side in 97. Old age is playing tricks with the mind.

Rangers had a side in 1997 it was my first year at Gums in the colts and we backed up a few times to play for their senior colts team. Also I can remember playing a few games at Ashton that year then heading off around the hills to watch the magoos and seniors play.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby OneNine » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:19 pm

Strawb07 wrote:Rangers had a side in 1997 it was my first year at Gums in the colts and we backed up a few times to play for their senior colts team. Also I can remember playing a few games at Ashton that year then heading off around the hills to watch the magoos and seniors play.

I have heard that Gum's have already started training?
Everything is fair!
OneNine

Postby Cougar » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:12 pm

OneNine wrote:
Strawb07 wrote:Rangers had a side in 1997 it was my first year at Gums in the colts and we backed up a few times to play for their senior colts team. Also I can remember playing a few games at Ashton that year then heading off around the hills to watch the magoos and seniors play.

I have heard that Gum's have already started training?

Fair enough. Brett James has Kersbrook booked for 3 sessions before Xmas.
Cougar
League - Best 21

Postby Sherrin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:59 am

Any further word on Trent Thorpe or anything down at Kangy?
How did the Meadows boys take to A. Walden being announced?
Maccy got a coach or any players yet?
Sherrin

Postby The Crumber » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:11 pm

Sherrin wrote:Any further word on Trent Thorpe or anything down at Kangy?

Can't answer any of those questions Owen. Oliver Dumphrey might know though.......
The Crumber
Under 16s

Postby Plunge Penguin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:01 pm

Sherrin wrote:Any further word on Trent Thorpe or anything down at Kangy?

Owen, surely it would be easier to just ring Pistols at The Courier rather than asking us :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Plunge Penguin
Under 16s

Postby Sherrin » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:32 am

Come on lads, go easy on me - just trying to take an interest in my league. Plus, looks like I might be in a bit of trouble job-wise so need to keep the finger on the pulse...
Sherrin

Postby The Crumber » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:11 pm

Sherrin wrote:Come on lads, go easy on me - just trying to take an interest in my league. Plus, looks like I might be in a bit of trouble job-wise so need to keep the finger on the pulse...

Without being unkind Sherrin, you'll find some useful info job-wise on this site from people who've been around footy a long time. Never too old to learn mate.
The Crumber
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy