HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

Postby V0ice0fthev0iceless » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:38 am

jumbo20 wrote:Maccy coach reappointed for next year ?

The rumour is they haven't, and he will be leaving. The talk is he will be replaced by someone coming in from Christies Beach.

Disappointing given the progress shown and clear culture shift at the club.
V0ice0fthev0iceless
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Barkeroo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:09 am

Yeah don't think Meadows would be ready to come up. Echunga definitely happy in Div.1 and doing alot of work trying to recruit kids that live in Mt Barker.
Byes aren't necessarily a bad thing either
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby cracka » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:35 pm

footy1992 wrote:Hot off the press.

Ironbank have voted to join the SFL in 2024.

Does the SFL still have to vote them in or is it a done deal
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby saintal » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:18 am

V0ice0fthev0iceless wrote:

The rumour is they haven't, and he will be leaving. The talk is he will be replaced by someone coming in from Christies Beach.

Was chatting to one of their players last night who wasn't impressed with the decision, which sounds as though was on the cards as early as mid way through the season.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Beachboy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:29 am

saintal wrote:

Was chatting to one of their players last night who wasn't impressed with the decision, which sounds as though was on the cards as early as mid way through the season.

I spoke to a couple of the Macces faithful as well. Sounds like it was the minority and the club buckled. Will be interesting to see how they go next year or if it will be the same old story, they drop off and return to the Macces of old.
Beachboy
Mini-League

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Chappy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:21 pm

Beachboy wrote:
saintal wrote:

I spoke to a couple of the Macces faithful as well. Sounds like it was the minority and the club buckled. Will be interesting to see how they go next year or if it will be the same old story, they drop off and return to the Macces of old.

Real shame, Is a good bloke and from the outside looked to have done a good job! Some people at clubs don't like change.
Chappy
Rookie

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Shortman » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:51 am

Up the Gummers

Win the double, but dont bring anything to the HFL

Up the Gummers
Shortman
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Cougar » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:24 am

Best spectator viewing conditions I've seen for 20 years for Saturday's Grand Final. Spring winds were light and weather was perfect. Probably a bit too warm for the players, and the A grade had a heap of players cramping in the last quater.

Junior Colts: Sam Powell Pepper was on hand watching his bro in law kick one of the fastest goals in GF history (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igxtw2W_7LY) and from there Kersbrook was never challenged from Meadows. Jacob Westley BOG to go with his Mail Medal and Leading Goal Kicker award.

Senior Colts: A plucky Kangarilla took it up to the more fancied Birdwood leading at half time. Birdwood eventually kicked into gear and ran over them in the last quater.

B Grade: The warm weather and large arena at Kersbook suited the youthful Gumeracha to win their first B grade flag in 80+ years????

A grade: Was a game of tennis as the ball bounced between both sides Half Back lines in a low scoring affair. Again not too dissimilar to last years GF as Gumeracha held onto the lead in the end by one goal. Daniel Wood the story of the day. Played all of season 2022 for Gumeracha A before getting the wrong tap on the shoulder before last years GF. Shattered, Wood played all of the 2023 minor round season for Gumeracha B grade including their first final and winning the B grade Mail Medal. Last weeks prelim Wood answered the call of coach Weaver to play in the A grade for the last two finals and was rewarded with the BOG medal.
Cougar
League - Best 21

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby oldman » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:42 am

Interesting off season in this comp. 2 teams were miles better than rest in 2023 and dont look like slowing down however there is talk of Gumeracha to ammos and Meadows looking to Div1 hills. Currently, 3 clubs looking for new coaches with the latest seeing Kangarilla's coach resign. Word is TV are going to battle to keep its recruits and Kersbrook expecting to see plenty of the older heads retire both in the As and Bs.
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby cracka » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:55 am

oldman wrote:Interesting off season in this comp. 2 teams were miles better than rest in 2023 and dont look like slowing down however there is talk of Gumeracha to ammos and Meadows looking to Div1 hills. Currently, 3 clubs looking for new coaches with the latest seeing Kangarilla's coach resign. Word is TV are going to battle to keep its recruits and Kersbrook expecting to see plenty of the older heads retire both in the As and Bs.

Bloody hell, where did that one come from
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Chappy » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:32 pm

cracka wrote:
oldman wrote:Interesting off season in this comp. 2 teams were miles better than rest in 2023 and dont look like slowing down however there is talk of Gumeracha to ammos and Meadows looking to Div1 hills. Currently, 3 clubs looking for new coaches with the latest seeing Kangarilla's coach resign. Word is TV are going to battle to keep its recruits and Kersbrook expecting to see plenty of the older heads retire both in the As and Bs.

Bloody hell, where did that one come from

Some travel there depending on Divisions. No chance
Chappy
Rookie

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:07 pm

Absolutely no chance of Gums to ammo’s.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:23 pm

HFL boards plan to get rid of Div 2 is coming together nicely
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Keefy » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:43 pm

Dutchy wrote:HFL boards plan to get rid of Div 2 is coming together nicely
Yup, been on the cards for a while

Some basically told to merge

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Brodlach » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:10 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Absolutely no chance of Gums to ammo’s.

Don’t be too sure about that.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Yank Man » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:20 pm

Keefy wrote:

How dumb are they, seriously. There is 16 teams in their comp. 2 Divisions 1 and 2, 8 team comp with relegation for the bottom Div 1 and promotion for the Div 2 team.

Sort you junior programme around which club has what teams and programme accordingly.

And WTF with their points system, you want your comp to flourish then ALL clubs get 15 points. Yes it will benefit clubs like Hahndorf in the interim but in the long term you will end up with 10 teams in closer leagues thinking about coming in.

I have close associations with people at Ironbank and some of those above reasons are why they are leaving Hills.

I absolutely love what the HFL offers, it’s one of the most appealing footy comps, I’ve been involved at GSFL and it’s pretty similar. I’m not about disparaging league officials but I just hope they truly understand what they’ve got.

All criticism is in waiting……. Go :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:38 pm

Brodlach wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Absolutely no chance of Gums to ammo’s.

Don’t be too sure about that.

I’m very comfortable with my statement.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:20 pm

Yank Man wrote:
Keefy wrote:

How dumb are they, seriously. There is 16 teams in their comp. 2 Divisions 1 and 2, 8 team comp with relegation for the bottom Div 1 and promotion for the Div 2 team.

Sort you junior programme around which club has what teams and programme accordingly.

And WTF with their points system, you want your comp to flourish then ALL clubs get 15 points. Yes it will benefit clubs like Hahndorf in the interim but in the long term you will end up with 10 teams in closer leagues thinking about coming in.

I have close associations with people at Ironbank and some of those above reasons are why they are leaving Hills.

I absolutely love what the HFL offers, it’s one of the most appealing footy comps, I’ve been involved at GSFL and it’s pretty similar. I’m not about disparaging league officials but I just hope they truly understand what they’ve got.

Tremendous post yank man. The HFL deserve a lot of flak for there treatment of the Div 2 clubs and it is unfortunate that IB had to leave and the inevitable demise of Div 2 is on the cards. There inability to adjust the Junior program is a genuine disgrace
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Barkeroo » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:44 am

I think the biggest shame is that comp was finally relatively even compared to the years when we had teams getting beaten by 2-300 points each week of a decade or two ago
Barkeroo
Rookie

Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:20 am

Yank Man wrote:
Keefy wrote:

Agree that it should be 2 divisions of 8.
It hasn't been helped by Div 2 clubs such as Torrens Valley and Echunga insisting on playing in Div 1.
We all know about Torrens Valley $$, and they seem to be rebuilding their club as a Div 2 club, which takes time.
Echunga, one of the reasons given was the juniors having to travel when they have Mt Barker, Hanhdorf etc on their doorstep - I can understand how this left the club in the bind, I don't have respect for the parents forcing this.

Not sure about promotion/relegation every year. Maybe every two years the best performing Div 2 club has the right to nominate, if they refuse, then the second club can. This would give some clubs like Echunga the carrot if it was their goal. Kersbrook have been bagged for being a big fish in a small pond, which is complete toss. They are the right size fish in the right size pond, just traditionally done more things right more of the time than other clubs.

Juniors has always been an issue in Div 2, the smaller towns fluctuate, which is the same as any small country town or community across the state in any league. Even 30 years ago they weren't full competitions, and unfortunately some of the clubs which didn't have juniors then, Eastern Ranges, Pleasant Valley, Mt Torrens are no longer clubs in their own right. It seems a lot of work was put in to re-establish these comps this year and hopefully it can be built on next year, including Bridgewater.

If the smaller Div 2 clubs are being pushed into mergers by stealth, I hope the 4 northern teams tell the HFL to stick it, form their own Torrens Valley Football League and try to get Sedan-Cambrai and Houghton into the comp, although I know the latter is unlikely given it is basically a suburban club.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy