HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

Postby Toto » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:32 am

So I'm guessing TV have managed to scrape in two team lists for the season?
Good on them, but if the season then comes and they're forfeiting games, I'm sure a few clubs won't be too pleased about it....
Might need to do a callington and have players double up on games. Will be interesting!
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Have sympathy for some of these clubs that are struggling (father a life member of Meadows fwiw) and god knows Maccy has been close in my time to being in the poo - mid '80's, 94, 01,04, 08 and 2011 for mine but a credit to those involved that it still around. Obviously hosting most of the grand finals since 2008 doesn't hurt either. In the case of Maccy and Meadows, bigger populations hasn't translated into more players
I'm sure Morphett Vale will manage, they've been up for a long time and I'm sure they will be again this year.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Dutchy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:24 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote:Have sympathy for some of these clubs that are struggling (father a life member of Meadows fwiw) and god knows Maccy has been close in my time to being in the poo - mid '80's, 94, 01,04, 08 and 2011 for mine but a credit to those involved that it still around. Obviously hosting most of the grand finals since 2008 doesn't hurt either. In the case of Maccy and Meadows, bigger populations hasn't translated into more players
I'm sure Morphett Vale will manage, they've been up for a long time and I'm sure they will be again this year.

Ever been talk of a Meadows/Maccy merger? would seem an obvious one from a geographical point of view.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3504 times

Postby Kick'n Back » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 am

Dutchy wrote:
ORDoubleBlues wrote:Have sympathy for some of these clubs that are struggling (father a life member of Meadows fwiw) and god knows Maccy has been close in my time to being in the poo - mid '80's, 94, 01,04, 08 and 2011 for mine but a credit to those involved that it still around. Obviously hosting most of the grand finals since 2008 doesn't hurt either. In the case of Maccy and Meadows, bigger populations hasn't translated into more players

Ever been talk of a Meadows/Maccy merger? would seem an obvious one from a geographical point of view.

I personally don't think it's ideal for neighbouring clubs to merge because clubs lose their identity. Look at Torrens valley for example everyone says they are propped up by one mans money. But I think it's inevitable for some clubs to think about it to survive in some form because all you need to do is look at junior numbers in the competition. From what I'm hearing is most clubs are struggling to fill all junior teams and there will be a lot of holes in the junior programme. I do put some of the blame on this to the hfl because clubs are expected to field teams in 18s 16s and 14s when you compare that to 15 years ago when clubs had to only field 17s and 14s so that is an extra 20 kids clubs need to find in the same age groups when school numbers in these towns decreasing so obviously there isn't as many kids.
Kick'n Back
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times

Postby Toto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 am

I think a Meadows/Maccy merger is definitely possible. Obviously geographically they're only split by what? 10km? Less even?
Their senior colts have already merged(and won the premiership comfortably). They've both been very close in terms of where they've finished on the ladder for quite a while now!
I think the biggest problem would be the Meadows faithful, they were a powerhouse for a long time and I think their pride might get in the way. Not saying Maccy aren't a proud club, but they haven't had the success that Meadows have had. And with Maccy having the better facilities, I would think that would become the main ground, although they could do what Bridgey do and play both ovals. I just think not using Macclesfield oval regularly is a waste!!
Toto
Under 16s

Postby TheBull » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Toto wrote:I think a Meadows/Maccy merger is definitely possible. Obviously geographically they're only split by what? 10km? Less even?
Their senior colts have already merged(and won the premiership comfortably). They've both been very close in terms of where they've finished on the ladder for quite a while now!
I think the biggest problem would be the Meadows faithful, they were a powerhouse for a long time and I think their pride might get in the way. Not saying Maccy aren't a proud club, but they haven't had the success that Meadows have had. And with Maccy having the better facilities, I would think that would become the main ground, although they could do what Bridgey do and play both ovals. I just think not using Macclesfield oval regularly is a waste!!

If there is not a cap put on some of the bigger clubs (Blackwood, Naire, Hahndorf etc) junior numbers, I think we will see more clubs opt to come down to this division. Speaking with people from Bridgy and Ironbank they have said it was a great decision to come down and play country div. Other clubs looking at the same option. May end up being a div 1 comp with only 6 teams. would get very boring indeed, if it's not already at that stage.
TheBull
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby saintal » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Toto wrote:So I'm guessing TV have managed to scrape in two team lists for the season?
Good on them, but if the season then comes and they're forfeiting games, I'm sure a few clubs won't be too pleased about it....
Might need to do a callington and have players double up on games. Will be interesting!

Got a mate playing there and he says that they only have "low 20s" as far as definite starters go. So still some work to do..
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Toto » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 am

Because it's so quiet on here. I'm going to throw out my ladder prediction for the season

Ironbank
Nairne
Kersbrook
Bridgewater
Gumeracha
Kangarilla
Macclesfield
Birdwood
Meadows
Torrens Valley.

Mail medal - Will Muirden(Ironbank) & Micah Rupcic(Nairne) tie.
Leading goal kicker - Brad Lees
Toto
Under 16s

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Kick'n Back wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I personally don't think it's ideal for neighbouring clubs to merge because clubs lose their identity. Look at Torrens valley for example everyone says they are propped up by one mans money. But I think it's inevitable for some clubs to think about it to survive in some form because all you need to do is look at junior numbers in the competition. From what I'm hearing is most clubs are struggling to fill all junior teams and there will be a lot of holes in the junior programme. I do put some of the blame on this to the hfl because clubs are expected to field teams in 18s 16s and 14s when you compare that to 15 years ago when clubs had to only field 17s and 14s so that is an extra 20 kids clubs need to find in the same age groups when school numbers in these towns decreasing so obviously there isn't as many kids.

This just so much. Everyone knows in country towns which Div 2 is more akin to, teams are up one year, struggle the next, and to expect them to go to two-year gaps and fill three teams was ridiculous. I don't know whether it was the HFL becoming arrogant about what seemed like an upswing in the interest of footy around that time or a general directive from the AFL or whoever about the age gaps, which is all very well for suburban and rural city comps but it needs to be changed for Div 2.

I don't necessarily want to see Torrens Valley win flags, but it would be good for footy to see them become a solid, viable Div 2 club fielding most teams and generating rivalries with those similar size towns.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:38 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Kick'n Back wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

This just so much. Everyone knows in country towns which Div 2 is more akin to, teams are up one year, struggle the next, and to expect them to go to two-year gaps and fill three teams was ridiculous. I don't know whether it was the HFL becoming arrogant about what seemed like an upswing in the interest of footy around that time or a general directive from the AFL or whoever about the age gaps, which is all very well for suburban and rural city comps but it needs to be changed for Div 2.

I don't necessarily want to see Torrens Valley win flags, but it would be good for footy to see them become a solid, viable Div 2 club fielding most teams and generating rivalries with those similar size towns.

Boggles the mind how they expect div 2 clubs to get under 12s,14s,16s and 18s. Have they seen the population of these towns, it's hard enough to get 13s, 15s and 17.5s. Makes sense for div 1 clubs as the majority have a lot of kids but it's idiotic for div 2 clubs to be expected to have that many junior sides.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby choppy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm

All the clubs got to vote regarding the extra colts teams, and they all voted for it. I know a few werent keen but to many voting for it. Looks like now everbody is struggling to fill them. Bring back just the 2 colts grades, bet you most clubs can fill them.
choppy
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Armytank » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:40 pm

I believe it is in the AFL guidelines for junior grades that they are not separated by anymore than two years. You may find that the two year age gap unfortunately is tied to the insurance (JLT).

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that country footy is being dictated to by suits and ties in insurance companies who never leave suburban Melbourne.
I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby heater31 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Armytank wrote:I believe it is in the AFL guidelines for junior grades that they are not separated by anymore than two years. You may find that the two year age gap unfortunately is tied to the insurance (JLT).

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that country footy is being dictated to by suits and ties in insurance companies who never leave suburban Melbourne.
Still country leagues in SA that go under 12 & under 16. Simply not enough kids to have anymore age groups.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 pm

choppy wrote:All the clubs got to vote regarding the extra colts teams, and they all voted for it. I know a few werent keen but to many voting for it. Looks like now everbody is struggling to fill them. Bring back just the 2 colts grades, bet you most clubs can fill them.

If it was solely down to the vote, seems weird they didn't delineate between Div 1 and 2, or did they think the smaller clubs would lose older players who had to play with a range of ages to large clubs where they would be playing predominantly with their own age?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:46 pm

heater31 wrote:
Armytank wrote:I believe it is in the AFL guidelines for junior grades that they are not separated by anymore than two years. You may find that the two year age gap unfortunately is tied to the insurance (JLT).

Still country leagues in SA that go under 12 & under 16. Simply not enough kids to have anymore age groups.

Most of the West Coast comps have roughly u/14's and u/17's, except for the Mid West which has always been just u/16's and a u/11 or 12 mini-league at half time of the A's.
Also IIRC, a few years ago in the Mid West B Grade to make up the numbers if a player was a certain age, maybe 13 or 14, they wore a yellow armband signifying they couldn't be tackled. Not sure if they still do. If Armytank is right, imagine what the suits would think about that.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby TheBull » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:18 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Most of the West Coast comps have roughly u/14's and u/17's, except for the Mid West which has always been just u/16's and a u/11 or 12 mini-league at half time of the A's.
Also IIRC, a few years ago in the Mid West B Grade to make up the numbers if a player was a certain age, maybe 13 or 14, they wore a yellow armband signifying they couldn't be tackled. Not sure if they still do. If Armytank is right, imagine what the suits would think about that.

What would people think of dropping the number of kids on a field? Say for u16's and 14's play with 15 on a field. Easing congestion could help game standards and ease a little pressure on clubs with smaller numbers.
TheBull
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:54 am

TheBull wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
heater31 wrote:

What would people think of dropping the number of kids on a field? Say for u16's and 14's play with 15 on a field. Easing congestion could help game standards and ease a little pressure on clubs with smaller numbers.

HFL only needs 12 from memory. If one team has 12 players & the other team has 18 they have to even it out to 15 each. Fair play rule I think its called
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Keefy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 pm

cracka wrote:
TheBull wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
heater31 wrote:[quote="Armytank"]I believe it is in the AFL guidelines for junior grades that they are not separated by anymore than two years. You may find that the two year age gap unfortunately is tied to the insurance (JLT).

HFL only needs 12 from memory. If one team has 12 players & the other team has 18 they have to even it out to 15 each. Fair play rule I think its called[/quote]Thats correct Cracka

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby norm11 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:21 pm

Nathan krakouer left iron bank.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Demon Juke » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:11 pm

norm11 wrote:Nathan krakouer left iron bank.

To PAOC
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy