HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

Postby Toto » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Can’t judge too harshly based on a trial game. I know Nairne have barely won a trial in years with a successful cricket club playing finals at the same time, people going away before the season starts etc, from what I hear about Maccy and some of the players they’ve picked up from the SFL. They will be a lot more competitive.

I agree on TV. All for giving
Chances, but when you’ve been playing smoke and mirrors with the league regarding how many numbers you actually have compared to what you’re saying you have, I think the HFL needs to take control. Clubs will be pissed when they start forfeiting reserves games at the very least...
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Toto » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:41 pm

Heard Echunga played Nairne yesterday and got up by a couple goals. Both missing a couple big names.
Toto
Under 16s

Postby jake the snake » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Apologies if I’ve been misinformed but heard this arvo a team has pulled out
jake the snake
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby doubletrouble » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:43 pm

jake the snake wrote:Apologies if I’ve been misinformed but heard this arvo a team has pulled out

If it isnt TV i will eat my own hat.
doubletrouble
Rookie

Been liked: 7 times

Postby Toto » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:31 am

Any more news on TV and whether or not they’re still going?
Can’t help but think they might get a similar serving to what Sedan or Callington were getting, if they manage to fill two sides!
Toto
Under 16s

Postby Fender14 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Tips for the first round? Assuming TV will be playing.
Fender14
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Toto » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Gumeracha
Bridgewater
Macclesfield
Nairne
Ironbank(just)
Toto
Under 16s

Postby cracka » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:59 am

TV facebook page saying there playing this Saturday.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:08 pm

cracka wrote:TV facebook page saying there playing this Saturday.

Amazing, maybe I'm being silly but I can't see how they will get 2 teams together for the full year. Losing 35+ players for a small town seems to hard to overcome but all the best to them for the year, hopefully there numbers stay strong.

The Juniors draws have finally come out, only 6 teams in the 18s and 5 in the 16s which isn't fantastic. Only birdwood and Kangy were able to get all 3 grades together, whilst sadly TV and Meadows couldn't get any. Although meadows do have strong under 9s and 11s so hopefully this is just a bad period for them which they will get over in the coming years.

As for the As this week my tips are as follows;

Gums V Birdwood- Gums by 5 goals. Birdwood have lost some serious quality and may fall away a bit this year. Gums on the other hand have lost mumford and Mciver but have picked up some decent players. Kicking goals without Mumford will be there big issue.

TV V Raiders- Bridgey by 10 goals. Honestly it's hard to see TV being very good considering there entire A grade is gone from last year. The Hocking boys and costanzo will dominate but there depth will be average at best. Bridgey will drop a little this year in my opinion having lost a few key players but the return of Hooper helps.

Meadows V Maccy - Maccy by 8 goals. Maccy appear to be much improved with 5 or 6 quality recruits coming on board, There depth will be the issue as they were frankly awful last year but expect big improvements this year. Meadows are in for a tough season having lost all of their tall timber and the heart of the club in Mark Thomas. Appear to have picked a good player from the KNTFL and Edmonds from echunga but they lack a lot of size and quality.

NB V Kangy - Nairne by 5 goals. Kangy were very competitive last year and will be better again this year with some more recruits. NB have lost a few and with Jaensch down at westies that will hurt also. There midfield is still the best in the comp though so they will still be one of the teams to beat.

Ironbank V Kersbrook - Ironbank by 2 goals. Kersbrook appear to have recruited really well to complement there older players and will be one of the flag favorites this year. They are never at 100% in round 1 though so I don't expect them to really hit there straps till later in the year. For the bankers we have had a solid off season with decent recruits and a lot of blokes returning to the club. The depth is certainly there this year which will help, especially early when we are without blokes like Geoff Munn who will return later in the year.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Toto wrote:Any more news on TV and whether or not they’re still going?
Can’t help but think they might get a similar serving to what Sedan or Callington were getting, if they manage to fill two sides!

Yes they are playing, but wondering if it may be a repeat of 1993 when Mt Torrens started but dropped to C grade after 5 games.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby SecretInformant » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:

Yes they are playing, but wondering if it may be a repeat of 1993 when Mt Torrens started but dropped to C grade after 5 games.

I don't think they'll have a C Grade option to drop to as only three teams nominated for the competition at the moment.

I think they'll be right until the middle part of the season when a few injuries hit. I think a lot clubs across the Hills are struggling for numbers and will be in the same boat.
SecretInformant

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby oldbomber » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:44 am

SecretInformant wrote:
Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:

I don't think they'll have a C Grade option to drop to as only three teams nominated for the competition at the moment.

I think they'll be right until the middle part of the season when a few injuries hit. I think a lot clubs across the Hills are struggling for numbers and will be in the same boat.

Overall i must say its really sad to see how much many clubs are struggling for numbers. I know down in places like kangaroo island b-grade can still go ahead with as few as 9 or 12 a side if both teams agree. Is it time in country footy in areas with dwindling populations and interest levels in our game we consider some options to make things more viable for the future.

Ideas i have include things like div 1 hills a grade stay 18 a side. Div 2 hills a grade 16 a side with b grades being flexible between clubs as required.

Many other team sports are 11 a side and we may be losing people to other sports for fear of injury or life getting too busy so i think we need to do whatever required to keep our rural communities alive. I have played Afl in europe with anywhere from 12-16 a side on a full field and as few as 9 a side on a soccer sized ground and they were all still great fun games. Continuing to play with smaller teams has to be better than just folding if that is what the future holds in some areas. Thought these type of ideas would be more about survival in remote and rural leagues but it appears even hills footy just half an hour from a major city is really struggling to retain player numbers.

Hopefully our great Australian game can find a second wind and really start to attract a boom of new players at all levels both junior and senior.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Dirty dog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Are the Hocking boys and Dom Costanzo still at TV?
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Pag » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Dirty dog wrote:Are the Hocking boys and Dom Costanzo still at TV?

Don't believe so. Tyrell may have stayed but the other two I believe have headed north.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:57 pm

Pag wrote:

Don't believe so. Tyrell may have stayed but the other two I believe have headed north.

North?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dirty dog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:

North?

South Clare I heard
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby saintal » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Watched some mates playing for TV today- caught the second half of the B's and the first of the A's. As widely predicted going to be a very, very long year for them. Was 7 goals to 2 just after quarter time, and from there Bridgy ended up on 31.27 to 2.3. TV couldn't manage a score after HT.

I think they had a couple of guys double up to allow at least one on the bench. Credit to those who have put their hand up to play, with a number being former players/locals. Hopefully they can see out the season.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Robran » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Dirty dog wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:

North?

South Clare I heard

Dom on crows top up list isn't he
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby BurntToast » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Just saw the Torrens Valley v Bridgewater game. I was expecting Torrens Valley to drop off, but not that much! Going to be a horrid year if they're to be the score lines.
BurntToast

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby wonder_kid » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Kangy 13-7 gums 10-10

9 goal 2nd half to 3 for kangy
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 46 times