best country footy coach

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: best country footy coach

Postby GWW » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:05 pm

Cybulka was obviously a sensational player, no one should argue with that. His record as a coach isn't quite up there though.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Ruben Carter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:30 pm

GWW wrote:Cybulka was obviously a sensational player, no one should argue with that. His record as a coach isn't quite up there though.
Yeah right... only 9 Grand Finals in a row... pretty pathetic coaching record really - you obviously believe a good coach should never even lose a match ?
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Pac-Man » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Pinch Hitter wrote:
Pac-Man wrote:
Signman1972 wrote:
Pac-Man wrote:Darren " Muppet" Thomas. 3 years coach at Willaston , 3 premierships. Not a bad record.

Malcom " Mullett " Mcgrath didnt have a bad record at South Gawler, couldnt tell you his exact stats but he did stand on the dias a couple of times during his tenor.

Is my Cousin Brandan Nottle still playn for Williston?

Notts is playing the Yellow Cabs social club match once a season these days. Last year he kicked 4 and picked up a fare back to Gawler , 2 drops.

notts had your measure many times pac-man in all departments on and off the field.

Never played against Notts, Pinch Hitter. I was a bit before his time. You ever Pinch Hit for him off the pine ?
Pac-Man
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby been there done that » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:
GWW wrote:Cybulka was obviously a sensational player, no one should argue with that. His record as a coach isn't quite up there though.
Yeah right... only 9 Grand Finals in a row... pretty pathetic coaching record really - you obviously believe a good coach should never even lose a match ?

How do you really know if you are a good coach? That is the question? If Ramblers had an absolute gun side for those 9 grand finals in a row and no one could get near them anyone with a little bit of footy knowledge could have coached them. Is there certain criteria you need to to be classed as a good coach? Is it someone who gets the best out of an ordinary side and they win games they shouldn't. I would like to hear your opinnion.
been there done that
Rookie

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:39 am

been there done that wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:

How do you really know if you are a good coach? That is the question? If Ramblers had an absolute gun side for those 9 grand finals in a row and no one could get near them anyone with a little bit of footy knowledge could have coached them. Is there certain criteria you need to to be classed as a good coach? Is it someone who gets the best out of an ordinary side and they win games they shouldn't. I would like to hear your opinnion.

That is an interesting point. To answer your question, I played 10 seasons under Cybulka. I also played under 6-7 other coaches as other clubs. He was a stand out in every aspect of the game and years ahead of his time. Given, Ramblers had a very talented list - no doubt but there are plenty of challenges with that as well. At the end of the day, coaches are after success in finals and that is what they are judged on. He also had an outstanding record of developing young players and guiding the stars.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Bobby Boston

Postby straight talker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Best football coach in the country by an absolute mile!! if players want to learn how to play the game well listen and you will learn.. only soft players and sooks cant handle him!!!! :) 8)
straight talker

Postby Hazbeen » Wed May 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Pac-Man wrote:Darren " Muppet" Thomas. 3 years coach at Willaston , 3 premierships. Not a bad record.

Malcom " Mullett " Mcgrath didnt have a bad record at South Gawler, couldnt tell you his exact stats but he did stand on the dias a couple of times during his tenor.

Muppet only coached Ressies didn't he? I played under him in 1990 at the Donny's. He later coached Roseworthy College in the APFL and they got pumped every single week so they went to A10 or something in the amateurs.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Re: Bobby Boston

Postby Hazbeen » Wed May 04, 2011 6:07 pm

straight talker wrote:Best football coach in the country by an absolute mile!! if players want to learn how to play the game well listen and you will learn.. only soft players and sooks cant handle him!!!! :) 8)

Back in the early to mid 90's I lived in Pirie when Bobby was coaching Ports during their run of flags but still played back home at Mallala. Used to train with Ports a bit with a mate from work who played there and old Bobby was a bit like Tommy Hafey at training. Whistle, running shorts and t-shirt and barked orders non-stop.

Went out to watch them on a Friday night game vs Sollies and snuck into the rooms as my mate was playing in the firsts. In the middle of Bob's pre-match rant he said something like "I want you boys to fire up tonight, to be ready to run thru walls and I wouldn;t ask you to do anything I wouldn't do" and with that he bolted head down straight at the old brick change room wall at Memorial Oval crashed into it and spilt his forehead open. He then put a towel up to it and "now go out and get em!"

What a nutter!!! but a hell of a coach
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby the big fella » Thu May 05, 2011 10:28 am

Best country coaches ever..

Richard Hill..Hahndorf

Brenton Smith..Strath

Thats a start..
the big fella
Under 18s

Postby Goldberg » Thu May 05, 2011 10:38 am

Trevor Potts, Mick Redden,
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 05, 2011 11:12 am

Hazbeen wrote:
straight talker wrote:Best football coach in the country by an absolute mile!! if players want to learn how to play the game well listen and you will learn.. only soft players and sooks cant handle him!!!! :) 8)

Back in the early to mid 90's I lived in Pirie when Bobby was coaching Ports during their run of flags but still played back home at Mallala. Used to train with Ports a bit with a mate from work who played there and old Bobby was a bit like Tommy Hafey at training. Whistle, running shorts and t-shirt and barked orders non-stop.

Went out to watch them on a Friday night game vs Sollies and snuck into the rooms as my mate was playing in the firsts. In the middle of Bob's pre-match rant he said something like "I want you boys to fire up tonight, to be ready to run thru walls and I wouldn;t ask you to do anything I wouldn't do" and with that he bolted head down straight at the old brick change room wall at Memorial Oval crashed into it and spilt his forehead open. He then put a towel up to it and "now go out and get em!"

Sensational! Did they win??
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Hazbeen » Thu May 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:

Sensational! Did they win??

Think so, went pretty well undefeated for a couple of years.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby hotspur » Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Can't believe no-one's mentioned the late Mark Pitman in the BL&G, with Freeling, Tanunda and Kapunda. A great footballer who led by example, became successful non playing coach at Kapunda; a teacher to young players as well as a tactician and leader. Ask anyone in the Barossa. He was what the game is all about in the country.
hotspur
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby FRED » Fri May 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Grant Russell
FRED
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Bum Crack » Fri May 06, 2011 5:17 pm

FRED wrote:Grant Russell

:shock:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby The Duke » Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Hazbeen wrote:

Heard many a story about his antics from a mate that played under him back in the Port glory days.
Heard he used to tell a good ANZAC story or two. But one day he wanted to show the team how hard they needed to be, so he began grinding his knuckles against the wall until they bleed.
Also remember a story when he copped a suspension for coaching and wasn't allowed at the ground, so he hired a cherry picker and coached the game from over the fence.
Are you prepared to pay the price? WILL YOU PAY THE PRICE?
The Duke
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby 7-Dog » Fri May 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Bobby is one of a kind.
So many stories, but the best one I heard was:

He was giving a player a spray about being soft. The player got up and punched Bob right in the nose, blood pouring out he turns to the player and used words to the effect of "now take that attack out there"
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
7-Dog
Reserves

Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby Archer11 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:57 pm

I would have thought Barry Pilmore who has had success in the SFL and now big success in the GSFL would be right up there.
Archer11

Postby straight talker » Fri May 27, 2011 9:16 pm

what about max bickley, brian webb and patty hynes??? the worst by a mile would have to be Roger Harris, Stephen Magor Peter Osbourne, Brian Butchy Smith and you would have to throw in Adrian Duck Davies!!!
straight talker

Postby t express » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Archer11 wrote:I would have thought Barry Pilmore who has had success in the SFL and now big success in the GSFL would be right up there.

and state country coach....have had the pleasure of being coached by this great man
t express
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy