Slippery!
big-whopper
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Re: best country footy coach

Postby MOHAMMAD » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Steve Laubke engineered 3 premierships for Tanunda and handed list on in a better shape than he found it.
Freeling for 2011 Premiership
MOHAMMAD
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby footymusic » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Hey Killa, I'm pretty sure the bloke that took West Augusta to those 5 premierships was a broadbridge, his lad went onto play for Melbourne, and was killed in the Indonesian tsunami.
footymusic

Grassroots Team: Renmark

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:29 am

footymusic wrote:Hey Killa, I'm pretty sure the bloke that took West Augusta to those 5 premierships was a broadbridge, his lad went onto play for Melbourne, and was killed in the Indonesian tsunami.

That'd be Wayne, ex Port Adelaide legend in SANFL & did well coaching Mt Lofty also.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby X Runna » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Best - Colin Kavanagh at Mallala in the very early 80's

Worst - Trevor Radloff at Mallala straight after Kavanagh.
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby RyderCourtney » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Navy2005 wrote:
GWW wrote:Tim Richards would be up there as far as premierships won in the last decade is concerned. Certainly helped by a cashed up Jervoi$ but the score is on the board (4 premierships at Jervois, and one before at Meningie).

Tim Richards has got 5 premierships and has had a successful career. But he bought the flag at Meningie when he was there I know Tim well but money won that flag at Meningie and Mansell did more of the coaching then Tim. Tim's coaching may have improved but didn't coach that well at Meningie.

Can't comment on his flags at Jervois as I wasn't there but know there wasn't much coaching invoved in the Bears flag win.

Were you playing for the Bears then Navy???
RyderCourtney
Under 16s

Has liked: 6 times

Postby PPLions » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 am

Damien Foster
PPLions
Under 18s

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: West Augusta

Re: Bobby Boston

Postby Sniper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Hazbeen wrote:
straight talker wrote:Best football coach in the country by an absolute mile!! if players want to learn how to play the game well listen and you will learn.. only soft players and sooks cant handle him!!!! :) 8)

Back in the early to mid 90's I lived in Pirie when Bobby was coaching Ports during their run of flags but still played back home at Mallala. Used to train with Ports a bit with a mate from work who played there and old Bobby was a bit like Tommy Hafey at training. Whistle, running shorts and t-shirt and barked orders non-stop.

Went out to watch them on a Friday night game vs Sollies and snuck into the rooms as my mate was playing in the firsts. In the middle of Bob's pre-match rant he said something like "I want you boys to fire up tonight, to be ready to run thru walls and I wouldn;t ask you to do anything I wouldn't do" and with that he bolted head down straight at the old brick change room wall at Memorial Oval crashed into it and spilt his forehead open. He then put a towel up to it and "now go out and get em!"

What a nutter!!! but a hell of a coach

Could suggest the "Impact Coach" and make reference to the Birthday cake story but I am sure the forum wants more on Bob Boston ...... this is the stuff of legends !
Sniper
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Central Eyre

Postby Navy2005 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 pm

RyderCourtney wrote:
Navy2005 wrote:
GWW wrote:Tim Richards would be up there as far as premierships won in the last decade is concerned. Certainly helped by a cashed up Jervoi$ but the score is on the board (4 premierships at Jervois, and one before at Meningie).

Tim Richards has got 5 premierships and has had a successful career. But he bought the flag at Meningie when he was there I know Tim well but money won that flag at Meningie and Mansell did more of the coaching then Tim. Tim's coaching may have improved but didn't coach that well at Meningie.

Can't comment on his flags at Jervois as I wasn't there but know there wasn't much coaching invoved in the Bears flag win.

RyderCourtney No I passed through Meningie that year and was talking to Tim he showed me his side and to my amazment there were about very few locals and the A grade were just about all paid players coming up from Adelaide. To his credit he was paying for quite a few of them out of his own pocket though.
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby RyderCourtney » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:32 am

Navy2005 wrote:
RyderCourtney wrote:
Navy2005 wrote:

RyderCourtney No I passed through Meningie that year and was talking to Tim he showed me his side and to my amazment there were about very few locals and the A grade were just about all paid players coming up from Adelaide. To his credit he was paying for quite a few of them out of his own pocket though.

Reckon there were 10-11 locals playing. Half the team. Not sure how that measures up with other premiership teams
RyderCourtney
Under 16s

Postby Navy2005 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:29 pm

RyderCourtney
Pretty sure the side he showed me had at least 15-16 paid players in his line up and most of them weren't locals but that was very early in the season but Tim alluded that he was still waiting to add a couple more. So that is the basis for my comment on the Bears flag through talking to Tim personally. He has gone on to have alot of success elsewhere particularly Jervois just saying from talking to Tim alot of money seemed to have gone into that premiership.
Navy2005
Under 16s

Postby livefooty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Pilmore by a long shot imo !
livefooty
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Robe

best country footy coach

Postby RyderCourtney » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Navy2005 wrote:RyderCourtney
Pretty sure the side he showed me had at least 15-16 paid players in his line up and most of them weren't locals but that was very early in the season but Tim alluded that he was still waiting to add a couple more. So that is the basis for my comment on the Bears flag through talking to Tim personally. He has gone on to have alot of success elsewhere particularly Jervois just saying from talking to Tim alot of money seemed to have gone into that premiership.

No doubt a lot of $$$ went into that flag. Def know there was 10 locals atleast from the premiership photo. Was a bit of a build up though, most of those guys were there for their 2nd year atleast and a fair whack of them played in the next years losing GF.
RyderCourtney
Under 16s

best country footy coach

Postby RyderCourtney » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Personally I enjoyed Timmy as a coach. Very passionate coach.
RyderCourtney
Under 16s

Postby countryboy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:25 pm

think Buff Tyrell's record at Barmera might be hard to beat - 9 in 10 years after the club had a 45 year drought. Played against Barmera for a while late in that era and they were almost unbeatable
countryboy

Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Free Kick For » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Going back a while but from Whyalla Football League website;

John McInerney began his League career in 1948 with North Whyalla who were coached by Gordon Barbary (father of Barry)
He was an extremely talented rover, nuggety and tough, fit and fast, wonderfully skilled and blessed with a magnificent football brain.
During his nine year playing career with the Magpies, McInerney was fortunate in playing in more winning grand finals under such outstanding football identities as Bill Sutherland and Donald Neil "Knuckles" Kerley.
After nine enormously successful years with North, McInerney was given the opportunity to coach West Whyalla. Ironically, after unsuccessfully applying for the 'A' Grade coaching position for West Whyalla in 1956, John McInerney was literally 'headhunted' by then West Whyalla Treasurer Mr Arthur Beaton for the 1957 season.
Immediate results were forthcoming. The dynamic Captain-Coach John McInerney lifted his team from third in 1956 to Premiers in 1957, winning 14 of the 16 games they participated in and defeating South by 39 points.
This was the first 'A' Grade premiership for West Whyalla who had entered the competition in 1945 and they completed a clean sweep by winning the 'B' grade and Colts premiership also.
1958 was even more successful with the 'A' grade remaining unbeaten for the year and the club achieving another treble of premierships.
McInerney policy of fostering their juniors and his inspiring and sagacious leadership were instrumental in the Clubs success.
His ability to marshall his troops and never say die attitude had earned him 'The General' tag.
More hard work on and off the Club by McInerney and other Club stalwarts in 1959 produced a treble of trebles, three more premierships.
And in what was supposedly McInerneys last season as a player and coach, and the Whyalla Football Leagues last as a 'stand alone' Association (the Spencer Gulf League (SGL) comprising of Port Pirie, Port Augusta and Whyalla was formed in 1961) West Whyalla were once again successful in all three grades in 1960.
McInerney's play and leadership was brilliant in the Grand Final against Centrals as the Dragons romped in by 73 points.
John McInerney, four years as West Captain-Coach, premiers for four years, played 64 games and won 58.
For his dedication and services to West Whyalla, John was awarded Life Membership at the completion of season 1960.
Illness to new coach Ray 'Bulla' McGuire resulted in McInerney assuming the mantle as 'Caretaker Playing Coach' during the 1961 season but the Club missed the finals and McInerney ended the season with a broken collarbone and this time his retirement from playing was confirmed!.
In 1966 McInerney was persuaded to resume his coaching career which he did through to 1975.
In 1967 the Whyalla Football League left the S.G.L.
During this reign 'The General' coached West to premierships in 1967, and 1969 - 1973 (known as the Clubs 'Golden Era' ).
Two of McInerney's sons, Kevin and Peter played together in premierships coached by 'Dad' in 1971, 1972 and 1973.
In summary John McInerney coached West Whyalla into 13 Grand Finals and achieved the ultimate success 10 times.

His complete Whyalla Football playing career totalled 258 games and 34 representative games. On Numerous occasions he also coached the Whyalla representative teams.

John's three sons also had distinguished playing careers with West Whyalla, Kevin 309 games which at the time was a club record, Peter 83 (and over 150 games for Glenelg and 2 state games) and Mark 100.
The three brothers were members of the Dragons 1983 Premiership team coached by Graeme 'Fritz' Fargher, who co-incidentally credits John McInerney as having the greatest influence on his own outstanding career.

A footballing dynasty that continues today with the' sons of Mark' displaying all the skills with West Whyalla junior teams.
Free Kick For

Been liked: 1 time

Postby OnSong » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Nice guy too, from memory.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Navy2005 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 pm

RyderCourtney wrote:
Navy2005 wrote:RyderCourtney

No doubt a lot of $$$ went into that flag. Def know there was 10 locals atleast from the premiership photo. Was a bit of a build up though, most of those guys were there for their 2nd year atleast and a fair whack of them played in the next years losing GF.

Interested to see how he'll go with Kingston?
Navy2005
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy