Mallee FL

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Mallee FL

Postby human_torpedo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Onya Corey Rex! I'd back him as the man to drag Karoonda back up the ladder. He would be busy at work already if I know him
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby oldbomber » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:08 pm

With footy only a couple of weeks away, I think the league as a whole is shaping up to be quite close this year with the exception of murrayville.

17' predictions

Peake seem to have kept most and the hurt of losing 2 recent gf's makes me think its third time lucky for them so picking lions for premiers.
bdt are always up and about by late august/september and could very well fox all year then hit form and take it home again.
Karoonda with their bulk inwards clearances and knight returning as coach should be the big improvers and will make up the top 3.
Pinnaroo and lameroo will fight it out for 4th and 5th spot.
Sadly if you read the papers over off season murrayville look set to struggle just to survive and get a team on the park each week let alone be competitive. Hope they find some numbers, a few reserve forfeits here and there is bad enough but a league with only 5 teams in the future is not ideal at all.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby dragonsphere » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Righto people, time to make some predictions:

PREMIERS: BDT
R/UP: PEAKE
MAIL MEDAL: Lachy Wilson (Peake)
dragonsphere
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Border Downs-Tintinara

Postby oldbomber » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:08 pm

dragonsphere wrote:Righto people, time to make some predictions:

PREMIERS: BDT
R/UP: PEAKE
MAIL MEDAL: Lachy Wilson (Peake)

Ill stick with my pre season pick for now.
Premiers: Peake
R/up: BDT
Medal: corey knight karoonda

Hoping its peake but wouldnt be shocked if bdt hit form late and take it home yet again. For the first time in years though i think anyone in the top 4 are a legitimate chance as it has been a very exciting and even competition. What happened to micah vanloon? Is he back for finals?
oldbomber
Rookie

Postby oldbomber » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Well done to Peake FC. First mallee league premiership and first flag in 23 years.

Dominated the play in a low scoring game but made very very hard work of it missing many easy shots on goal in the 3rd and held on for only a 5 point win in the end. Supa roos missed a sitter running into open goal from 20 out with 2 mins to go that would have levelled scores, poor fella would be kicking himself still. Siren went not long after with roos surging hard again so lucky for the lions! Great contest and was a nailbiting grand final in the end!
oldbomber
Rookie

Postby Benchwarmer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:06 pm

2019 fixture...

Mallee.pdf
(85.7 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby carey » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:59 pm

Wasn’t sure the Mallee still had a forum :shock:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Benchwarmer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:06 pm

I am on the look out for some old 'Football Records' from the Tatiara Football League (which ended after the 1992 season) and copies of the 'Budget' from the old Kowree Naracoorte Football League.

Home and away or finals editions are fine. I would prefer hard copies but scans are fine as well.

Please message me if you can assist.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Postby Benchwarmer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Just wondering if any clubs have recently released a club history book or whether clubs who have released books in the past still have copies available.

It would be nice to add another history book or two to my sporting library.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Postby Information HWY » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Looks like the MFL and other Murraylands/Border leagues are set for a shake up in the not too distant future!

BDT.png
BDT.png (490.43 KiB) Viewed 4252 times
Information HWY
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Information HWY » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:07 pm

RIP to the Mallee Football League?

6A0E9EAE-553E-4D57-85A2-8832E094C448.jpeg
6A0E9EAE-553E-4D57-85A2-8832E094C448.jpeg (335.99 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
Information HWY
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby carey » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:34 pm

I think you'll find Peake and Karoonda may be merging and following in the footsteps of BDT in to the RMFL.

Unfortunately the Mallee simply isn't sustainable with junior numbers, this trend has been in decline for a few years now.

Sad, But true.

Where this leaves Pinnaroo and Lameroo, i honestly dont know.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby tipper » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:46 pm

carey wrote:I think you'll find Peake and Karoonda may be merging and following in the footsteps of BDT in to the RMFL.

Unfortunately the Mallee simply isn't sustainable with junior numbers, this trend has been in decline for a few years now.

Sad, But true.

Where this leaves Pinnaroo and Lameroo, i honestly dont know.

yep, announced last night on Facebook, peake and Karoonda are going to "make all nescessary moves" to enter the RMFL

if they manage it, that would only leave pinaroo and lameroo as orphans.

i really doubt if the RMFL would accept them being so much further out (no guaranteee they will accept a combined peake/karoonda side either)

sad times. really makes me wish that i got out to see more games out there these last few years
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:22 pm

Some people criticising lack of support from SANFL, SACFL and even AFL but this situation is not about money which is the only real support of substance that those bodies can provide. As someone earlier said - do you want those bodies to snap their fingers and double a towns population.

A 6 team league in the most isolated corridor of Eastern SA was always going to hit a breaking point at some stage. You can blame APPS, salary cap etc. etc. all you like, but dwindling populations and a towns genuine ability to field football and netball teams without needing over half your footy playing stocks coming from the City or elsewhere can't be sustained forever.

The % of country kids that get sent to boarding school in the city these days is also clearly a major issue for fielding country junior teams compared to years back. Covid has also seemingly fast tracked the problems some leagues and clubs are facing because it seems less city based players have headed to the country leagues the last 2 seasons.

Having spent a long weekend in the sleepy village of Padthaway a couple of years back I witnessed first hand the importance of the local footy/netball club for the local community particularly in a town without a pub. Where the SANFL & SACFL has maybe dropped the ball is not being more robust with forward planning and solutions for RFL, Independents, RMFL, MFL, KNTFL, MSEFL & WBFL. This proposed Limestone Coast League was starting to scratch the surface but from memory that has been driven by the WBFL and hasn't made alot of progress due to other leagues and clubs not showing much interest.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby saintal » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:39 pm

Mallee Football League & Mallee Netball Association

The Executive Committees of the Mallee Football League & Mallee Netball Association can confirm that Karoonda Districts Football & Netball Clubs along with Peake & District Football & Netball Clubs have advised they intend to amalgamate and apply to enter the River Murray Football & Netball Leagues from 2023.
Murrayville Football & Netball Clubs have advised they have applied to join the Murray Valley Football & Netball League and intend to play there in the 2023 season.
Border Downs Tintinara Football & Netball Clubs have previously advised they are amalgamating with Meningie Football & Netball Clubs and participating in the River Murray Football & Netball Leagues from 2023.
These decisions have been brought about by declining volunteer numbers and also declining junior numbers in both football and netball.
These decisions will mean the Mallee Football League & Mallee Netball Association will not exist in 2023.
Lameroo & Pinnaroo Football & Netball Clubs are in the process of consulting their members to determine how they will operate in 2023.
The Mallee Football League & Mallee Netball Association has been in existence since 1994 with the amalgamation of the previous Lameroo & Districts League and Murraylands League.
While disappointed with the outcome we respect the decisions of all clubs to endeavour to ensure there is football and netball played in their community into the future.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby oldbomber » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:13 pm

yep, announced last night on Facebook, peake and Karoonda are going to "make all nescessary moves" to enter the RMFL

if they manage it, that would only leave pinaroo and lameroo as orphans.

i really doubt if the RMFL would accept them being so much further out (no guaranteee they will accept a combined peake/karoonda side either)

sad times. really makes me wish that i got out to see more games out there these last few years[/quote]

I cant see why the rmfl wont accept pinnaroo and lameroo if thats the way they choose to go. Its only 2hrs to mannum and meningie as opposed to the 3hrs travel it is from blanchetown and cambrai to murrayville those clubs are now expected to travel in new murray valley football league that is not even established fully as yet. Apparently murrayville is all good to join even without consultation with other existing clubs in league why would it be any different in rmfl is my question?

Can a league not accept a club based on this amount of travel? Who decides? CFL? SANFL. Mallee folding has caused a s#!t storm with other leagues. If only they gave it a go with 5 teams for a year or too and planned it better. Now lots of leagues in the dark for next year. Sad day
oldbomber
Rookie

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:07 am

Pinnaroo and Lameroo merging to the RMFL is the only viable and logical option from an outsiders point of view. The RIverland is too far as well as is Sunraysia (They’d get absolutely smashed in the Victorian Leagues either way). I’m still a bit shocked about Murrayville going to the newly formed Murray Valley FL as they will be very hard to beat in that comp.

It’s more common than not in far Western Victoria where multiple towns combine to form one Football/Netball Club. In a similar surrounding it was only time before that happened here in SA.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Aerie » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:21 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Pinnaroo and Lameroo merging to the RMFL is the only viable and logical option from an outsiders point of view. The RIverland is too far as well as is Sunraysia (They’d get absolutely smashed in the Victorian Leagues either way). I’m still a bit shocked about Murrayville going to the newly formed Murray Valley FL as they will be very hard to beat in that comp.

It’s more common than not in far Western Victoria where multiple towns combine to form one Football/Netball Club. In a similar surrounding it was only time before that happened here in SA.

Karoonda was already a merger of Wynarka, United, Karoonda Borrika back in the early 90's. At a similar time the Southern Yorke Peninsula sides merged from 6 to 2 to join the YP league.

I agree re Pinnaroo and Lameroo merging to join RMFL as well.

The danger is the time and cost of travel gets too much for more people.

This is where the AFL/SANFL could step in and maybe contribute some of their billions.

How about free bus services on game days between the towns to get players and supporters to where they need to be? I'd imagine there are already school buses etc in the area? This might employ a few more people and get some families moving out to these areas as a result?

Also, some more support to the media companies streaming the games, keeping footy and netball front of mind even if supporters can't get to games as often. If they follow on the streaming services, they are more likely to keep engaged with their club and contribute when they can, rather than being lost to the sports.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:12 pm

Talking to a few people in regional area's the main issue with population is farms are getting bigger and bigger, technology allows this and the prices on land have never been higher. It is near on impossible for a young family to start up a farm these days without being part of a succession plan.

Farming in the last few years has never been better, but the population drain will continue while existing farmers just get bigger and bigger by taking over their neighbours.

I take my hat off to any volunteers in these leagues & clubs that keep their footy club going, even if it means extensive travel - its miles better than clubs folding.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:Talking to a few people in regional area's the main issue with population is farms are getting bigger and bigger, technology allows this and the prices on land have never been higher. It is near on impossible for a young family to start up a farm these days without being part of a succession plan.

Farming in the last few years has never been better, but the population drain will continue while existing farmers just get bigger and bigger by taking over their neighbours.

I take my hat off to any volunteers in these leagues & clubs that keep their footy club going, even if it means extensive travel - its miles better than clubs folding.

Yeah absolutely our local area has less farm owners than ever (less families owning greater amounts of land) and due to technology etc they are not needing to employ anywhere near as many as they once did. Especially when you throw in farmers using contractors.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy