Future of Football in SA

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Future of Football in SA

Postby FootyWiz81 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:47 pm

is the Future bright in Football anymore. soon clubs will have to be millionairs and Paying Players will be a must do thing.

I would like to here peoples view on this and who are the Future stars of the Country Scene?
MFL
RMFL
HFL
??
??
??
??
??
??
all of them i wanna know who the gun 17s and 15s are and where they can go..

every one has a young fella they just love watching, i wanna know who yours are.
FootyWiz81
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Future of Football in SA

Postby sunbowler » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:28 pm

FootyWiz81 wrote:is the Future bright in Football anymore. soon clubs will have to be millionairs and Paying Players will be a must do thing.

I would like to here peoples view on this and who are the Future stars of the Country Scene?
MFL
RMFL
HFL
??
??
??
??
??
??

every one has a young fella they just love watching, i wanna know who yours are.

Great topic and it should generate the most interest if we are serious. My personal view is that we have to embrace recompensing our players in the bigger competitions. In my experience 99.5% of players, even the well paid ones, don't play just for the money. There are easier ways to earn a buck! That doesn't mean they won't take as much as they can, however paid or unpaid in comps like the BLG, Whyalla, Hills Central etc, clubs expect a heck of a lot from their players. To play long term A Grade in some of these competitons is a real achievement, however the SANFL in particcular doesn't give it the regard it deserves. I think all clubs should be moving in the direction of semi professionalism. I would rather pay three young blokes $200 a game than an ex league hasbeen $600. I know which team would be most likely to be successful in the long term. As most clubs found under the salary cap, the money when out in the open and budgetted can be found.
sunbowler

Postby Goldberg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:21 pm

Footy in country area's is quite often the life blood of a region socially, & therefore has a huge impact on the community. It's a incredibly involved & complex situation to have the same businesses/people opening their wallets year after year to help sides:
a, Stay alive
b, Be competitive
With no easy answers. Unfortunately salary caps simply dont work, with under the table payments happening all over the state. Points systems have their merits, but fail to recognise that they promote under acheivement, & player number systems are simply un-workable for teams who dont have the local numbers to fill the rest. In a perfect world NO PAYMENTS would be a fantastic thing for country footy, but this will never happen, because of rural numbers decreasing at a huge rate. In the RMFL alone, there would be 4 Clubs that if they did not have imported players would not have a reserves side going around, or if they did it would be guys that probably should not be playing anymore, but have so much passion for their club would pull on a jumper each week, even tho that may mean personal injury, & do we really want to put these older blokes in that sort of position.
Teams that are centrally positioned in regional cities will always be fine, but the smaller towns are not coping so well, & with the added bonus for SA, & our current state of water issues etc, $$$ are not as forth coming as they used to be for clubs, but the pressure to be competitive is still as high as ever.
My suggestion:
Lets form some kind of Division system within regions eg: Central Division, Southern Districts etc etc & have Sister teams allocated to each Div 1 side. For example If the RMFL was to go for this they would have a Div 1,2, 3 & 4 sides called Murray Bridge (or whatever) & sides like Jervois, Tailem Bend, & Mypolonga could all be part of it, with the Div 2 & 3 & 4 sides based at the outer grounds.
I think eventually we will have to get past all our prides, because footy in its current state is not going to survive, especiall if we continue to have this $$$ mentality
I remember when there were no less then 10 more teams then the current number in the Mallee FL alone & I'm sure every region has the same sort of numbers. We have to move & re-create if we want to survive long term

End rant
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby Goldberg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Maybe even 2 sides from each region!!!!

Re think :lol: :lol:
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby GWW » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:21 pm

I think a significant issue is what will happen as far as movement of clubs into other leagues is concerned. I don't think there will be a "super league", at least in the next 25 years, but i can foresee the possibility of a few clubs changing leagues.

The River Murray League needs an 8th club, so surely that will be resolved within the next 2 to 3 years! Who will it be though? Callington could become another MB Redlegs so the League will probably be reluctant to let them enter the league. What will happen with Karoonda? At the end of the year no doubt there will be rumours re mergers with Tailem, or maybe Peake (in which case they would remain in the Mallee League).

What will happen with Willunga in the GSFL? Will the other clubs in that league be content to play second fiddle for the next 10 or however many years? I've heard theres been some rumblings from other clubs, will anything ever happen on a formal basis as far as pressure being put on them to move to another league. I guess we'll all have to wait and see there.

Given the strength of the club, and its geographical location, they really should be in the Southern League, whilst a club such as Aldinga maybe should look towards the GSFL. A merger between Aldinga and Hackham, who knows maybe thats inevitable within the next 5 years??

The other issue is the points system. I think its here to stay in the various leagues, but will it be modified, no doubt it will, as the various leagues get a guage on how successful or otherwise its been in its first year.

Interesting times ahead.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby BlueBoy1991 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:00 am

FootyWiz81 wrote:is the Future bright in Football anymore. soon clubs will have to be millionairs and Paying Players will be a must do thing.

MFL
RMFL
HFL
??
??
??
??
??
??

every one has a young fella they just love watching, i wanna know who yours are

This is a good topic and more people need to post comments about it because it is something we all need to think about. we keep paying players 700 a game how are the clubs going to survive with all the price rises and everything.

And the other thing is i wanna see who people think are the future stars of eash league's like under 17s and 15 players in todays game. i liking hearing bout the future but still dont know who the future starts are from GSFL and RMFL can someone please tell me. .
BlueBoy1991

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy