Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby Swamp Donkey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Hazbeen wrote:Landmark Cup team

Balaklava - Shane Moss, Tom Chapman, Jason McPharlin, Ryan McPharlin, Caleb McPharlin, Josh Harkness, Chad Ruiz, Nick Fergusson (vc)
HWE - Henry Wright (U21), Sam Roads, Jordan Bailey (U21), Luke Forrest, Nathan Brynes (U21), Nathan Studham (U21)
Mallala - Sam Angus, Sam Clements
Two Wells - Tyrell Hocking (U21), Andrew Hardiman, Dylan Wise, Brandon Daly (c), Jamie Humphrys (U21)
United - Travis Beard, Sebastian Quaini

Plenty of notable omissions but for the format of the Landmark Cup that's a pretty good side - much stronger than last year, and has some genuine pace.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby OnSong » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:11 pm

23rd man wrote:Comparing this side to the NAFA side on paper is just scary!! Any news on Gameau Onsong?? Or why there’s no ruckman?

Sam Michael was released from WWTE initially but got pulled out during training after a reserves ruckman did a hammy at training.

Slattery trained but his knee was no good and I'm pretty sure the selectors are hoping Kale Olds from Mallala can do the gig if Norwood don't need him.

Gameau wasn't in the initial squad.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby magpieeagle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:09 pm

OnSong wrote:
23rd man wrote:Comparing this side to the NAFA side on paper is just scary!! Any news on Gameau Onsong?? Or why there’s no ruckman?

Sam Michael was released from WWTE initially but got pulled out during training after a reserves ruckman did a hammy at training.

Slattery trained but his knee was no good and I'm pretty sure the selectors are hoping Kale Olds from Mallala can do the gig if Norwood don't need him.

Gameau wasn't in the initial squad.

Olds playing for Norwood, Michael in WWTFC.
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby magpieeagle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Dirty dog wrote:
Snags wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:Good footballers don’t play for $200 anymore.

What a load of crap

Not talking about locals, locals play for nothing. Bute and Ardrossan need quality recruits to lift the standard of their teams.No genuine gun from town is going to travel up to Yorke’s every Saturday for $200 or less.

Locals play for nothing, yeah right.
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby 23rd man » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 pm

This isn’t directed at you OS but why should guys like Staple and Edmead have to give up their long weekend to play rep footy after having spent multiple years in the SANFL yet Harry G who is by far and away the best ruckman in our league isn’t even in the squad?? He isn’t injured and has played 5/6 games 3 of which are against Hamley, AV and United so soreness isn’t even a possibility.

Congrats to Sam Angus making his debut at age 30
23rd man

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby OnSong » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:08 pm

23rd man wrote:This isn’t directed at you OS but why should guys like Staple and Edmead have to give up their long weekend to play rep footy after having spent multiple years in the SANFL yet Harry G who is by far and away the best ruckman in our league isn’t even in the squad?? He isn’t injured and has played 5/6 games 3 of which are against Hamley, AV and United so soreness isn’t even a possibility.

Congrats to Sam Angus making his debut at age 30

It's a very good question re Gameau. He should absolutely have been put into the squad but was away in the early weeks so perhaps that's why he wasn't in it. Still doesn't explain why he wasn't called in but that's how it goes.

I don't have a problem with Edmead/Staple required to play association footy. What their time in the SANFL has anything to do with benefiting our comp is beyond me. I'm jealous how the good players in the NAFA put their hands up voluntarily while blokes in our comp would rather have a week's suspension.
OnSong
Coach

Postby hairy cat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:18 pm

Think you’ll find Edmead has a genuine hammy
hairy cat
Under 16s

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby Ace of Spades » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Re Gameau, don’t the coaches from each club initially put names forward and the powers that be select the rest?
Ace of Spades
Reserves

Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Swamp Donkey » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:10 pm

Ace of Spades wrote:Re Gameau, don’t the coaches from each club initially put names forward and the powers that be select the rest?

Not this year. Squad was selected after Rd 2 by APFL board.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby 23rd man » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:58 am

Oh Lordy
23rd man

Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby OnSong » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:43 am

hairy cat wrote:Think you’ll find Edmead has a genuine hammy

Oh yeah I think his reasons for not playing are genuine, just addressing the whole "I've played SANFL so representing the APFL is below my tenure" suggestion.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm

A disappointing 4th spot on Saturday at the Landmark Cup.

Suspension will be interesting this week with a player selected in the final 23 not bothering to show up to Riverton without letting anyone know so we were down to 22 for the day.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Snags » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 am

Any news on official suspensions?
Snags
Under 16s

Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Hazbeen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:56 pm

I know the league is hard up for umpires and we need to be grateful for the ones we have but something needs to done about having them officiate at neutral venues rather than have umpires officiating at their "home" clubs to negate the appearance of bias. In our game the umpire with links to our opponent made several questionable decisions, all in the favour of the visiting team which may or may not have affected the result but from the outside looking in it appears to be so.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times

Postby OnSong » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Hazbeen wrote:I know the league is hard up for umpires and we need to be grateful for the ones we have but something needs to done about having them officiate at neutral venues rather than have umpires officiating at their "home" clubs to negate the appearance of bias. In our game the umpire with links to our opponent made several questionable decisions, all in the favour of the visiting team which may or may not have affected the result but from the outside looking in it appears to be so.

You're talking about Harris and Two Wells.

In my opinion, I think Harris is one of the best we've got. The perception of bias becomes stronger with the natural frustration when a call goes against you.

I'm also told we have better umpires in the APFL than the NEFL or YPFL by those in the know. So ultimately we've got more to be thankful for than we probably think at times.

Getting used to nuances certain umpires have is also a difficulty. We had the fella who calls 25m for ANY questioning of ANYTHING on Saturday. Two 25m penalties came because of things yelled from the benches by coaching staff or assistants. :lol:

You soon learn to contain your frustrations.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:24 pm

OnSong wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:I know the league is hard up for umpires and we need to be grateful for the ones we have but something needs to done about having them officiate at neutral venues rather than have umpires officiating at their "home" clubs to negate the appearance of bias. In our game the umpire with links to our opponent made several questionable decisions, all in the favour of the visiting team which may or may not have affected the result but from the outside looking in it appears to be so.

You're talking about Harris and Two Wells.

In my opinion, I think Harris is one of the best we've got. The perception of bias becomes stronger with the natural frustration when a call goes against you.

I'm also told we have better umpires in the APFL than the NEFL or YPFL by those in the know. So ultimately we've got more to be thankful for than we probably think at times.

Getting used to nuances certain umpires have is also a difficulty. We had the fella who calls 25m for ANY questioning of ANYTHING on Saturday. Two 25m penalties came because of things yelled from the benches by coaching staff or assistants. :lol:

You soon learn to contain your frustrations.

Surely it's not too much to ask that umpires which are linked to an APFL club (or clubs, in one case) do not umpire matches involving that club. It totally removes any of this discussion around bias.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby OnSong » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:32 pm

I don't know. I think it's about who is available and where can they be at any given time.

Andrew Jettner does every HWE reserves match. Rob Veitch begrudgingly had to do Balak v Virginia A grade.

Francis Pellizzari does some Two Wells reserves and colts so he can watch his kid/s during the day too.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:36 pm

OnSong wrote:I don't know. I think it's about who is available and where can they be at any given time.

Andrew Jettner does every HWE reserves match. Rob Veitch begrudgingly had to do Balak v Virginia A grade.

Francis Pellizzari does some Two Wells reserves and colts so he can watch his kid/s during the day too.

I can understand the logic, but for A Grade games, where the two umpires are getting paid a reasonable amount of money I don't think it's too much to ask.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Makes me appreciate the very very good umpiring panel we have in the Barossa
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Pretty rich considering your club is getting this "perceived bias" advantage most weeks in 2 of the junior grades and b grade.
For what it's worth I don't think any field umpires deliberately favour a team, sure some could be better but they could certainly be worse too!
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy