Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:59 pm

Hey, I wasn't comparing their achievements! I loved Rick as a player - so definitely wouldn't want to insult the bloke.
But still from my recollection he had a similar build to young Rick and was good with the handball in tight spots, like Rick.
Maybe it's a long bow - but that's what I recall.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:33 pm

I do recall he was very clever with his hands which probably reflects a very clever footy brain, however he really did lack pace badly and if we consider an even lesser level of fitness than he would have developed at a first class league club such as the doggies and consider the type of training he will be doing at a country club, i think he may not be as effective.
Hey ill be honest and say he was very young when i last saw him play and he was handy so i think he ll certainly be an asset to any country club provided he has developed.
Balaklava lacks pace through the midfield and i believe this is the area which will take them to the next level if they are able to find a few players which will add to this.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby The Rooster » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:I do recall he was very clever with his hands which probably reflects a very clever footy brain, however he really did lack pace badly and if we consider an even lesser level of fitness than he would have developed at a first class league club such as the doggies and consider the type of training he will be doing at a country club, i think he may not be as effective.
Hey ill be honest and say he was very young when i last saw him play and he was handy so i think he ll certainly be an asset to any country club provided he has developed.
Balaklava lacks pace through the midfield and i believe this is the area which will take them to the next level if they are able to find a few players which will add to this.

Kellet has played League footy though, although not the quickest must be some sort of reasonable to be able to play in a league side, and from memory was one of the best players in a ANZAC day match against sturt following Sturts premiership.

Don't know the guy but Centrals have been the team to beat for the last six years and to play league footy in that time is some achievment at least.

Your right about Balak, but they have at least 5 quality players over six foot, which is the envy of most clubs and pace wasn't really the reason they lost the GF, Ben Catford was clearly best on ground that day for mine and he was all over the place like an unregistered dog, So your right they are a real threat.

The Roosters have picked up well and have all the pace, they will look to improve on a reasonable year last year and the round one clash between Longies and the Roosters will be an absolute corker.

Promises to be a ripper season can't wait for it to start.
The Rooster
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:04 pm

Yeah should be a great season.
Can you let us know the fixtures for round one, not sure who the pies have got and if they have the bye who their first game is against, im keen see their new coupla big blokes from the west coast, also young ryan montgomery from goody saints, i reckon the pies will give a few teams a real go. But your right i wouldnt mind seeing that tigers roosters clash round 1,
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby ando » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Who are the new west coast recruits for the maggies?
ando
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Berri play Mallala in a trial either this weekend or the next.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:26 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:Balaklava lacks pace through the midfield

Bring back the great Johnny McDonald then. What a legend..... :D
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Pag » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:01 pm

Kellett is a great pick-up for whoever gets him, reads the game sensationally well. Was never the quickest bloke but has a football brain. Remember watching him kick 15 in a game in Under 15s and you just knew he was gonna be something. Should dominate on a weekly basis I would think. Was very, very unlucky not to get drafted after playing state 18s, a bit like Tom Hurley from Sturt last season.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:09 pm

Thanks for backing me up Pag. I agree with the reading of the play bizzo.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Swamp Donkey » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Unfortunately being good at 15 doesnt quite cut it people !! There is good reason why he is not playing at centrals now at 23 (in the peak of your physical condition as a footballer) and why he did not get drafted.
PS Hurley can play he will certainly be looked at again this year, he is a real talent, Got pace and skill to burn
Last edited by Swamp Donkey on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:59 pm

Yeah you're right Swamp Donkey - and I don't think anyone suggested otherwise. We've only suggested it's disappointing he wasn't able to go on.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Swamp Donkey » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Certainly, its a real shame that guys like kellett who are fringe players at premier top class leagure clubs like, dogs, eags etc that play just a handful of league games each year have to leave the system. It would be tough as a reserves player on 50 bucks a game and training up to 4 sometimes 5 times a week. It is hard to justify the committment. Such a strong lure from counttry clubs for big bucks is just to hard to knock back particularly if they are studying which is oftne the case in these young lads. Theyve gotta a live too! damn shame, but hey thats another negtive side effect of country clubs paying the big bucks, the depth of many league clubs reserve teams is getting less and less. On the other side of the ledger it gives the younger guys around these clubs (u19s) a chance to step up quicker, but hey i know what id prefer to see!!!!!!!!!!! Blokes being able to stick it out in town, im certain some potentially long term league footballers have missed out in this regard.

Sorry about the long reply!!!
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:32 pm

So you should be :)
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby The Rooster » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:59 pm

yeah, i think what we were saying is that, it's a sad state of affairs if the "nuggety" not blessed with raw pace are being driven out of the game, now i don't know kellet and don't presume to know why he left or what sort of bloke he is, whatever, i'm just sick of this theory that you have to be 6ft and run like the wind to be a star, the AFL is like this, that is why the Gowans boys couldn't break into a AFL squad, but if they fronted up at your footy club would you tell them to bugger off because they too slow??? What about Cicca and Bloodnut at the Eagles, both been exceptional players but sponsors could probably outrun them (slight exageration) long live the little bloke who gets 37 handballs a game and three kicks. oh and the big lumbering units who knock people over.
The Rooster
Under 18s

Postby PhilG » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Last edited by PhilG on Wed May 16, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhilG

Postby The Rooster » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:05 am

The 15th of april is the 1st round.

Hummocks Vs Balaklava - GF Rematch
Two Wells Vs United - Grudge match.

all other teams have the bye 1st up.

you should check out this website it is a wealth of info.

http://www.football-online.com.au
The Rooster
Under 18s

Postby Pag » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:02 am

Swamp Donkey wrote:Unfortunately being good at 15 doesnt quite cut it people !! There is good reason why he is not playing at centrals now at 23 (in the peak of your physical condition as a footballer) and why he did not get drafted.
PS Hurley can play he will certainly be looked at again this year, he is a real talent, Got pace and skill to burn

Kellet played state Under 18s and IIRC, should've been drafted on his national champs performance, so it's not like he was a gun til he was 15 and then dropped off. It was back when the AFL clubs had the athlete before footballer mentality.

And yes, Hurls can definitely play. Was very, very unlucky last year. Should've at least been rookie-listed like Jace Bode before him. Top bloke too.
Pag
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:04 am

Sadly for Hurley his career may well be over.
He's done his knee.
Friends of his here say he's in a bad way.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby mypaddock » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:35 am

Pag wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:Unfortunately being good at 15 doesnt quite cut it people !! There is good reason why he is not playing at centrals now at 23 (in the peak of your physical condition as a footballer) and why he did not get drafted.

Kellet played state Under 18s and IIRC, should've been drafted on his national champs performance, so it's not like he was a gun til he was 15 and then dropped off. It was back when the AFL clubs had the athlete before footballer mentality.

And yes, Hurls can definitely play. Was very, very unlucky last year. Should've at least been rookie-listed like Jace Bode before him. Top bloke too.

whatta ya mean "back when the afl had athlete before footballer mentality??" they still do!
mypaddock
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Pag » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:04 am

mypaddock wrote:
Pag wrote:

whatta ya mean "back when the afl had athlete before footballer mentality??" they still do!

To an extent. Gibbs didn't finish in the top 10 in any of the tested categories at the draft camp last year and went #1, the clubs are starting to head back towards footballers.
Pag
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy