Wasted Talents

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Wasted Talents

Postby Saint » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Best country footballer i have seen is Shannon Goldsmith, dont no if he ever tried to play at a higher level but his days at Onka's were outstanding. Dont no were his is now though probably dominated some other country league.
Saint
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby GWW » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Saint wrote:Best country footballer i have seen is Shannon Goldsmith, dont no if he ever tried to play at a higher level but his days at Onka's were outstanding. Dont no were his is now though probably dominated some other country league.

I think he finished over in Port Lincoln, possibly with Mallee Park. A couple of other recruits to Onka Valley, Roger Wilson and Noel Hartman (from the RMFL) were quite handy too!!
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby pale ale » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:32 pm

Matthew Hodge - went to Ireland with an Aust u/16 team and had several AFL clubs chasing him.
pale ale
Under 16s

Postby the wonder elephant » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:04 am

Saint wrote:Best country footballer i have seen is Shannon Goldsmith, dont no if he ever tried to play at a higher level but his days at Onka's were outstanding. Dont no were his is now though probably dominated some other country league.

have to agree played against shannon and some of the things that he did were awesome and made it look easy ..a match winner at his best thats 4 sure ...anyone no 4 sure where he ended up ?
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Hazbeen » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:14 am

GWW wrote:And another player from the River Murray League, who also played for Jervois, was Neil Nankivell. He was better than both Phillips and McNichol. Looked like Ablett, and played a bit like him too, don't think he tried out in the SANFL but if he did i think he would have made it. Also played for Glencoe in the South East.

I played with Nanks in his last years at Glencoe before he retired, he was a Copper when I played with him which may explain the clubs he played for due to his country postings.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby the observer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:37 am

I guess you wpould throw into the mix a Ben Stokes or Shannon Farrant or even Damien Rigney Ben has been at that many clubs that you could forgive him for turning up to the wrong ground to play ( nearly said train but thats never on his agenda)
the observer
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Slapsy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:08 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Slapsy, his onfield antics might have got the better of him but his on-field antics in an SANFL GF will always be remembered ;)

DW, I assume you are talking aboiut Dingo? What happened in the SANFL GF if it can be mentioned here?
Slapsy
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Renmark

Postby Slapsy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:13 am

I think he finished over in Port Lincoln, possibly with Mallee Park. A couple of other recruits to Onka Valley, Roger Wilson and Noel Hartman (from the RMFL) were quite handy too!![/quote]

If these two blokes turned up to play you had no hope. Roger was a smooth as silk and Hartman was his wiry sidekick.
Slapsy
Rookie

Postby The Big Shrek » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:37 am

the observer wrote:I guess you wpould throw into the mix a Ben Stokes or Shannon Farrant or even Damien Rigney Ben has been at that many clubs that you could forgive him for turning up to the wrong ground to play ( nearly said train but thats never on his agenda)

Unless you're talking about a different Damian Rigney he did play 30 odd league games for South.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby lion heart » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Im sure he is talking about the same bloke but i agree could have at least played 200 sanfl games but in my eyes Trevor Rigney is the biggest waste of talent ever. Having seen both boys play since a young age i would have to say Trevor could have played A.F.L. No doubt in my mind. Lightning fast, magnificent leap, great skills, hard as nails. The complete package.

Sullies produced 2 A.F.L players (Mark Viska & Craig Mcrae) but no doubt Trev was a better talent if he had the commitment.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Hills » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:55 pm

the wonder elephant wrote:

have to agree played against shannon and some of the things that he did were awesome and made it look easy ..a match winner at his best thats 4 sure ...anyone no 4 sure where he ended up ?

i played with him in victoria early on in the year! He said he was playing football in the league that shepparton is in if that helps, very handy player.
Once you go black, your in a wheelchair.
Hills
Reserves

Postby Bat Pad » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Hills wrote:

i played with him in victoria early on in the year! He said he was playing football in the league that shepparton is in if that helps, very handy player.

Took one of the biggest hangers ever witnessed in Hills football in 2005 while at Onkas. People still talk about it
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby the wonder elephant » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:59 pm

Hills wrote:

what were u doin over there playing footy mate ...believe that would be the ovens and murray league prob the strongest country league goin around !
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Postby magpie in the 80's » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:11 pm

shepparton is in the goulburn valley league TWE
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Been liked: 23 times

Postby the wonder elephant » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:48 pm

magpie in the 80's wrote:shepparton is in the goulburn valley league TWE

thanls mate have rellies in yarrawonga and shep is close to there just presumed they played in the same league :oops:
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Postby hill » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:15 pm

Agreed(Shannon Goldsmith)Had the privilege of playing on him one day.Only bloke ever to embarrass me on the footy field(still have nightmares)
hill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby tedbullpit » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:19 pm

hill wrote:Agreed(Shannon Goldsmith)Had the privilege of playing on him one day.Only bloke ever to embarrass me on the footy field(still have nightmares)

A few years back Goldsmith played for a NT rep side against the Western Bulldogs in a preseason trial game. Was close to best for the NT side that game and I remember reading that he had a few WAFL clubs trying to secure his services. In the end nothing came of it.
tedbullpit
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Uraidla Districts

Postby Bat Pad » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:22 pm

tedbullpit wrote:
hill wrote:Agreed(Shannon Goldsmith)Had the privilege of playing on him one day.Only bloke ever to embarrass me on the footy field(still have nightmares)

A few years back Goldsmith played for a NT rep side against the Western Bulldogs in a preseason trial game. Was close to best for the NT side that game and I remember reading that he had a few WAFL clubs trying to secure his services. In the end nothing came of it.

I don't think it would be silly to say he is the best player ever to not win a Mail Medal in the Hills Central league. Anyone got any names to refute this?
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Slapsy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Just to add a few more and they didn't make it because of injury or work commitments in rural locations too far from the city but have/had massive talent;

Trevor Gill (Renmark)
Buff Tyrrell (Barmera) Might have had a go in town - not sure. A legend in Barmera circles
Shane Adams (Kadina)
Brett Exelby (Renmark)

This thread could get quite long the more people think about it. Country footballers that go on and do make it need a lot of support - especially as a junior with parents getting them to training in Adelaide etc.
Slapsy
Rookie

Postby GWW » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:51 pm

Buff played quite a bit at Woodville.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

PreviousNext