When is a "local" a local???

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

When is a "local" a local???

Postby Goldberg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:39 pm

OK lets clear this up so every1 is on the same page when talking: Local or Import

a, When a player doesn't get paid & lives in the area

b, When a player lives in the area but gets payed $100 or more

c, When a player has shifted from the area, but returns each weekend for "petrol $$$", around, lets say no more then $50

d, When a player has shifted from the area, but returns for a larger sum $$$

e, Once a player has been at the club 3-4 years regardless of payment (points system)
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: When is a "local" a local???

Postby Grape Ape » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:27 pm

I reckon its when you live in the same post code and/or you played juniors at the club.
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby silicone skyline » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Either played as a junior or live/work in same postcode for one year minimum.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby words of wisdom » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Grape Ape wrote:I reckon its when you live in the same post code and/or you played juniors at the club.

Agree. Thats the only way you can be classed as a local
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Goldberg » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:07 pm

So what u guys are saying is that it has nothing at all to do with money. If so then I agree, but that should be taken into account in a clubs broader sense, because if your playing locals big bucks where does it end????
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby Liquid Confidence » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:11 am

Not sure what league you guys are talking here....

BUt Goldberg one issue... Why not pay locals big bucks if they deserve them. If you dont look after them whos too say they wont leave.

And theres no rule stating you have to pay an import, given you wont get many imports playing for nothing or very little.

Players should be payed on their ability and what value they are to the club/side. Too often clubs dont look after their locals, throw money at dud imports, then whinge and bitch when that local leaves....

And if you shouldnt pay lots too locals, what happens when an import qualifies in your particular league as a local, do you immediately slash his payments as a reward for being loyal to the club????

Just a few questions, not having a crack...
Liquid Confidence
Under 16s

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Goldberg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 am

Couldn't agree more with that post mate, as I stated above, I think being a local has got stuff all to do with $$$. If he's good enough pay him!! What I was getting at was, Some clubs sprout that they only have 3-4 IMPORTS which usually says alot about your clubs payments, but with the introduction of the points system across the state (virtually) it's becoming ever more important to hold onto your LOCALS, and paying them Import sort of dollars seems to be common place now

I guess I'm just worried about the long term effect is all. Hopefully the system will settle down in 3-4 years and we all will benifit from it, but it seems that at this stage human nature is taking over & LOCAL players have been given a bargaining chip on a silver platter, because clubs cant afford to lose them
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby Gator-Aid » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:06 pm

Goldberg wrote:Couldn't agree more with that post mate, as I stated above, I think being a local has got stuff all to do with $$$. If he's good enough pay him!! What I was getting at was, Some clubs sprout that they only have 3-4 IMPORTS which usually says alot about your clubs payments, but with the introduction of the points system across the state (virtually) it's becoming ever more important to hold onto your LOCALS, and paying them Import sort of dollars seems to be common place now

I guess I'm just worried about the long term effect is all. Hopefully the system will settle down in 3-4 years and we all will benifit from it, but it seems that at this stage human nature is taking over & LOCAL players have been given a bargaining chip on a silver platter, because clubs cant afford to lose them

Hopefully the system will settle down in 3-4 years and we all will benifit from it,

And that is exactly what was said about the other useless article, the Salary Cap!
Now that is just plain dumb, don't you think?
Gator-Aid
Rookie

Postby been there done that » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi everyone. New to all this but been a very interested reader so i thought i would sign up and have a say. My opinion on when is a local a local is that you are classed as a local if you have played all of your junior footy at a club and then have gone on to play senior footy at that same club. In relation to money for locals, When i was playing at my local club payment was made to locals in the way of incentives and money per winning game. It was not the same amount that the recruits were on but the club looked after its locals this way and it worked well.
been there done that
Rookie

Postby aceman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:01 pm

been there done that wrote:Hi everyone. New to all this but been a very interested reader so i thought i would sign up and have a say. My opinion on when is a local a local is that you are classed as a local if you have played all of your junior footy at a club and then have gone on to play senior footy at that same club. In relation to money for locals, When i was playing at my local club payment was made to locals in the way of incentives and money per winning game. It was not the same amount that the recruits were on but the club looked after its locals this way and it worked well.

If only it was that simple! The correct way to do it but.........
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby bigbadkenny » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:47 pm

gday goldberg how many locals get paid at your footy club i would say 2 and thats because they have come back from town and played junior footy with the ifc
bigbadkenny
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Mannum

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:51 pm

Goldberg wrote:Couldn't agree more with that post mate, as I stated above, I think being a local has got stuff all to do with $$$. If he's good enough pay him!! What I was getting at was, Some clubs sprout that they only have 3-4 IMPORTS which usually says alot about your clubs payments, but with the introduction of the points system across the state (virtually) it's becoming ever more important to hold onto your LOCALS, and paying them Import sort of dollars seems to be common place now

If indeed they did see it as a bargaining chip, wouldn't it strike you as they have the mentality to play for money and would have chased it elsewhere prior to this, if they weren't getting enough?

I would be looking at the "imports" that landed at the club just before the points system is brought in, and attract next to nothing points, to be using it as a bargaining chip.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Goldberg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:42 pm

bigbadkenny wrote:gday goldberg how many locals get paid at your footy club i would say 2 and thats because they have come back from town and played junior footy with the ifc

Not sure I know what your getting at BBK, who are you referring to???
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby bigbadkenny » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:20 pm

what im getting at goldberg is how many locals play at your rmfl Agrade side and do they get paid$$$$$$$$$
bigbadkenny
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Mannum

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy