Super Cally aren't ballistic

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Super Cally aren't ballistic

Postby nukarni » Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 am

I enjoyed the read in the Mail about the Callington footy club which is getting flogged by 40-50 goals each wek but I also feel sorry that if this continues they might go under.
Half the blokes are over 35 and the rest have hardly ever played because they do a ringaround to get the numbers up. On Saturday they were done by 48 goals to the second-bottom team.
I reckon blokes who've hung up their boots or who are taking a break this season should get out and help the boysalong.
nukarni
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Re: Super Cally aren't ballistic

Postby Benchwarmer » Tue May 12, 2009 6:45 pm

I might stick my head in at the club on Thursday night for a drink. I read the article from here in Perth and feel sorry for what's going on there.

I am over for a few days and need to be at Adelaide Airport at about 2.30-3.00pm on Saturday - so I don't know if I can help out at all.

All I know is that they are home to Torrens Valley on the weekend.

What time do the 2s start and end and what are their colours?
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby aceman » Tue May 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Benchwarmer wrote:I might stick my head in at the club on Thursday night for a drink. I read the article from here in Perth and feel sorry for what's going on there.

I am over for a few days and need to be at Adelaide Airport at about 2.30-3.00pm on Saturday - so I don't know if I can help out at all.

About noon and they are as per the West Coast Eagles, navy/gold
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby Tooting Bec » Wed May 13, 2009 11:40 am

you are a brave man benchwarmer
Tooting Bec
Under 16s

Postby Mr Magoo » Wed May 13, 2009 11:46 am

Benchwarmer wrote:I might stick my head in at the club on Thursday night for a drink. I read the article from here in Perth and feel sorry for what's going on there.

Can you play?
Fill in your clearance form and fax today
Mr Magoo
Under 16s

Postby Benchwarmer » Wed May 13, 2009 1:20 pm

I will see if my last club (from when I lived in Victoria) will allow it. The rules that I have been used to are that you have to get approval inside a 3-year period from your old club - I think I am a couple of weeks years either way of 3 years but canot remember which way. I used to play Reserves footy from half-forward or the forward pocket.
Last edited by Benchwarmer on Wed May 13, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Postby Benchwarmer » Wed May 13, 2009 1:27 pm

I have just found out through the HFL that with my playing past I only need a rego form in by Friday morning. I will do my best to get down to the club on Thursday night and see how they are going for numbers.

Thanks for those who helped me out with info - if I play it will be my first game in 3 years!
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Postby nukarni » Wed May 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Top stuff Benchwarmer - be nice if others followed your lead. Contact number for the prez Darren Johnston is 0412 023 954
nukarni
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby Benchwarmer » Wed May 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Wrong number - I'll see what contacts are on the HFL website
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Crumber » Wed May 13, 2009 11:48 pm

Good to hear guys, go Cally!!!! Bloody crook knee, can't do but would love to get out there. Bit past it anyway but could do an orange.
Older, wiser and been there. But still love that grassroots country footy.
The Crumber
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Benchwarmer » Fri May 15, 2009 1:06 am

I came into Adelaide from Perth today (and saw the first rain I have seen in 21 days!), I'm doing the Barossa and Riverland tomorrow and then, as I promised I would, I will be putting on the boots for Callington Reserves on Saturday - my first match in 3 years.

I bought the proper HFL shorts and socks from a sports shop in Mt Barker so I will have a memory of this week other than a few bottles of plonk! The only downside is that I was too late getting my name into the team lists for this week's edition of the Final Siren as further proof of my game.

It should be funny for the crowd there to see a WAAFL goal umpire bounding around the ground trying to look like he knows what he is doing! At least it allows one A Grader the chance to play half a Reserves game instead of a full one!
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Postby PPLions » Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 am

Awesome stuff mate :ymapplause:
Good luck and let us all know how you go!!
PPLions
Under 18s

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: West Augusta

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 15, 2009 11:48 am

BW - should've told me you'd be in the Riverland, I would've tried to catch up. Being on holidays and all
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby the big fella » Fri May 15, 2009 12:00 pm

anyone heard wether Cally have picked up any other players???

Morgan/cadell picked up 5 or so after there publicity burst..however I think this due to good work by the new pres who was actually the old pres and who got back involved to ensure the club survived.

perhaps ian Holton could go back and help!! wheres Troy Bond when u need him??
the big fella
Under 18s

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 15, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm hearing some stuff about Morgan.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Benchwarmer wrote:I came into Adelaide from Perth today (and saw the first rain I have seen in 21 days!), I'm doing the Barossa and Riverland tomorrow and then, as I promised I would, I will be putting on the boots for Callington Reserves on Saturday - my first match in 3 years.

I bought the proper HFL shorts and socks from a sports shop in Mt Barker so I will have a memory of this week other than a few bottles of plonk! The only downside is that I was too late getting my name into the team lists for this week's edition of the Final Siren as further proof of my game.

It should be funny for the crowd there to see a WAAFL goal umpire bounding around the ground trying to look like he knows what he is doing! At least it allows one A Grader the chance to play half a Reserves game instead of a full one!

Congrats mate, have a good one!
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Benchwarmer » Sun May 17, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm now back in Perth and feel pretty good after yesterday's match, but I will be happy to wave the flaags in the WAAFL instead of chasing the footy as I think I showed up why I retired in my mid-20s.

I played for the Bs and they lost by only 144 points to Torrens Valley (25.14.164 to 3.2.20), but the Eagles' score means that we have 30 'points for' this season - triple what it was on Friday night!

I was given the opportunity to buy one of the club's woollen jumpers (remember, those ones we wore before the days of sublimated tops!) for $10 as a memento of the day and I chose number 38 as no-one else was going to wear that number therefore being able to make my purchase a "match worn" guernsey. The team was in the enviable position of having 20 to choose from this week - the first time in ages that they had a bench to work with!

I donned my runners as there were no spare boots available and I was selected in my customary forward line position, being given the opportunity to play as a half forward to "give me more of a chance to get a kick". The first bounce saw the ball sprayed out in my position and being under the hammer, I punched the ball off the ground through legs to a teammate ... and that was all I did in the first half. Our team highlight was a goal late in the second term and keeping the Lions to 12 goals at half-time.

The ball came down our end a bit more in the third quarter and I went back to my old poaching habits of filling the goal square when the full forward and full back vacated it - which was a fortuitous move. Halfway through the term, the ball came off hands and tumbled towards me about 15 metres out in front of the left goal post. I had enough time to pick it up, spin to my left on my left foot and steer the ball along the ground through for our second goal courtesy of a grubber kick aimed at the feet of the goal umpire.

In the end, I had the spectacular stats of three kicks, one goal, one tap-on, one hip and shoulder, one wrestle for the ball in a pack to force a bounce, one 30 metre chase with no chance of bridging the 5m gap between me and my opponent, two barn-door tackles which were brushed off by oppoition players' chests, one harrassing "sssss" as the back pocket took the sanctuary of the boundary line, one West End for the dash to the airport and one hell of a fun time.

Congrats to the Callington boys for their hospitality, the boys showed a lot of heart and fight and I hope that the club is able to see itself through their troubled times (I saw the scores from yesterday on the country footy website and unfortunately the As score was no higher than zero). I hope that Super Cally do go ballistic in the near future and next time I am in town during footy season, in my suitcase will be my shorts, socks, my number 38 jumper ... AND MY FOOTY BOOTS!
Last edited by Benchwarmer on Mon May 18, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Postby BRaG » Sun May 17, 2009 8:07 pm

good on ya Benchwarmer, awesome to see someone like yourself having a crack, Im sure the Cally people loved it.
BRaG
Rookie

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Sun May 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Priceless Benchwarmer, you're what it's all about mate.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby the big fella » Thu May 21, 2009 10:11 am

Did anyone else arrive at cally afetr their 10 minutes in the media..probably goes to show that players will only go to successful clubs..
the big fella
Under 18s

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy