Country Umpiring

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

How do you rate your country league's umpires?

Best in SA
2%
Great
7%
Decent
10%
Not bad
20%
Could do better
20%
Average
22%
Shocking
20%

Total votes : 41

Re: Country Umpiring

Postby Swamp Donkey » Wed May 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Agree Jack. Doug should be doing the A's but he didn't do much last year either. Still the best one going around by a mile in this league. Little Angus is fast getting a good reputation too. I hope he goes onto umpire bigger and better for his own sake but he has quickly earnt the respect of most teams. As a bonus he bounces the ball in the middle too. It makes for a quality contest when an umpire can bounce the ball up well. Shows they have confidence.

I'll be the second to second that MC and Jack. I'm pretty sure Doug has some serious knee problems and so he feels the other umpires will be better suited to the pace of an A grade game.
Sorry MC but I cant agree with your initial call on Angus. While I do agree that bouncing the ball is better, we have had him for all bar one game this season and he has been absolutely deplorable, especially at times when things get a little heated he goes to water. Its one thing to be a young up and coming umpire but unlike playing where you learn the skills and your teams structures, as an umpire you need to have experience, ideally through playing, but essentially at least spent a few years watching and following the game to learn the correct depictions of rules. I mean the holding the ball rule at the moment is completely confusing young Angus because he has no idea what prior opportunity is, because his interpretation is that straight off of a piece of paper, rather than through experience.

Right I'm glad I got that off my chest........

I totally agree with Jack though, we need them and it is great that Doug as Coordinator has faith in our current umpires. Personally I think the best two umpires in the APFL are Josh Minn and Brenton Prouse. They both just get on with the job and call it as they see it!!
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby fruit_box » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:09 pm

Went and watching BL&G v Hills on Saturday at Hahndorf. Some major skill gaps between the 2 leagues. Aren't these meant to be the best 3 from each league?

U/15's: Hills guy was wearing the exact same uniform as the hills players and nearly received about 5 handballs, good runner but seem to guess a lot. BL&G ump was a big boy but didn't move to bad, probably could do with being a bit fitter though.

U/17's: Hills bloke looked about 16 years old but was probably the best for the day. Ran pretty hard and always explained the rules clearly to the lads. BL&G ump moved around pretty good but i think he payed like 18 to 6 frees, BL&G's way.

A's: Hills ump was pretty fit but a little whistle happy. Seemed to pull out a really stupid decision every now and again, didn't effect the game but really stood out. BL&G ump was probably the worst for the day. He drew a 5 square meter box in the turf at the start of the game and never left it all game. Made good calls but was 60 meters away from the play all day!
fruit_box

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby BL&G_Ump » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 pm

Good review Fruit Box... Generally would agree!
BL&G_Ump
Rookie

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:39 pm

BL&G_Ump wrote:Good review Fruit Box... Generally would agree!

Which one were you? ;)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby BL&G_Ump » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
BL&G_Ump wrote:Good review Fruit Box... Generally would agree!

Which one were you? ;)

None, and glad for that!
BL&G_Ump
Rookie

Postby Draft Pick 72 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Coming up to respective Country Football League Finals Series, there always begs the question
- Keep our own umps for the finals, or
- Ship in some SANFL rookies for the finals
Personally I think it would differ from league to league but is an interesting proposition.
Thoughts...?
Draft Pick 72

Postby heater31 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Draft Pick 72 wrote:Coming up to respective Country Football League Finals Series, there always begs the question
- Keep our own umps for the finals, or
- Ship in some SANFL rookies for the finals
Personally I think it would differ from league to league but is an interesting proposition.
Thoughts...?

I know some leagues bring in other umpires from neighbouring leagues and vice versa
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Draft Pick 72 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:42 pm

As footy pre seasons begin around the state and recruiting starts, us umps are keen to recruit as well!!! You don't have to be a superstar to have fun, get fit and get paid!!!
BL&G (Barossa Valley, Light and Gawler) umpires are needed for next season, and excellent remuneration is offered.
Like the AFL, we are keen on anyone coming out, especially ex players, as they can offer a more informed perspective on the game, PM me if you are interested!!!
Draft Pick 72

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy