Country Umpiring

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

How do you rate your country league's umpires?

Best in SA
2%
Great
7%
Decent
10%
Not bad
20%
Could do better
20%
Average
22%
Shocking
20%

Total votes : 41

Country Umpiring

Postby BL&G_Ump » Thu May 21, 2009 1:42 pm

How do people think the umpiring standards sit in their country footy league?
- Stars
- Shockers
- Club Umpires
- A-Grade especially

Cheers
BL&G_Ump
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Country Umpiring

Postby The Jack » Thu May 21, 2009 1:56 pm

APFL abysmal, but we can't do without them :roll: . Unfathomable how Doug Tallboy (experienced A grade umpire) only did the B's at Virginia on Saturday, while 2 that should have been doing the B's (if that) did the A's. I'm sure they would say, giving the younger ones experience, but seriously A Grade games should be earnt not handed out, as it is for the footballers. And we lost. Can you tell??!! :lol:
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby BL&G_Ump » Thu May 21, 2009 1:59 pm

The Jack wrote:APFL abysmal, but we can't do without them :roll: . Unfathomable how Doug Tallboy (experienced A grade umpire) only did the B's at Virginia on Saturday, while 2 that should have been doing the B's (if that) did the A's. I'm sure they would say, giving the younger ones experience, but seriously A Grade games should be earnt not handed out, as it is for the footballers. And we lost. Can you tell??!! :lol:

Good honest criticism jack, not really attacking them. Now Doug is the coach out there, maybe he feels guilty giving himself A's, I dunno? And in terms of young-un's, they need as much exposure as they can get cos the good ones out there now are ageing!!!!!!!!

Good luck on the weekend!
BL&G_Ump
Rookie

Postby uncle_fester » Thu May 21, 2009 2:13 pm

BL&G_Ump wrote:
The Jack wrote:APFL abysmal, but we can't do without them :roll: . Unfathomable how Doug Tallboy (experienced A grade umpire) only did the B's at Virginia on Saturday, while 2 that should have been doing the B's (if that) did the A's. I'm sure they would say, giving the younger ones experience, but seriously A Grade games should be earnt not handed out, as it is for the footballers. And we lost. Can you tell??!! :lol:

Good honest criticism jack, not really attacking them. Now Doug is the coach out there, maybe he feels guilty giving himself A's, I dunno? And in terms of young-un's, they need as much exposure as they can get cos the good ones out there now are ageing!!!!!!!!

Good luck on the weekend!

feels guilty? he is the best A-grade umpire the APFL has ever had!
uncle_fester
Under 16s

Postby BL&G_Ump » Thu May 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Hey, just having a guess guys!!!
APFL isnt that bad is it?
BL&G_Ump
Rookie

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu May 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Agree Jack. Doug should be doing the A's but he didn't do much last year either. Still the best one going around by a mile in this league. Little Angus is fast getting a good reputation too. I hope he goes onto umpire bigger and better for his own sake but he has quickly earnt the respect of most teams. As a bonus he bounces the ball in the middle too. It makes for a quality contest when an umpire can bounce the ball up well. Shows they have confidence.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby BL&G_Ump » Thu May 21, 2009 2:40 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Agree Jack. Doug should be doing the A's but he didn't do much last year either. Still the best one going around by a mile in this league. Little Angus is fast getting a good reputation too. I hope he goes onto umpire bigger and better for his own sake but he has quickly earnt the respect of most teams. As a bonus he bounces the ball in the middle too. It makes for a quality contest when an umpire can bounce the ball up well. Shows they have confidence.

Now Angus is a good bouncer, but for the majority, it definately makes for a better contest when the ball is thrown up instead of bounced; ruckmen like it that way as well
BL&G_Ump
Rookie

Postby Johnny Bowla » Thu May 21, 2009 2:45 pm

I don't think that they are great, but there isn't anyone else putting their hand up and I sure as hell aint doing it. I think good on em for having a crack at it. Worst job in the world
Johnny Bowla
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu May 21, 2009 2:59 pm

BL&G_Ump wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:Agree Jack. Doug should be doing the A's but he didn't do much last year either. Still the best one going around by a mile in this league. Little Angus is fast getting a good reputation too. I hope he goes onto umpire bigger and better for his own sake but he has quickly earnt the respect of most teams. As a bonus he bounces the ball in the middle too. It makes for a quality contest when an umpire can bounce the ball up well. Shows they have confidence.

Now Angus is a good bouncer, but for the majority, it definately makes for a better contest when the ball is thrown up instead of bounced; ruckmen like it that way as well

The ruckman we've had at our club over the years rate it highly when its bounced. I guess its just a matter of opinion. Like I said though it shows the umpire has self confidence in himself which would be an under-rated part of umpiring.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby A Mum » Thu May 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Johnny Bowla wrote:I don't think that they are great, but there isn't anyone else putting their hand up and I sure as hell aint doing it. I think good on em for having a crack at it. Worst job in the world

Very true O:)

We had to find an umpire for our B grade a few weeks ago.
Was a mammoth task, as nobody wanted to do it.

When someone finally did volunteer,
What did all the supporters/spectators do during the game...
Yell, cheer and abuse the poor guy !!! :lol:
I was thinking, ah, well we'll be looking twice as hard next time as another one bites the dust :lol:

All part of the game I suppose :)
You get what you give....
A Mum
Coach

Postby Pag » Thu May 21, 2009 6:21 pm

I was umpired by Doug during my juniors in the CDJFL and I can say he's the best umpire I've played under. He's also my part-time coach at the moment and a very good one at that. Speaking to the man, he is getting on a bit and wants to give younger guys the opportunity to get the exposure at A Grade level. He already does two games on a Saturday, junior or senior colts, and the B Grade.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby On The Pine » Thu May 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Mid Murray umps doing a great job compared to last year from what I've seen. They allow a contest and don't over umpire, and certainly don't pretend it's the AFL like some. Don't know what the River Murray league was complaining about!
On The Pine
Rookie

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu May 21, 2009 11:47 pm

mods this topic should be removed we cant go giving umpires any more exposure they already think they are shit hot ;) ;)
by the way this gifting of a grade games to young umpires is a joke, ron murch, supposedly the best umpire in the BL&G was umpiring u17s last week while a lad that wasnt ready was doing the a grade, the players should be given more respect from the umpiring fraternity than that
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby BL&G_Ump » Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 am

daysofourlives wrote:mods this topic should be removed we cant go giving umpires any more exposure they already think they are s***t hot ;) ;)
by the way this gifting of a grade games to young umpires is a joke, ron murch, supposedly the best umpire in the BL&G was umpiring u17s last week while a lad that wasnt ready was doing the a grade, the players should be given more respect from the umpiring fraternity than that

settle down mate, he was and still is injured. Here's a question, would you play your star midfielder with an obvious injury against their will. Get your facts straight mate
BL&G_Ump
Rookie

Postby daysofourlives » Fri May 22, 2009 1:42 pm

BL&G_Ump wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:mods this topic should be removed we cant go giving umpires any more exposure they already think they are s***t hot ;) ;)

settle down mate, he was and still is injured. Here's a question, would you play your star midfielder with an obvious injury against their will. Get your facts straight mate

well certainly wouldnt play a star midfielder inthe 2s. hes either injured or hes not and if he is he doesnt umpire simple as that. obviously it was his eye sight that was impaired as the young girl umpiring with him over ruled him from 100metres away, resulting in goal to freeling final margin 6points!!!!!!
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 22, 2009 1:46 pm

On the Doug Tallboy topic - an absolute legend. It's a verrrry long time since he officiated in a game I played in but he was fantastic.
Whenever I see him, he's always up for a chat. I must have done something back when I was young to be remembered by the ol' fella!
Pag - if you mentioned my name, he'd definitely know who I am.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby DILLIGAF » Tue May 26, 2009 10:28 pm

the southern league JAFFAS have been shockin the last few weeks our boys are being warned for goin in to hard i thought that was the idea we dont want to play netball it is a mans game isnt it?
Does It Look Like I Give A F**k
SEE YA LATER!!!
DILLIGAF
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Signman1972 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:21 am

On The Pine wrote:Mid Murray umps doing a great job compared to last year from what I've seen. They allow a contest and don't over umpire, and certainly don't pretend it's the AFL like some. Don't know what the River Murray league was complaining about!

These Umpires Started in the Great Southern and couldn't get an A-Grade game,
they went to thr River Murray 8 years ago & 3 of them Umpired the Grand Final in the River Murray last year. - and did a great Job, they are brilliant Umpires & The Great Southern &
River Murray Associations need to have a good hard look at themselves.
Signman1972
Rookie

Grassroots Team: North Clare

Postby MONTE CRISTO » Wed May 27, 2009 12:47 pm

What are you blokes on? No-one wants to hear about umpires! But if you do then here is a contribution from the Hills. We have had and still have some of the best umpires in the history of football. Without going into the history books I will give you the names of two of our current very best. Butch Marston and Scrubber Schubert make some of the most glorious decisions known to mankind. They have a great quality that enables them to take games and turn them on their ear such is their amazing contribution to decision making. Now we in the Hills are not selfish people and we think it is only right and fair that we share these to wonderful whistle blowing men with the rest of the world. For a small price, say a packet of chewies, we will trade them to any association who is prepared to take them - we will probably let you have them without having to spend money on chewies if money is a bit tight! They are great umpires and legendary in the Hills competition and I am sure, un-matched anywhere else!
MONTE CRISTO
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Bat Pad » Wed May 27, 2009 4:40 pm

At least Butch Marston only confines himself to Mt Barker B grade games these days. Thats better for everyone involved. Except of course the opposition B grade.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy