points system

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

points system

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi gang

Could I have someone (and I can see myself getting a million replies now) from each league post how points are allocated for their league?

Cheers :D
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Re: points system

Postby Goldberg » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:15 pm

I know this isn't the answer ur looking for, but I am pretty sure the SANFL is going to introduce a system across the board for all leagues affiliated with it:
1st-3rd 8 points
4th 10
5th 11 etc. With perhaps occasional extra points for geographically disadvantaged teams within it own league
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby aceman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Goldberg wrote:I know this isn't the answer ur looking for, but I am pretty sure the SANFL is going to introduce a system across the board for all leagues affiliated with it:
1st-3rd 8 points
4th 10
5th 11 etc. With perhaps occasional extra points for geographically disadvantaged teams within it own league

Goldy, what constitutes the points allocation as in players worth etc? How do they rate them as a value of points?
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby GWW » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:18 pm

GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby aceman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:30 pm

GWW wrote:This is how RMFL does it:

http://www.rmfl.com.au/index.php?id=points

Brilliant, cheers for that.
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby Benchwarmer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:19 pm

The WAFL introduced a new points system for players in 2009, as well as allowing the WAFL salary cap to rise to $200,000, in order to promote a more even competition and to try and get ex-AFL players to return to their original WAFL clubs.

The main penalty for breaching the salary cap from 2009 onwards is a ban on recruiting players from outside its district for two years and will have a cap reduction of 10 points in the third year.

The points system is used to control the players a club recruits and has on its list at any given time. Clubs must have at least 55 players registered with it at any given time and those players must not total 130 points under the system. The highest total a player can be given is 12 for an AFL player with more than 100 games of experience and is from outside that club's zone. Subiaco players Daniel Chick (ex-East Frem) and Phil Read came under that category.

AFL players outside the club's zone, with 51-100 games' experience at the top level, are given 11 points; 1-50 gamers 10 points; and zero games eight points. An AFL rookie-listed player outside of a club's zone is granted six points.

Players recruited out of the VFL or SANFL are given 10 points, meaning Peel's Simon Rosa falls into that category. Players from lesser interstate clubs attract five points.

Players recruited from rival WAFL clubs will attract 10, 7, 5, 3 and 2 points depending on how experienced they are.

In an attempt to have AFL experienced player to return to their original WAFL club, those players will only receive one point as will other local players. AFL senior or rookie listed players will be given zero.

The WAFL has maintained its rule of limiting interstate recruits for clubs to just six per season. Concessions will be made for players recruited from interstate prior to 2006, though.

Here is how all players will be classified starting next year, and an example of a player who falls into each category:
Non district AFL delisted 100+ games – 12 points – Daniel Chick (Subiaco)
Non district AFL delisted 51-100 games – 11 points – Robert Haddrill (South Fremantle)
Non district AFL delisted 1-50 games – 10 points – Ross Young (Perth)
Non district AFL delisted 0 games – 8 points – Luke Hammond (Peel)
Non district AFL rookie – 6 points – Llane Spaanderman (Swan Districts)
SANFL, VFL player – 10 points – Simon Rosa (Peel)
Other interstate competition – 5 points – Seamus Young (Perth)
Non district WAFL 101+ games – 10 points – Adam Hay (Subiaco)
Non district WAFL 51-100 games – 7 points – Zac Beeck (Peel)
Non district WAFL 26-50 games – 5 points – Ashley Thornton (Perth)
Non district WAFL 1-25 games – 3 points – Clinton Rudd (East Fremantle)
Non district WAFL 0 games – 2 points – Adrian Curley (Claremont)
Local district AFL returnee – 1 point – Kasey Green (East Fremantle)
Local district player – 1 point – Shane Beros (Swan Districts)
Allocated AFL listed or rookie – 0 points – Brad Ebert (Peel)
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

why

Postby horse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:07 pm

all this talk about points can anyone tell me why they are in place and give a positive example of the good they are doing
horse
Mini-League

Postby Mythical Creature » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:12 am

Footy Chick wrote:Hi gang

Could I have someone (and I can see myself getting a million replies now) from each league post how points are allocated for their league?

Cheers :D

The APFL have decided to allocate the amount of points each club has based on the percentage of games won over the last four years.

This is the points allocation as it stands for next season. I have put where each club finished last season in brackets....

Mallala (1) - 7 points
Hummocks (3) - 9 points
United (6) - 10 points
Balaklava (4) - 10 points
Two Wells (5) - 11 points
Virginia (2) - 11 points
Hamley Bridge (7) - 15 points
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Battler » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:36 pm

Do the rules for this point system vary from league to league. Kowree, Naracoorte, Tatiara FL apparently have points carrying over from last year and the year before which I think is good because otherwise the wealthy clubs keep "imports" on the books for no penalty meaning it will be some years before things might level out. Some leagues will not have this I have heard.
Another confusing part of this system is that some Leagues will give all teams the same points while others will allocate points according to the previous seasons win tally.
Any comments??
Battler

Grassroots Team: Keith

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:06 pm

This is the link to the SFL Website APP page with an adobe doc- but I think it's from 2010, as it quotes "The Clubs will be allocated points annually based on the following:-
The top SIX (6) Teams will be allocated a total of 32 points.
The bottom NINE (9) Teams (as listed on the Premiership Table in the preceding year) will be allocated a total of 35 points."

and that appears too high.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page ... nID=133251

A document was emailed out to SFL Club Secretaries last week via CFB with specific examples to assist clubs and the league, but not sure if I have permission to lodge that one on here atm.
I think it's ok quote a section here that is a general rule for all leagues:

"The Community Football Board believe it is their responsibility to ensure the APPS is universally adopted across all leagues in SA and that a position of fairness and equality is achieved to provide the best protection for all leagues operating under the APPS system.

The CFB, in assessing the merits of applications by Leagues wishing to allocate excess points for any club/s, have established the following guidelines which are to be addressed in any submission; ......

2. Total Cap for a League is the number of clubs X 15 points.
ie. Great Southern FL Overall Cap is 150 points – 10 clubs x 15 points = 150 points.
Whyalla FL Overall Cap is 90 points – 6 clubs x 15 points = 90 points.

Leagues are expected to work within or to their maximum overall Points Cap when allocating points to clubs. If Leagues seek Points above their overall maximum, all reasons to increase the overall League Cap must be included in the submission.

3. Preferred maximum number of points for any Club should not exceed 21 points. Reasons to justify excess over this maximum must be included in the submission."

If anyone wants to have a look over the full SACFB Regulations that have been updated Dec 2010 are on SANFL website under CFB. it doesn't specify how many points are allocated for each club/league. it does explain how to work out how points are allocated for each person though.

It is an adobe doc as well unfortunately. The points system info is on Page 42-45. :arrow: http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/F ... 202010.pdf
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby 7-Dog » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Battler wrote:Do the rules for this point system vary from league to league. Kowree, Naracoorte, Tatiara FL apparently have points carrying over from last year and the year before which I think is good because otherwise the wealthy clubs keep "imports" on the books for no penalty meaning it will be some years before things might level out. Some leagues will not have this I have heard.
Another confusing part of this system is that some Leagues will give all teams the same points while others will allocate points according to the previous seasons win tally.
Any comments??

The way I read the APPS PDF document is it's general for every league.
It is vague on or does not even mention about last years recruiting. Our league has chosen not to include last years recruits as points, but this may be an individual leagues bi-law for the points system introduction season.
What I believe is also vague or not mentioned is is there a 1 point reduction for 2011 recruits in 2012?

A few things need to be cleared up a little more.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
7-Dog
Reserves

Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby Battler » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:13 pm

7-Dog wrote:
Battler wrote:Do the rules for this point system vary from league to league. Kowree, Naracoorte, Tatiara FL apparently have points carrying over from last year and the year before which I think is good because otherwise the wealthy clubs keep "imports" on the books for no penalty meaning it will be some years before things might level out. Some leagues will not have this I have heard.
Any comments??

The way I read the APPS PDF document is it's general for every league.
It is vague on or does not even mention about last years recruiting. Our league has chosen not to include last years recruits as points, but this may be an individual leagues bi-law for the points system introduction season.
What I believe is also vague or not mentioned is is there a 1 point reduction for 2011 recruits in 2012?

A few things need to be cleared up a little more.

Totally agree! I do think that it should be set in stone across the state (or at least in zones) otherwise leagues can make themselves more attractive than others to potential recruits by adding bylaws which another adjoining league may not have. An individual could cost 2 points at their 2010 club in one league but not in another?? I do like the retrospective rule so it stops the "spend up" clubs from having an open slate with the luxury of those already brought in. Anyway it will be interesting to see how smoothly things go. It could be just what the doctor ordered.
Battler

Grassroots Team: Keith

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy