Spencer Gulf League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Spencer Gulf League

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:29 pm

whats everyones tips this week???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Battler » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:51 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:whats everyones tips this week???

Never eat yellow snow.....
Volunteering doesnt pay.....
Be nice to your kids 'cos they choose your rest home......
:-bd
Battler

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Keith

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:21 am

Battler wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:whats everyones tips this week???

Never eat yellow snow.....
Volunteering doesnt pay.....
Be nice to your kids 'cos they choose your rest home......
:-bd

well played.... haha!!!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Cella Dwella » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Is it just me or do others find it frustrating that the SGL have not been able to get their act together for years when it comes to putting all pre-sunday games in the Sunday Mail. It appears to be Port Augusta hosted games more so (and Im not starting an us and them thing here ). Every sunday morning I get my head in the Sunday Mail to get the scores and best players etc and more often than not some or all of the results from the previous day are not in there. (i know the scores were in the Northern round up but no BPs or goal kickers.) I think its another reason why people believe the SGL is stale these days. Im sure it could be better promoted to improve the SGL "brand". Maybe Im just in a sh*t mood 'cos Im all fired up for the season and not able to play but what do others think?

PS I really think the Cats will surprise a lot of people today. Its been a long dusty old road but I reckon I can see the bitumen up ahead!
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby Brad » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:34 pm

I see the Lions had a win today, pretty close match I was told, Sollies best was T. Price, is that Tyrone Price from Hornridge?
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 pm

Brad wrote:I see the Lions had a win today, pretty close match I was told, Sollies best was T. Price, is that Tyrone Price from Hornridge?

Don't mean to quote myself but yes I've confirmed Sollies have former Mail Medalist Tyrone Price playign for them, a very good pick up.
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby Number 36 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Has anyone seen either of the Port Augusta games at all? From all reports South were going to struggle in 2010 but 2 big wins on the board against reigning premier Centrals and West would suggest otherwise.
Rugby: Picking the fat kids first since 1823
Number 36
Mini-League

Postby threestars » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Fair to say, South have looked impressive in the 1st 2 games. They seem to have a very solid game plan, lots of runners and a good forward in Kernahan. The pick up of Cox from Kapunda has enabled a little more hardness in the middle and Laube has played well in the ruck. South will struggle for depth as with both B grade games they have lost by well over 100 points. It will be interesting to see how they go in the middle of the season.

West had a solid second half against Souths, a similar type of game occured against Centrals where South got the jump in the first half. Wests will be okay this season. They are struggling for height around the game and this maybe a telling factor in some games.

Centrals and Wests this week will be a good game. You would expect Centrals to win but if they serve up another sluggish performance like against South they may just struggle.
threestars
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby OnSong » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Brad wrote:
Brad wrote:I see the Lions had a win today, pretty close match I was told, Sollies best was T. Price, is that Tyrone Price from Hornridge?

Don't mean to quote myself but yes I've confirmed Sollies have former Mail Medalist Tyrone Price playign for them, a very good pick up.

How do you know so much about the Woomera league?
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Cella Dwella » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:52 am

Ports and Sollies will be a cracker tomorrow night! Will be on for young and old I think. Fights on the field,fights off the field- the usual stuff-plus the first evenly matched game of footy between the 2 sides for a while(hopefully).
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby Dirk Tazelaar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:58 am

Looking forward to hearing about a Solly victory.
The revolution is just a t-shirt away
Dirk Tazelaar
Rookie

Postby Cella Dwella » Tue May 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Number 36 - "Unfortunately Cella Dwella match results seem to shut blokes like you up pretty quickly once the season starts."
Caleb - = "Just try and win a game first before you flap your gums too much"

Solomontown 2.2 7.3 8.6 11.8 (74)
Port 1.1 3.2 4.4 6.6 (42)
:finga:
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby the bearded wonder » Tue May 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Cella Dwella wrote:Number 36 - "Unfortunately Cella Dwella match results seem to shut blokes like you up pretty quickly once the season starts."
Caleb - = "Just try and win a game first before you flap your gums too much"

Solomontown 2.2 7.3 8.6 11.8 (74)
Port 1.1 3.2 4.4 6.6 (42)
:finga:
Well done Sollies first win in nearly 3 years ending the embarrassing run of defeats .You are still a crap side lets be honest. Ports will struggle this year no doubt about that but being the great club they are they will bounce back very quickly. I spoke with an old mate over the weekend and he reckons it was the worst game he has ever seen in the SGL. Was it that bad? And if so it must be difficult to go and watch that standard of footy every week.
the bearded wonder

Postby PPLions » Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Well done Sollies first win in nearly 3 years ending the embarrassing run of defeats .You are still a crap side lets be honest. Ports will struggle this year no doubt about that but being the great club they are they will bounce back very quickly. I spoke with an old mate over the weekend and he reckons it was the worst game he has ever seen in the SGL. Was it that bad? And if so it must be difficult to go and watch that standard of footy every week.

Nice to see that you properly represent the typical Ports supporter Caleb - you begrudgingly gave Solies credit and then continued to refer to them as being crap and focus on how Ports will bounce back.
The only crap aspect of the game was Ports' performance. Ports are in for a long season. Every team will be looking forward to playing them and reminding them how arrogant they were during the halcyon days.
In true Bob Boston style Sollies were hard at the ball and very committed. It was far from being the worst game ever seen in the SGL, it was just very scrappy.
Tyrone Price has had a couple of sensational games for Sollies and is an excellent pick up.
PPLions
Under 18s

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: West Augusta

Postby Dirk Tazelaar » Wed May 05, 2010 3:29 pm

There is a lot of sympathy around Port Pirie for Ports and their poor start to the season.

In other news, a pig has just flown into the smelter stack.
The revolution is just a t-shirt away
Dirk Tazelaar
Rookie

Postby Number 36 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 am

The old adage is true that success breeds enemies and Ports would have stacked up a fair few from 97 onwards I dare say - they defeated every other SGL team in grand finals between then and 2008 (minus Quorn). Congratulations to Sollies are in order for winning both A and B grade for the first time against Ports in a long time. Bob may have a controversial past but one thing he certainly knows how to do is turn an ordinary side into a grand final side so that may not be too far off.

I've heard through my old sources that the green dogs may have lost the services of Matt Gale for a while at least with an underlying health problem too, which certainly leaves a hole and loses some on field experience. There is plenty of opportunity for young kids to play A grade this season if they are willing to put their head down and work hard and I have no doubt they will be better for the experience. With any luck if they can retain players they might come out of it in a couple of years with the sort of list that Lions have been able to put together, with a young squad of players all hovering around the 50-100 game mark. I think they will win a few games along the way too so it wouldn't be wise to write them off completely.

Before the season started I would have put my house on a Central vs Lions grand final, but with Centrals losing both their games so far and Sollies the obvious improvers of the competition I might have to hold back on that judgement!
Rugby: Picking the fat kids first since 1823
Number 36
Mini-League

Postby OnSong » Thu May 06, 2010 10:29 am

Love the avatar mate. Gold!
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby the bearded wonder » Thu May 06, 2010 8:43 pm

PPLions wrote:

Nice to see that you properly represent the typical Ports supporter Caleb - you begrudgingly gave Solies credit and then continued to refer to them as being crap and focus on how Ports will bounce back.
The only crap aspect of the game was Ports' performance. Ports are in for a long season. Every team will be looking forward to playing them and reminding them how arrogant they were during the halcyon days.
In true Bob Boston style Sollies were hard at the ball and very committed. It was far from being the worst game ever seen in the SGL, it was just very scrappy.
Tyrone Price has had a couple of sensational games for Sollies and is an excellent pick up.
In true Bob Boston style. Where was that style in his first two seasons? Good luck to the cats they have been a great club and its all been a bit sad to see their decline but dont come on with the arrogant crap. If your club ever won anything they too might have a touch of arrogance. Thats what great teams and clubs do. Ports will bounce back and bounce back hard. Every club through history has a year where they bottom out and this year it looks as though its Ports turn.
the bearded wonder

Postby threestars » Fri May 07, 2010 11:59 am

Lions v Centrals
Souths v Ports
Sollies v Wests
threestars
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Cella Dwella » Sat May 08, 2010 11:00 am

Number 36 - "The old adage is true that success breeds enemies and Ports would have stacked up a fair few from 97 onwards I dare say "

If this adage is true you blokes must have had plenty of mates in the 30 years prior! :butthead:
Cella Dwella
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy