Spencer Gulf League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Spencer Gulf League

Postby the bearded wonder » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Jacko wrote:
caleb wrote:Just in from Pirie the mighty Port Bulldogs have taken a huge hit losing a stack of quality players.
Kendall, Cox and J.Clarke to Sollies, Phillips and Featherstonhaugh to Crystal Brook, Burford to Jamestown, T.Clarke, Coombe and Mayes playing in Adelaide, McNamara, Fleming and Wilson retired and Hall and Penny likely to miss most if not all of the season due to injury. A few of the older B.Graders have also given it away. And there may be more to come. Would have to say the golden era may well be over.

Caleb - do you know what sort of players Phillips and Featherstonhaugh are, how do you think they will go in NAFA?

Phillips a small forward and Feathers a running half back. Both very good footballers not world beaters but will do well in any country comp.
the bearded wonder

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Number 36 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 am

caleb wrote:
Jacko wrote:
caleb wrote:Just in from Pirie the mighty Port Bulldogs have taken a huge hit losing a stack of quality players.
Kendall, Cox and J.Clarke to Sollies, Phillips and Featherstonhaugh to Crystal Brook, Burford to Jamestown, T.Clarke, Coombe and Mayes playing in Adelaide, McNamara, Fleming and Wilson retired and Hall and Penny likely to miss most if not all of the season due to injury. A few of the older B.Graders have also given it away. And there may be more to come. Would have to say the golden era may well be over.

Caleb - do you know what sort of players Phillips and Featherstonhaugh are, how do you think they will go in NAFA?

Phillips a small forward and Feathers a running half back. Both very good footballers not world beaters but will do well in any country comp.

Fethers has played at the Brook before and was very handy with his pace off half back during his time in the SGL - my information tells me he is staying at Ports though and will play with his mates Casey and Johanson who will be travelling up from Adelaide on the weekends. Greggy was hampered a bit by injury but started to play some very good footy last year he will be handy around the goal face for the chooks.
Rugby: Picking the fat kids first since 1823
Number 36
Mini-League

Postby threestars » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Any goss going around Spencer Gulf, I hear Centrals have picked up a few boys but have lost Quigley!
threestars
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:11 pm

i'm moving to Port Augusta in December and looking for a club to play footy and cricket... Firstly just curious on the standard of footy and names of clubs, how they have been going over the past few years and how they looking this year? sorry for all the questions, just interested in finding a club to play for. message me if you wish...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:12 pm

threestars wrote:Any goss going around Spencer Gulf, I hear Centrals have picked up a few boys but have lost Quigley!

which quigley?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby threestars » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Joe
threestars
Rookie

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:38 pm

threestars wrote:Joe

gun.... who's the faves to win the flag this year?
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby threestars » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:22 pm

Centrals...they have played in last two grand finals. Souths have picked up a couple as has Wests.

Not too sure about the Pirie teams.
threestars
Rookie

Postby Cella Dwella » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:12 pm

Dont discount the Sollie Cats to make the 4 this year! Couple back from Roxby and brought a bloke by the name of Tyron Pearce with them. Looks to be pretty good.(Like myself ;) )
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby Cella Dwella » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:18 pm

PS To all you Port *%$@ ers, how is it feeling with all your boys wanting out?? And half of em want to come over to play fo the coach you didnt want any more!!LMFAO. You cant have him back (unless I get dropped back to the Bs! - hmmm I take all that back, if you drop away I might need to get a clearance to ya in order to get an A grade game! )
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby the bearded wonder » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Cella Dwella wrote:PS To all you Port *%$@ ers, how is it feeling with all your boys wanting out?? And half of em want to come over to play fo the coach you didnt want any more!!LMFAO. You cant have him back (unless I get dropped back to the Bs! - hmmm I take all that back, if you drop away I might need to get a clearance to ya in order to get an A grade game! )

Just try and win a game first before you flap your gums too much. Port have won more premierships than your sorry bunch has won games in the last three seasons. Just remember a bit of humility still goes a long way in sport.
the bearded wonder

Postby Cella Dwella » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:54 am

caleb wrote:
Cella Dwella wrote:PS To all you Port *%$@ ers, how is it feeling with all your boys wanting out?? And half of em want to come over to play fo the coach you didnt want any more!!LMFAO. You cant have him back (unless I get dropped back to the Bs! - hmmm I take all that back, if you drop away I might need to get a clearance to ya in order to get an A grade game! )

Just try and win a game first before you flap your gums too much. Port have won more premierships than your sorry bunch has won games in the last three seasons. Just remember a bit of humility still goes a long way in sport.

You are probably right there with those stats Caleb - fair call - but dont talk to me about humility when Port are known for arrogantly walking off without shaking hands (even after flogging sides), initiating the now broken tradition of having a beer in opposition clubrooms etc etc This attitude comes from having a lack of modesty (humility) as you have had everything (2 junior footy clubs essentially, pokies, great homeground with own greenkeepers, sporting club status etc) which is fine/bought and paid for (like most of your flags!) but dont pretend you have shown humility during your reign at the top.Im sure the Lions have an understanding of what Im talking about. I was just having a dig mate and happy to dig further! Have I blown my chance of getting a game at Ports now!
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby Number 36 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Cella Dwella wrote:
caleb wrote:

You are probably right there with those stats Caleb - fair call - but dont talk to me about humility when Port are known for arrogantly walking off without shaking hands (even after flogging sides), initiating the now broken tradition of having a beer in opposition clubrooms etc etc This attitude comes from having a lack of modesty (humility) as you have had everything (2 junior footy clubs essentially, pokies, great homeground with own greenkeepers, sporting club status etc) which is fine/bought and paid for (like most of your flags!) but dont pretend you have shown humility during your reign at the top.Im sure the Lions have an understanding of what Im talking about. I was just having a dig mate and happy to dig further! Have I blown my chance of getting a game at Ports now!

Unfortunately Cella Dwella match results seem to shut blokes like you up pretty quickly once the season starts. Yes Ports have had the run of the green for the past decade or more due to some very hard work behind the scenes and a great club culture that stemmed over 100 years ago now. (You must have forgotten the other Pirie clubs had the opportunity of getting the pokies installed too when there were no licence restrictions!!) Things like buying and developing their land were decisions made when you and I were sparkles in the old man's eye.

The blokes who have left have left for their own reasons as happens with every club (yours included very recently I believe) and it is now up to the younger kids to fill their shoes, which will make for interesting spectating. The only time I'm aware of a team not shaking hands was Centrals sulking after their 2008 grand final loss too.

As for the 'dig' about buying premierships I think that is a bit far fetched when you look at the success the club has had with young players developing over time inside the club. Every club who can afford to will recruit players and if you think your home grown recruits back from Roxby with a mate are coming for free, or the 'half' of Port players who've shifted to Solly for that matter, you might want to think again.

Also stop trying to pretend you like Lions! Everybody hates Lions other than themselves! You will find that out when Bob spits abuse about 'those pricks down the road' I'll bet. Mind you having said that they seem to be on the right track for success. Another year of experience in their young side will do them the world of good in 2010.
Number 36
Mini-League

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Does the footy season start this week up there?
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Cella Dwella » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:02 am

Number 36 wrote:
Cella Dwella wrote:
caleb wrote:

Unfortunately Cella Dwella match results seem to shut blokes like you up pretty quickly once the season starts. Yes Ports have had the run of the green for the past decade or more due to some very hard work behind the scenes and a great club culture that stemmed over 100 years ago now. (You must have forgotten the other Pirie clubs had the opportunity of getting the pokies installed too when there were no licence restrictions!!) Things like buying and developing their land were decisions made when you and I were sparkles in the old man's eye.

The blokes who have left have left for their own reasons as happens with every club (yours included very recently I believe) and it is now up to the younger kids to fill their shoes, which will make for interesting spectating. The only time I'm aware of a team not shaking hands was Centrals sulking after their 2008 grand final loss too.

As for the 'dig' about buying premierships I think that is a bit far fetched when you look at the success the club has had with young players developing over time inside the club. Every club who can afford to will recruit players and if you think your home grown recruits back from Roxby with a mate are coming for free, or the 'half' of Port players who've shifted to Solly for that matter, you might want to think again.

Also stop trying to pretend you like Lions! Everybody hates Lions other than themselves! You will find that out when Bob spits abuse about 'those pricks down the road' I'll bet. Mind you having said that they seem to be on the right track for success. Another year of experience in their young side will do them the world of good in 2010.

:-@
Well we seem to have a bit of interest in the forum now dont we !!! Sorry boys! :axe:
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby Cella Dwella » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Does the footy season start this week up there?

Next week mate
Cella Dwella
Rookie

Postby threestars » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:54 am

Tips for this week
Centrals v South by 3-4 goals
Lions v Sollies by 10 points in an upset.
threestars
Rookie

Postby Dirk Tazelaar » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:27 pm

threestars wrote:Tips for this week
Centrals v South by 3-4 goals
Lions v Sollies by 10 points in an upset.

Threestars, you mentioned earlier that you didn't know much about the Pirie teams. That prediction confirms it. Lions will win comfortably.
The revolution is just a t-shirt away
Dirk Tazelaar
Rookie

Postby threestars » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:54 pm

DT in all due respect, from what I hear (mainly from Cella Dwella) Sollies have picked up a few incl half of the Ports team. I did state it was an upset.....

PS I am taking the pi$$ and hopefully trying to spark this forum up. It's very quiet on here........................
threestars
Rookie

Postby Number 36 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:24 pm

threestars wrote:DT in all due respect, from what I hear (mainly from Cella Dwella) Sollies have picked up a few incl half of the Ports team. I did state it was an upset.....

PS I am taking the pi$$ and hopefully trying to spark this forum up. It's very quiet on here........................

They have picked up just a couple from Ports though only one regular 2009 Port A grader in Kendall, who is a week to week proposition due to work commitments. If Jack Clarke can get himself fit and shake off the shin splints he will hold down Centre Half Back against the best of them. Their main pick ups are the boys back from Roxby who will add a bit of strength and class.

I think Lions may have the edge but it will be a closer game than last year's results would predict. Centrals should take the other game very comfortably and will again be the benchmark.

It's a real disappointment that the Pirie game is being played on the Sunday rather than the traditional Friday night opener. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this but I'm sure the Sollies and Lions boys would have appreciated playing under lights to a big crowd with an extra day's recovery.
Number 36
Mini-League

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy