MOST SUCCESSFUL COUNTRY SA FOOTBALL TEAM

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: MOST SUCCESSFUL COUNTRY SA FOOTBALL TEAM

Postby SomeOleFart » Wed May 19, 2010 11:59 am

GWW wrote:David Harvey was John Harvey's brother? He played a handful of games for Port too, presumably he was ex Cummins Red too?

Dave was playing colts when I left. Funny man, but as a kid, was a tiny, snotty nose little prick. Few years later, he was playing Full Back for Port 2nd's and i stood him. last time i saw Dave was 5 years or so before. As I remembered him, I thought I was in for a big day. I reckon he had grown a foot and he absolutely kick my a**e. He was a very accomplished player then and i believe gave great service to one of the Galwer sides for years.
Yes he was a Red's player
SomeOleFart

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Cummins-Kapinnie

Postby Grape Ape » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:59 am

FlyingHigh wrote:I honestly take some of these figures with a grain of salt considering the amount of clubs that formed, disbanded and merged, and associations that did the same with only a handful of clubs, especially prior to the 1950's. Whilst this is always happening, it seems to have generally consolidated since this time.
Also, obviously Kyancutta can't add to their tally, but their merged entity, Central Eyre, have had their share of success over the past 20 years. So teams in more populous locations such as the Barossa and Southern get to add to their records.

I was thinking the same thing. To win a premiership in the Broken Hill comp you only need to be better than 3 other clubs. In a lot of other leagues that won't get you in the finals. Maybe someone with a lot of time on their hands could add a degree of difficulty score by assigning points to each premiership based on the number of teams in the comp that year. For example a premiership in the KIFL with 5 teams would be worth 5 points. Just roughly the order would be something like:

___________________Premierships____Teams in Comp_____Points
1_Mundulla______________28_______________11_________308
2_Willunga______________27________________10_________270
3_Walleroo______________29________________9__________261
4_Cummins Ramblers______36________________6__________216
5_Waybacks_____________30________________6_________180
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time

Postby PuttingBStorest » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 am

I think you will find that a fair number of the Mundulla Premierships were achieved when Mundulla was part of the now abandoned 6 team Tatiara league (Tintinara, Keith, Bordertown, Mundulla, Kaniva and Leeor) - so - do you discount for that?? - I dunno - still a very very successful club tho...........

Grape Ape wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:I honestly take some of these figures with a grain of salt considering the amount of clubs that formed, disbanded and merged, and associations that did the same with only a handful of clubs, especially prior to the 1950's. Whilst this is always happening, it seems to have generally consolidated since this time.
Also, obviously Kyancutta can't add to their tally, but their merged entity, Central Eyre, have had their share of success over the past 20 years. So teams in more populous locations such as the Barossa and Southern get to add to their records.

I was thinking the same thing. To win a premiership in the Broken Hill comp you only need to be better than 3 other clubs. In a lot of other leagues that won't get you in the finals. Maybe someone with a lot of time on their hands could add a degree of difficulty score by assigning points to each premiership based on the number of teams in the comp that year. For example a premiership in the KIFL with 5 teams would be worth 5 points. Just roughly the order would be something like:

___________________Premierships____Teams in Comp_____Points
1_Mundulla______________28_______________11_________308
2_Willunga______________27________________10_________270
3_Walleroo______________29________________9__________261
4_Cummins Ramblers______36________________6__________216
5_Waybacks_____________30________________6_________180
PuttingBStorest
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 pm

You might be onto something there with your formula Great Ape, just needs some tinkering.

Each premiership would have to be multiplied individually by the number of opponents for a particular year.

Example: Mundulla

1921- Tatiara FL (3 Teams) therefore premiership worth 2 pts.
1951- Tatiara FL (6 Teams) therefore premiership worth 5 pts.
2002- KNTFL (12 Teams) therefore premiership worth 11 pts.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby therealROSSCO » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Waybacks have 32 League premierships....
therealROSSCO
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Wayback

Postby PuttingBStorest » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:34 pm

I agree with you 200KW - but it would be one hell of a job to do. Taking Mundulla further as an example they actually joined KNTFL in 1993 when there were 14 teams and then in 1997 Kaniva and Leeor merged reducing the number of teams to 13 and then in 1999 Edenhope Aspley changed leagues to reduce it to the current 12- it would be great to see how it would all come out if someone had the time to sit down and work it all through!!!!!!!

200 Killer Wasps wrote:You might be onto something there with your formula Great Ape, just needs some tinkering.

Each premiership would have to be multiplied individually by the number of opponents for a particular year.

Example: Mundulla

1921- Tatiara FL (3 Teams) therefore premiership worth 2 pts.
1951- Tatiara FL (6 Teams) therefore premiership worth 5 pts.
2002- KNTFL (12 Teams) therefore premiership worth 11 pts.
PuttingBStorest
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times

Postby sound4 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Some people hold the opinion that success of a club can be determined by the players they produce. Therefore, with that in mind, what country clubs have bred the most AFL or even SANFL/VFL league players? Having been associated with Birdwood Football Club at one point, I know they had a grand total of 2 AFL players, Scott Burns and Darren Pfeiffer. I am not sure about SANFL/VFL players. What have other clubs produced?
sound4
Rookie

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:52 pm

This formula could be measured to guage the strength of a team over a period of time.

So in the case of Loxton who have been strong over a long period of time have produced the following:

2000s: Cohen Thiele (NA), Nathan Brown (NA), Braydn Fisher (WA), Shane Schubert (NA/WA), Jesse Smith (WA)

1990s: Craig Fielke (CD/WA), Wayne Thornborrow (G/St. K), Darren Bartsch (PA/WA),

1980s: Mick Walters (CD), Paul Swanbury (N), Craig Ebert (PA/WA), John Falting (WA), Grant Fielke (WA/Coll/Adel), Tony Fielke (WA),

1970s: Rex Voigt (G), Kerry Hamilton (G), Pat McCann (NA), Greg Schmidt (NA), Rick Schubert (NA), Lew Westbrook (NA), Jeff Ebert (WA), Russell Ebert (PA/NM)

1960s: Don Eagle (CD),

1950s: Bob Proud (NA), Maurice Barry (N), Bruce Proud (SA),

1940s: Joe Westbrook (SA), Adrian Jolly (WA),
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby best on hill » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:13 pm

200 Killer Wasps wrote:This formula could be measured to guage the strength of a team over a period of time.

So in the case of Loxton who have been strong over a long period of time have produced the following:

2000s: Cohen Thiele (NA), Nathan Brown (NA), Braydn Fisher (WA), Shane Schubert (NA/WA), Jesse Smith (WA)

1990s: Craig Fielke (CD/WA), Wayne Thornborrow (G/St. K), Darren Bartsch (PA/WA),

1980s: Mick Walters (CD), Paul Swanbury (N), Craig Ebert (PA/WA), John Falting (WA), Grant Fielke (WA/Coll/Adel), Tony Fielke (WA),

1970s: Rex Voigt (G), Kerry Hamilton (G), Pat McCann (NA), Greg Schmidt (NA), Rick Schubert (NA), Lew Westbrook (NA), Jeff Ebert (WA), Russell Ebert (PA/NM)

1960s: Don Eagle (CD),

1950s: Bob Proud (NA), Maurice Barry (N), Bruce Proud (SA),

1940s: Joe Westbrook (SA), Adrian Jolly (WA),

i wish you would research your post alittle more wasp :lol: :lol:
COWELL FOOTBALL CLUB est.1901
premiers 1902,04,07,22,24,26,27,28,31,32,34,37,38,39,46,50,52,53,54,55,58,59,69(cowell north),96,99,2006,07,09
oldest club on E.P.!
best on hill
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Cowell

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Actually with all the spare time you have on your hands now maybe you can do some research for me.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby best on hill » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:13 am

200 Killer Wasps wrote:Actually with all the spare time you have on your hands now maybe you can do some research for me.

wasp can you work out how many premiers ships cowell have won in there 110 years and apply your formula to it
COWELL FOOTBALL CLUB est.1901
premiers 1902,04,07,22,24,26,27,28,31,32,34,37,38,39,46,50,52,53,54,55,58,59,69(cowell north),96,99,2006,07,09
oldest club on E.P.!
best on hill
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Cowell

Postby lebron » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:40 pm

In recent times, surley Morphett Vale and Willunga have to be around the mark! Not only successful teams premierships wise but also produce many SANFL players!!
lebron
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Willunga definetly have been successful for well over 100 years but Morphett Vale although strong in recent times took 80 years to win their first premiership.

Morphett Vale with Rod Jameson, Clay Sampson, Jason Torney, Darren Kappler and David Kappler who went onto higher honours overshadow Willunga in this department as the only players I can think of are Randall Bone and the great Taffy Waye at Sturt.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Postby sherminator » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:05 pm

200 Killer Wasps wrote:Willunga definetly have been successful for well over 100 years but Morphett Vale although strong in recent times took 80 years to win their first premiership.

Morphett Vale with Rod Jameson, Clay Sampson, Jason Torney, Darren Kappler and David Kappler who went onto higher honours overshadow Willunga in this department as the only players I can think of are Randall Bone and the great Taffy Waye at Sturt.

As an outsider I'm not too sure, but I think there have been a few league footballers come out of Willunga although maybe not as many big names as the Emus listed above. I reckon Ben Thompson who played for St. Kilda is from Willunga. David Hams played league footy for both South and the Bays. I'm pretty sure Todd Steele also played SANFL. Julian **** is another I can think of. I'm sure someone from Willunga could confirm/add to those mentioned.
sherminator
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Olympic Dam

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy