On-Field Incidents in Country Football

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

On-Field Incidents in Country Football

Postby CK » Mon May 31, 2010 9:26 pm

I've thought a long time before starting this thread, but have decided to put the idea out there. If any moderators wish to shut it down, or lock it, I understand the potential for issues, but just wanted to open a forum for discussion. I have not started it for the purpose of muckraking/settling verbal scores between people or the like, so hopefully it doesn't degenerate.

I was heavily involved in Hills football for a number of years, firstly with Callington and then Milang before hanging up the boots and clipboard. Back when I was playing, there were isolated issues in the league at times, with players sent off for offences against other players, but it was rare for sustained physical problems in the league.

Watching the HFL and other leagues from a distance, I have read of a number of on-field incidents of late in leagues on this board, in particular an alleged incident in the Port Lincoln League, and an alleged altercation after a game in a Hills junior game. These sorts of things seem to be increasing. From those that see these, and other leagues, week in and week out, I would be interested to hear their thoughts as to why there appears to have been an increase in this sort of thing in the last few seasons; do people feel the tribunal discourages it enough with penalties; are there enough deterrents from the leagues themselves in regard to penalties and what would posters (especially parents bringing children along as junior players or spectators) like to see done to reduce these incidents.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: On-Field Incidents in Country Football

Postby White Line Fever » Mon May 31, 2010 9:35 pm

I don't believe they are increasing, but with the increased popularity of the internet/forums etc, it seems people report them more.

As for the umpires controlling the "incidents", they seem to be getting worse.
They need to take the game by the balls and send off ALL those involved, not just the starter.
Then if any player gets a red-card, especially for outright striking, penalties of 6 weeks minimum a must.
2 red-cards a year equal instant 12 games, 3 in a career equal 18 and 4 reds de-registration and life ban.

People who fight at footy are cowards, there a plenty of places these 'heroes' can go these days, put on gloves and go toe-to-toe with other like-minded individuals which takes real courage.

Footy is for footy.
Le's not bring back the biff.
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 pm

These things seem to crop up in Hills Country from time to time, both on and off the field. For example, ruckus in the crowd at the 2006 GF, plus incidents with some Gumeracha "supporters" over the past couple of years. Others might remember a couple of incidents involving Mt Torrens "players" in the 1995 finals.
I think one potential problem that was alluded to on one of those forums you mentioned is how much the reporting umpire feels it is worth his while to report the player and then have to spend more of his time going to the tribunal during the week. How do the various leagues handle this?
I believe, but could be wrong, that the YPFL might have an automatic two game suspension for any report and then the umpire or the player can appeal this.
Do the umpires need to be paid an incentive to go to the tribunal, though there are various problems with this that would have to be overcome.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby aceman » Mon May 31, 2010 9:52 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:These things seem to crop up in Hills Country from time to time, both on and off the field. For example, ruckus in the crowd at the 2006 GF, plus incidents with some Gumeracha "supporters" over the past couple of years. Others might remember a couple of incidents involving Mt Torrens "players" in the 1995 finals.
I think one potential problem that was alluded to on one of those forums you mentioned is how much the reporting umpire feels it is worth his while to report the player and then have to spend more of his time going to the tribunal during the week. How do the various leagues handle this?
I believe, but could be wrong, that the YPFL might have an automatic two game suspension for any report and then the umpire or the player can appeal this.
Do the umpires need to be paid an incentive to go to the tribunal, though there are various problems with this that would have to be overcome.

Certainly not!
I can show you one lower grade SAAFL umpire who "brags" that his reporting of players, for which they are compensated "tea money" of $x, usually has a minimum of 2 reports a month and it keeps him in grog!
Under no circumstances should they get rewarded for reporting, it's a part of their umpiring duties.
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon May 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Agree aceman that is the potential down-side, as I was referring to in the rest of that sentence. Was just a thought, and wonder if a league has come up with a model that doesn't encourage frivolous reporting?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Trader » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:15 am

aceman wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Do the umpires need to be paid an incentive to go to the tribunal, though there are various problems with this that would have to be overcome.

Certainly not!
I can show you one lower grade SAAFL umpire who "brags" that his reporting of players, for which they are compensated "tea money" of $x, usually has a minimum of 2 reports a month and it keeps him in grog!
Under no circumstances should they get rewarded for reporting, it's a part of their umpiring duties.

How does that work? Is it for SAAFL umps only or includes club umps in the lower grades? Does the guy get handed cash at the hearing or is it put back through his club?

Agreed it is part of his duty, but if there is no compensation at all then why would you report it?
Perhaps they could have some sort of fee to cover his costs ONLY if the player is found guilty?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Minotaur » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 am

FlyingHigh wrote:These things seem to crop up in Hills Country from time to time, both on and off the field. For example, ruckus in the crowd at the 2006 GF, plus incidents with some Gumeracha "supporters" over the past couple of years. Others might remember a couple of incidents involving Mt Torrens "players" in the 1995 finals.
I believe, but could be wrong, that the YPFL might have an automatic two game suspension for any report and then the umpire or the player can appeal this.Do the umpires need to be paid an incentive to go to the tribunal, though there are various problems with this that would have to be overcome.

You would be correct in stating this FlyingHigh. With any report you can opt to take the 2 week suspension without fronting the tribunal. However, if you do not opt to take the 2 weeks you are expected to front and have a decision made on the penalty there.
Minotaur

Postby Media Park » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:27 pm

http://www.portlincolntimes.com.au/news ... 45723.aspx

Above is a link to the "ALLEGED" incident in PL Footy over the weekend.

Report from the PL Times.

Would love to hear the thoughts of some impartial (non PL) posters on what you would consider appropriate sanctions..
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby CK » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:16 pm

Marble Park, having not seen this alleged incident and relying upon a number of accounts on the PL thread (most of which have common themes running through them that most witnesses agree on) as well as this article, it's a little difficult to say, but my first impulse was a ban for the remainder of the season - whether this is considered "out of character" or not. I'm not aware if this league has the "twelve game" rule, relating to explusion from the league once that number of games suspended is reached, but the accounts of the alleged incident sound very serious.

The matter also, of the example this sets to younger players/juniors/families and the overall image of the league needs to be considered. I'm not intimately familiar with the workings of the league, but sense there are deep held feelings about some aspects of it, and the alleged conduct of some that participate in it. The suspensions that were handed down, at face value and without knowing any mitigtating circumstances that may apply, do not seem to fit the alleged incident.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby aceman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:52 pm

MarblePark wrote:http://www.portlincolntimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/footbrawl/1845723.aspx

Above is a link to the "ALLEGED" incident in PL Footy over the weekend.

Report from the PL Times.

Would love to hear the thoughts of some impartial (non PL) posters on what you would consider appropriate sanctions..

Having been involved in footy for many years as both player & administrator, my take on this sort of behaviour is straight forward.

If the 2 players were reported for "behind the ball" incidents which rendered the Boston player injured and if found guilty by the tribunal, suspend them for an entire season. If a spectator was involved and is found guilty of being involved in an offence similar to the players, ban him for 12 months from attending local footy in the Port Lincoln League.
If leagues don't get fair dinkum about this, it will continue on and it's only a matter of time before someone gets very seriously injured or killed.
Tough steps now might save some pain further down the track.

After reading the story in the Advertiser, I have revised my thoughts. Give the "king hit merchant" a life ban, who needs that in sport, he's nothing more than a bloody coward!
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby aceman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:06 pm

After reading the story in the Advertiser, I have revised my thoughts. Give the "king hit merchant" a life ban, who needs that in sport, he's nothing more than a bloody coward!

It's probably also time to replace the soft c..k commissioners that have handed down the weak 4 games ban on this moron, what are they afraid he might run to higher authorities claiming some ridiculous bias or the like.
Don't need him or this sort of thing in any sport, anywhere. Get rid of him and all like him!
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby sunbowler » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Only one report in whole BLG this season!! Some touchy incidents rumoured in lower grades but lack of incidents in a comp which is played in close on many small grounds mainly due to a very good crop of senior coaches at moment and well run clubs. On field incidents thrive in comps where clubs and coaches escape pain on the scoreboard. Another factor is a well run umpires association - Peter Dunstan outstanding as an umpires coach, can't remember better.
sunbowler

Postby aceman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:21 am

sunbowler wrote:Only one report in whole BLG this season!! Some touchy incidents rumoured in lower grades but lack of incidents in a comp which is played in close on many small grounds mainly due to a very good crop of senior coaches at moment and well run clubs. On field incidents thrive in comps where clubs and coaches escape pain on the scoreboard. Another factor is a well run umpires association - Peter Dunstan outstanding as an umpires coach, can't remember better.

Well said, this group of guys is given great direction from their President & coach all the way through and the clubs are to be congratulated also.
Always behind the 8 ball
aceman
Coach

Postby Efficient » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:50 am

I think leagues need to get tougher on penalties. We have had at least one, and have heard rumours of a couple of others, where the case was thrown out because the umpire had to work! Surely they can reschedule if they are serious about the image of the league. Just a side note, the player that got off on this case was heavily involved in Saturdays incident.
Efficient
Mini-League

Postby whatfuture » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:26 pm

sunbowler wrote:Only one report in whole BLG this season!! Some touchy incidents rumoured in lower grades but lack of incidents in a comp which is played in close on many small grounds mainly due to a very good crop of senior coaches at moment and well run clubs. On field incidents thrive in comps where clubs and coaches escape pain on the scoreboard. Another factor is a well run umpires association - Peter Dunstan outstanding as an umpires coach, can't remember better.

Was one in lower grades that has been described on this website involving a runner from an U/17s team.

Believe all that came out of that was a warning given to the runner. Having spoken to the player and parent of the player a formal complaint will be lodged with the BLG.

If clubs wont protect their own JUNIOR players from verbal and physical attack from their own runners then SHAME on them i say.
whatfuture

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy