Money in Country Footy

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Money in Country Footy

Postby Newsbreaker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:16 pm

overthehill wrote:you lads might want to crunch some numbers when it comes to TV.
early this year Billy Neely told gary he has signed with Onkas for $800 per match and will not leave for under double. The rumoured figure is $2200. Here are my sums and i have a reasonable source
B. Neely $2200
J. Jaques $1950
D. Ellis $1600
L. Ellis $1600
J. Hill $1750 (plus weekly airfares)
Then add Mazzone, Cooper, Hunter, Burges, Surman, James, Sansbury, Kite and Young (easy $5-10k). Then add Phil Dudley if he comes
Now if you can show a man walking around that seriously thinks Gary puts a team on the park for under $10k per week, I'll show you an idiot

7-Dog wrote:
overthehill wrote:you lads might want to crunch some numbers when it comes to TV.
early this year Billy Neely told gary he has signed with Onkas for $800 per match and will not leave for under double. The rumoured figure is $2200. Here are my sums and i have a reasonable source
B. Neely $2200
J. Jaques $1950
D. Ellis $1600
L. Ellis $1600
Then add Mazzone, Cooper, Hunter, Burges, Surman and Young (easy $3-4k)
Now if you can show a man walking around that seriously thinks Gary puts a team on the park for under $10k per week, I'll show you an idiot

Are they all former League players?

You can add Kite to that list as-well. The only junior in that list is Lyle Sansbury.

I know that most players do get paid these days (whether if just $20-$50 or some of the larger amounts that are speculated) and one of my real loves is all the speculation (which it only is) of how much money players are actually getting.

It is very ridiculous to say that one player would be getting $2200 (that’s more than most people earn in a week) to play a game of country football. I also find it hard to believe that one-man “Gary” would spend close to $200,000 per season just pay players.

I’d love to know who your source is, and how reliable they are. I think people will find that some players are not getting paid anywhere close to the rumours that are circulating.
Adelaide's number 1 Newsbreaker
Newsbreaker

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Pommy Git » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:46 am

straight talker wrote::shock: you can get plenty of $ at the lions they tell me in the spencer gulf league!! They even pay coaches who have hardly won a game in there coaching careers and have been told not to re-apply for their jobs again at every club they have been to!!

fly - are you paying attention?
Pommy Git

Has liked: 8 times

Postby Full Stop » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:26 am

you lads might want to crunch some numbers when it comes to TV.
B. Neely $2200
J. Jaques $1950
D. Ellis $1600
L. Ellis $1600
Then add Mazzone, Cooper, Hunter, Burges, Surman, James, Sansbury, Kite and Young (easy $5-10k). Then add Phil Dudley if he comes
Now if you can show a man walking around that seriously thinks Gary puts a team on the park for under $10k per week, I'll show you an idiot!!

I have to say what a load of crap! There is noway in the world these players are getting anywhere near that sort of money. I know Josh Hill well and i can assure you he isn't close to that money he would like to think so and may even tell people he is on more money than he is but it couldn't be further from the truth. TV pay there good players well everyone knows that but let's keep things real people!
Full Stop
Rookie

Postby That Old Chestnut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:31 am

B. Neely $2200
J. Jaques $1950
D. Ellis $1600
L. Ellis $1600

OTH your 'reasonable source' was probably on the sauce when they told you this. I can tell you that the Ellis Bros are getting under 1K each, although i'm sure each of these players wishes you ran the football department and held the cheque book!
That Old Chestnut

Postby Zipper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:16 am

Kingston spend $60 per year ( and they have jsut lost there best player to another club re $)

Most HFL clubs spend $50k or more per year.

A HFL club was recenlty talking to a player (forward) who wanted a $20k signon fee and $1k per game!!! he wont be playing in the HFL!!![/quote]

Where are TV getting all of their money and is it sustainable. If they can get 100K per year to spend on players and can consistently do it every year then its not an issue and every one should get over it.[/quote]

Torrens Valley get most of there money because there coach owns a Successful Construction Company (Gary Hughes Construction) and if he wants to continue to put heaps of money into a club which he supports everyone else should not worry about it and focus on there own club.

Also from what I know most clubs do spend upwards of $50k on payments and on what I know Blackwood (which is meant to be one of the biggest spenders) spent just over this last year on player payments ($54,000 from what I heard)

If the clubs want to spend the money on players, it is totally there choice, but it does make it hard for smaller clubs to compete and at what point do you put a line through it and say 'that the most were spending on players.'

But I'm sure in the future we will hear about some clubs that have folded because they are unable to compete on and off the field with players and payments.[/quote]

I heard that the 54k was just spent on the juniors[/quote]

haha, your a funny one :roll: Blackwood didn't pay there juniors.
The only thing I could think of paying a junior is if a junior plays 3 or more a-grade games or when they get BOG they get canteen vouchers. DOES THAT COUNT AS PAYMENT?[/quote]

That's a lot of Playstations.
Zipper
Rookie

Postby McGovern » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Flipper wrote:
McGovern wrote:
cominghome wrote:
McGovern wrote:How can a Premieship be measured? What is one worth to a club (dollars)? Clubs spend north of 50-60k for nil return (premiership). These same clubs I'm sure could use better lights, facilities, etc. Where does it end? Even if you win a Premiership, it ain't gonna get any cheaper for you next year! I'm a romantic living in a dream world, but I'm gonna hang onto that dream that people might one day play at a club because they enjoy it and that's where their mates play.[/q

According to the SGL Forum hasn't your club just drop some of those values you have spoken about in your dream world.

Quote: Safety in number

They're my own values! It's easy for me to have them too cos I'm not somebody who would ever be offered money to play either! Feel free anybody to correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there's a club anywhere (above div 5 amateur level) that doesn't pay at least one player something above best player awards?

Pembroke, CBC both div 3.
I know for CBC it is just not sustainable.

Hats off to you, might come for a look if I move back to the big smoke. It's a shame that how successful you are is dictated by how much money you've got. Sure if you're not paying any money the standard may not be quite as good, but at least you know the blokes you play with are there for the same reasons you are. Div 3 SAAFL is a good standard of footy.
Footy for free
McGovern
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby chopper7 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:20 pm

That Old Chestnut wrote:
B. Neely $2200
J. Jaques $1950
D. Ellis $1600
L. Ellis $1600

OTH your 'reasonable source' was probably on the sauce when they told you this. I can tell you that the Ellis Bros are getting under 1K each, although i'm sure each of these players wishes you ran the football department and held the cheque book!

there is not a hope in hell Surman would be gettin any sort of coin at TV.... the blokes a spud, he played A grade at meadows so why would they throw him silly amounts of cash to come to TV... what a joke!! but good luck to em
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby atlantis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 pm

B. Neely $2200
J. Jaques $1950
D. Ellis $1600
L. Ellis $1600

I Can confirm one of those payments but as hes a friend im not giving anymore
atlantis

Postby White Unicorn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:39 am

Flipper wrote:
McGovern wrote:
cominghome wrote:
McGovern wrote:How can a Premieship be measured? What is one worth to a club (dollars)? Clubs spend north of 50-60k for nil return (premiership). These same clubs I'm sure could use better lights, facilities, etc. Where does it end? Even if you win a Premiership, it ain't gonna get any cheaper for you next year! I'm a romantic living in a dream world, but I'm gonna hang onto that dream that people might one day play at a club because they enjoy it and that's where their mates play.[/q

According to the SGL Forum hasn't your club just drop some of those values you have spoken about in your dream world.

Quote: Safety in number

They're my own values! It's easy for me to have them too cos I'm not somebody who would ever be offered money to play either! Feel free anybody to correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there's a club anywhere (above div 5 amateur level) that doesn't pay at least one player something above best player awards?

Pembroke, CBC both div 3.

I know for CBC it is just not sustainable.

U can put shoc in there as well in Div 1. It defeats the argument that one of the best "amatuer" clubs in the state doesnt pay a cent in players. It can be done and believe it or not it actually attracts players to ur club. 5 sides and 140 senior players
White Unicorn
Rookie

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy