Money in Country Footy

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Money in Country Footy

Postby slug » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:25 pm

realy starting to get sick of all you hills clubs crapping on about country footy,if you are less than an hour from the city centre you are not country you are surban/park clubs,try getting players to travel 250kms plus for a game of footy to a town with hardly any local players left,just great people running great clubs with great supporters then you have the right to talk about money in country footy!!!!
slug
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hornridge

Postby Kick'n Back » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Newsbreaker wrote:
beer o'clock wrote:
the big fella wrote:Tv spend over 100k per year

Kingston spend $60 per year ( and they have jsut lost there best player to another club re $)

Most HFL clubs spend $50k or more per year.

A HFL club was recenlty talking to a player (forward) who wanted a $20k signon fee and $1k per game!!! he wont be playing in the HFL!!!

Where are TV getting all of their money and is it sustainable. If they can get 100K per year to spend on players and can consistently do it every year then its not an issue and every one should get over it.

Torrens Valley get most of there money because there coach owns a Successful Construction Company (Gary Hughes Construction) and if he wants to continue to put heaps of money into a club which he supports everyone else should not worry about it and focus on there own club.

Also from what I know most clubs do spend upwards of $50k on payments and on what I know Blackwood (which is meant to be one of the biggest spenders) spent just over this last year on player payments ($54,000 from what I heard)

If the clubs want to spend the money on players, it is totally there choice, but it does make it hard for smaller clubs to compete and at what point do you put a line through it and say 'that the most were spending on players.'

But I'm sure in the future we will hear about some clubs that have folded because they are unable to compete on and off the field with players and payments.

I heard that the 54k was just spent on the juniors
Kick'n Back
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times

Postby Newsbreaker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Kick'n Back wrote:
Newsbreaker wrote:
beer o'clock wrote:
the big fella wrote:Tv spend over 100k per year

Kingston spend $60 per year ( and they have jsut lost there best player to another club re $)

Most HFL clubs spend $50k or more per year.

A HFL club was recenlty talking to a player (forward) who wanted a $20k signon fee and $1k per game!!! he wont be playing in the HFL!!!

Where are TV getting all of their money and is it sustainable. If they can get 100K per year to spend on players and can consistently do it every year then its not an issue and every one should get over it.

Torrens Valley get most of there money because there coach owns a Successful Construction Company (Gary Hughes Construction) and if he wants to continue to put heaps of money into a club which he supports everyone else should not worry about it and focus on there own club.

Also from what I know most clubs do spend upwards of $50k on payments and on what I know Blackwood (which is meant to be one of the biggest spenders) spent just over this last year on player payments ($54,000 from what I heard)

If the clubs want to spend the money on players, it is totally there choice, but it does make it hard for smaller clubs to compete and at what point do you put a line through it and say 'that the most were spending on players.'

But I'm sure in the future we will hear about some clubs that have folded because they are unable to compete on and off the field with players and payments.

I heard that the 54k was just spent on the juniors

haha, your a funny one :roll: Blackwood didn't pay there juniors.
The only thing I could think of paying a junior is if a junior plays 3 or more a-grade games or when they get BOG they get canteen vouchers. DOES THAT COUNT AS PAYMENT?
Adelaide's number 1 Newsbreaker
Newsbreaker

Postby McGovern » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 pm

How can a Premieship be measured? What is one worth to a club (dollars)? Clubs spend north of 50-60k for nil return (premiership). These same clubs I'm sure could use better lights, facilities, etc. Where does it end? Even if you win a Premiership, it ain't gonna get any cheaper for you next year! I'm a romantic living in a dream world, but I'm gonna hang onto that dream that people might one day play at a club because they enjoy it and that's where their mates play.
Footy for free
McGovern
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby Darth Vader » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:26 pm

McGovern wrote:How can a Premieship be measured? What is one worth to a club (dollars)? Clubs spend north of 50-60k for nil return (premiership). These same clubs I'm sure could use better lights, facilities, etc. Where does it end? Even if you win a Premiership, it ain't gonna get any cheaper for you next year! I'm a romantic living in a dream world, but I'm gonna hang onto that dream that people might one day play at a club because they enjoy it and that's where their mates play.

I can remember a commitee man from Orroroo telling me their back to back NAFA premierships in 1998/99 brought in about $60k in memberships, sponsorships and general earnings. Don't know how true it was but he seemed convinced.
Caution! You are now entering the no-spin zone...
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby NO-MERCY » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Seagull wrote:You cant buy a premiership, they all take hard work and you still have to win on the big day

Just ask Mannum! :oops:
NO-MERCY
Coach

Been liked: 15 times

Postby lebron » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:49 am

What about local players? The a graders who are the glue to holding the club together? I wish they were given more money too, as opposed to spending $400 per game on a player not as good, whilst the local gets nothing or $50!
lebron
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby McGovern » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 pm

I never thought I would see the day that a born and bred Brooker would play somewhere else for money. Especially after the "You can't buy what we've got" catchphrase aimed at Gazza and his chequebook. I spose they've delivered a couple premierships and now it's time to cash in??
Footy for free
McGovern
Under 16s

Postby pushing forward » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 am

McGovern wrote:I never thought I would see the day that a born and bred Brooker would play somewhere else for money. Especially after the "You can't buy what we've got" catchphrase aimed at Gazza and his chequebook. I spose they've delivered a couple premierships and now it's time to cash in??

Sometimes you have to look after your family i guess. Proabably a bit like moving away from your friends, family and footy club for work in some ways.
pushing forward
Rookie

Postby cominghome » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:57 am

[quote="McGovern"]How can a Premieship be measured? What is one worth to a club (dollars)? Clubs spend north of 50-60k for nil return (premiership). These same clubs I'm sure could use better lights, facilities, etc. Where does it end? Even if you win a Premiership, it ain't gonna get any cheaper for you next year! I'm a romantic living in a dream world, but I'm gonna hang onto that dream that people might one day play at a club because they enjoy it and that's where their mates play.[/q

According to the SGL Forum hasn't your club just drop some of those values you have spoken about in your dream world.

Quote: Safety in number
cominghome

Postby McGovern » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:22 am

cominghome wrote:
McGovern wrote:How can a Premieship be measured? What is one worth to a club (dollars)? Clubs spend north of 50-60k for nil return (premiership). These same clubs I'm sure could use better lights, facilities, etc. Where does it end? Even if you win a Premiership, it ain't gonna get any cheaper for you next year! I'm a romantic living in a dream world, but I'm gonna hang onto that dream that people might one day play at a club because they enjoy it and that's where their mates play.[/q

According to the SGL Forum hasn't your club just drop some of those values you have spoken about in your dream world.

They're my own values! It's easy for me to have them too cos I'm not somebody who would ever be offered money to play either! Feel free anybody to correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there's a club anywhere (above div 5 amateur level) that doesn't pay at least one player something above best player awards?
Footy for free
McGovern
Under 16s

Postby 7-Dog » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:43 am

cominghome wrote:
McGovern wrote:How can a Premieship be measured? What is one worth to a club (dollars)? Clubs spend north of 50-60k for nil return (premiership). These same clubs I'm sure could use better lights, facilities, etc. Where does it end? Even if you win a Premiership, it ain't gonna get any cheaper for you next year! I'm a romantic living in a dream world, but I'm gonna hang onto that dream that people might one day play at a club because they enjoy it and that's where their mates play.[/q

NO
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
7-Dog
Reserves

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 pm

In an ideal world, there would be a salary cap that is policed on a continuous basis and the closer the club to the city, the lower the salary cap and the further away from the city, the higher the salary cap. Won't happen, but that's what I think should happen. No wonder clubs 300 k's or further from town struggle to get players when the so called country clubs 15 minutes from the outskirts of Adelaide's outer suburbs are paying ridiculous money for players.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Bum Crack wrote:In an ideal world, there would be a salary cap that is policed on a continuous basis and the closer the club to the city, the lower the salary cap and the further away from the city, the higher the salary cap. Won't happen, but that's what I think should happen. No wonder clubs 300 k's or further from town struggle to get players when the so called country clubs 15 minutes from the outskirts of Adelaide's outer suburbs are paying ridiculous money for players.

Pay them in yabbies Bum Crack :D :D
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby OnSong » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Yabbies, the official currency of the RFL.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby straight talker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:07 pm

:shock: you can get plenty of $ at the lions they tell me in the spencer gulf league!! They even pay coaches who have hardly won a game in there coaching careers and have been told not to re-apply for their jobs again at every club they have been to!!
straight talker

Postby Flipper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:27 pm

McGovern wrote:
cominghome wrote:

They're my own values! It's easy for me to have them too cos I'm not somebody who would ever be offered money to play either! Feel free anybody to correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there's a club anywhere (above div 5 amateur level) that doesn't pay at least one player something above best player awards?

Pembroke, CBC both div 3.

I know for CBC it is just not sustainable.
It takes real courage to wear PURPLE!!!!!
Flipper
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby been there done that » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Interesting topic. When i was playing in the 90s i didn't mind the blokes getting paid as recruits as long a they were worth it or had something to back up why they were getting piad. Eg won a mail medal or coming from a league club. One thing that gets me offside is blokes that put their hand up to get paid but they have nothing what so ever in their football resume to warrant being paid. I agree with some of the post about its the clubs fault for paying these blokes. If only i was playing in todays environment
been there done that
Rookie

Postby overthehill » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm

you lads might want to crunch some numbers when it comes to TV.
early this year Billy Neely told gary he has signed with Onkas for $800 per match and will not leave for under double. The rumoured figure is $2200. Here are my sums and i have a reasonable source
B. Neely $2200
J. Jaques $1950
D. Ellis $1600
L. Ellis $1600
J. Hill $1750 (plus weekly airfares)
Then add Mazzone, Cooper, Hunter, Burges, Surman, James, Sansbury, Kite and Young (easy $5-10k). Then add Phil Dudley if he comes
Now if you can show a man walking around that seriously thinks Gary puts a team on the park for under $10k per week, I'll show you an idiot
Last edited by overthehill on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
overthehill
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby 7-Dog » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:31 pm

overthehill wrote:you lads might want to crunch some numbers when it comes to TV.
early this year Billy Neely told gary he has signed with Onkas for $800 per match and will not leave for under double. The rumoured figure is $2200. Here are my sums and i have a reasonable source
B. Neely $2200
J. Jaques $1950
D. Ellis $1600
L. Ellis $1600
J. Hill $1750 (plus weekly airfares)
Then add Mazzone, Cooper, Hunter, Burges, Surman and Young (easy $3-4k)
Now if you can show a man walking around that seriously thinks Gary puts a team on the park for under $10k per week, I'll show you an idiot

Are they all former League players?
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
7-Dog
Reserves

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy