Money in Country Footy

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Money in Country Footy

Postby Whos ya daddy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:55 am

Is it just me or are the amounts of money being given out to guys running around in Country Footy a joke and it only seems to be getting worse. For players to be getting over a $1000 a games is ridiculous (which I personally know of a few in a couple of different leagues) but the rumours that have been popping up this year that some guys may be getting up to $1500 to $2000 for a game of country footy is outright crazy.

Who's to blame and what affect will it have on Country Footy in a couple of year’s time?

Will some clubs (which may have been successful in recent years) have to fold because they can’t sustain the amounts being paid to players each week, especially when country footy clubs don’t have that high of an income coming in. After all they aren’t a business!

Personally I believe it is the clubs to blame, as they are the ones forking out the big bucks to players week in week out (many of which aren't that good in my opinion) as that’s what they believe need to be done these days to be successful.

But what is the value of a premiership? Do you have to ruin your club a get one these days?

Some people may blame the players who are chasing the money, but think about it, if you are a uni student (which a lot of these guys are) earning maybe $15/hour doing part time work at Big W and you are offered $500+ for playing a game of a footy each work (for about 6 hours work), who in their right mind would say no to that.
If the clubs don’t offer such large amounts to these footballers then the players wouldn’t be inclined to try and get such big amounts.

I am accountant but with the large amounts of money being paid under the table to players which I'm certain isn’t claimed in their tax returns, I wonder what the tax agents would think about the fact that some people are earning over $20,000 a year on top of their normal salary which is going unclaimed.

Who is to blame?
How can we fix it?

I would love to hear (and I sure other people would too) other peoples thoughts on this topic.
Whos ya daddy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Money in Country Footy

Postby Free Kick For » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 am

People are entitled to earn a secondary income if they are given the oppurtunity.

Lots of the players that are being offered the big coin in country footy have put in a fair bit of hard work to get their football to that level and in a way it is a reward for that hard work. I would much rather see footballers earning money this way (under the table or not) and bringing some excitement and interest into the football community rather than going the other way and trying to find that money elsewhere (illegally?) and country teams having to field a "B" grade side each week and country footy dying that way (lack of interest, good local players moving away to find better competition?). These players are used as top ups it is not like clubs are buying 10+ players it is usually 2 or 3 well paid at each club, and the funding comes from a range of different places (supporters, sponsors and members) if the player is willing to take the money he also has to be prepared to take it on the chin if he isnt performing or is a shit clubman. I personally dont have a problem with the system and i also believe that offers (especially on this site) are massively exaggerated.
At the end of the day if clubs cant afford it they will not do it, but why drive around a 1987 pulsar if you can buy a new commodore..noone likes settling for less especially when they know they can have more! When the money dries up for that club they sell their commodore and start again, every team will have its day, rewards teams making a big effort too!...fair bump play on imo...
Free Kick For

Been liked: 1 time

Postby PIMPDADDY » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Free Kick For wrote:People are entitled to earn a secondary income if they are given the oppurtunity.

Lots of the players that are being offered the big coin in country footy have put in a fair bit of hard work to get their football to that level and in a way it is a reward for that hard work. I would much rather see footballers earning money this way (under the table or not) and bringing some excitement and interest into the football community rather than going the other way and trying to find that money elsewhere (illegally?) and country teams having to field a "B" grade side each week and country footy dying that way (lack of interest, good local players moving away to find better competition?). These players are used as top ups it is not like clubs are buying 10+ players it is usually 2 or 3 well paid at each club, and the funding comes from a range of different places (supporters, sponsors and members) if the player is willing to take the money he also has to be prepared to take it on the chin if he isnt performing or is a **** clubman. I personally dont have a problem with the system and i also believe that offers (especially on this site) are massively exaggerated.
At the end of the day if clubs cant afford it they will not do it, but why drive around a 1987 pulsar if you can buy a new commodore..noone likes settling for less especially when they know they can have more! When the money dries up for that club they sell their commodore and start again, every team will have its day, rewards teams making a big effort too!...fair bump play on imo...

Well said =D> =D>
PIMPDADDY

Postby Grape Ape » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:47 pm

I suspect the inflated payments we are hearing about are a direct result of the points system. Clubs can't go and recruit 10 A graders for $100 pw anymore. Clubs only have room for a limited number of recruits while player budgets remain the same. Therefore more money for less players.
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Efficient » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Grape Ape wrote:I suspect the inflated payments we are hearing about are a direct result of the points system. Clubs can't go and recruit 10 A graders for $100 pw anymore. Clubs only have room for a limited number of recruits while player budgets remain the same. Therefore more money for less players.

Good Point.

Also the money in SA country footy is nothing compared to that in country Vic where most clubs are run as 'businesses'.
Efficient
Mini-League

Postby Amateur Footy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Grape Ape wrote:I suspect the inflated payments we are hearing about are a direct result of the points system. Clubs can't go and recruit 10 A graders for $100 pw anymore. Clubs only have room for a limited number of recruits while player budgets remain the same. Therefore more money for less players.

The points system was introduced to assist clubs without the capability on spending huge $$$ on players and to prevent too much poaching from league footy. In the end it will achieve neither but to say the points system causes the high player payments is completely false. High player payments caused first the salary cap (which was a waste of everyone's time) and then the points system.

I agree it is the clubs' fault and leagues have not made a big effort to control it, why would they? Tho I can't understand why people think players "deserve" money to play at this level, it's only amateur footy and there's no superstars out there. It hasn't raised the standard that much either, just cost clubs a heap of $$$ which is at the expense of spending on facilites.

Until the Australian Tax Office become interested in taxing these payments and imposing hefty fines on club comittees for under the table payments, there will be no change. The ATO would need to invest heavily in policing the payments tho - is it worth it to them?

Points system or no points system makes no difference IMO. Clubs will still spend everything they can on players.
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby lebron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:40 pm

All this talk about tax office is garbage. Why would the ATO bother? They wouldn't. The ATO targets persons/companies on million dollar incomes, so that they're investigative time and resources aren't wasted for a measley few thousand dollars from amateur footy clubs. Give me a break!!!!
lebron
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 pm

lebron wrote:All this talk about tax office is garbage. Why would the ATO bother? They wouldn't. The ATO targets persons/companies on million dollar incomes, so that they're investigative time and resources aren't wasted for a measley few thousand dollars from amateur footy clubs. Give me a break!!!!

Torrens Valley?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 719 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Can never be policed.
Ive been involved at clubs where guys were getting paid $1200 a week in the mid nineties. The club didnt foot a cent of the bill, a wealthy club sponsor paid it all cash in hand.
Not an uncommon practice to reward players with decent cash incentives for wins,finals etc. As long as its not harming the club im all for guys getting paid top coin.
I say good luck to the guys getting it aswell. Kniw a couple of ex league reserve players on $150 and still training heaps while holding down jobs. If they can go to the country and get $500+ a game and train 2 nights good luck to them.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Free Kick For » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 am

Salis north have a billion dollar pokie empire at their clubrooms probly more of a reason for the taxman to check that out! I'd say they were being audited for other reasons than being an amatuer football club, the taxman would have simply checked out their entire "business"!
Free Kick For

Postby Swamp Donkey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 am

Who is to blame?

The clubs and sponsers offering this money. The players themselves can't be blamed if someone is stupid enough to handover that sort of coin every week.

How can we fix it?

I think the points system is a good one. There are no players playing country footy that have an influence which is worth $1000 a game, especially in finals when it counts. These types are not the ones that you'd take to war and we all know it. Trouble is they're not there for the right reasons which is degrading for their teammates.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Darth Vader » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 am

It should be remembered that not all player rewards come in the form of cash. I know of many cases in the bush where items like bales of hay, stud rams, building materials and other assorted "goods" are slipped quietly to a player while the books show him earning a modest few bucks a game and some petrol or travelling money.
Caution! You are now entering the no-spin zone...
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby beer o'clock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:42 am

Darth Vader wrote:It should be remembered that not all player rewards come in the form of cash. I know of many cases in the bush where items like bales of hay, stud rams, building materials and other assorted "goods" are slipped quietly to a player while the books show him earning a modest few bucks a game and some petrol or travelling money.

Yep i have heard of players getting paid in cattle
beer o'clock

Postby Drop Bear » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:07 am

beer o'clock wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:It should be remembered that not all player rewards come in the form of cash. I know of many cases in the bush where items like bales of hay, stud rams, building materials and other assorted "goods" are slipped quietly to a player while the books show him earning a modest few bucks a game and some petrol or travelling money.

and in females.

(well it could be happening!)
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Free Kick For » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:27 am

Swamp Donkey wrote:Who is to blame?

The clubs and sponsers offering this money. The players themselves can't be blamed if someone is stupid enough to handover that sort of coin every week.

How can we fix it?

I think the points system is a good one. There are no players playing country footy that have an influence which is worth $1000 a game, especially in finals when it counts. These types are not the ones that you'd take to war and we all know it. Trouble is they're not there for the right reasons which is degrading for their teammates.

Swamp Donkey i think that is entirely up to the club in question if that players influence is worth a grand? In your opinion and mine it may not be but I am sure there are clubs out that that are happy with their arrangements and if not the players are moved on or not offered the same again! Clubs will learn from trial and error and eventually work out what they need/want.
Free Kick For

Postby carey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:28 am

Drop Bear wrote:
beer o'clock wrote:

and in females.

(well it could be happening!)

funny you bring that up! :lol:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby White Line Fever » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am

Some people judge players on how many goals they kick or disposals and if they are worth the money?

What about:

Leadership
Attitude
Clubmen
Ability to bring players with them
SANFL training experience
Successful culture/attitude which rubs off squad
If the club was severely lacking in a certain area ie, talls, defenders, mids, size, speed etc

Every club does its homework to a certain extent (obviously some less than others)
But personally anything $800+ is excessive seeing as alot of people work 40hr week and don't earn that.

Should be:

AFL experience $750
SANFL $500
Ressies $300-400
Mail Medal/B&F/leading goalkicker $350-$450
Quality A grade player or required by club for reasons above $50-300

Just my opinion.

Anyone know what SANFL gets paid?
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby the big fella » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:57 am

highest paying clubs..

Hills league
Torrens valley
Mt Barker

KNFL
Kaniva
Keith

who else??
the big fella
Under 18s

Postby false » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:22 pm

How much do HFL coaches generally get paid?
the reason i ask is I wonder if any clubs would take the risk and put in the money they would normally pay to players into a high quality coach.
Say instead of paying 4 blokes $500 to play, give $2000 a week to a high quality coach (I'm talking very high, SANFL quality) who could work on developing a group of locals, even extend his role to the 17's and see how that would go. Maybe given 2 or 3 years i wonder what kind of impact that could have with a team of amatuers.

thoughts?
false
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby Free Kick For » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Coach idea wouldnt work imo. An SANFL coach for example would be out of touch with what is required at Country Football level. Fair enough these highly paid players should be required to train more often, show more leadership/dedication but for most of the team and juniors they do it all for nothing. If the fun goes then so do they! I dont think there is much more a SANFL coach could do with a country team than someone who has half a brain already there, SANFL coaches spend hours a week on a game plan etc, hours out on the park with players. There is no magic wand to get this all done in 2 sessions on a half lit oval on tuesday/thursday nights! I am sure most players would not like to go 5 nights a week otherwise they would already be at a league club.
Free Kick For

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy