Money in Country Footy

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Money in Country Footy

Postby jstlookin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Seagull wrote:
the big fella wrote:highest paying clubs..

Hills league
Torrens valley 3?
Mt Barker 1?

KNFL
Kaniva ?
Keith 1?

A bit of a guess on Premierships, no idea on $$$'s
Any close estimates on how much it's cost these teams in the last 5 years and how many flags it's got them? Then divide the premierships by the money spent for an average.
Think you'll find it's BIG number.

I believe that it costs TV around $90 - 100k + maybe more to mantain the list they have had for the last 3 - 4 years maybe not so much this year with alot exiting. and i believe they have won 2 or 3 of the last 5 so alot of money getting thrown around by Gary Glitter
jstlookin
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Grape Ape » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Seagull wrote:

Hills league
Torrens valley 3?
Mt Barker 1?

KNFL
Kaniva ?
Keith 1?

Any close estimates on how much it's cost these teams in the last 5 years and how many flags it's got them? Then divide the premierships by the money spent for an average.

Interesting, the clubs you name there. I think three of them would struggle to attract any quality players if they didn't offer good coin. Kaniva and Keith because of their remoteness and the diminishing rural population and T.V. because of the perception of it being a div 2 club. I don't think an analysis of coin to premierships would prove much because in my experience it's not the recruits that make the difference on GF day. What usually seperates the top sides is the quality of players 8 - 22 who are most likely locals anyway. That's not to say the stars aren't important but I think the old "champion team v a team of champions" applies.

I'm interested to know which country premierships to safootiers think have been genuinely 'bought' in recent times?
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Goldberg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Jervois' golden era comes to mind from the RMFL
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby beer o'clock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Grape Ape wrote:
Seagull wrote:

Hills league
Torrens valley 3?
Mt Barker 1?

KNFL
Kaniva ?
Keith 1?

Interesting, the clubs you name there. I think three of them would struggle to attract any quality players if they didn't offer good coin. Kaniva and Keith because of their remoteness and the diminishing rural population and T.V. because of the perception of it being a div 2 club. I don't think an analysis of coin to premierships would prove much because in my experience it's not the recruits that make the difference on GF day. What usually seperates the top sides is the quality of players 8 - 22 who are most likely locals anyway. That's not to say the stars aren't important but I think the old "champion team v a team of champions" applies.

I'm interested to know which country premierships to safootiers think have been genuinely 'bought' in recent times?

You cant buy a premiership, they all take hard work and you still have to win on the big day
beer o'clock

Postby Darth Vader » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:43 am

I believe the going rate for an entry-level coach in the NEFL and the NAFA is about 10 grand a year. Distill that down to an hourly rate and they are roughly on the same coin as the kid who stacks shelves in the local IGA after school
Caution! You are now entering the no-spin zone...
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby threestars » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:06 am

White Line Fever wrote:Some people judge players on how many goals they kick or disposals and if they are worth the money?

What about:

Leadership
Attitude
Clubmen
Ability to bring players with them
SANFL training experience
Successful culture/attitude which rubs off squad
If the club was severely lacking in a certain area ie, talls, defenders, mids, size, speed etc

Every club does its homework to a certain extent (obviously some less than others)
But personally anything $800+ is excessive seeing as alot of people work 40hr week and don't earn that.

Should be:

AFL experience $750
SANFL $500
Ressies $300-400
Mail Medal/B&F/leading goalkicker $350-$450
Quality A grade player or required by club for reasons above $50-300

Just my opinion.

Anyone know what SANFL gets paid?

SANFL Ressies depending on which club is somewhere between 50-90 bucks per game
SANFL League $300+ depends on the contract they sign with the club
threestars
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby words of wisdom » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Goldberg wrote:Jervois' golden era comes to mind from the RMFL

Mannum, Imps, Meninge, Tailem & maybe Ramblers would have spent more coin during that period not to win a flag!
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Goldberg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Read the question again mate ;) :lol:
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby words of wisdom » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Goldberg wrote:Read the question again mate ;) :lol:

Yeh Yeh... just couldn't let it slide :lol:
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Dewkicker » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Seagull wrote:

Hills league
Torrens valley 3?
Mt Barker 1?

KNFL
Kaniva ?
Keith 1?

Way off track with Keith. In the period where they played in four GF's for two flags they spent less than about half the sides in comp. Recruited blokes that wanted to play together and very much targeted ex Keith locals. 2007 flag four non Keith players 2008 three. Were also lucky to pick up 3 quality players who moved into town via teaching appointments. Also played in four U17 GF's in that period and two reserves.
Dewkicker
Rookie

Postby cricketlad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Dewkicker wrote:
Seagull wrote:

Hills league
Torrens valley 3?
Mt Barker 1?

KNFL
Kaniva ?
Keith 1?

Way off track with Keith. In the period where they played in four GF's for two flags they spent less than about half the sides in comp. Recruited blokes that wanted to play together and very much targeted ex Keith locals. 2007 flag four non Keith players 2008 three. Were also lucky to pick up 3 quality players who moved into town via teaching appointments. Also played in four U17 GF's in that period and two reserves.

bridgwater is the prime example of spending bucket loads of cash but having no good locals and mix that with avg recruits and you get a club that cant make finals after spending as much if not more then mt barker who made a grand final
cricketlad
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby Jetters » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:41 pm

I think people and clubs make the mistake of dishing out payment purely to players on on-field ability or hype surrounding ability. Should clubs be thinking more about the overall value a person brings to the club? What about someone who is a solid footballer but also volunteers, coaches the jnrs, on the committee etc... do these people offer more value to a club than a gun footballer, and therefore be invested in by the club with payment? What about a quality treasurer or sponsorship coordinator who may be able to save or generate substantial funds for the club? I guess its just making a shift from an amateur club to a professional club, but really is the best player at your club, who is receiving payment (often very significant $$), the most 'valuable' person at you club?
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Strawb » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:25 pm

I played in the Hampden League over here in Victoria and a few players were paid good coin. Warrnambool and South Warrnambool paid good money. Clubs like Camperdown, Cobden, Terang-Mortlake all were locals boys with a few not so locals in. But if you were a good magoos player the local Warrnambool league would offer you good money to go and play for them. In most cases some players could earn more money in the WDFNL than in the HFL.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Money in Country Footy

Postby Cash 123 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Would be really interesting to know a more precise or exact figure in regards to torrens valleys player payments, coach payments and the total they do spend each year on payments? :o :shock: :roll:
Cash 123
Under 18s

Been liked: 22 times

Postby the big fella » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Tv spend over 100k per year

Kingston spend $60 per year ( and they have jsut lost there best player to another club re $)

Most HFL clubs spend $50k or more per year.

A HFL club was recenlty talking to a player (forward) who wanted a $20k signon fee and $1k per game!!! he wont be playing in the HFL!!!
the big fella
Under 18s

Postby GWW » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Do the Hills clubs that spend upwards of $50k also include in that budget incentive payments?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby beer o'clock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm

the big fella wrote:Tv spend over 100k per year

Kingston spend $60 per year ( and they have jsut lost there best player to another club re $)

A HFL club was recenlty talking to a player (forward) who wanted a $20k signon fee and $1k per game!!! he wont be playing in the HFL!!!

Where are TV getting all of their money and is it sustainable. If they can get 100K per year to spend on players and can consistently do it every year then its not an issue and every one should get over it.
beer o'clock

Postby Newsbreaker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:06 pm

beer o'clock wrote:

Where are TV getting all of their money and is it sustainable. If they can get 100K per year to spend on players and can consistently do it every year then its not an issue and every one should get over it.

Torrens Valley get most of there money because there coach owns a Successful Construction Company (Gary Hughes Construction) and if he wants to continue to put heaps of money into a club which he supports everyone else should not worry about it and focus on there own club.

Also from what I know most clubs do spend upwards of $50k on payments and on what I know Blackwood (which is meant to be one of the biggest spenders) spent just over this last year on player payments ($54,000 from what I heard)

If the clubs want to spend the money on players, it is totally there choice, but it does make it hard for smaller clubs to compete and at what point do you put a line through it and say 'that the most were spending on players.'

But I'm sure in the future we will hear about some clubs that have folded because they are unable to compete on and off the field with players and payments.
Adelaide's number 1 Newsbreaker
Newsbreaker

Postby White Line Fever » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:09 pm

the big fella wrote:Kingston spend $60 per year ( and they have jsut lost there best player to another club re $ )

And i heard the other club offered him $70 a game so easy decision there
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby false » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Newsbreaker wrote:
beer o'clock wrote:

Torrens Valley get most of there money because there coach owns a Successful Construction Company (Gary Hughes Construction) and if he wants to continue to put heaps of money into a club which he supports everyone else should not worry about it and focus on there own club.

Also from what I know most clubs do spend upwards of $50k on payments and on what I know Blackwood (which is meant to be one of the biggest spenders) spent just over this last year on player payments ($54,000 from what I heard)

If the clubs want to spend the money on players, it is totally there choice, but it does make it hard for smaller clubs to compete and at what point do you put a line through it and say 'that the most were spending on players.'

But I'm sure in the future we will hear about some clubs that have folded because they are unable to compete on and off the field with players and payments.

I don't really think this will happen, although Callington could prove me wrong.
I think at the end of the day a country football club does not exist to win premierships. Winning is great and definelty helps with building supports but as long as there are 21 blokes in town that want to play footy there will be a team. Some teams will probably just never be successful on the field, that doesn't make them a failure as a club. Club's offer so much more than winning, and the worst part about all the money is that it creates all the talk about money and dilutes the true purpose of country footy exisiting.
false
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Birdwood

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy