Mid West
Whyalla

Level 5
Kangaroo Island
Broken Hill
Far West
Riverland Independent
Far Northern (Woomera)

That list looks pretty accurate to me. I would probably have Yorke Peninsula down a level or 2, and probably River Murray up to level 3.

Agree, top teams from river murray and hills country would beat any YP teams by 10 goal.
pushing forward
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Best SA Country Footy Leagues.

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 pm

Big Cox wrote:
200 Killer Wasps wrote:Extremely difficult to name them in a numerical order from best to worst. Maybe easier to group them from best to worst.
I have seen games, finals or the rep team from about 80% of these leagues but that would be over 25 years. Powerhouse leagues like SGFL, WBFL and Broken Hill are not as strong as they once were and dont attract the crowds they did. While Hills Country, APFL and NEFL have all improved markedly.

Level 1
Barossa Light & Gawler
Great Southern
Hills Central
Southern

Level 2
Yorke Peninsula
Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara
Riverland
Spencer Gulf
Western Border

Level 3
Mid South East
Port Lincoln
North Eastern
Adelaide Plains
Hills Country

Level 4
Eastern Eyre
River Murray
Northern Areas
Great Flinders
Mallee
Mid West
Whyalla

Level 5
Kangaroo Island
Broken Hill
Far West
Riverland Independent
Far Northern (Woomera)

Well done for having a go 200 KW.Have had involvement in or against a number of comps and spectated for a couple although most of these comps I have never seen and can only summise but can I suggest a couple of changes. SGL came from behind to beat Whyalla by a goal (?) last year so I think so on that basis I would drop the SGL 1 place and put Whyalla up 1. Northern Areas should join them. NEFL could be in level 2 and Adelaide Plains would be only a Killer Wasps whisker away from going into the same level and YP would be close to dropping down 1.

I think the carnivals are a good reflection within the qualitiy of the leagues, in saying that I think APFL is on pr or higher then YPFL. APFL won the carnival out of the 4 associations and before they made it out of the four leagus APFL won majority of the associaiton matches against YPFL.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby AKA » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:30 pm

have to agree with MH for a change :shock: Adelaide plains is a better comp than Yorke Peninsula
AKA
Under 16s

Been liked: 3 times

Postby threestars » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:05 pm

In terms of SGL, NAFA and Whyalla. SGL is better as a whole association but in saying that Roopena and Southern Flinders would do very well in SGL and could quite possibly win it.

Hills Country best league IMO followed by Barossa followed by GSFL.
threestars
Rookie

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:56 pm

I umpired a Cowell - Southern Flinders game about 4 years ago and while SF had a few out Cowell won fairly comfortably. SF had good players in Brand, Edson and Woolford as their best that day. In all my years of football I have never seen a team whinge to the umpires so much, even the Cowell players commented on it.

I have also seen Whyalla beaten by the EEFL but I dont see Whyalla as a league that enjoys playing rep matches. The team Roopena had last year is deserved of a higher level but are they good enough to drag the whole league up to that next level.

If that theory was used Callington would have to drag Hills Country down, and Hackham & Aldinga bring down Southern.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Poultry in Motion » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:07 pm

200 Killer Wasps wrote:I umpired a Cowell - Southern Flinders game about 4 years ago and while SF had a few out Cowell won fairly comfortably. SF had good players in Brand, Edson and Woolford as their best that day. In all my years of football I have never seen a team whinge to the umpires so much, even the Cowell players commented on it.

I have also seen Whyalla beaten by the EEFL but I dont see Whyalla as a league that enjoys playing rep matches. The team Roopena had last year is deserved of a higher level but are they good enough to drag the whole league up to that next level.

If that theory was used Callington would have to drag Hills Country down, and Hackham & Aldinga bring down Southern.

Some valid points there.(Especially the first one! ;) ). Trial games are hard to gauge. Depends on whos available and what each club is after. Some teams want to play their best players for a hit out prior to round 1 while the other might experiment or trial a heap of kids if they have a couple of weeks up their sleeve. Crystal Brook smashed Central Augusta last year in a trial game and I believe Centrals started pre season in December and had most players available. Centrals won the flag that year. I think BMW beat Blyth last year but lost to West a week earlier. West didnt trouble the scorers too much, Blyth won the NEFL and BMW were runners up.

threestars wrote:In terms of SGL, NAFA and Whyalla. SGL is better as a whole association but in saying that Roopena and Southern Flinders would do very well in SGL and could quite possibly win it.

Agree to disagree-If you look at overall competition strength I think I would still give NAFA the nod (just) over SGL at the moment.Very even comp all the way through. SGL has been for years a battle between 3 or 4 teams. Always difficult to compare these things though.Most wouldnt have seen other comps play too often and rarely from an impartial point of view.

Hills Country best league IMO followed by Barossa followed by GSFL.

I have never seen either Hills comp but from what I read on here Hills Central is the stronger comp isnt it? Hasnt Torrens Valley just gone "up" to Hills Central?
Poultry in Motion
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby GWW » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 pm

Hills Central definitely the stronger league of the 2.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Bat Pad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:42 am

Kick'n Back wrote:I also think hills country should be top 10. A couple of guys i have spoken to who have played hills country and yorke pen say top teams from yp would come around middle of table in hills country. Hills country get a bad name because they have to carry Callington and Sedan/Cambrai.
I think a toss of the coin for number 1 between Hills Central and BLG it shows in recent interleague games that they are pretty even with i think hills slightly ahead. Hills do have more clubs to choose from and do play hills country players in the team also which helps them be stronger in these games.

Only because they still couldn't get a full compiment of Central Players even after making it compulsory. In the last interleague game they had to use Country ruckman because no Central ruckman were available, the likes of Bradley, Down, Nicholas and Bowen who have all played league footy. In my opinion the Country players don't make it any stronger than it would have been. You could have named close to an entire side of players who had played league from the Central comp who did not play interleague that year.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Low Down » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 am

GWW wrote:
200 Killer Wasps wrote:Level 1
Barossa Light & Gawler
Great Southern
Hills Central
Southern

Level 2
Yorke Peninsula
Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara
Riverland
Spencer Gulf
Western Border

Level 3
Mid South East
Port Lincoln
North Eastern
Adelaide Plains
Hills Country

Level 4
Eastern Eyre
River Murray
Northern Areas
Great Flinders
Mallee
Mid West
Whyalla

Level 5
Kangaroo Island
Broken Hill
Far West
Riverland Independent
Far Northern (Woomera)

That list looks pretty accurate to me. I would probably have Yorke Peninsula down a level or 2, and probably River Murray up to level 3.

A great list! Finally something we can all seriously debate etc.
I'd agree dropping yorkey's and MAYBE SGL.
Promote North Eastern.
Maybe swap Hills Country AND/OR Adelaide Plains for Northern Areas and River Murray?
The Low Down
Rookie

Postby Goldberg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 am

I think the RMFL is not getting the respect it deserves here. We have gone down to the GSFL by 1,2 & 7 points respectively in the last 3 seasons in our annual association match, & have approx, 21 blokes running around in our comp who have played at league level or better. Plus many more who have played reserves. Add to that Div 1 blokes (which is a stronger comp then any Country comp) & a compliment of some VERY good locals who have made state country sides, & i cant see why we are so far down that list.

The only thing against us, but I think this happens in EVERY COMP ACROSS THE STATE, is that there is a marked difference between top & bottom upwards of 15 goals on a regular basis

I think in the last 5 years the comp has gone forward 3 fold after dropping off considerably through the earlier naughtys, after the 90's when we were possibly considered a Level 1 league!

We would quite comfortably beat any of the Level 3 association sides IMHO & also level 2 ones aswell

But is this the criteria for what makes a strong comp??? Not sure, but its what I'm using, because if your using eveness or something similar then SFL should be Div 5 yet we all know thats rediculous
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 am

A comp needs to be measured based on the last 6-8 players that are getting an A grade game in a certain League. There are good players everywhere and it's easy to pull the top 3 from each club (on average) to put together a good team of 21 to represent at Association level.

Using EP as an example, some of the guys getting an A grade game outside of Port Lincoln would only be average B graders in PL. This lack of depth reduces the quality of footy considerably, and makes some players look a lot better than they are!!
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby The Low Down » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:02 am

Goldberg wrote:I think the RMFL is not getting the respect it deserves here. We have gone down to the GSFL by 1,2 & 7 points respectively in the last 3 seasons in our annual association match, & have approx, 21 blokes running around in our comp who have played at league level or better. Plus many more who have played reserves. Add to that Div 1 blokes (which is a stronger comp then any Country comp) & a compliment of some VERY good locals who have made state country sides, & i cant see why we are so far down that list.

The only thing against us, but I think this happens in EVERY COMP ACROSS THE STATE, is that there is a marked difference between top & bottom upwards of 15 goals on a regular basis

I think in the last 5 years the comp has gone forward 3 fold after dropping off considerably through the earlier naughtys, after the 90's when we were possibly considered a Level 1 league!

We would quite comfortably beat any of the Level 3 association sides IMHO & also level 2 ones aswell

But is this the criteria for what makes a strong comp??? Not sure, but its what I'm using, because if your using eveness or something similar then SFL should be Div 5 yet we all know thats rediculous

Goldberg all great points however the GSFL has featured only 1 or 2 players from its powerhouse club Willunga in the past few seasons of assocaition football.
A lot of talent has left the RMFL however yes its not a bad league, just not a grade 1 or 2.
Thanks for bringing my attention to the SFL in grade one, I didnt even look for them and firstly they are not a country assoc IMSO and they are certinaly not a grade one at any point.

Perhaps we need to split clubs in the grade table in order to for ppl to be happy? Biggish job but and it takes away from the overall point maybe.
The Low Down
Rookie

Postby Goldberg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 am

That would be too hard for anyone to get correct! I guess every league has a soft spot for their own, but 1 last thing. I'm fairly sure that pre-seaon (& yes I know that it doesn't mean much) games between Imps(RMFL) & Lofty (HILLS CENTAL) have been very close with 1 each in the last 2 seasons, Mannum(RMFL) beat Barmera(RFL) Mypolonga beat Nairne(Hills Country), but the Tailem(RMFL) lost to Peake(Mallee).

So i guess what I'm saying is our club standard appears to be more the competitive with other clubs in leagues 2-3 catorgories above us, aswell as being beaten by those on equal terms, so who really knows ;)
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby Grape Ape » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 am

Footy Smarts wrote:
Goldberg all great points however the GSFL has featured only 1 or 2 players from its powerhouse club Willunga in the past few seasons of assocaition football.
A lot of talent.

That is because these matches have been U25 plus a few to make up the numbers. Very Mickey Mouse unfortunately. I've never understood why you wouldn't want the best available side playing in interleague matches.
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Goldberg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:30 am

Grape Ape wrote:
Footy Smarts wrote:
A lot of talent.

That is because these matches have been U25 plus a few to make up the numbers. Very Mickey Mouse unfortunately. I've never understood why you wouldn't want the best available side playing in interleague matches.

That goes both ways, with blokes like Hall, Waterhouse, White, Coulter, Sayers, Kay, Lynne, Martin, Fitsgerald, Bell, Honner just to name a few who dont play
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:49 am

There is a way/s to solve this once and for all, but I reckon it would be a long process. The way I would do it is to match up every club from every league in their respective finishing positions at the end of the minor round. Obviously there would be hundreds of combinations but someone may have a spare week on their hands. Then arises the question, how do you match up form lines??

Example: GSFL v Barossa (Who would win the following matches, most points wins)

Strath v Tanunda
Victor Harbor v Barossa District
Yankalilla v Gawler Central
Willunga v Angaston
Langhorne Creek v Nurioopta
Mt Compass v Freeling
McLaren v Kapunda
Myponga v South Gawler
Encounter Bay v Williston
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby flanker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 pm

Goldberg wrote:That would be too hard for anyone to get correct! I guess every league has a soft spot for their own, but 1 last thing. I'm fairly sure that pre-seaon (& yes I know that it doesn't mean much) games between Imps(RMFL) & Lofty (HILLS CENTAL) have been very close with 1 each in the last 2 seasons, Mannum(RMFL) beat Barmera(RFL) Mypolonga beat Nairne(Hills Country), but the Tailem(RMFL) lost to Peake(Mallee).

So i guess what I'm saying is our club standard appears to be more the competitive with other clubs in leagues 2-3 catorgories above us, aswell as being beaten by those on equal terms, so who really knows ;)

When did Imps ever play Mt Lofty? certainly don't remeber it happening in the last 10 years....
flanker
Rookie

Postby The Low Down » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Goldberg wrote:
Grape Ape wrote:
Footy Smarts wrote:
A lot of talent.

That goes both ways, with blokes like Hall, Waterhouse, White, Coulter, Sayers, Kay, Lynne, Martin, Fitsgerald, Bell, Honner just to name a few who dont play

You two could go back and forth all day... GA names from your league?
The Low Down
Rookie

Postby The Low Down » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:06 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:There is a way/s to solve this once and for all, but I reckon it would be a long process. The way I would do it is to match up every club from every league in their respective finishing positions at the end of the minor round. Obviously there would be hundreds of combinations but someone may have a spare week on their hands. Then arises the question, how do you match up form lines??

Example: GSFL v Barossa (Who would win the following matches, most points wins)

Strath v Tanunda
Victor Harbor v Barossa District
Yankalilla v Gawler Central
Willunga v Angaston
Langhorne Creek v Nurioopta DRAW
Mt Compass v Freeling DRAW
McLaren v Kapunda
Myponga v South Gawler
Encounter Bay v Williston
The Low Down
Rookie

Postby Goldberg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 pm

flanker wrote:
Goldberg wrote:That would be too hard for anyone to get correct! I guess every league has a soft spot for their own, but 1 last thing. I'm fairly sure that pre-seaon (& yes I know that it doesn't mean much) games between Imps(RMFL) & Lofty (HILLS CENTAL) have been very close with 1 each in the last 2 seasons, Mannum(RMFL) beat Barmera(RFL) Mypolonga beat Nairne(Hills Country), but the Tailem(RMFL) lost to Peake(Mallee).

When did Imps ever play Mt Lofty? certainly don't remeber it happening in the last 10 years....

Sorry Barker at the college oval
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy