Best SA Country Footy Leagues.

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Best SA Country Footy Leagues.

Postby McGovern » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:47 am

The informer wrote:
lebron wrote:
Footy Smarts wrote:
The informer wrote:Would a game between say the premiers of BL&G and Hills Central ever work?
If there was a money insentive for winning to motivate clubs to play their best sides and maybe at the beggining of the year so it doesn't effect the season too much?

I'm sure it'll never happen buy just a thought

Closest might be a pre-season trial or a challenge game as teh curtain raiser to round 1 of the AFL/SANFL or SANFL Gf?

Pro's - con's etc etc

Won't happen. You can barely get paid recruits to play trials let alone another game!

If there was a prize at the end, $5000 or something for the winning club surely that would help. But I agree, it won't happen.

Might only get half a team on the park for that price mate!! It will never happen - for the same reason that the halcyon days of Craig Bradley, John Platten, Gary Ablett and Tony Lockett in State of Origin are over. Too much money to risk. That 'Dream Team' game they played a year or two ago wasn't much chop, hardly a tackle laid all game cos not worth getting injured. The late and great EJ & Fos would be turning in their graves to see the that BEST footy matches EVER have been abandoned.
Footy for free
McGovern
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby Swamp Donkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:32 am

Hump17 wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:
Hump17 wrote:Hi guys great thread. I am involved in a country football league in Victoria and we have just signed a player from S.A. His name is Paul White and he played with Lincoln South in the Port Lincoln Football League. He is a very nice guy and doesn't talk much about where he played. Looks like a handy player but if anyone on the thread can give some more information about him or the league he played in it would be greatly appreciated

Paul White, super player!! Has won a mail medal in PL and also won a Reserves B&F with Norwood. Probably lacked that extra yard of pace required to play League footy but he is one tough little sod. Throws himself in all day and takes some big knocks for a smaller bloke but always gets up and goes in again. An inside ball winner.

You have yourself one very fine recruit, buy him in the players auction!!

Thanks a lot westcoastpanther. I appreciate the response. He certainly looks like he can play but you can never tell at training. I will keep it to myself and bid for him at the players auction. Good luck to who ever it is you play for or support. Hope you have a great year :D

Awesome bloke to boot. Is he still wearing the head gear?? Hes a class player.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Hump17 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:
Hump17 wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:
Hump17 wrote:Hi guys great thread. I am involved in a country football league in Victoria and we have just signed a player from S.A. His name is Paul White and he played with Lincoln South in the Port Lincoln Football League. He is a very nice guy and doesn't talk much about where he played. Looks like a handy player but if anyone on the thread can give some more information about him or the league he played in it would be greatly appreciated

Paul White, super player!! Has won a mail medal in PL and also won a Reserves B&F with Norwood. Probably lacked that extra yard of pace required to play League footy but he is one tough little sod. Throws himself in all day and takes some big knocks for a smaller bloke but always gets up and goes in again. An inside ball winner.

You have yourself one very fine recruit, buy him in the players auction!!

Thanks a lot westcoastpanther. I appreciate the response. He certainly looks like he can play but you can never tell at training. I will keep it to myself and bid for him at the players auction. Good luck to who ever it is you play for or support. Hope you have a great year :D

Awesome bloke to boot. Is he still wearing the head gear?? Hes a class player.

Does seem like a good genuine bloke. We have not played any practice matches yet so i have only seen him at training. Will keep you posted on the head gear SwampDonkey. Did you play with Whitey?
Hump17
Mini-League

Postby McGovern » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Top 7 no particular order:
Western Border
Hills Central
BL&G
Great Southern
Southern
Adelaide Plains
River Murray
Only seen the odd game here and there from these comps (except Hills which I'm familiar with). The rest of my opinion has been formed on 2nd hand info from talking with different people over the years. On their day I'm sure the best 21 from each of these comps would have a ripper hit-out with each other. League strengths ebb and flow from season to season. I'm led to believe that River Murray is perhaps not as strong as it once was and I think the Adelaide Plains League has been underestimated in some assessments.
Footy for free
McGovern
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby GWW » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Kowree Naracoorte would be stronger than RMFL these days, as well as Adelaide Plains.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Re: .

Postby theEMBRYO » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 pm

GWW wrote:Western Border have traditionally been the strongest league in the state, I think in recent years they have gone down the rankings however.

It's a funny one with the Western Border fl, because of our geographical position beit from both sides of the border unless it's through employment transfer or sanfl/ saafl listed home grown players coming home it's very hard to attract adelaide & melbourne based players to our league outside of these players being appointed as coaches.
In saying that while the KNTFL because of distance get alot more ex sanfl listed players to clubs are still behind as is the mid se behind again the WBfl clearly.
The standard of football at country level has dropped in the past 25 yrs too what it is now, fair enough some would argue that there's more money around today then there was back then but country standard in your top leagues is still good to watch today.
WB & the S.East zone sides is some what handicapped when it come to the sa country championships each yr as it can only pick there best players from there S.A affilliated sides, example - 4 mount teams, millicent. How much stronger w the boys from the kntfl and mid se would the squad be if it was allowed to pick from the vic sides in the WBfl - portland, casterton, 2x hamilton sides & heywood.
Yet the SE zone boys continually finish top 2-3 each yr in recent times minus selection from the vic teams.

The WBfl i think is still rated up there in the top 5 leagues in country football S.A
theEMBRYO

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Love to see a fantasy tipping competition. You can pick any 10 teams in country SA before round 1. After seasons end which tipster gets the most wins during the year wins a prize.
Catch is that you can only have 1 club from each league you chose, also you're list of 10 must be different to any one elses with a first come, first serve rule in effect.

No i'm not running it ;)
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Chuck Wepner » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:57 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Love to see a fantasy tipping competition. You can pick any 10 teams in country SA before round 1. After seasons end which tipster gets the most wins during the year wins a prize.
Catch is that you can only have 1 club from each league you chose, also you're list of 10 must be different to any one elses with a first come, first serve rule in effect.

No i'm not running it ;)

why mention it then ?
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:26 pm

Because im freeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy