Best SA Country Footy Leagues.

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Best SA Country Footy Leagues.

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Footy Smarts wrote:
LuvsFooty wrote:There is a way/s to solve this once and for all, but I reckon it would be a long process. The way I would do it is to match up every club from every league in their respective finishing positions at the end of the minor round. Obviously there would be hundreds of combinations but someone may have a spare week on their hands. Then arises the question, how do you match up form lines??

Example: GSFL v Barossa (Who would win the following matches, most points wins)

Strath v Tanunda
Victor Harbor v Barossa District
Yankalilla v Gawler Central
Willunga v Angaston
Langhorne Creek v Nurioopta DRAW
Mt Compass v Freeling DRAW
McLaren v Kapunda
Myponga v South Gawler
Encounter Bay v Williston

Barossa beats GSFL
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Footy Smarts wrote:
GWW wrote:
200 Killer Wasps wrote:Level 1
Barossa Light & Gawler
Great Southern
Hills Central
Southern

Level 2
Yorke Peninsula
Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara
Riverland
Spencer Gulf
Western Border

Level 3
Mid South East
Port Lincoln
North Eastern
Adelaide Plains
Hills Country

Level 4
Eastern Eyre
River Murray
Northern Areas
Great Flinders
Mallee
Mid West
Whyalla

Level 5
Kangaroo Island
Broken Hill
Far West
Riverland Independent
Far Northern (Woomera)

That list looks pretty accurate to me. I would probably have Yorke Peninsula down a level or 2, and probably River Murray up to level 3.

A great list! Finally something we can all seriously debate etc.
I'd agree dropping yorkey's and MAYBE SGL.
Promote North Eastern.
Maybe swap Hills Country AND/OR Adelaide Plains for Northern Areas and River Murray?

There is no way Yorke Peninsula should be level 2. The standard of footy over there has dropped significantly in the past 10 years.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Grape Ape » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Footy Smarts wrote:
Goldberg wrote:
Grape Ape wrote:
Footy Smarts wrote:
Goldberg all great points however the GSFL has featured only 1 or 2 players from its powerhouse club Willunga in the past few seasons of assocaition football.
A lot of talent.

That is because these matches have been U25 plus a few to make up the numbers. Very Mickey Mouse unfortunately. I've never understood why you wouldn't want the best available side playing in interleague matches.

That goes both ways, with blokes like Hall, Waterhouse, White, Coulter, Sayers, Kay, Lynne, Martin, Fitsgerald, Bell, Honner just to name a few who dont play

You two could go back and forth all day... GA names from your league?

Wasn't having a crack at RMFL, just the U25 format. Names could be anyone over 25. Bring back the Lovelock Shield
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
Grape Ape
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby 7-Dog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:A comp needs to be measured based on the last 6-8 players that are getting an A grade game in a certain League. There are good players everywhere and it's easy to pull the top 3 from each club (on average) to put together a good team of 21 to represent at Association level.

Using EP as an example, some of the guys getting an A grade game outside of Port Lincoln would only be average B graders in PL. This lack of depth reduces the quality of footy considerably, and makes some players look a lot better than they are!!

I agree.

Footy Smarts wrote:
LuvsFooty wrote:There is a way/s to solve this once and for all, but I reckon it would be a long process. The way I would do it is to match up every club from every league in their respective finishing positions at the end of the minor round. Obviously there would be hundreds of combinations but someone may have a spare week on their hands. Then arises the question, how do you match up form lines??

Example: GSFL v Barossa (Who would win the following matches, most points wins)

Strath v Tanunda
Victor Harbor v Barossa District
Yankalilla v Gawler Central
Willunga v Angaston
Langhorne Creek v Nurioopta DRAW
Mt Compass v Freeling DRAW
McLaren v Kapunda
Myponga v South Gawler
Encounter Bay v Williston

Thats probably the best way to judge the strength of the leagues.
Tanunda got the nod over Strath (opinion), how competitive were the 3rd/4th team in BLG vs Tanunda?
How competitive were the teams 3rd/4th in GSFL vs Strath.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
7-Dog
Reserves

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby field of dreams » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Strath v Yank: lost by 10pts, won by 37pts
Strath v Victor: won by 9pts, lost by 6pts, won by 23pts in semi
Strath v Will: won by 30pts, won by 43pts, won by 3 pts in GF
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby bar20 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Wouldn't Hills Central be the closest Country League to Adelaide Metro. My point being that $500 offered to a player for a short drive up the freeway sounds far more inviting than a 150-250KM Drive for the same amount!

Didn't Uraidla win the flag last year and nearly half the side had SANFL or League experience? And the team they beat had the reigning Glenelg B&F?
bar20
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Bat Pad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 pm

bar20 wrote:Wouldn't Hills Central be the closest Country League to Adelaide Metro. My point being that $500 offered to a player for a short drive up the freeway sounds far more inviting than a 150-250KM Drive for the same amount!

Didn't Uraidla win the flag last year and nearly half the side had SANFL or League experience? And the team they beat had the reigning Glenelg B&F?

Correct on all counts. The team they beat was Mt Barker who were undefeated until the GF.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Postby lebron » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Hills Central.
BLG.
GSFL.
SFL.

I think these are your top 4 associations. I would like to see how the top 2 would go against each other in a carnival format, I think writing Tanunda to beat Strath in a previous post is just opinion, anyone of these top 2 clubs would beat another on their day!

And associations games, really, almost all of the paid players in each league don't play, so they can rest and that way the clubs don't lose out in the case of an injury etc.

So opinions, recruits, distance to clubs etc is the only way of figuring out the best league! And that really can't be done!

So I guess it's simple, Hills Central all the way :lol:
lebron
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby false » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Would a game between say the premiers of BL&G and Hills Central ever work?
If there was a money insentive for winning to motivate clubs to play their best sides and maybe at the beggining of the year so it doesn't effect the season too much?

I'm sure it'll never happen buy just a thought
false
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby The Low Down » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:19 pm

The informer wrote:Would a game between say the premiers of BL&G and Hills Central ever work?
If there was a money insentive for winning to motivate clubs to play their best sides and maybe at the beggining of the year so it doesn't effect the season too much?

Closest might be a pre-season trial or a challenge game as teh curtain raiser to round 1 of the AFL/SANFL or SANFL Gf?

Pro's - con's etc etc
The Low Down
Rookie

Postby lebron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Footy Smarts wrote:
The informer wrote:Would a game between say the premiers of BL&G and Hills Central ever work?

Closest might be a pre-season trial or a challenge game as teh curtain raiser to round 1 of the AFL/SANFL or SANFL Gf?

Pro's - con's etc etc

Won't happen. You can barely get paid recruits to play trials let alone another game!
lebron
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby false » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:54 pm

lebron wrote:
Footy Smarts wrote:

Pro's - con's etc etc

Won't happen. You can barely get paid recruits to play trials let alone another game!

If there was a prize at the end, $5000 or something for the winning club surely that would help. But I agree, it won't happen.
false
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm

And even if it was to happen this forum would be gridlocked for weeks with posters offering excuses for the non performance of their respective leagues.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby White Line Fever » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Where would the 7 divisions of SAAFL fit into these levels?

200 Killer Wasps wrote:
Level 1
Barossa Light & Gawler
Great Southern
Hills Central
Southern

Level 2
Yorke Peninsula
Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara
Riverland
Spencer Gulf
Western Border

Level 3
Mid South East
Port Lincoln
North Eastern
Adelaide Plains
Hills Country

Level 4
Eastern Eyre
River Murray
Northern Areas
Great Flinders
Mallee
Mid West
Whyalla

Level 5
Kangaroo Island
Broken Hill
Far West
Riverland Independent
Far Northern (Woomera)
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:00 pm

[quote="White Line Fever"]Where would the 7 divisions of SAAFL fit into these levels?

Don't think it matters its about country footy not saafl
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby White Line Fever » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:40 pm

TW Rooster wrote:
White Line Fever wrote:Where would the 7 divisions of SAAFL fit into these levels?

Southern = Marion
SAAFL = Kenilworth

couple of kms apart.

it does matter that why i asked.
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:55 pm

White Line Fever wrote:
TW Rooster wrote:
White Line Fever wrote:Where would the 7 divisions of SAAFL fit into these levels?

Southern = Marion
SAAFL = Kenilworth

couple of kms apart.

it does matter that why i asked.

Its a thread to discuss the quaility of the country leauges. yes Marion is close but they are in the SFL which is classed as country. Is this turned into a debate including SAAFL it would get out of control!!
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Hump17 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 am

sound4 wrote:Haven't seen many leagues but Hills Country needs to go a little higher, say around 10 or so. I would say it is better than Spencer Gulf. Port Lincoln could probably slide in there somewhere as well, pretty handy league.

Hills Central probably the best for me, but like I said haven't seen heaps of other leagues.

Hi guys great thread. I am involved in a country football league in Victoria and we have just signed a player from S.A. His name is Paul White and he played with Lincoln South in the Port Lincoln Football League. He is a very nice guy and doesn't talk much about where he played. Looks like a handy player but if anyone on the thread can give some more information about him or the league he played in it would be greatly appreciated
Hump17
Mini-League

Postby westcoastpanther » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:02 am

Hump17 wrote:
sound4 wrote:Haven't seen many leagues but Hills Country needs to go a little higher, say around 10 or so. I would say it is better than Spencer Gulf. Port Lincoln could probably slide in there somewhere as well, pretty handy league.

Hills Central probably the best for me, but like I said haven't seen heaps of other leagues.

Hi guys great thread. I am involved in a country football league in Victoria and we have just signed a player from S.A. His name is Paul White and he played with Lincoln South in the Port Lincoln Football League. He is a very nice guy and doesn't talk much about where he played. Looks like a handy player but if anyone on the thread can give some more information about him or the league he played in it would be greatly appreciated

Paul White, super player!! Has won a mail medal in PL and also won a Reserves B&F with Norwood. Probably lacked that extra yard of pace required to play League footy but he is one tough little sod. Throws himself in all day and takes some big knocks for a smaller bloke but always gets up and goes in again. An inside ball winner.

You have yourself one very fine recruit, buy him in the players auction!!
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Hump17 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:
Hump17 wrote:

Paul White, super player!! Has won a mail medal in PL and also won a Reserves B&F with Norwood. Probably lacked that extra yard of pace required to play League footy but he is one tough little sod. Throws himself in all day and takes some big knocks for a smaller bloke but always gets up and goes in again. An inside ball winner.

You have yourself one very fine recruit, buy him in the players auction!!

Thanks a lot westcoastpanther. I appreciate the response. He certainly looks like he can play but you can never tell at training. I will keep it to myself and bid for him at the players auction. Good luck to who ever it is you play for or support. Hope you have a great year :D
Hump17
Mini-League

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy