Good footy people....

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Good footy people....

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Every club's got them, but who are the good footy people at your clubs?
The ones who've been through thick and thin, stuck fat with your club?
The ones who stand on the gate, then goal umpire the colts before umpiring the B grade and then manning the barbie?

Of the clubs I've been involved with, some of the best have been Col and Edna Edwards (Loxton), Darran Van der Woude (Moorook-Kingston) and Neil Uzzell (Loxton North).

Tell us, all about them...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: Good footy people....

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Scratch Lovegrove (Cleve)

Is on the gate, then he's umpiring the colts and then boundary umpiring the A's. Prior to last year he did all that plus squeeze a game of B grade in. He does all this listening to his 'tranny' with an ear phone so he doesn't miss a race.

DW he is old Beetle, worked in the bank at Moorook in the 1970's.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby X Runna » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Every club's got them, but who are the good footy people at your clubs?
The ones who've been through thick and thin, stuck fat with your club?
The ones who stand on the gate, then goal umpire the colts before umpiring the B grade and then manning the barbie?

Of the clubs I've been involved with, some of the best have been Col and Edna Edwards (Loxton), Darran Van der Woude (Moorook-Kingston) and Neil Uzzell (Loxton North).

Tell us, all about them...

This is why they are so strong, and I know I will leave some people out here, but from the 80's at Mallala, & in no particular order......Jarmyn, Griffith, Wilson, Earl, Tucker, Angas, Algar, Kakoschke, Lutz, Curnow, Konzag, Franks, Roney & Work families come to mind. In those days the matriarch was Phyl Jarmyn, a mighty lady.

We are very lucky at Para Hills to have Phyl's "SAAFL peer" in Helen Beer.
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Would have to mention Michael "super" Elliott and his wife Sharon who have been trainers at Maccy for at least 30 years as well as for the HFL in association games for the majority of those years and Michael in particular has held a few committee posts over the years including his second run at secretary at the moment but other jobs he has done over years are varied.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Gill Bates » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 pm

William Butch Bejah is a great footy person
Gill Bates

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: West Augusta

Postby the big fella » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:15 am

Mark Jaensch at nairne

400 games/mail medal in colts/colts coach/curent president/superules player for state/done everything.. still plays when needed.
the big fella
Under 18s

Postby Sky Pilot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:39 pm

Basher Prior at Southern Flinders in the Northern Areas comp. Team manager for ages, was told a couple of years ago he had lung cancer and not to expect to much down the track. Well he's stayed around to see both their premierships (2009/10) and he's still going strong. Playing bowls for Laura as well I think. Was one of the most astute recruiting managers in the region during his hey day.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Media Park » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Gordon Nicholls (Boston Footy Club, Port Lincoln Footy League), began as a trainer of the BFC in the mid 80's, before joining the club committee and League committee in the early nineties, holds both club and league positions to the current day. Club, League and Interleague life member, who just does not stop.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Cougar » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Kim Pearce at Kersbrook. Coached the Under 17s, B grade (5 flags in a row!) and A grade at his time there, plus been on the committee for over 2 decades, and was president for a decade. The Multi Mail Medalist would have played over 500 senior games for the Double Blues, and only this year resigned that his playing days are best served with the Hills Super Rules team and State Over 50s.
Cougar
League - Best 21

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby coyote ugly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Media Park wrote:Gordon Nicholls (Boston Footy Club, Port Lincoln Footy League), began as a trainer of the BFC in the mid 80's, before joining the club committee and League committee in the early nineties, holds both club and league positions to the current day. Club, League and Interleague life member, who just does not stop.

x2
[quote="westcoastpanther"
Does PL footy really need the Tigers, after last years efforts I'd say no. It's a bye anyway, might as well just call the day off and go fishing!![/quote]
coyote ugly
League Bench Warmer

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy