Zone footy - Country Championships July 9/10

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Zone footy - Country Championships July 9/10

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Zone footy will be upon us in a little over four weeks. Southern Zone is the Evil Empire of this series and rarely get beaten although they were knocked out by Central Zone in 2006. Southern have won it since I think. So in Port Pirie next month that pair plus Northern Zone, Eastern, Eyre Peninsula and Murray South East will tee off again.
I'd be interested to hear what people think of this series and especially the make-up of the Zones. I think its pretty poor planning to include so many suburban or near suburban clubs in Southern Zone. They are laughingly referred to as South Adelaide Reserves during these carnivals - and I've been to plenty.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Re: Zone footy - Country Championships July 9/10

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:Zone footy will be upon us in a little over four weeks. Southern Zone is the Evil Empire of this series and rarely get beaten although they were knocked out by Central Zone in 2006. Southern have won it since I think. So in Port Pirie next month that pair plus Northern Zone, Eastern, Eyre Peninsula and Murray South East will tee off again.
I'd be interested to hear what people think of this series and especially the make-up of the Zones. I think its pretty poor planning to include so many suburban or near suburban clubs in Southern Zone. They are laughingly referred to as South Adelaide Reserves during these carnivals - and I've been to plenty.

Agree 100%. Starts from Marion I believe. Ridiculous.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:Zone footy will be upon us in a little over four weeks. Southern Zone is the Evil Empire of this series and rarely get beaten although they were knocked out by Central Zone in 2006. Southern have won it since I think. So in Port Pirie next month that pair plus Northern Zone, Eastern, Eyre Peninsula and Murray South East will tee off again.

Eastern Zone (Murray Mallee Barrier) won it a few years ago.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:

Eastern Zone (Murray Mallee Barrier) won it a few years ago.

I just looked up Southern and in 2009 in Port Pirie it was their seventh win in 12 starts
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby OnSong » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Eastern Zone won 2008.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

some SANFL dudes online must have all this listed and perhaps one of them could post it for us.
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Bum Crack wrote:

Agree 100%. Starts from Marion I believe. Ridiculous.

Four clubs are down on the plan. Morphetville Park, Edwardstown, Marion and Brighton.

Five years ago, Aldigna would have been considered the only Country Club. 15 years ago there were about 8 country clubs, but these have all left except Aldinga which is now a suburb.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Darth Vader » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Surely this is a country series - why involve any club in suburbia? How do the real amateurs in the actual bush compete with teams that play a higher standard in non-rural leagues?
Caution! You are now entering the no-spin zone...
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy