Association Game related suspension

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Association Game related suspension

Postby Goldberg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:07 pm

I was just reading the Adelaide plains thread & noticed there were a few suspension for not making themselves available for association duties & 1 bloke even went to a training apparently:roll:
I understand that many leagues have this written in as a bi-law but:

Point 1: Could someone tell me if there is actually any legal grounding to this, as if a player is an employee of a club, surely that club has more to say then the league. I am very confident that if a club was to contest this on a players behalf, they would win comprehensively.
Point 2: I would have thought any player would have a legal right to say no! Sport is a voluntary act isn't it? (This is for the local players playing for the love)
Point 3: Its fairly common that a doctors certificate is required, so if I am correct in saying they have no LEGAL right to do what they have been doing, could the Players ask the league to pay for said appointments?

I think leagues have got to pull their heads in about association football! Yes its a great thing, and lads who want to be involved should go for it, but with the amount of money spent by clubs these days in the pursuit of a premiership, & the players themselves not wanting to risk their wage or impending wages on a game that may or may not mean anything to them, then who really has the right to make them do so?
As has been mentioned on many different threads across the forum, what have guys like, & I'll use Clive Waterhouse as an example (No 1 AFL draft, & Megary Medalist) got to prove or even gain out of such games.
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Association Game related suspension

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:19 pm

It's what has killed off "State of origin". Players don't mind playing to line their pockets but when there's no financial gain pride goes out the window.
It's the way of the world, you can't ridicule someone for protecting their livelihood, suffering a serious injury in a representative match would be a fair kick in the nuts to someone getting $500 per week any other week.
Players appreciate a week off here and there to get over some niggles, pride and honour has taken a back seat in today's society, you can't really blame them.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:54 pm

When a club affiliates with a league they are agreeing to the conditions of the league. If that includes making the club's players available for rep footy then that is what they have to do. When a player signs the standard playing contract he signs up to playing by the rules of the club and league. Therefore the league has every right to suspend players if that is what is in their rules.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Personally, I think it is a disgrace that players do not make themselve's available for interleague selection. Well done to Adelaide Plains for enforcing the suspensions. It's a pity that the other leagues don't have enough balls to do the same. I get peeved moreso with my league, because we are playing KNTFL who we would defeat no probs if we had our full strength team playing and it makes the RFL look quite ordinary when in fact it is a very strong league. Having said that, the guys that do put their hands up need a big pat on the back. It also pisses me off that these blokes who are unavailable for interleague footy are all of a sudden available for selection for the country champs
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby OnSong » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:When a club affiliates with a league they are agreeing to the conditions of the league. If that includes making the club's players available for rep footy then that is what they have to do. When a player signs the standard playing contract he signs up to playing by the rules of the club and league. Therefore the league has every right to suspend players if that is what is in their rules.

Yep, I think it says it on the community football league contract from memory.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby slug » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:39 pm

maybe the answer could be only players that have played jnr footy for that league can play these games,then the clubs that have done all the work raising money and attracting paid players won't be at risk of loosing them in these games,i'm pretty sure most local players probably about 99% of locals would love to play rep footy just like their dad did,but don't get a ticket because of a few blokes that mostly have only played 5-6 games get in,but anyway just an idea!I get a bit annoyed about league highrarkie sprooking how good they are when the clubs are busting their guts to pay these gun players,anyway just an idea again!!
slug
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hornridge

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:49 pm

slug wrote:maybe the answer could be only players that have played jnr footy for that league can play these games,then the clubs that have done all the work raising money and attracting paid players won't be at risk of loosing them in these games,i'm pretty sure most local players probably about 99% of locals would love to play rep footy just like their dad did,but don't get a ticket because of a few blokes that mostly have only played 5-6 games get in,but anyway just an idea!I get a bit annoyed about league highrarkie sprooking how good they are when the clubs are busting their guts to pay these gun players,anyway just an idea again!!

Are these the same clubs that agree to the rules of the league but only when it suits them? The same clubs that ignored rules about salary caps so another system had to be brought in? Do these clubs help form and agree to the rules of the leagues? I'm playing a bit of devils advocate here, someone has to...
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Free Kick For » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Bum Crack wrote:Personally, I think it is a disgrace that players do not make themselve's available for interleague selection. Well done to Adelaide Plains for enforcing the suspensions. It's a pity that the other leagues don't have enough balls to do the same. I get peeved moreso with my league, because we are playing KNTFL who we would defeat no probs if we had our full strength team playing and it makes the RFL look quite ordinary when in fact it is a very strong league. Having said that, the guys that do put their hands up need a big pat on the back. It also pisses me off that these blokes who are unavailable for interleague footy are all of a sudden available for selection for the country champs

I don't think your league would defeat the KNTFL no problems if you had a full strenghth side, i think you will find the KNTFL had a number of quality outs aswel and I guess this shows the depth of each respective league.
Free Kick For

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Free Kick For wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Personally, I think it is a disgrace that players do not make themselve's available for interleague selection. Well done to Adelaide Plains for enforcing the suspensions. It's a pity that the other leagues don't have enough balls to do the same. I get peeved moreso with my league, because we are playing KNTFL who we would defeat no probs if we had our full strength team playing and it makes the RFL look quite ordinary when in fact it is a very strong league. Having said that, the guys that do put their hands up need a big pat on the back. It also pisses me off that these blokes who are unavailable for interleague footy are all of a sudden available for selection for the country champs

I don't think your league would defeat the KNTFL no problems if you had a full strenghth side, i think you will find the KNTFL had a number of quality outs aswel and I guess this shows the depth of each respective league.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby stun72 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Free Kick For wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree.

FWIW - I agree with Free Kick For.
stun72
Under 16s

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Amateur Footy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:36 pm

slug wrote:maybe the answer could be only players that have played jnr footy for that league can play these games,then the clubs that have done all the work raising money and attracting paid players won't be at risk of loosing them in these games,i'm pretty sure most local players probably about 99% of locals would love to play rep footy just like their dad did,but don't get a ticket because of a few blokes that mostly have only played 5-6 games get in,but anyway just an idea!I get a bit annoyed about league highrarkie sprooking how good they are when the clubs are busting their guts to pay these gun players,anyway just an idea again!!

I agree. Assoc games should be played by players who have played atleast a game of junior footy in your league. This is a better representation of the underlying depth in your league rather than the $$$ being spent to prop it up. Atleast you would get much better commitment from the players too.
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

But does that make it tougher for the imports to make the zone teams for the carnival?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy