SA Country Championships - Port Pire July 9/10

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: SA Country Championships - Port Pire July 9/10

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Why would they move it from Berri?? It's the best oval in coutry SA :)

Berri is a great location and you are right - the oval and facilities are pretty good. It doesn't seem to attract good crowds though so would that be BC?

I don't think you are going to attract great crowds wherever it is played. Mind you, I always go with my slab of beer and bottle of rum and make a day of it. I love watching my country footy. Most people involved in footy take advantage of the week off and are quite happy to get away from footy altogether for the weekend.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby jack sparow » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:42 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Why would they move it from Berri?? It's the best oval in coutry SA :)

Berri is a great location and you are right - the oval and facilities are pretty good. It doesn't seem to attract good crowds though so would that be BC?

I don't think you are going to attract great crowds wherever it is played. Mind you, I always go with my slab of beer and bottle of rum and make a day of it. I love watching my country footy. Most people involved in footy take advantage of the week off and are quite happy to get away from footy altogether for the weekend.

The away changerooms are superb arent they :lol:
jack sparow

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:18 pm

jack sparow wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

The ones under the grandstand on the outer wing you mean? Yeah classic. I remember in '06 there was about 30 of us jammed into the change room when one of the blokes dropped his guts and it took about 10 minutes to empty the place and it was pissing down outside so everyone was just huddling around waiting for the air to clear. It was a classic moment in rep footy
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby LuvsFooty » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:21 pm

The crowds could be huge for such a concept but fact that many of the states 'best' players are not avaialble (as example I believe that only 1 of the states top 16 goal kickers played!) makes the weekend wasteful. Many leagues this year still ran as per usual, showing it little respect. A location like Murray Bridge would be ideal. Johnston Park is a decent surface, its a large regional town, easy access from Adelaide, accessible for South East and Riverland people people and its one of the closest regional centres to the SFL, HFL and GSFL which I would suggest have the largest poulation bases. Could bolster crowds and may encourage more participation. Admittadely would be a long way for the Western Zone.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:27 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:The crowds could be huge for such a concept but fact that many of the states 'best' players are not avaialble (as example I believe that only 1 of the states top 16 goal kickers played!) makes the weekend wasteful. Many leagues this year still ran as per usual, showing it little respect. A location like Murray Bridge would be ideal. Johnston Park is a decent surface, its a large regional town, easy access from Adelaide, accessible for South East and Riverland people people and its one of the closest regional centres to the SFL, HFL and GSFL which I would suggest have the largest poulation bases. Could bolster crowds and may encourage more participation. Admittadely would be a long way for the Western Zone.

Murray Bridge would be a good venue IMO. I read in the paper this morning that the CFB will put it out to tender afer Berri 2012 so maybe the Bridge shouls put in a bid. I also hear there's some agitation about to come from the BLGFL to host it.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby 7-Dog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:45 pm

What's wrong with Adelaide?
GF curtain raiser to a AFL/SANFL game.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
7-Dog
Reserves

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 pm

7-Dog wrote:What's wrong with Adelaide?

Oh I agree 100%. I've long advocated this but get shot down all the time because apparently it has been tried and failed in the past. But you look at netball, cricket, hockey, tennis and they all play their state country championships in Adelaide with success. I think there were issues with sanfl ovals not supporting it or wanting to charge outrageous fees or something? I dunno the facts other than it failed
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Ripdschitlaz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 pm

jack sparow wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

Whats wrong with them? Better than BMFC's oppositions rooms IMO.
Ripdschitlaz
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:04 pm

They're better than Barmera's home changerooms, let alone their away changerooms.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Ron Burgundy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm

They are both shit
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Poultry in Motion » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Agree. This would be worth another go.Could play on good grounds (SANFL?) and the final could be played on a sunday before a Crows or Power game. Plenty are taking the Mrs and kids to Adelaide to build up credits during the weekend off so youd get a few in the gates from leave passes, plus there are plenty of ex country people living in Adelaide that would love a fix of country footy at their doorstep.
Maybe Southern Zone could billet the "real" country players out and in exchange could provide an interchange steward for them! ;)
Poultry in Motion
Rookie

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:They are both ****

Ha! You can say that now that Renmark finally has decent rooms! :lol:
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby OnSong » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:They are both ****

Ha! You can say that now that Renmark finally has decent rooms! :lol:

If you like feeling like you're in a prison cell. High cement walls. Reminds me of Oz. :lol:
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Big Cox wrote:

Agree. This would be worth another go.Could play on good grounds (SANFL?) and the final could be played on a sunday before a Crows or Power game. Plenty are taking the Mrs and kids to Adelaide to build up credits during the weekend off so youd get a few in the gates from leave passes, plus there are plenty of ex country people living in Adelaide that would love a fix of country footy at their doorstep.
Maybe Southern Zone could billet the "real" country players out and in exchange could provide an interchange steward for them! ;)

BC I think you have hit the nail on the head. Now, I'm confident that the CFB is monitoring these threads and tomorrow they will convene an executive lunch at the Hyatt and by next week we will have the plan in place. This carnival should be played in Adelaide FFS
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
Big Cox wrote:

BC I think you have hit the nail on the head. Now, I'm confident that the CFB is monitoring these threads and tomorrow they will convene an executive lunch at the Hyatt and by next week we will have the plan in place. This carnival should be played in Adelaide FFS

Sorry to throw a spanner into the works but what Ovals would be available? SAAFL does not have a weekend off and most of the good Div 1 grounds have matches on them every week. Same with SANFL Grounds whilst the seniors might not be at home the u/18 are playing at home 9/10 times.

If the Carnival is moved to coincide with the netballers on the June long weekend that will upset Western (Eyre Peninsula) as they hold their major selection carnival, The Mortlock Shield on that weekend and have for donkeys.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:03 pm

heater31 wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:
Big Cox wrote:

Sorry to throw a spanner into the works but what Ovals would be available? SAAFL does not have a weekend off and most of the good Div 1 grounds have matches on them every week. Same with SANFL Grounds whilst the seniors might not be at home the u/18 are playing at home 9/10 times.

If the Carnival is moved to coincide with the netballers on the June long weekend that will upset Western (Eyre Peninsula) as they hold their major selection carnival, The Mortlock Shield on that weekend and have for donkeys.

Mate every sanfl ground has home and away games so you would slot this carnival into Glenelg or Woodville or Prospect or The Barton when nothing else is happening. Piece a p1ss I reckon
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Mate every sanfl ground has home and away games so you would slot this carnival into Glenelg or Woodville or Prospect or The Barton when nothing else is happening. Piece a p1ss I reckon

Yes when the SANFL seniors play away its the u/18 & 16's (when in season) play at home. The U/18's might play a max 4 games at the same venue on the same day as the seniors. So realistically its only Thebby that is available most weekends, which as the SAAFL keep on saying needs some major upgrade works.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Poultry in Motion » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:59 pm

heater31 wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Yes when the SANFL seniors play away its the u/18 & 16's (when in season) play at home. The U/18's might play a max 4 games at the same venue on the same day as the seniors. So realistically its only Thebby that is available most weekends, which as the SAAFL keep on saying needs some major upgrade works.[/quote

The CFL would surely have the ability to programme the Country Champs in. Plenty of possibilities.Cant see the Under 16/18 thing being a problem. The Under 16s are finished already arent they? .... and couldnt the Under 18's play prior to the Reserves as an away game that week..... Lets not forget one SANFL team has a bye most weeks!
Poultry in Motion
Rookie

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:32 am

This week's Football People column takes a look at Western's win in the SA Country Football Championships at Port Pirie last weekend.
It was the zone's first win since 1999 - well done lads.

http://www.countryfooty.com.au/FootballPeople.htm
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby overloaded » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Rumours cirtculating that Western Zone may give the Shield back
therealROSSCO wrote:Now listen to this loud and clear.....

I have not been approached to coach at the WFC this year, next year or any year. I have not approached the WFC to coach this year, next year or any year. This is an unconditional statement.
overloaded
2009 Punting Comp Winner

Been liked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy