Best ground in country footy...

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Best ground in country footy...

Postby false » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Callington is actually a pretty good ground. Terrible facilities though
Mt Pleasant was always the best ground IMO. Onkas good, Kersbrook ok, Maccy pretty good, Birdwood the most character ;)
false
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Hazbeen wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:Mallala is a standout for me. Great surface and facilities.

I played a trial there in 2005, and it was red dirt with a light covering of grass...played 6 quarters and left with about 60% less skin than I rocked up with :lol:

Sure you've got the right ground? Mallala is watered all year round and is like a bowling green for cricket as is Balaklava.

Dont agree with that hazbeen Balaklava gets patches of dirt throughout the season. Mallala stays lush all year round
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Hazbeen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:06 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:
HH3 wrote:

I played a trial there in 2005, and it was red dirt with a light covering of grass...played 6 quarters and left with about 60% less skin than I rocked up with :lol:

Sure you've got the right ground? Mallala is watered all year round and is like a bowling green for cricket as is Balaklava.

Dont agree with that hazbeen Balaklava gets patches of dirt throughout the season. Mallala stays lush all year round

That's right Two Wells complained about a sandy patch where a tap had been dug up and refused to sign the ground sign off report for the day until it was fixed which delayed the start of the senior matches, when we played down at your wonderfull ground your rep cracked a massive shit fit in the morning when we asked if there were any problems with your surface that you'd like to fix before we started.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:26 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:
That's right Two Wells complained about a sandy patch where a tap had been dug up and refused to sign the ground sign off report for the day until it was fixed which delayed the start of the senior matches, when we played down at your wonderfull ground your rep cracked a massive shit fit in the morning when we asked if there were any problems with your surface that you'd like to fix before we started.

And where did I say two wells was decent! You defended the oval quite fiercely then maybe you know its true. Putting your oval with Mallala is quite laughable. What are you on?
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Caramels wrote:

I think that's United FC colours based at Long Plains.

Yep thats the one...would be very close to Mallala. Dont mind me... :lol:
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:45 pm

HH3 wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:
HH3 wrote:

The teams yellow and black, and Ricky O'Laughlin played for them? It was in March in 40 degree heat.

That would have been us at long plains. I know our deck is firm but to say that in March there was only a light covering of grass I highly doubt. It is Santa Ana grass and looks its best at this time of year. I can never recall our oval being anything but well grassed.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby OnSong » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Looking forward to having a game of cricket there this weekend. I've never slid so far on a boundary before.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Hazbeen wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:
HH3 wrote:I played a trial there in 2005, and it was red dirt with a light covering of grass...played 6 quarters and left with about 60% less skin than I rocked up with :lol:

:shock: Thats terrible. I remember playing at Two Wells one day and they hadn't even covered the pitch properly. Nobody would cover it because its Councils job! :roll:
Hate to see how they would go trying to run a privately owned oval year in year out with no council assistance. ;)

FWIW Balaklava's oval would only just be behind Mallala's by a bees dick. Very lucky to play in a league with 3 exceptional decks in Mallala, Balaklava and Long Plains.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:55 pm

OnSong wrote:Looking forward to having a game of cricket there this weekend. I've never slid so far on a boundary before.

Bet you won't be sliding on the boundary Saturday in your new role with the gloves!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Hazbeen wrote:
HH3 wrote:

The Balak boys will enjoy having a kick at Berri at the end of the month. She will be in pristine condition.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby OnSong » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
OnSong wrote:Looking forward to having a game of cricket there this weekend. I've never slid so far on a boundary before.

Bet you won't be sliding on the boundary Saturday in your new role with the gloves!

Sadly. :(
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Mythical Creature wrote: :shock: Thats terrible. I remember playing at Two Wells one day and they hadn't even covered the pitch properly. Nobody would cover it because its Councils job! :roll:
Hate to see how they would go trying to run a privately owned oval year in year out with no council assistance. ;)

FWIW Balaklava's oval would only just be behind Mallala's by a bees dick. Very lucky to play in a league with 3 exceptional decks in Mallala, Balaklava and Long Plains.

Yeh that doesn't surprise me. :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Don't mind Bute but Willaston is a great venue for football. In the old RMFL, Coonalpyn had a very good oval - picturesque and good football atmosphere...
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby GWW » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Yeah I agree, Coonalpyn was good, always good atmosphere for finals too.

Mypolonga in RMFL was also another good one.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:56 am

Mythical Creature wrote:That would have been us at long plains. I know our deck is firm but to say that in March there was only a light covering of grass I highly doubt. It is Santa Ana grass and looks its best at this time of year. I can never recall our oval being anything but well grassed.

I'm obviously a fair bit older than you but I remember playing colts their in 1982 and there wasn't a blade of grass on the oval. In fact, there was a mouse plague and the oval had holes all over it and the odd mouse would come out during the game. However, 2 or 3 years later I played there, it was like an oasis in the desert, it was lush green grass.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:46 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:That would have been us at long plains. I know our deck is firm but to say that in March there was only a light covering of grass I highly doubt. It is Santa Ana grass and looks its best at this time of year. I can never recall our oval being anything but well grassed.

I'm obviously a fair bit older than you but I remember playing colts their in 1982 and there wasn't a blade of grass on the oval. In fact, there was a mouse plague and the oval had holes all over it and the odd mouse would come out during the game. However, 2 or 3 years later I played there, it was like an oasis in the desert, it was lush green grass.

I wasn't born then so I don't remember it. ;)
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby David Brent » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:49 am

Ruben Carter wrote:Don't mind Bute but Willaston is a great venue for football. In the old RMFL, Coonalpyn had a very good oval - picturesque and good football atmosphere...

Bute? The goal posts don't even line up there
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby country nomad » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:03 am

The ground hasn't had a game of footy on it for a very long time and I've never been involved in sport in that region but Watervale Oval in the Clare Valley has to be one of the most picturesque ovals in the country.
country nomad

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:09 am

countryfootyfan wrote:
carey wrote:Kadina, Lameroo, Berri and 1 in Pirie but cant remember which one it was :oops:

Kadina?? Is the worst ground in the state, is massive, zero atmosphere and terrible facilities! Yorketown is a very good oval

Agree about Yorketown. Kadina oval itself is pretty good, but agree about the atmosphere. Doesn't help with the netball courts being cut off like they are. Bute is all right.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:09 am

Mythical Creature wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:

I wasn't born then so I don't remember it. ;)

Wasn't 1982 a pretty severe drought?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy