Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Sunday Mail COUNTRY FOOTY coverage

Postby GWW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:10 pm

GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Re: Sunday Mail COUNTRY FOOTY coverage

Postby AD » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Pretty ordinary. Page 25 in one of the photo captions- Kangarroo Island? Disgraceful for such a large paper to be so sloppy. Very interesting "key recruit" for Borders in the KNTFL :lol: , and last season's bnf winner is named wrong (name rhymes with Parker, so at least they were close). Scanning the clearance page on Sporting Pulse does not equal good research.
AD
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Border Districts

Postby GWW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Wasn't a bad read, but I was a bit surprised that they listed Mt Compass as their "roughie" in GSFL, given they have lost a lot of quality players and are expected by a lot of people to finish down quite low.
GWW

Postby AD » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:38 pm

GWW wrote:Wasn't a bad read, but I was a bit surprised that they listed Mt Compass as their "roughie" in GSFL, given they have lost a lot of quality players and are expected by a lot of people to finish down quite low.

I guess the second part of your post is what makes them a roughie in the journo's eyes. Who knows? By the looks of it there wasn't a hell of a lot of research put into it (sorry to harp on it- I'm in the business myself and hate to see sloppy work).
AD
Rookie

Postby GWW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Yeah, but I think there needs to be justification for a "roughie" to emerge this year. If their list is going to be arguably considerably worse than the previous year, then there's not much chance they will be a roughie (and be a chance to climb significantly up the ladder). McLaren would probably have been a better option.
GWW

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:50 pm

It'd be hard work putting that thing together.
I reckon it's good work. The Mail's relying on tips from people who 'know' the competitions involved.
Not sloppy journalism, any aspect that's out is misinformed.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby AD » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:09 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:It'd be hard work putting that thing together.
I reckon it's good work. The Mail's relying on tips from people who 'know' the competitions involved.
Not sloppy journalism, any aspect that's out is misinformed.

It would be very time-consuming and difficult, I agree. Doing it for one league is hard enough, let alone doing it statewide.

But..

Checking names and spelling of places shouldn't be too hard though and is pretty much the twelth commandment as far as journalism is concerned. Anybody "in the know" wouldn't have spelt Nick Tarca as Nick Parker. Or put a certain bloke with familiar initials as a "key recruit".

All it takes really is perhaps a phone call to the respective sports editors of papers that cover those leagues and they can do the work. We're all doing previews at this stage of the year and most of us would be happy to help the Mail out. Would make the job easier. I never received a phone call, don't know if the news editor here did, either.
AD
Rookie

Postby grasshopper22 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 pm

A good read and really look forward to it coming out each yr!!!
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby GWW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:21 pm

I do wonder how much is contributed by the individual leagues/clubs, and how much is done by the Sunday Mail journos.
GWW

Postby AD » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Photos look like they are supplied, don't know about the rest.

I'm coming across as a bit nitpicky here, but I'm just surprised at a few mistakes by what is really supposed to be the one of the state's #1 newspapers.
AD
Rookie

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:39 pm

AD wrote:Photos look like they are supplied, don't know about the rest.

I'm coming across as a bit nitpicky here, but I'm just surprised at a few mistakes by what is really supposed to be the one of the state's #1 newspapers.

The photo they had for the Adelaide Plains is from 2 or 3 seasons ago :roll:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Poultry in Motion » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:01 pm

It's not a bad read though is it. Something most country players look forward to coming out this time of year. The feature
stories arent bad but most of us probably like to catch up with the Association ins and outs etc and there were a few blunders in these like one SGL team having last years ins and outs list and I find the predictions and roughies a bit hard to fathom at times like last years NEFL Premiers BBH being listed as roughies when their playing list is as strong if not stronger than last years. A few other factual blunders too but really isnt it about giving country footy a fair promo? It does this pretty well I think.
Poultry in Motion
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby AD » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:23 am

Big Cox wrote:It's not a bad read though is it. Something most country players look forward to coming out this time of year. The feature
stories arent bad but most of us probably like to catch up with the Association ins and outs etc and there were a few blunders in these like one SGL team having last years ins and outs list and I find the predictions and roughies a bit hard to fathom at times like last years NEFL Premiers BBH being listed as roughies when their playing list is as strong if not stronger than last years. A few other factual blunders too but really isnt it about giving country footy a fair promo? It does this pretty well I think.

I don't mind the feature articles, I actually think they are pretty good.

I think I'm just annoyed because a couple of those blunders were about my league/team.
AD
Rookie

Postby djd » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:38 am

Big Cox wrote:It's not a bad read though is it. Something most country players look forward to coming out this time of year. The feature

no cox the stories are bad, especially the ramblers story which is all we ever bloody hear about. the bit about you either love them or hate them rings very true!!
djd
Under 16s

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 am

GWW wrote:I do wonder how much is contributed by the individual leagues/clubs, and how much is done by the Sunday Mail journos.

As far as I know, the clubs/leagues are contacted and we all know how disorganised some officials can be regarding their knowledge of names etc. Try asking a coach how to spell the last name of his new recruit and quite often they've got no idea or only know his nickname.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 am

I was phoned up by Jai Bedinall in regards to United and this is the phone conversation.

Jai: Who won the B&F last year?
Me: Heath Pym
Jai: I see Burgoyne was the leading goal kicker, I can also see that you have no recruits cleared to you yet, is this correct?
Me: Yeah thats about right at the minute:
Jai: Thanks (then hung up).

Whilst I agree the liftout is generally good, and the articles are worth the read, based on my conversation, all the reasearch has basically been done via sportingpulse website, then cut and pasted into the liftout.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby grasshopper22 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 am

We noticed down here that alot of the Sunday mails delivered to the town, we're missing the country footy lift out, has anyone else had this problem?
grasshopper22
Reserves

Re: Re: Sunday Mail COUNTRY FOOTY coverage

Postby heater31 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:07 am

grasshopper22 wrote:We noticed down here that alot of the Sunday mails delivered to the town, we're missing the country footy lift out, has anyone else had this problem?

It's available as a pdf on their website. Certainly didn't appear in my metro edition
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:17 am

grasshopper22 wrote:We noticed down here that alot of the Sunday mails delivered to the town, we're missing the country footy lift out, has anyone else had this problem?

I thought the same but I found mine inside the Escape liftout. :?
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby grasshopper22 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:05 pm

I brought three papers before I got one with it in it, and yes it was inside the escape lift out also, so I don't know what happened with the ones that didn't have the liftout in it
grasshopper22
Reserves

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy