Far West Grand Final

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Far West Grand Final

Postby Brad » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:30 pm

Just got home from the Far West GF:

Arrived just after mid day a big crowd was present along with a big police presence, Koonibba the dominate team in all grades in 2006 had just won the colts by over 20 goals, no real surprise there. The B Grade was won by Koonibba by about 15 goals, again no surprise.

After the 2nd Semi where Koonibba beat Westies by about 25 goals no one gave them much hope to defeat the previously unbeaten Koonibba side, but Westies turned on the biggest upset for sometime to win 18 goals to 9. Westies looked like a team on a mission and lead 3 to 2 goals at quarter time, the second quarter was what won it for Westies as they kicked away for a half time lead of six goals, Koonibba weren't help with two players yellow carded and several 50 Metre penalties payed because of undisciplined play, probally two other incidents I saw which were missed by the umpires who were up against it.

The third quarter started with two goals to Westies who appeared to be right on top, a mellee then occured with two Koonibba players Yellow carded and I really thought Westies by how much, but this appeared to spark Koonibba into action who kicked 4 goals in 5 minutes and suddenly only trailed by 16 points, the crowd was buzzing. Westies managed to score a goal then another goal with a shot on the 3/4 time siren to lead by 30 points and those late goals were vital in breaking Koonibbas spirit.

The last quarter was all Westies as they kicked away for a great win, a few nasty incidents lead to a couple of mellees and a Koonibba player Red Carded. Well done to Westies who won their 4th straight flag, like last year they went in as under dogs, Koonibba would be pondering hard tonight about their only loss of the season.

Must also praise the umpires who had a very tough job but were good and managed to keep it under control for the majority of the match.
Brad
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby bluestheboy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:08 am

Would have put a dampener on Koonibba's 100 year celebrations. ..congrats to Todd Warmington who followed up his MM with a BOG in a premiership side.

Similar result to last years PLFL where Mallee Park dominated in the 25th year, only to fall at the last hurdle against the Demons.
bluestheboy
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Wayback

Postby dickiebird » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:20 pm

Great result, great report brad. sounds like they can be undiciplined at times. same here in Port Lincolon. Has cost them premierships in the past.
dickiebird
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Justquietly » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:06 pm

Does remind me of Lincoln last year. I read it with a huge smile on my face. Good stuff, Brad.
Justquietly
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:01 pm

Nice report Brad.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth