Regional/country newspapers sports coverage

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Postby Sky Pilot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Reading stuff on various threads here about the good and bad footy reporting - and general sports coverage - in some of our small country newspapers prompts me to ask posters for their opinions. What messages would yo send to editors and reporters who may read this stuff, and I'm sure many do.
For instance id like to be able to get the Bunyip every week because I think its sports coverage summer and winter is first class for a regional newspaper. The Producer is also pretty good but I can't get that either. I buy them both when I go through Port Wakefield or Dublin on the way to and from Adelaide.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Re: Regional/country newspapers sports coverage

Postby RooShootOhh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:17 am

Place their newspapers online for other country folk (or city people who have an interest in country sport).
Free access online, would be great for country sport!
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Old Blue New Tiger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Having spent time in the Hills and the Barossa , I have to agree on the Bunyip also the Courier ( Mt Barker ) is good reading for Sport. I always grab these papers if I am in the area.
I find the Victor Times to be an average coverage.
Old Blue New Tiger
Rookie

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Kersbrook

Postby OnSong » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:58 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:Reading stuff on various threads here about the good and bad footy reporting - and general sports coverage - in some of our small country newspapers prompts me to ask posters for their opinions. What messages would yo send to editors and reporters who may read this stuff, and I'm sure many do.
For instance id like to be able to get the Bunyip every week because I think its sports coverage summer and winter is first class for a regional newspaper. The Producer is also pretty good but I can't get that either. I buy them both when I go through Port Wakefield or Dublin on the way to and from Adelaide.

Subscribe. :lol:
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby OnSong » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:05 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:Place their newspapers online for other country folk (or city people who have an interest in country sport).

Most regionals are available to purchase and view online nowadays. If you can bare to part with $1.50 or so. :lol:
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby AD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:08 pm

OnSong wrote:
RooShootOhh wrote:Place their newspapers online for other country folk (or city people who have an interest in country sport).

Most regionals are available to purchase and view online nowadays. If you can bare to part with $1.50 or so. :lol:

Only a dollar a week for the Naracoorte Herald. Think of the value.
AD
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Border Districts

Postby Brad » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm a Northern Argus fan, great sports coverage.
Brad
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 pm

OnSong wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:Reading stuff on various threads here about the good and bad footy reporting - and general sports coverage - in some of our small country newspapers prompts me to ask posters for their opinions. What messages would yo send to editors and reporters who may read this stuff, and I'm sure many do.

Subscribe. :lol:

I just object to paying for something 12 months in advance. Subscriptions never work for me.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Brad wrote:I'm a Northern Argus fan, great sports coverage.

X2
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby From The Outer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Not a big fan of the reporting of the River Murray in the Standard twice a week. The chief reporter makes fun of players and coaches simply to sell papers. Very little substance in what is actually written. Actual match reports tend to be very descriptive. Not very interesting to read.
From The Outer
Under 16s

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby grasshopper22 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:30 am

From The Outer wrote:Not a big fan of the reporting of the River Murray in the Standard twice a week. The chief reporter makes fun of players and coaches simply to sell papers. Very little substance in what is actually written. Actual match reports tend to be very descriptive. Not very interesting to read.

Yep totally agree
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Bazza J » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 am

grasshopper22 wrote:
From The Outer wrote:Not a big fan of the reporting of the River Murray in the Standard twice a week. The chief reporter makes fun of players and coaches simply to sell papers. Very little substance in what is actually written. Actual match reports tend to be very descriptive. Not very interesting to read.

Yep totally agree

+1 NO substance
Bazza J
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Karoonda

Postby GWW » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm one who does like Dalwood's work in the Standard. Compare it to some other country newspaper previews which are barely worth reading. Previews with 3 or 4 sentences that dont really say a lot.

Sure he goes over the top, but I personally thinks he adds a bit of color to the RMFL.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby grasshopper22 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:32 pm

GWW wrote:I'm one who does like Dalwood's work in the Standard. Compare it to some other country newspaper previews which are barely worth reading. Previews with 3 or 4 sentences that dont really say a lot.

Sure he goes over the top, but I personally thinks he adds a bit of color to the RMFL.

It does add abit of colour and humour but at other peoples expense, but as posted above not alot of substance to it.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Riverland Weekly do a good preview each week and the paper is free. See attached link.

http://www.riverlandweekly.com.au/blog/ ... xperts-10/
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby fman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Cannot beleive Dalwood still has that job,poor reports,biased and non factual comments have always been part of his footy reporting.Has told many lies in both his job as secretary of the league and football writer,an absolute tosser.
fman
Mini-League

Postby saintal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Is Dalwood the bloke who used to be on 5mu's saturday morning footy show?

The new format this year is a bit of a bore.

The Courier's HFL coverage is generally very good. Much more comprehensive than their cricket coverage anyway.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby grasshopper22 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 pm

saintal wrote:Is Dalwood the bloke who used to be on 5mu's saturday morning footy show?

The new format this year is a bit of a bore.

The Courier's HFL coverage is generally very good. Much more comprehensive than their cricket coverage anyway.

Yes that's Dalwood, I used to enjoy listening to Dalwood on a Saturday morning, don't listen to the new format.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:17 pm

I reckon the Courier's cricket coverage is pretty good considering the number of leagues they're expected to report on.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Sky Pilot » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:00 pm

My pet hate in country newspapers is the level of slackness most if not all editors take into tidying up the sports columns. Getting those awful reports written by a network of club/sport officials for free is an absolute bonus. The least the editors could do would be to correct the dreadful grammar eg "the players that teed off first..." or "Congratulations must go to Beeswax Bailey for winning..." who but the 32 members of that club would know who old Beeswax is?
Another classic "the 15 year old teenager has a great future ahead of her..." Duhhh. Two tautologies in one sentence.
One regular correspondent makes up words that slide by the editor. Proudness instead of pride is an example. The same guy also writes classy lines like "they all done a great job..."
The bowls writer for the same publication called himself a journo within weeks of submitting his first report despite the fact he is a spare parts salesman. He also raves on about how people stop him in the street or at bowls clubs to tell him how much they enjoy reading his column. Carp if you ask me.
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy