Regional/country newspapers sports coverage

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Regional/country newspapers sports coverage

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:10 pm

OnSong wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:
OnSong wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:The Bunyip is a good paper as is the Producer, Barossa Herald and the big YP Country Times. Everyone who is either on the payroll or is a contributor to these fine publications does their best to put out quality stuff. If it goes awry on occasions it is not by design so people should just settle down a bit.
I do agree 100% that the value of the 500-word blow by blow description of a footy or cricket match is zero. But it is not the fault of the contributor, he/she needs guidance from editorial staff but this rarely occurs in my experience.

Couldn't sleep mate? :shock:

Woke up at 4.30 and couldn't go back to sleep so got up and went feral on the iPad until the first couple coffees kicked in

Fair enough! I disagree with the blow by blow thoughts by the way. Done correctly, that style is fine with me.
I do our reports based on conversations with the coaches but even that is flawed in a sense if you didn't see the game.

Your reports are first class. But most of the amateur stuff is a bore. A kicked to the hotspot where B took a screamer and put it on his boot. C crumbed it in the square and gaoled. From the bounce, A handballed to B who found C on his own. D got a free, kicked to A who found B but he was tackled and lost the ball.
Best players were A, B, C and D got the coaches vote.
Sound about right?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 pm

The Sunday Mail midnight or street edition this week will carry the annual lift out feature on country footy.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby an eagle for me » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:The Sunday Mail midnight or street edition this week will carry the annual lift out feature on country footy.

Looking forward to picking apart the numerous and glaring errors.

On local coverage, it seems our local paper has a sharing thing still going with http://www.countryfooty.com.au/KNTFL.htm

They've started doing the pre-season previews. I'm fairly sure because its from the naracoorte paper we wont see bordertown and the other tatiara teams but still gives a decent look at what goes on in the kntfl. Decent articles, knowing who the journo is I think he can be a bit biased towards the club he plays for (not that it worries me) but its obvious he loves his footy and knows a bit.
an eagle for me

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 pm

an eagle for me wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:The Sunday Mail midnight or street edition this week will carry the annual lift out feature on country footy.

Looking forward to picking apart the numerous and glaring errors.

On local coverage, it seems our local paper has a sharing thing still going with http://www.countryfooty.com.au/KNTFL.htm

They've started doing the pre-season previews. I'm fairly sure because its from the naracoorte paper we wont see bordertown and the other tatiara teams but still gives a decent look at what goes on in the kntfl. Decent articles, knowing who the journo is I think he can be a bit biased towards the club he plays for (not that it worries me) but its obvious he loves his footy and knows a bit.

That is an excellent article in your local Herald.
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 pm

I'm pissed off. The final edition has nothing but a link to the adelaidenow website. I went to the site, and couldn't find the bloody thing anywhere.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby On The Pine » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Failed Creation wrote:

I'm pissed off. The final edition has nothing but a link to the adelaidenow website. I went to the site, and couldn't find the bloody thing anywhere.

http://www2.advertiser.com.au/CountryFootballGuide2013/
On The Pine
Rookie

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Failed Creation » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:43 pm

On The Pine wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

Cheers, OTP. Much appreciated.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby BOM » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12 pm

On The Pine wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

Not sure why they bother putting this out if they aren't going to do any research! What a joke!
BOM
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blanchetown-Swan Reach

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:16 pm

BOM wrote:
On The Pine wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:

Not sure why they bother putting this out if they aren't going to do any research! What a joke!

Adelaide Plains, BLG and one other league only had the 2011 info :roll:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby BOM » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm

http://www2.advertiser.com.au/CountryFootballGuide2013/[/quote]

Not sure why they bother putting this out if they aren't going to do any research! What a joke![/quote]

Adelaide Plains, BLG and one other league only had the 2011 info :roll:[/quote]

Yep noticed that with the BLG, in the Riverland Independents for BSR they had the old bulldogs logo- we have been the Redbacks since the Mid Murray folded! Also had BSR defeating Paringa, it was actually Ramco!
Didn't bother reading anymore after BLG and Independents!
BOM
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blanchetown-Swan Reach

Postby OnSong » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 am

Think Hills Central was also 2011.

I enjoyed the articles again, mainly the ones about country people at country clubs, such as the Eyre United lads, the Cally merger etc.

I don't care about Michael Doughty going to the Wineflies, as I'd hardly call Reynella country anyway.

All in all, I think they bite off more than they can chew each year and it proved to be so again.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby an eagle for me » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 am

Would be a noel idea in a perfect world for the mail to approach the country newspapers and get them to submit the info from the leagues they cover. But that's in a perfect world, in this world the bulk of country newspapers are either owned by fairfax or are independent, and not limited news like the mail.
an eagle for me

Postby OnSong » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 pm

an eagle for me wrote:Would be a noel idea in a perfect world for the mail to approach the country newspapers and get them to submit the info from the leagues they cover. But that's in a perfect world, in this world the bulk of country newspapers are either owned by fairfax or are independent, and not limited news like the mail.

And they'd tell them to get fcked.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby an eagle for me » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:30 pm

OnSong wrote:
an eagle for me wrote:Would be a noel idea in a perfect world for the mail to approach the country newspapers and get them to submit the info from the leagues they cover. But that's in a perfect world, in this world the bulk of country newspapers are either owned by fairfax or are independent, and not limited news like the mail.

And they'd tell them to get fcked.

Which is what I was getting at.
an eagle for me

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy