Regional/country newspapers sports coverage

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Regional/country newspapers sports coverage

Postby AD » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:The Herald?
Mmmm, there would be 400 mastheads in Australia with the word "HERALD" in them, so which one mate?

Naracoorte, of course. The only herald covering KNTFL news that I am aware of ;)
AD
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Border Districts

Postby AD » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:56 am

Well turns out the club in question didn't know Aker was coaching, something I thought would be a detail they'd be across.

The day after deciding at a committee meeting they'd formally make an offer to Aker (he appeared at a sportman's night and told them he'd play a one-off game in 2013, they find out he's coaching and won't be able to play.

Score one for the Kybybolite Football Club's brains trust.
AD
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Border Districts

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 am

Another blow to coverage of local country sport was struck today with WIN axing its South East and Riverland news services.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby OnSong » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Another blow to coverage of local country sport was struck today with WIN axing its South East and Riverland news services.

Coming for a while?
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Regionally produced media seems to be dying.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby RooShootOhh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Not surprising given some country papers seem to make up stories with little to no truth in them, as per major paper in the north a week or so ago!
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby OnSong » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:24 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:Not surprising given some country papers seem to make up stories with little to no truth in them, as per major paper in the north a week or so ago!

Go on..... :shock:
OnSong
Coach

Postby RooShootOhh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Big article in a sports section about a footy club signing a BIG recruit...
To my knowledge the club in question had never even spoken to him let alone tried to recruit him

Something a simple call or two would have fixed.
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:31 pm

If you're talking about the story I think you are, a simple call was made, several in fact, to a senior club official who provided and clarified the information. Sadly the journalist was burnt by the source. It's disappointing when things are wrong but journos can only work with the information that is provided as fact to them by those who should know but apparently don't.
You can be assured those involved are just as pissed off and embarassed by the situation as the footy club involved.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby OnSong » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:32 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:Big article in a sports section about a footy club signing a BIG recruit...
To my knowledge the club in question had never even spoken to him let alone tried to recruit him

You're talking about the Dodman signing I assume?
OnSong
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Yes, he is. When a senior club official tells you something about the goings on at their club, you tend to believe them. Sadly, they made a mistake.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:45 pm

OnSong wrote:
RooShootOhh wrote:Big article in a sports section about a footy club signing a BIG recruit...

You're talking about the Dodman signing I assume?

Jordan Dodman? From Flinders Park to where?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Nowhere.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby roodog » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 am

I believe what followers want is an analysis of the game - WHY their team won or lost. WHAT changed the game. What did the COACH say? Was there any CONTROVERSY? They don't want a blow by blow description, cos they've already either watched the match or they're going to be bored witless by a narrative.
As far as papers go, the Gawler Bunyip has great footy coverage (although the write ups have got too small) and the layout is appealing. Throw in some colour photos and it's probably the closest thing to what you'd get in a metro paper. The match reports may not necessarily fit my above criteria (and I'll declare an interest here) but with a bit of goss and side news the all over sport coverage is still the best.
"That which does not defeat you can only make you stronger"
roodog
Under 16s

Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:44 am

roodog wrote:I believe what followers want is an analysis of the game - WHY their team won or lost. WHAT changed the game. What did the COACH say? Was there any CONTROVERSY? They don't want a blow by blow description, cos they've already either watched the match or they're going to be bored witless by a narrative.
As far as papers go, the Gawler Bunyip has great footy coverage (although the write ups have got too small) and the layout is appealing. Throw in some colour photos and it's probably the closest thing to what you'd get in a metro paper. The match reports may not necessarily fit my above criteria (and I'll declare an interest here) but with a bit of goss and side news the all over sport coverage is still the best.

After being away from watching the BL&GFA for a few years, I still read it weekly during footy season. It's a class act.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:43 am

The Bunyip is a good paper as is the Producer, Barossa Herald and the big YP Country Times. Everyone who is either on the payroll or is a contributor to these fine publications does their best to put out quality stuff. If it goes awry on occasions it is not by design so people should just settle down a bit.
I do agree 100% that the value of the 500-word blow by blow description of a footy or cricket match is zero. But it is not the fault of the contributor, he/she needs guidance from editorial staff but this rarely occurs in my experience.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:46 am

Sky Pilot wrote:The Bunyip is a good paper as is the Producer, Barossa Herald and the big YP Country Times. Everyone who is either on the payroll or is a contributor to these fine publications does their best to put out quality stuff. If it goes awry on occasions it is not by design so people should just settle down a bit.
I do agree 100% that the value of the 500-word blow by blow description of a footy or cricket match is zero. But it is not the fault of the contributor, he/she needs guidance from editorial staff but this rarely occurs in my experience.

Couldn't sleep mate? :shock:
OnSong
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 am

OnSong wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:The Bunyip is a good paper as is the Producer, Barossa Herald and the big YP Country Times. Everyone who is either on the payroll or is a contributor to these fine publications does their best to put out quality stuff. If it goes awry on occasions it is not by design so people should just settle down a bit.

Woke up at 4.30 and couldn't go back to sleep so got up and went feral on the iPad until the first couple coffees kicked in
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 am

Sky Pilot wrote:
OnSong wrote:

Woke up at 4.30 and couldn't go back to sleep so got up and went feral on the iPad until the first couple coffees kicked in

Fair enough! I disagree with the blow by blow thoughts by the way. Done correctly, that style is fine with me.
I do our reports based on conversations with the coaches but even that is flawed in a sense if you didn't see the game.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Yes, he is. When a senior club official tells you something about the goings on at their club, you tend to believe them. Sadly, they made a mistake.

Rucci would have run with less than that
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy