APPS amendments for SAAFL Res players & country clubs

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

APPS amendments for SAAFL Res players & country clubs

Postby Caramels » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:12 am

APPS amendment noted on the SAAFL website in October newsletter

SAAFL Div 1,2 & 3 RESERVES players now incur 2 points if moving to another league effective immediately.
Caramels
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: APPS amendments for SAAFL Res players & country clubs

Postby LuvsFooty » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Very late notice, considering that most clubs start organizing as soon as the season is completed. Where do contracted players signed prior to notification stand? When is the official notification getting sent to country league? What is the official date the rule commenced?
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby dogsrbarkin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:11 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:Very late notice, considering that most clubs start organizing as soon as the season is completed. Where do contracted players signed prior to notification stand? When is the official notification getting sent to country league? What is the official date the rule commenced?

Looks like Goolwa have indulged in some of these :shock:
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Osama » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Not sure I like this change, it will attract some clubs to recruit and pay some average players instead of paying the genuine stars.
Been to the top of the mountain - 1908, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1920, 1925, 1926, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1945, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1986, 2003, 2013
Osama
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby The Big Shrek » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Osama wrote:Not sure I like this change, it will attract some clubs to recruit and pay some average players instead of paying the genuine stars.

How will it do that? Should do the opposite. Means country clubs can't stock up on fringe A graders from the city for zero points. A Barossa example of how this may have worked is someone like Polkinghorne who won the div1R medal at Gepps before going to Barossa Districts. Would be zero points before this rule came in.

I think it's a silly rule though. It means B graders who may change clubs for genuine reasons are going to have the additional problem of being worth points if they make it into the As at their new club.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:08 am

No issues with this system. Obviously clubs have taken advantage of this to benefit their ranks otherwise this wouldnt have been introduced.... Only argument I have is how can a div 1 Mafiosi player be worth less than a div 7 a grader?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:42 am

The Big Shrek wrote:
Osama wrote:Not sure I like this change, it will attract some clubs to recruit and pay some average players instead of paying the genuine stars.

How will it do that? Should do the opposite. Means country clubs can't stock up on fringe A graders from the city for zero points. A Barossa example of how this may have worked is someone like Polkinghorne who won the div1R medal at Gepps before going to Barossa Districts. Would be zero points before this rule came in.

I think it's a silly rule though. It means B graders who may change clubs for genuine reasons are going to have the additional problem of being worth points if they make it into the As at their new club.

Except he started his footy at Barossa and played all his junior footy there.

Why isn't a BL&G reserves player worth 2 points then if he wants to go to SAAFL. You can't be ******* serious that a div 3 reserves player is any good at all and a country club wouldnt recruit someone of that standard but someone like that i dare say would have his work as his 1st priority and if he happened to move to the country would be restricted to reserves
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:42 am

The Big Shrek wrote:

Why isn't a BL&G reserves player worth 2 points then if he wants to go to SAAFL. You can't be ******* serious that a div 3 reserves player is any good at all and a country club wouldnt recruit someone of that standard but someone like that i dare say would have his work as his 1st priority and if he happened to move to the country would be restricted to reserves
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Caramels » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:20 am

daysofourlives wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:

Why isn't a BL&G reserves player worth 2 points then if he wants to go to SAAFL.
You can't be ******* serious that a div 3 reserves player is any good at all and a country club wouldnt recruit someone of that standard but someone like that i dare say would have his work as his 1st priority and if he happened to move to the country would be restricted to reserves

It's probably now up to individual leagues to either follow suit or others to just complain about it.
Might stop the pillaging of some clubs of their fringe A graders and make clubs more selective on who they recruit rather than grabbing Little Johnny and his 3 or 4 mates to come with him.
Caramels
Under 16s

Postby field of dreams » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:05 am

LuvsFooty wrote:Very late notice, considering that most clubs start organizing as soon as the season is completed. Where do contracted players signed prior to notification stand? When is the official notification getting sent to country league? What is the official date the rule commenced?

Very good questions. I agree with the change BUT how about letting people know!!

There was a memo from the SACFL listing the APPS changes recommended to the SA Footy commission dated 25 September. No mention of the addition of the Div 1,2 and 3 reserves to the Category 2 list!!

I'm sure common sense will prevail and clubs that have signed players prior to being notified will be granted relief.....surely!
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Freo HeaveHo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Absolutely stupid rule ... Not to say all players are in the same boat but there would be players in Div 3 reserves that couldnt get a kick in a street fight let alone be 2 point players in some of the strong country leagues
Freo HeaveHo
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:45 pm

dogsrbarkin wrote:

Looks like Goolwa have indulged in some of these :shock:

Not this year. Won't have a huge affect on country clubs. You just now won't recruit these guys considering they are 2 points.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby Yank Man » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Freo HeaveHo wrote:Absolutely stupid rule ... Not to say all players are in the same boat but there would be players in Div 3 reserves that couldnt get a kick in a street fight let alone be 2 point players in some of the strong country leagues

Agree Freo HeaveHo, it will change the way clubs recruit but more importantly may come back to bite SAAFL on the bum if other leagues do the same.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Freo HeaveHo wrote:Absolutely stupid rule ... Not to say all players are in the same boat but there would be players in Div 3 reserves that couldnt get a kick in a street fight let alone be 2 point players in some of the strong country leagues

You could argue the same for some Cat 2 leagues too
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:48 pm

It might help if some to the posters on this forum actually read the APPS it comes across that many do not know it's contents or the rules.

It was a hastily put together document full of holes and not well thought out.

Each league has it's own problems and unique situations and one fix does not suit all!!!!

Problems in the Hills league are different to those of the YPFL, GSFL & the SAAFL.

All the SAAFL is doing is getting a system that works for their league not the sh%t sandwich they were handed by the SACFL. Join or else was the ultimatium. With in weeks that many errors were found that the league and clubs are now addressing those issues for a better and fairer system.

D1res - D3 Res players now being worth pts is one of those. The only people to blame are the country clubs who throw huge amounts of money to fringe A Grade players. We are talking $400+ to unproven players

It has happened at our club and a country club selectively raided SHOC's fringe A grade & B Grade players at the end of 2011 who were worth 0 pts to the tune of 15 players.

It was done to stop the player drain.

All I am saying is that the system will work but not if it is flawed. It was brought in because no body could control the salary cap but it has only made it worse by bringing payments out into the open with now no ceiling
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:30 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:It might help if some to the posters on this forum actually read the APPS it comes across that many do not know it's contents or the rules.

Each league has it's own problems and unique situations and one fix does not suit all!!!!

Problems in the Hills league are different to those of the YPFL, GSFL & the SAAFL.

All the SAAFL is doing is getting a system that works for their league not the sh%t sandwich they were handed by the SACFL. Join or else was the ultimatium. With in weeks that many errors were found that the league and clubs are now addressing those issues for a better and fairer system.

D1res - D3 Res players now being worth pts is one of those. The only people to blame are the country clubs who throw huge amounts of money to fringe A Grade players. We are talking $400+ to unproven players

It has happened at our club and a country club selectively raided SHOC's fringe A grade & B Grade players at the end of 2011 who were worth 0 pts to the tune of 15 players.

All I am saying is that the system will work but not if it is flawed. It was brought in because no body could control the salary cap but it has only made it worse by bringing payments out into the open with now no ceiling

Well i hope all category 1 leagues that are equivalent to the SAAFL now band together and seek a 2 point rating for their reserves players. It will effect the SAAFL far more than the country associations.
It's a knee jerk reaction from the SAAFL who think they are way above every other comp in the state.
I think it would have sorted itself out eventually as the country clubs are now realising these guys are not up to it.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:41 am

daysofourlives wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:It might help if some to the posters on this forum actually read the APPS it comes across that many do not know it's contents or the rules.

Well i hope all category 1 leagues that are equivalent to the SAAFL now band together and seek a 2 point rating for their reserves players. It will effect the SAAFL far more than the country associations.
It's a knee jerk reaction from the SAAFL who think they are way above every other comp in the state.
I think it would have sorted itself out eventually as the country clubs are now realising these guys are not up to it.

If the Leagues want to do it then go for it as not too many B Grade Country Footballers would play A Grade Football in the SAAFL
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Executive Member wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

If the Leagues want to do it then go for it as not too many B Grade Country Footballers would play A Grade Football in the SAAFL

Plenty of B grade country footballers would play A grade in the SAAFL.
Your statement is just another example of how the SAAFL thinks it's the bees knees of football comps outside of the SANFL
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Maybe all those years of country clubs raping the SAAFL and paying ridiculous amounts in player payments has finally come home to roost.

The Country leagues have brought this on themselves.

It won't bite the SAAFL clubs in the backside. Trust me on this one.

Our league has some very progressive people running both the clubs & league and they will always seek out and get the best deal for our competition
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:02 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Maybe all those years of country clubs raping the SAAFL and paying ridiculous amounts in player payments has finally come home to roost.

The Country leagues have brought this on themselves.

It won't bite the SAAFL clubs in the backside. Trust me on this one.

Our league has some very progressive people running both the clubs & league and they will always seek out and get the best deal for our competition

It will bite the SAAFL clubs. The country leagues will now just focus on taking the very best players from Div 1 which won't be too hard as they are far better run organisations than any of the SAAFL clubs hence the reason why country leagues have more money to spend than SAAFL clubs.
Have it on good authority some closer country leagues are not happy with this and will also seek to have their reserves competitions allocated 2 points. It won't effect the top divisions but it will effect the lower divisions
daysofourlives
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy