Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby goddy11 » Mon May 29, 2023 8:25 pm

I didn't see John Butchers name on the Pongy team seat. Did he play?
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby jackpot jim » Mon May 29, 2023 11:32 pm

goddy11 wrote:I didn't see John Butchers name on the Pongy team seat. Did he play?

Nope

Played for Maffra FC again back in the Gippsland League :? :? :?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon May 29, 2023 11:34 pm

Butcher was back playing for Maffra in Gippsland Victoria. They had a Bye the week he played for Myponga. I think he’s still mainly based in Adelaide but he’s originally from Maffra and his brother Daniel plays for them. Wasn’t showing as being on a Permit for Myponga so must have got a transfer in and then a transfer back to Maffra. If the Gippsland league is OK with that then nothing to say it can’t be done. GSFL may not have allowed a Permit but if it’s before 30 June then nothing to stop a transfer even if he transfers out a week later.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Cheap Seats » Tue May 30, 2023 11:18 am

Down the Hill wrote:Butcher was back playing for Maffra in Gippsland Victoria. They had a Bye the week he played for Myponga. I think he’s still mainly based in Adelaide but he’s originally from Maffra and his brother Daniel plays for them. Wasn’t showing as being on a Permit for Myponga so must have got a transfer in and then a transfer back to Maffra. If the Gippsland league is OK with that then nothing to say it can’t be done. GSFL may not have allowed a Permit but if it’s before 30 June then nothing to stop a transfer even if he transfers out a week later.

He is Myponga's player is my understanding of the situation, but will continue to play for Maffra on a permit basis, because if the situation was reversed it may have not been allowed or the qualification for finals would not be possible. Maffra aren't very strong, and unlikely to play finals I believe and finals aren't a concern, so Myponga will likely get him to play just enough to qualify. Not sure this is/was the intent of why the permit system was introduced? Once again Myponga seem to be doing things on the edge, and the CFB don't or wont step in, which set dangerous precedents.
Based on the 2 suspect actions spoken about on the forum, clubs could organise with a sister club from interstate to have a player swap type scenario, have them signed to the SA club, with no real intention of playing the majority of games with them, especially those interstate club's that are likely to be not competing for finals, pay what they like to get players here (as long as there is "No personal benefit") and there's NOTHING TO SEE HERE?
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby mutton cove » Tue May 30, 2023 7:57 pm

Won't commit until the off shore account is set up.
mutton cove
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby banterfordays » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:44 pm

mutton cove wrote:Won't commit until the off shore account is set up.

Maybe theyre waiting until quarter time to have it all sorted on the team sheet...
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:19 pm

8 rounds down and what can we make of the table atm?
McLaren on top undefeated tho no where near as dominant as last year and could say fortunate not to have lost a game or 2. They're the front runners for Minor Premiers with Myp/Sellicks the only challenger in my view.
Myp/Sell are 2nd and would be a shock if didn't finish top 3
Victor, Compass and Willunga make up the 5 and seemingly one of these 3 will take the double chance

Creek in 6th (could easily have been equal 2nd bar for a last minute goal here and there). Probably have a better squad than last year when finishing 4th but hard to see them making finals from here considering the significant injuries they've been copping to key players. Coach Perrey the latest casualty.
Strath 7th arn't out of it completely but need to knock the dangerous Bays off next round and then start taking some big scalps in the 2nd half of the season to be any chance of seeing finals action.

Round 8
McLaren notched win 28 on the trot by blowing the Bays off the park in the 1st term. Thereafter it was quite even but the damage had been done.

Myp/Sell had Butcher back in whilst Willunga had Jack Redden in a crucial game for both teams. The Mudlarks held the ascendancy all day and incresed their lead at each break to record a decisive 26 point win which really throws up some question marks whether Willunga are a genuine contender ??

The other crucial match was Victor and Compass where Victor broke the game open in the 2nd term and maintain the advantage in the 2nd half for a 34 point win

Strath had a regulation win over Yank by 40 points who have shown improvement in the last month

2 weeks ago one would have tipped the Creeks in a cakewalk over Goolwa/PE but after last weeks great showing by the Magpies against McLaren this result was very much up in the air and that's how the game turned out as it went down to the wire. The Magpies came out full of confidence in the 1st term as they had the Hawks rattled at both ends of the field as they raced to a 4 goal lead. The Hawks yips in front of goal continued in the 2nd term which saw G/PE go in with a 12 point half time lead. The Hawks had it all in front of them in the 2nd half without Coach Perrey who went to hospital with a severe shoulder injury. Howell with a couple of quick goals to start off the 3rd term to level the scores put big doubts into the minds of the Magpies whether they could go on with it. The game turned into a real scrap and not great viewing from here. The Creeks got on top in the last term and when they got out to a 19 point lead with 10 mins to go it looked all over but as they have done in most of their matches they havent finished it off and it was all the maggies in the last 10 mins as they peppered the goals but couldn't nail the goals as the Creeks became very frustrated with their own mistakes and the whistle happy umpires resulting in Howell been giving his marching orders for the match which left the Creeks 1 short for the last 5 mins.
The final siren seeing the Hawks hang on for a 10 point win and looking forward to a much needed weekend off. Goo/PE are showing better signs but until they can put in a 4 quarter effort it's still a bit hard to see them getting a win or 2 instead of honorable losses which no team wants to be known for.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 pm

I noticed Butcher kicked 1 goal. How many shots to get that. :D
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby inthestands » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:54 pm

goddy11 wrote:I noticed Butcher kicked 1 goal. How many shots to get that. :D

Only 1 shot. Played ruck a fair bit from what I heard.
Not sure why the hate for Myponga?? Been cellar dwellers for years, bring a great coach and team in who work hard for four years teaching and recruiting. Then they get good across all grades and now the hate?? Hard pleasing some people.
Good on them I say. Will be a scary good team with everyone fit.

I think the 5 is really hard to pick outside top 2. All in it bar gpe and yank. Will make for great second half of the season
inthestands
Mini-League

Been liked: 11 times

Postby goddy11 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:57 pm

inthestands wrote:
goddy11 wrote:I noticed Butcher kicked 1 goal. How many shots to get that. :D

Only 1 shot. Played ruck a fair bit from what I heard.
Not sure why the hate for Myponga?? Been cellar dwellers for years, bring a great coach and team in who work hard for four years teaching and recruiting. Then they get good across all grades and now the hate?? Hard pleasing some people.
Good on them I say. Will be a scary good team with everyone fit.

I think the 5 is really hard to pick outside top 2. All in it bar gpe and yank. Will make for great second half of the season

Was that aimed at me?
I'm a Pongy fan. Just joking at Butcher poor kicking record at other clubs. He takes a great mark.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 am

Personally I have no hate for Pongy either, I’m full of admiration for them actually. Agree with everything you’ve said about the work they’ve done across the grades- brilliant stuff.

It just seems to me that in general to be able to compete at the top of the table, rules get bent/broken. And people get frustrated because they can’t compete when doing the right thing. They just want an even playing field. Everyone wonders how clubs have managed to put the numbers of quality players on the field every week when they have the same salary cap.

So as soon as a club manages to gather many good players the suspicions rise.

I recently met the uncle of a now retired star player of our league. We were just talking about country footy in general and other leagues merging and money…. And he suddenly said well there’s plenty of money in the gsfl. I asked what he meant and he revealed his relationship to this player and the amount he was getting. $1200 pw. ( pre- covid salary cap reduction). He also said it’s hard to get caught when it’s cash. (Not Pongy btw). I also know of a club from another league that couldn’t keep one of their own locals even with the offered incentive of the $1000 marquee payment, as he was going to get more at this same gsfl club.

I know of other examples of this and I’m sure many people do. I don’t know what the answer is to this. The punishments for getting caught are massive. The SANFL are actively investigating clubs and make life a misery for volunteer administrators. But it’s clear that is not enough deterrent. Cash is still king.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Cheap Seats » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:54 am

field of dreams wrote:Personally I have no hate for Pongy either, I’m full of admiration for them actually. Agree with everything you’ve said about the work they’ve done across the grades- brilliant stuff.

It just seems to me that in general to be able to compete at the top of the table, rules get bent/broken. And people get frustrated because they can’t compete when doing the right thing. They just want an even playing field. Everyone wonders how clubs have managed to put the numbers of quality players on the field every week when they have the same salary cap.

I recently met the uncle of a now retired star player of our league. We were just talking about country footy in general and other leagues merging and money…. And he suddenly said well there’s plenty of money in the gsfl. I asked what he meant and he revealed his relationship to this player and the amount he was getting. $1200 pw. ( pre- covid salary cap reduction). He also said it’s hard to get caught when it’s cash. (Not Pongy btw). I also know of a club from another league that couldn’t keep one of their own locals even with the offered incentive of the $1000 marquee payment, as he was going to get more at this same gsfl club.

I know of other examples of this and I’m sure many people do. I don’t know what the answer is to this. The punishments for getting caught are massive. The SANFL are actively investigating clubs and make life a misery for volunteer administrators. But it’s clear that is not enough deterrent. Cash is still king.

Don't you mean $500 FOD? :shock: That's the payment cap to any one player and has been for 3 years. So what you are saying is, the "other leagues club" has just admitted to you a breach of their own by offering that much? Or are you talking about this second player as also another payment from 3 + years ago?
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby field of dreams » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:33 am

Cheap Seats wrote:
field of dreams wrote:Personally I have no hate for Pongy either, I’m full of admiration for them actually. Agree with everything you’ve said about the work they’ve done across the grades- brilliant stuff.

Don't you mean $500 FOD? :shock: That's the payment cap to any one player and has been for 3 years. So what you are saying is, the "other leagues club" has just admitted to you a breach of their own by offering that much? Or are you talking about this second player as also another payment from 3 + years ago?
Also 3+ years ago. I posted about it at the time

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:33 am

Last edited by field of dreams on Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Cheap Seats » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:59 am

field of dreams wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:

Also 3+ years ago. I posted about it at the time

Makes sense
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:54 am

Half way mark…ladder is very interesting

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:56 am

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:26 pm

field of dreams wrote:Image

Premiership tables are always interesting depending on which angle you look at them.

Stating the obvious here but McLaren to be minor premiers although they arnt as dominant as being unbeaten suggest

Spots 2 - 5 are a lottery after some interesting results yesterday. Myp/Sellicks kicking a total of 2 - 5 :shock: I'm assuming conditions were pretty atrocious at Mt Compass so those sort of scorelines arnt unusual from time to time and shouldn't read too much into it.

I'd be surprised to see the top 5 change with Strath effectively being 2 wins out due to their low % . It's possible they could get on a run in 2nd half of season and challenge but everything would have to go right.

Creeks are history. At full strength would be a genuine contender but have been ravished with injuries to key players, picking up another yesterday to add to their woes.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:57 pm

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer