Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Dutchy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:38 pm

whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Footy clubs are so impatient.

Generally driven by committees. You don't get glory/accolades/ego boosts for the long-term strategy you have in place. If you're not a winner you're the first loser. ;) :lol: :lol:

And many clubs go backwards because of this
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby inthestands » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:09 am

Some big player moves rolling out with more to come I’m hearing.
Pathaway got some great players with Juckers in particular. Willunga will be disappointed!
Compass losing Shane Heatley and Jordan Hooper is a big blow. Good players for the dogs joining Juckers at Pathaway.
Daniel Trevena heading to Kangarilla is surprising given how close Myponga are to a GF and the big signing of Darren Shillabeer. Didn’t seem to play heaps of minutes in the couple of games I saw. Might not hurt Myponga much. Also saw that Elliot Chalmers signed with Tooleybuc in Victoria. Only played a handfuls of games this year.
A few leaving Creeks and McLaren with announcements to come.

Be another interesting offseason to see who gets who!!
inthestands
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:33 am

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:

Generally driven by committees. You don't get glory/accolades/ego boosts for the long-term strategy you have in place. If you're not a winner you're the first loser. ;) :lol: :lol:

Don't disagree.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:03 am

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:

Just say it mate

You know Mitchell from his Flaggy days and he probably was an early influence on your coaching journey that started at Flagstaff Hill. You are calling out Pongy for saying.thanks for everything but we’re going in another direction.

There are other smart footy people at Pongy so it’s not a decision made lightly.

Their President is one of the best blokes I’ve ever met. And yeah like your conflict I’ll declare mine he’s a Premiership teammate.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Luke15 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:15 am

I must say I am totally shocked by the coaching moves made by Pongy and Creek.

Starting with Pongy, now I know not all down to Mitchell because there is many great people at Pongy doing great things namely Spinks, Magpie, Richardson and many others but since Mitchell has been there, they have won flags in 14s, 17s and Reserves and made 2 Prelims in the As.

Now myself and all the rest of us are only outsiders and have no idea if there is anything else behind it but on the surface I reckon it looks tough.

Even more baffling is Creek decision. Curtis Perrey great bloke and great servant and looked like he was doing ok. Fair enough if they thought they needed a change but not sure about the appointment and whether that is “moving forward” I heard they had plenty on applicants. Although I have also heard that the successful applicant is very close mates with the footy director and one of the major decision makers.

If what I am hearing is correct, wait until you hear of the names out of Creeks WOW!!!

But like I said we don’t know what is going on behind the scenes but for me and my own opinion Patience is important
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Local GSFL Man » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Season 2024 IN and Outs

Mclaren

Out: Mckay (retired), Ware (Iornbank)

Willunga

Out: Juckers (pathway)

Myponga

In: Darren shillaber

Out: Trevina and Mitchell (kangarilla), Chalmers

Victor Harbor

Mt Compass

In: Shannon Jones

Out; Jordan hooper, Shane Heatley

Strathalbyn

Out: Clamp

Langhorne creek

In: Peter Galbraith (coach), Henry Bruce

Out: Perry??, Helyer, Blackwell, Jones

Encounter Bay

Yankailla

Goolwa

In: trevor Jenkins (coach

Out: slape
Local GSFL Man

Grassroots Team: Milang

Postby Cheap Seats » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:17 am

Local GSFL Man wrote:Season 2024 IN and Outs

Mclaren

Willunga

Myponga

Victor Harbor

Mt Compass

Strathalbyn

Langhorne creek

Encounter Bay

In: Andy Fyfe
Out: Middleton

Yankailla

In:
Out: Hargraves

Goolwa

Cheap Seats
Rookie

Been liked: 24 times

Postby Local GSFL Man » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:43 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
Local GSFL Man wrote:Season 2024 IN and Outs

Mclaren

Willunga

Myponga

Victor Harbor

Mt Compass

Strathalbyn

Langhorne creek

Encounter Bay

In: Andy Fyfe, Tony Gibson

Yankailla

In:

Goolwa

Local GSFL Man

Postby Local GSFL Man » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:44 pm

[quote="Cheap Seats"][quote="Local GSFL Man"]Season 2024 IN and Outs

Mclaren

In: Lachie Matthews

Willunga

Myponga

In: Darren shillaber, Mitch Wilkins

Out: Trevina and Mitchell (kangarilla), Chalmers, hedger

Victor Harbor

In: Ben Heaslip

Out: tom Nevil, Lachie Borrilo, Rhys Mutch

Mt Compass

Strathalbyn

Langhorne creek

In: Peter Galbraith (coach), Henry Bruce, Will Bruce

Out: Perry??, Helyer, Blackwell, Jones, Kartinyari, Clifford (crows SANFL)

Encounter Bay

In: Andy Fyfe, Tony Gibson, Corey gamble

Yankailla

In:

Goolwa

Out: slape, Dekonning
Last edited by Local GSFL Man on Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Local GSFL Man

Postby Local GSFL Man » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:44 pm

looking at the update ins and outs, Goolwa needs some huge signs and players recomiting to not be the points booster again
Local GSFL Man

Postby Turfie » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:53 pm

Local GSFL Man wrote:looking at the update ins and outs, Goolwa needs some huge signs and players recomiting to not be the points booster again

Not sure the bottom 4 clubs would be going after huge signings. With pongy and victor spending around $5k a week (maybe more??), they wouldn’t catch up anyway. Better off just ticking over and not being involved in the bidding wars. Goolwa with 5 blokes at $1000 each, probably could be a shot at 5th but that’s not good finance management
Turfie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby Cheap Seats » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:10 pm

Turfie wrote:
Local GSFL Man wrote:looking at the update ins and outs, Goolwa needs some huge signs and players recomiting to not be the points booster again

Not sure the bottom 4 clubs would be going after huge signings. With pongy and victor spending around $5k a week (maybe more??), they wouldn’t catch up anyway. Better off just ticking over and not being involved in the bidding wars. Goolwa with 5 blokes at $1000 each, probably could be a shot at 5th but that’s not good finance management

Looking at the sides in's and outs, my guess would be Victor might be saving $ with all 3 leaving would have been getting something plus fuel for 3 v's 1? Aren't all their players basically locals or returning locals? I know a lot of them from around the place, and they are all mates from Colts days. They're where we were in the 2000's
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Been liked: 24 times

Postby field of dreams » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:42 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
Turfie wrote:

Looking at the sides in's and outs, my guess would be Victor might be saving $ with all 3 leaving would have been getting something plus fuel for 3 v's 1? Aren't all their players basically locals or returning locals? I know a lot of them from around the place, and they are all mates from Colts days. They're where we were in the 2000's
That’s right Cheep Seats.

5k a week?? Victor don’t have a winery or a milk factory lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Turfie » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:37 pm

Classic. Victor under the cap? They will want to have some serious finance skills to cover it. Blatant cheating which is a bit of a dampener on the season already. I’m sure clubs push the limits. Gaza and jervois I’m sure are in discussions with the SANFL already
Turfie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby cracka » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Is Bryce Gibbs playing for Victor next year
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Keefy » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:59 pm

cracka wrote:Is Bryce Gibbs playing for Victor next year
Apparently so

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Brodlach » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:30 pm

Keefy wrote:
cracka wrote:Is Bryce Gibbs playing for Victor next year
Apparently so

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Been announced
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby inthestands » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:54 am

Cheap Seats wrote:
Turfie wrote:

Victor definitely paying well over cap. Boyd and Guilhaus shopped themselves around at $1500 each per game. I know for a fact a few clubs in GSFL including Myponga said can’t do that, outside cap. Sure enough turn up at Victor. Rang around their other players to get stories straight when sanfl cam knocking. I spoke to one of those players directly. Mr Levy won’t look to hard given his home club.

Someone I know close to Myponga said that they pay inline with the cap, talking to the auditors almost weekly making sure all is in order. Rod Mitchell also has an unblemished record of doing it by the book.

Everyone will speculate and make assumptions. Victor with everyone on the park will be a formidable team. Won’t be surprised if Haines rocks up there too. If you’re going to have a dip, may as well go all in! Will be a fascinating season 2024
inthestands
Mini-League

Postby field of dreams » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:55 am

Turfie wrote:Classic. Victor under the cap? They will want to have some serious finance skills to cover it. Blatant cheating which is a bit of a dampener on the season already. I’m sure clubs push the limits. Gaza and jervois I’m sure are in discussions with the SANFL already
Blatant Cheating?? WTF? You have NFI.

To be able to compete with the dominant GSLF clubs of the last 20 years requires a huge amount of work and an intelligent strategy.
Victor’s coaching staff and committee has put in place a plan over the past few years to attract its successful junior players, past players and guys with a tie back to the club and worked tirelessly to achieve that. Unsurprisingly, others see and want to join the great culture that has been created and play with their mates.

Throwing money at Div 1 amateur guys year after year and watch them walk and try the same again the next year is a better strategy I suppose?

Easy to throw mud rather than getting off your butt and work to improve I guess. Loser.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:10 am

inthestands wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:
Turfie wrote:

Victor definitely paying well over cap. Boyd and Guilhaus shopped themselves around at $1500 each per game. I know for a fact a few clubs in GSFL including Myponga said can’t do that, outside cap. Sure enough turn up at Victor. Rang around their other players to get stories straight when sanfl cam knocking. I spoke to one of those players directly. Mr Levy won’t look to hard given his home club.

Someone I know close to Myponga said that they pay inline with the cap, talking to the auditors almost weekly making sure all is in order. Rod Mitchell also has an unblemished record of doing it by the book.

Everyone will speculate and make assumptions. Victor with everyone on the park will be a formidable team. Won’t be surprised if Haines rocks up there too. If you’re going to have a dip, may as well go all in! Will be a fascinating season 2024

Your whole post shows how very little you actually know. Lol

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy