Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby old fullback » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:11 am

field of dreams wrote:After seeing Creek last week they looked like a real contender as the season gets serious.
Fantastic for the Comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What date does the season start to get serious as I don't want to miss it
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby field of dreams » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 am

old fullback wrote:
field of dreams wrote:After seeing Creek last week they looked like a real contender as the season gets serious.
Fantastic for the Comp.

Lol sorry OF
..at the business end
..come finals time
..in the major round

but don’t worry about the serious stuff OF, just keep entertaining us with the comedy [emoji849][emoji6]

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 am

field of dreams wrote:JJ- what the?
Bays... impossible to predict what they are going to bring [emoji15]

Creek were always gonna be up against it against the Bays.

Missing Sellar, Derham, McGregor, Lally and Warren.
Competed well for the 1st term but once Bays got out to a 4 - 5 goal lead the Creeks knew there was no coming back from there.
Smashed in all departments.
Just shows that any team missing 5 of their top players are gonna struggle against the other contenders. Bays did lead Compass by 9 goals last month before losing so shows they are right up there.
Creeks now under huge pressure just to make the 5 :shock:
Looks like a 3 way tussle now for 5th between Creeks, Strath and Bays. Shows how strong the comp is when 2 of those 3 teams will miss the 5
Creeks should get 4 of those 5 back against McLaren next week and could be the difference in extending the Creeks dominance over McLaren which dates back about 2000 odd days :shock:
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:51 am

Round 11 could be a wet one if BOM gets it right.
As per usual there are several massive games with results having a big impact on teams chances come September
The game of the round is Victor v Compass. Victor are in hot form at the moment and get the nod in a tight one in a result that could ultimately decide the Minor Premiership.
Victor by 9 points

The other HUGE game is last years Grand Finalists in the Spluttering Hawks (7th) and McLaren (4th).
It was Rd 16 2014 (1785 days ago) since McLaren last toppled the Hawks and im tipping they may have to wait a bit longer as well.
The Hawks will be back close to Full strength Saturday in what is simply a MUST win game for them just to stay in touch with the 5
Mclaren need the win likewise to not only break their hoodoo over the Hawks but to stay in top 3 contention which is paramount to launch a Premiership bid.
L Creek by 17 points

Of the other games the Bays simply have to get the job done at Yankalilla and on last weeks effort they should
Bays by 27 points

Strath and Willunga should both have comfortable wins over the the merged bottom of the ladder teams in Goolwa/PE & Myponga/Sellicks respectively.
Strath by 39 points
Willunga by 51 points
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby old fullback » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 am

field of dreams wrote:
old fullback wrote:
Fantastic for the Comp.

Lol sorry OF
..at the business end
..come finals time
..in the major round

but don’t worry about the serious stuff OF, just keep entertaining us with the comedy [emoji849][emoji6]

I didn't think the minor round was very serious after all, cheers FOD, and leave the funny stuff to me.
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:38 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Round 11 could be a wet one if BOM gets it right.
As per usual there are several massive games with results having a big impact on teams chances come September
The game of the round is Victor v Compass. Victor are in hot form at the moment and get the nod in a tight one in a result that could ultimately decide the Minor Premiership.
Victor by 9

After 2 tough victories and no Lang, Hartshorne or Bartlett down back to deal with the size of the league’s 2 leading goal kickers in Pinyon and Vitkunas, my tip was different to yours JJ. Losing Ben Basham very early only made the task harder. Once again very poor conversion (1-7 to 2-0 in the first quarter) left the gate wide open for compass to stamp their authority which they did with ease after quarter time.
Not sure what is going on on SportTG though. Pittaway played wearing number 6 but not named. Hit the scoreboard too I reckon. ??

Bays roller coaster continues leaving the door open for the top 8 teams to play finals.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:42 pm

old fullback wrote:
field of dreams wrote:
old fullback wrote:
Fantastic for the Comp.

Lol sorry OF
..at the business end
..come finals time
..in the major round

I didn't think the minor round was very serious after all, cheers FOD, and leave the funny stuff to me.

Stage is all yours OF.
But what date does the stuff start to get funny as I don't want to miss it
[emoji12]

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:38 pm

field of dreams wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:Round 11 could be a wet one if BOM gets it right.
Victor by 9

After 2 tough victories and no Lang, Hartshorne or Bartlett down back to deal with the size of the league’s 2 leading goal kickers in Pinyon and Vitkunas, my tip was different to yours JJ. Losing Ben Basham very early only made the task harder. Once again very poor conversion (1-7 to 2-0 in the first quarter) left the gate wide open for compass to stamp their authority which they did with ease after quarter time.
Not sure what is going on on SportTG though. Pittaway played wearing number 6 but not named. Hit the scoreboard too I reckon. ??

Bays roller coaster continues leaving the door open for the top 8 teams to play finals.

That explains it then
Just shows how hard it is to win when a team has a few key players missing and cop an injury or 2 during the match.

Same as Creeks the week before against Bays having 5 top players out. Reality was Creeks were never gonna win that game.
They got 4 of them back Saturday against McLaren and the result was there for all to see>
The 9 point margin flattered McLaren. After an even 1st term the Creeks made full use of the wind in the 2nd kicking 6 goals to Nil
Last quarter with the aid of the breeze and a 14 point lead the Creeks extended that to 33 late in the game until McLaren kicked last 4 goals ALL from Free kicks including 3 in about a minute in a moment of madness just before the siren as things got a bit hot in the kitchen.resulting in a Creek player sent off and a double goal prevailed.
A very hard fought contest in trying conditions with the difference being the 2nd term when the Creeks small forwards ran rings around the McLaren defenders.

Yank upsetting the Bays was a bit of a surprise but im guessing Yank has suffered as much as any team this season with player unavailability and has shown with a full team they're very dangerous.

Strath and Willunga had regulation wins
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:36 am

Round 12 produced another fascinating batch of results.
Willunga scraped home for a 1 point win over McLaren
Goolwa/PE scored their 2nd win for the season with an upset 7 point win over Yank
Victor with an incredibly accurate 19 - 2 got over the Bays 14 - 10 in a high scoring encounter
Compass had an unsurprising thumping win over the hapless Mudlarks
Creeks got over Strath comfortably in the end by 39 points to sneak back into the 5
Creeks dominated early in the game despite kicking into the wind. Getting out to a 5 goal lead by half time they couldn't completely shake the Roosters who stayed within reach until the Hawks kicked the last few goals in a win that could have been larger had they not hit the post no fewer than 5 times for the match.

As open and even the comp is im tipping the 5 is relatively set with Compass, Willunga and Victor looking safe for an all important top 3 position whilst McLaren and Creeks are positioning themselves for an Elimination Final clash by finishing 4th & 5th.
Strath and E Bay both looking likely to miss which shows how strong the comp is as they are both extremely competitive against all of the top 5 teams
Bays in particular is a strange one as they have comfortably beaten the Creeks twice this season and actually led Compass by 9 goals at one stage before incredibly losing by a few points. A lack of consistency has been their downfall
Yank are destined to finish 8th after their mildly surprising loss to the Magpies
Goolwa/PE will finish 9th whilst Myp/Sellicks are likely to go winless
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 pm

Victor definitely kicked 19-3 not 19-2. Bit of a change from 3-11 the previous week!
Bays copped 22-6 from VH in the first round too.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby limb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:07 am

Southern Districts Men's Team to play in the State Country Championships at Port Pirie this weekend

1. Clamp, Riley (Strathalbyn) (U21)
2. Tylis, Joe (Yankalilla) (U21)
3. Mesecke, Clayton (Christies Beach) (U21)
4. Illingworth, Tarik (Encounter Bay)
5. Arnold, Damon (Reynella) (U21)
6. Benham, Luke (Flagstaff Hill)
7. Vitkunas, Tom (Mt. Compass)
8. Vitkunas, Ziggy (Mt. Compass)
9. Alexopolous, Sam (Willunga)
10. Tharaldsen, Sam (Flagstaff Hill)
11. Hoffman, Tyson (Willunga)
12. Cook, Bradley (Willunga)
13. Ellis, Brett (McLaren)
14. Johnson, Mitchell (Flagstaff Hill) (U21)
15. Steele, Nicholas (Pt. Noarlunga) (U21)
16. Wakefield, Max (McLaren)
17. McAllister, Toby (Flagstaff Hill)
18. Pinyon, Tom (Mt. Compass)
19. Johnston, Reece (Parndana)
20. Johnson, Troy (Noarlunga)
21. Paterson, Bradley (Flagstaff Hill)
22. Gaspari, Callum (Noarlunga) (U21)
23. Hill, Damon (Myponga/Sellicks)
24. McKay, Jack (Victor Harbor)
26. Veidi, Jake (Pt Noarlunga)
limb
Under 18s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby ball breaker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:45 pm

limb wrote:Southern Districts Men's Team to play in the State Country Championships at Port Pirie this weekend

1. Clamp, Riley (Strathalbyn) (U21)
2. Tylis, Joe (Yankalilla) (U21)
3. Mesecke, Clayton (Christies Beach) (U21)
4. Illingworth, Tarik (Encounter Bay)
5. Arnold, Damon (Reynella) (U21)
6. Benham, Luke (Flagstaff Hill)
7. Vitkunas, Tom (Mt. Compass)
8. Vitkunas, Ziggy (Mt. Compass)
9. Alexopolous, Sam (Willunga)
10. Tharaldsen, Sam (Flagstaff Hill)
11. Hoffman, Tyson (Willunga)
12. Cook, Bradley (Willunga)
13. Ellis, Brett (McLaren)
14. Johnson, Mitchell (Flagstaff Hill) (U21)
15. Steele, Nicholas (Pt. Noarlunga) (U21)
16. Wakefield, Max (McLaren)
17. McAllister, Toby (Flagstaff Hill)
18. Pinyon, Tom (Mt. Compass)
19. Johnston, Reece (Parndana)
20. Johnson, Troy (Noarlunga)
21. Paterson, Bradley (Flagstaff Hill)
22. Gaspari, Callum (Noarlunga) (U21)
23. Hill, Damon (Myponga/Sellicks)
24. McKay, Jack (Victor Harbor)
26. Veidi, Jake (Pt Noarlunga)
Limb r u taking the p.i.5.5.?? No LCFC people??

Is the club refusing to allow the boys to play?
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby limb » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Former Western Bulldogs and GWS Giants AFL player Ryan Griffen to play country footy for Goolwa/Port Elliot

Ex-Western Bulldogs captain Ryan Griffen will make his long-awaited country footy senior debut for his hometown team this Saturday when he lines up alongside his two brothers.

Former Western Bulldogs captain Ryan Griffen will return to his hometown to play for boyhood club Goolwa/Port Elliot this Saturday in his first match since retiring from the AFL.

The 2013 All-Australian and ex-GWS Giants midfielder will line up alongside brothers Trent and Travis when the Magpies host Langhorne Creek at Goolwa Oval in the Great Southern Footy League.

Griffen, who played 257 AFL games across 13 seasons, will also celebrate his 33rd birthday on the same day.

The high-profile recruit signed on at Goolwa/Port Elliot in November.

Griffen is an obvious welcome addition but his homecoming is even more important, given the Magpies went winless in 2018 and have battled to two wins and 13 losses so far this season.

His brother Travis has come out of retirement this season so the three siblings can pull on the Magpies guernsey on together.

The two-time Charlie Sutton Medal winner (Dogs’ best and fairest) came through the juniors at the club.

He then progressed to South Adelaide’s underage sides, SA teams and eventually the AFL, landing at the Bulldogs via pick No.3 in the 2004 national draft.

Griffen’s final AFL match was last season’s second semi-final loss to Collingwood while playing for the Giants.

He is not the only former star coming out of retirement to play country footy in SA.

Former Brownlow Medallist and Port Adelaide and Essendon premiership star Gavin Wanganeen will lace up the boots for Yorke Peninsula side Moonta on August 3.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/former-western-bulldogs-and-gws-giants-afl-player-ryan-griffen-to-play-country-footy-for-goolwaport-elliot/news-story/275d1e9c1603329dcc1d85b9ca410fbd
limb
Under 18s

Postby saintal » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:14 am

Why has it taken this long for Ryan to play? Injury?
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby limb » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 am

saintal wrote:Why has it taken this long for Ryan to play? Injury?

I could be wrong, but I think he actually lives in Sydney??
limb
Under 18s

Postby LuvsFooty » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:19 am

Lives in Victoria. Got injured in a trial match v happy valley, then became a father. Injury sorted and baby now settled
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:31 pm

It was promoted that he would play at least 6 games wasn't it?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby limb » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:34 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:Lives in Victoria. Got injured in a trial match v happy valley, then became a father. Injury sorted and baby now settled

Can we expect to see more of him in the Magpies jumper in 2019 beyond this Saturday LF?
limb
Under 18s

Postby LuvsFooty » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:59 pm

Will have to see how he pulls up. Without the injury occurring I reckon we would have seen him most weeks.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Fantastic last couple of rounds and finals ahead.
Just played with the ‘ladder predictor’ on sportsTG from VH perspective (have Willunga and Creek )
Win 2 - finish top
Win 1 finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th
Lose both- finish 4th or 5th

Mclaren d victor should have sealed Straths fate (and their own)...Mclaren have yank and bays to come so ‘should’ play finals.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy