Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Snap Kick Ninja » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Luke15 wrote:Hey Guys, footy is back so it is time to tip some winners.

Goolwa Vs Willunga - Little upset here for me. I reckon Goolwa will get the biscuits

Langhornes Vs Victor - The Creek to get up in a tight contest

McLaren Vs Compass - Another upset. Compass with some handy inclusions to get over a very inconsistent McLaren side

Yankalilla Vs Myponga - Yank to win easily

Encounter Vs Strathalbyn - Strath to win here.

My ladder prediction:

Strathalbyn
Encounter Bay
Willunga
Goolwa
Langhornes
Victor
Compass
McLarens
Yankalilla
Myponga

Pongy up by about 20 goal in the A's and 7 in the B's
Snap Kick Ninja
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby the wonder elephant » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:10 pm

Is the bays game a night game ?
the wonder elephant
League - Best 21

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby field of dreams » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:30 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Victor over the Creek by about 5 goals.
A very error ridden scrap for 3 quarters until Victor took advantage of the Creeks tiredness by piling on the goals in the last term.
Creeks will NOT be playing Finals this season whilst Victor would want to improve 100% on that to be a serious contender.

14-12 to 9-3 according to the scoreboard
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby words of wisdom » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:39 pm

Pongy by plenty over Yank. Ty Allen with 5 goals
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Newkid » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:04 am

[quote="jackpot jim"]Victor over the Creek by about 5 goals.
A very error ridden scrap for 3 quarters until Victor took advantage of the Creeks tiredness by piling on the goals in the last term.
Creeks will NOT be playing Finals this season whilst Victor would want to improve 100% on that to be a serious contender.[/quote

Very big call on both teams seeing as thought it is first round and u haven't seen all teams play!! Must be a port supporter?? Always going off early :shock:
Newkid
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:47 am

Newkid wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:Victor over the Creek by about 5 goals.
Creeks will NOT be playing Finals this season whilst Victor would want to improve 100% on that to be a serious contender.[/quote

Very big call on both teams seeing as thought it is first round and u haven't seen all teams play!! Must be a port supporter?? Always going off early :shock:

Not a big call at all.
Creeks are about 60% of the side they were last year with little quality depth for when they pick up injuries so a Finals spot would be a shock imo.
Victor had more talent than the Creek but for 3 quarters fumbled and stumbled with the ball and playing very indirect footy. The Creek oval from the centre is a handball, kick, goal size ground yet they continued to play into the hands of the Creek defense by continuing going far and wide until the last quarter. Just saying they're not a serious threat on this matches performance but yes, they have another 17 matches to improve on it which they'll have to.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby field of dreams » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:10 am

Pretty fair assessment I thought JJ. It was certainly no spectacle but the Roos had the better of it all day and if it wasn't for their poor goal kicking and Creeks good, the game would have been blown open a long time before it was.
A new game plan was quite obvious and it will take some time for that to gel, but yes the turnovers stat column would have been overflowing!
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Firstbounce » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:52 am

I can't find the R1 results on GSFL page , anyone able to post for me ? Cheers
Firstbounce
Mini-League

Postby LuvsFooty » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:36 am

Sporting pulse probably still in meltdown with all the self registrations

Scores (from radio commentators)

Myponga 23-8 d Yank 10-8

Vh 14-11 d LC 9-4

MC 18-7 d McL 16-9

GPE 18-5 d Will 11-6
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby field of dreams » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 am

Thanks LF
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Luke15 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Well well i am very happy with myself getting my 2 upsets right. Was a little surprised that Victor beat Langhorne but good on them.

I.knew Compass would beat McLaren. I for one am not buying into the hype around McLaren. 2 players Parry$ and Powell$ dont make a team.

Also not surprised to.see Goolwa win over Demons. I reckon Goolwa have a good list and im also hearing good things about Lees and Rugolo down there and the way they are going about it
Luke15
Rookie

Been liked: 18 times

Postby LexLuther » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:24 pm

Very interesting start to the season! Didn't expect the bay's to win so convincingly, benchmark of the comp?!! Creeks could be in for a long year! Compass almost gave up a 30 point lead at 3qtr time!! Goolwa also finished strongly, didn't really rate them too highly but I guess my mind might have to change if they keep it up! Also what happened at yank!! I tipped them to be strong this year.... Surely they can't go winless again
LexLuther
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Yankalilla

Postby oldbomber » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:11 pm

Great to have the footy back, its only round 1 but yanks best chance of a win might be against the creeks! Cant believe how far off the mark yank are still with all their recruits and $$$ spent but hopefully they are competitive again soon. Cant see creek getting anywhere near finals, mcclaren with work to do to live up to their pre season hype. Magpies looking the goods early as are the bays, pongy and compass could be big improvers, strath a bit groggy and nursing a premiership hangover maybe? Victor and willunga similar positions to last year and will need to play out of their skins to get a finals birth. Looking forward to the next few weeks games to get a better idea of who are contenders and who are pretenders
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:46 pm

When was the last time Myponga, Goolwa and Mount Compass were all in the Top 5 at the same time?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby words of wisdom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:50 am

Never seen so many right offs after one round... Injuries (as they normally do) will decide the top 5.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Postby field of dreams » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:50 pm

words of wisdom wrote:Never seen so many right offs after one round... Injuries (as they normally do) will decide the top 5.

Very true WoW - it's a long season! Yank look to have been missing Hinge, Lewis, Sidebottom and Thomson - that would make quite a difference. I see Thomson didn't play after July last yr, what did he do? is he expected to play?
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby words of wisdom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:03 pm

field of dreams wrote:
words of wisdom wrote:Never seen so many right offs after one round... Injuries (as they normally do) will decide the top 5.

Very true WoW - it's a long season! Yank look to have been missing Hinge, Lewis, Sidebottom and Thomson - that would make quite a difference. I see Thomson didn't play after July last yr, what did he do? is he expected to play?

I heard that Thompson was concussed in their last trial, Hinge is out until mid year, not sure on the other 2.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Postby Firstbounce » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:18 pm

Yank are interesting , in the sense they have recruited , like everyone else. But have they recruited enough given all other Clubs have done the same ?

IMHO no . I think they will struggle to win a game .

Every other Club has moved forward as well , which means the gap stays the same.

Myponga will play finals and deep and should by now Clay needs to deliver.
Firstbounce
Mini-League

Postby LexLuther » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Firstbounce wrote:Yank are interesting , in the sense they have recruited , like everyone else. But have they recruited enough given all other Clubs have done the same ?

IMHO no . I think they will struggle to win a game .

Every other Club has moved forward as well , which means the gap stays the same.

Myponga will play finals and deep and should by now Clay needs to deliver.

Let's just see how pongy go the next 2 weeks against goolwa and compass who I would say are going to be around the mark. Yank looked to be very under strengthed
LexLuther
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Yankalilla

Postby words of wisdom » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:12 am

Depth has been & always will be Pongys problem. This year will be no different. Last year we were right there & TC got injured for a period, then Spud. Finals slipped away again. The difference I can see this year is the on field leadership & the 4 young colts that have come up. I saw Ty Allen call one of our players out for an effort that wasn't good enough - It was fantastic in they way he did it, not abusive or anything like that, just pure leadership. It's what they've been missing. This young player then responded & kicked 4 goals & finished in the best players. Yank were missing some quality players but Pongy still had 3 - 4 out of their best 21. As I've said previously, injuries will decide the final 5. There is a lot of teams that could finish 3rd or 4th but if injuries strike they could finish 8th or 9th. Going to be a ripping season.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy