Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:53 am

Willunga, Victor & Compass can all still finish Top depending on results
The form side of the comp, Creeks have won last 6 matches and could extend that to 8 by winning their last 2 and could still finish 4th especially if Victor beat Willunga this week. To get the VITAL double Chance Creeks need Willunga to beat Victor this week which would set up a Finals like match between Creeks and Victor in Rd 18 to decide 3rd.
McLaren have pretty much sealed 5th spot tho likely to move to 4th if Creeks lose to Victor
Strath are technically a mathematical chance of 5th but are probably a 10,000/1 chance

Shaping up to be the most open finals series ever imo
If Creeks could somehow snare 3rd spot they could well be premiership favourites but with a likely 4th or 5th placing would be a 10/1 shot

Suggested Flag odds
Willunga $3.30
Compass $3.40
Victor $3.50
Creeks $6.00
McLaren $17.00
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby Luke15 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am

Great post Jackpot Jim and I agree this is an exciting time which is hard to predict.

You would argue that Strath would be right up there with Creeks a the most in form side in the comp

I think this finals series could really come down to what injuries clubs have and how much depth the clubs have built.

I did notice a lot of notable omissions from the team sheets on the weekend, wondering whether they are long term or will be back.

Compass, Willunga and McLaren looked to have the most out. Can anyone shed any light from these clubs
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 pm

The result of the Willunga - Victor game was always gonna have a huge bearing on their respective chances come finals and looking at the score the game certainly didnt disappoint with Victor over coming a 23 point quarter time deficit to be a comfortable 21 point leader at 3/4 time and looking good to wrap up the double chance whilst Willunga needed the win to set them up as Minor Premiers .
Willunga ultimately prevailed by the barest possible margin, 1 point
The result being now Willunga only need to defeat Strath to seal the Minor Premiership and a free pass into the 2nd Semi Final whilst Victor who were looking the goods to finish top only 2 weeks ago have faltered by losing to fellow finalists McLaren and Willunga and now face the in form Creeks who are on a 7 game winning streak in a match that will determine who finishes 3rd and the important double chance. The loser will be consigned to the cut throat Elim final against the dangerous McLaren, which is a very difficult, treacherous and almost certain route to NOT winning the Flag.
All the pressure will be on Victor as the Creeks have basically been out of Top 3 contention all season until now and should have their full compliment to select from next week for only the 2nd time this season. Gonna be a cracking game i'd expect
So Willunga will finish Top if they beat Strath , if not they will drop to 2nd as Mt Compass should account for Yankalilla comfortably so will finish 2nd or Top if Willunga falter
McLaren have basiaclly a trial game against E Bay as a win or lose wont change anything for them as they are consigned for the Elim Final
As mentioned the winner of Victor v Creek match will finish 3rd and the loser playing McLaren next week.
Creek will actually likely fall to 5th if they lose.
All in all it's an incredibly strong top 5 teams and an amazing finals series is ensured
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:57 pm

jackpot jim wrote:The result of the Willunga - Victor game was always gonna have a huge bearing on their respective chances come finals and looking at the score the game certainly didnt disappoint with Victor over coming a 23 point quarter time deficit to be a comfortable 21 point leader at 3/4 time and looking good to wrap up the double chance whilst Willunga needed the win to set them up as Minor Premiers .
Willunga ultimately prevailed by the barest possible margin, 1 point
The result being now Willunga only need to defeat Strath to seal the Minor Premiership and a free pass into the 2nd Semi Final whilst Victor who were looking the goods to finish top only 2 weeks ago have faltered by losing to fellow finalists McLaren and Willunga and now face the in form Creeks who are on a 7 game winning streak in a match that will determine who finishes 3rd and the important double chance. The loser will be consigned to the cut throat Elim final against the dangerous McLaren, which is a very difficult, treacherous and almost certain route to NOT winning the Flag.
All the pressure will be on Victor as the Creeks have basically been out of Top 3 contention all season until now and should have their full compliment to select from next week for only the 2nd time this season. Gonna be a cracking game i'd expect
So Willunga will finish Top if they beat Strath , if not they will drop to 2nd as Mt Compass should account for Yankalilla comfortably so will finish 2nd or Top if Willunga falter
McLaren have basiaclly a trial game against E Bay as a win or lose wont change anything for them as they are consigned for the Elim Final
As mentioned the winner of Victor v Creek match will finish 3rd and the loser playing McLaren next week.
Creek will actually likely fall to 5th if they lose.
All in all it's an incredibly strong top 5 teams and an amazing finals series is ensured

Yup. Can’t wait to see how it plays out. Huge game at Victor this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Watched the last 1/4 of Willunga/Victor on youtube, the winning point was kicked from a mark that looked like it was completed well over the boundary line.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:34 pm

[quote="Dutchy"]Watched the last 1/4 of Willunga/Victor on youtube, the winning point was kicked from a mark that looked like it was completed well over the boundary line.

Looking at the replay its impossible to tell whether the ball was entirely over the line when he took it on the 2nd attempt imo.
Certainly didn't look an obvious clanger to me.

As always it's the little things in the last minute of every close match that is scrutinized rather than the 50 other mistakes during the game made by umpires and players.
Biggest concern for mistakes i have at Willunga is the kids size goalposts in use that often require goal umpires to use a lot of calculated guesswork.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:50 am

Dutchy wrote:Watched the last 1/4 of Willunga/Victor on youtube, the winning point was kicked from a mark that looked like it was completed well over the boundary line.

Well picked up Dutchy. The crowd was in perfect position to see this and it certainly looked clearly over the line to us. The camera angle actually makes it look not as bad as it was. Note the boundary ump was not in a position to adjudicate (and made no effort to do so). The victor players were still whining about it after the point was scored.
But the score is up, game is over and they will need to concentrate on making a better start next week. Willunga had a 4 goal lead after only 8 minutes of play before victor managed to stem the flow somewhat. Willunga also kicked the first 2 after quarter time to give them a 6 goal lead before victor switched on.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Smashed Crab » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:59 am

No talk about gun forward Tommy Pinyon snagging his 100th goal of the season for Compass on the weekend. Congrats to the young man. A great effort by the Compass Junior. All this whining from SFL supporters saying GSFL has to recruit to be any good but the locals are certainly holding their own.

When was the last time someone kicked 100 in a season in the GSFL?
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:18 am

field of dreams wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Watched the last 1/4 of Willunga/Victor on youtube, the winning point was kicked from a mark that looked like it was completed well over the boundary line.

Well picked up Dutchy. The crowd was in perfect position to see this and it certainly looked clearly over the line to us. The camera angle actually makes it look not as bad as it was. Note the boundary ump was not in a position to adjudicate (and made no effort to do so). The victor players were still whining about it after the point was scored.
But the score is up, game is over and they will need to concentrate on making a better start next week. Willunga had a 4 goal lead after only 8 minutes of play before victor managed to stem the flow somewhat. Willunga also kicked the first 2 after quarter time to give them a 6 goal lead before victor switched on.

Yeah the boundary ump was miles away, which was strange as the play was switched by Willunga to his side of the ground so had plenty of time to make good position for that call.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:03 am

Dutchy wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

Yeah the boundary ump was miles away, which was strange as the play was switched by Willunga to his side of the ground so had plenty of time to make good position for that call.

One could draw the conclusion that he was struggling with it being late in the game, lots of quick transitions and he isn’t in his prime. But when the previous mark was taken he stopped and waited behind that contest rather than getting upfield, so could be a lack of understanding of the job.
(Not meaning to have a dig...good on him for getting out there. Was bloody frustrating given when it occurred though)

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:08 am

Smashed Crab wrote:No talk about gun forward Tommy Pinyon snagging his 100th goal of the season for Compass on the weekend. Congrats to the young man. A great effort by the Compass Junior. All this whining from SFL supporters saying GSFL has to recruit to be any good but the locals are certainly holding their own.

Yes fantastic effort SC.
Good question. I scanned back through SP results pages and found this. Both included finals though too. Unsure of accuracy as the SP history gets messed up sometimes. Dundovics weekly only adds to 96[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190820/66553b7fc69b5993f89ba5847838e1ac.jpg[/img]

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 am

Note Pinyon has kicked 91 and 86 previously
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:15 am

field of dreams wrote:
One could draw the conclusion that he was struggling with it being late in the game, lots of quick transitions and he isn’t in his prime. But when the previous mark was taken he stopped and waited behind that contest rather than getting upfield, so could be a lack of understanding of the job.
(Not meaning to have a dig...good on him for getting out there. Was bloody frustrating given when it occurred though)

Yeah agree he was probably out of gas, do you guys get extra boundary umpires on the bigger ovals? We often get 3 boundary umpires so they share the load across the game with 2 patrolling one side.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Smashed Crab » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:23 pm

field of dreams wrote:Note Pinyon has kicked 91 and 86 previously

Yeh I had a quick look at his history, also notched up his 500th A grade goal over the weekend. Given he's only what 25/26? He has a few years left in him. Keep bagging 80+ a year (barring injuries) and he would have to give 1000 a crack. Historians, any figures on all time GSFL snag kickers? Few players in the 90's would have got their numbers up.
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:Yeah agree he was probably out of gas, do you guys get extra boundary umpires on the bigger ovals? We often get 3 boundary umpires so they share the load across the game with 2 patrolling one side.

I reckon we do. He seemed to be doing the whole side.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Smashed Crab wrote:
field of dreams wrote:Note Pinyon has kicked 91 and 86 previously

Yeh I had a quick look at his history, also notched up his 500th A grade goal over the weekend. Given he's only what 25/26? He has a few years left in him. Keep bagging 80+ a year (barring injuries) and he would have to give 1000 a crack. Historians, any figures on all time GSFL snag kickers? Few players in the 90's would have got their numbers up.

I’ve got some stuff somewhere I think.
Off the top of my head Tim Follett (creek) and Ian Basham (Sam and Ben’s Dad) are over 1000.

Sam isn’t doing too bad for a back man on 67 lol

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Tiger83 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Smashed Crab wrote:No talk about gun forward Tommy Pinyon snagging his 100th goal of the season for Compass on the weekend. Congrats to the young man. A great effort by the Compass Junior. All this whining from SFL supporters saying GSFL has to recruit to be any good but the locals are certainly holding their own.

Dundovic from Yank and Hams from Willunga both kicked 100 in 2010 I believe. Both milestones occurred in finals from what I can remember.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:46 pm

Smashed Crab wrote:All this whining from SFL supporters saying GSFL has to recruit to be any good but the locals are certainly holding their own.

Where is that coming from? SFL has its fair share of recruits too.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby damian » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Anyone heard much about Alleway being reported on Saturday? Having watched the footage, both his strikes on Derham (12 minute mark of the Happy FM footage) and on Helyar (1:36:38) are both quite ordinary. Latest I’ve heard is he has no case to answer.

Additionally, any tips for the Mail Medal on Wednesday night? I think Bass will take it home.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:21 am

damian wrote:Anyone heard much about Alleway being reported on Saturday? Having watched the footage, both his strikes on Derham (12 minute mark of the Happy FM footage) and on Helyar (1:36:38) are both quite ordinary. Latest I’ve heard is he has no case to answer.

Additionally, any tips for the Mail Medal on Wednesday night? I think Bass will take it home.

Was at the game and must say i dont recall seeing anything and certainly didnt hear of any talk about any incidents or reports.
So was he reported? Considering there were no send offs for the match it would be surprising.
You've got me curious now, i'll have to have a look at the replay

On the match itself, the reigning premiers L Creek have served notice that they are real contenders in defending their title.
Victor certainly had the better of the 1st term kicking against the breeze. Creeks then out their foot down in the 2nd and 3rd terms strangling Victors forward movements whilst piling on the goals themselves to put the game beyond doubt by 3/4 time
After a slow start to the season the Creeks were struggling to make the finals after being toweled up in Rd 10 by E Bay to have a 5 & 5 record but since then have won 8 in a row including decisive wins against ALL other finalists to surge into 3rd spot and the vital double chance whilst the Roos must be gutted after losing their last 3 matches to fall from 1st to 5th :shock: That just shows how tight the comp is among the top 5.

As for a Mail Medal tip i wouldn't have a clue as it's usually a raffle. Sellar and Lally invited from the Creeks so obviously their top 2 vote getters. Lally has had a good season but at same time i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't finish in the top 6 for Creek B&F. Sellar has played 14 of 18 matches and will go close to winning Creeks B&F .
jackpot jim
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy