Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Great Southern Football League

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
One Eyed wrote:Sherwood leaving. Will he take a few with him ?

Dont think it'll be his decision whether he takes a few with him.

A few may elect to go with him but would be very surprised if that'd be the the case.
After winning consecutive flags, i think all are pretty happy where they are.

Seems as though they are after more players, they are trying to lure some players form the RMFL is what I'm hearing
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Yank Man » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:45 pm

grasshopper22 wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

A few may elect to go with him but would be very surprised if that'd be the the case.

Seems as though they are after more players, they are trying to lure some players form the RMFL is what I'm hearing

Sherwood will do a great job at his new club, but GSFL grand final to Div 6 SAAFL??? You wouldn't think too many would go down that path because only money would entice them and Div 6 don't pay much. I wish him well but, top fella.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby PK12 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Yank Man wrote:
grasshopper22 wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

Sherwood will do a great job at his new club, but GSFL grand final to Div 6 SAAFL??? You wouldn't think too many would go down that path because only money would entice them and Div 6 don't pay much. I wish him well but, top fella.

Which div 6 team has he gone to? Any others confirmed to go with him?
PK12

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby dogsrbarkin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:29 am

Yank Man wrote:
grasshopper22 wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

If my sources are correct its morphettville park in the sfl not div 6
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby finals fever » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:35 am

Seems as though they are after more players, they are trying to lure some players form the RMFL is what I'm hearing[/quote]

Sherwood will do a great job at his new club, but GSFL grand final to Div 6 SAAFL??? You wouldn't think too many would go down that path because only money would entice them and Div 6 don't pay much. I wish him well but, top fella.[/quote]
If my sources are correct its morphettville park in the sfl not div 6[/quote]

Maybe the dogsrbarkin up the wrong tree...
finals fever

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby One Eyed » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:26 pm

Sherwood at Westminster it's done.
One Eyed
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Yank Man » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:12 pm

One Eyed wrote:Sherwood at Westminster it's done.

Correct One Eyed and you would know. Great coup for the Old Scholars. =D>
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby The Little Master » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:40 pm

any more on these guys that vh signed from
Henley. Heard they are trying to get them has 0 points. that can't happen?
The Little Master
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 pm

PK12 wrote:
GWW wrote:Re the Strath coach, which was asked about earlier on this thread - I think I read somewhere that Tony Burgess got that job.

About time south got rid of him....do feel for strath though. When the bloke went to coach amateurs he took broadview to div 2. A very negative coach! He might have a wealth of knowledge by no idea how to use it!

Wrong coach. Tony kept us out of D2 when we were struggling in 2006. Good coach hard as nails and a good bloke.

Mark Seelander took us to D2 the following year after Tony left.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby field of dreams » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:08 am

The Little Master wrote:any more on these guys that vh signed from
Henley. Heard they are trying to get them has 0 points. that can't happen?

From the other thread:

field of dreams wrote:I don't know that the league (GSFL) are making a stand as such, it is more about an individual case on its merits. My understanding is:

a) The memo from the SACFL listing the APPS changes recommended to the SA Footy commission dated 25 September. There was no mention of the addition of the Div 1,2 and 3 reserves to the Category 2 list.

b) Having not made finals VH was able to get on the front foot early to get our list sorted early for next year....signed 2 players (I believe there were 2 involved originally but probably only 1 in the end) under the knowledge that they would be zero pointers.

c) when this change came to light (via this forum!) the league was contacted and they had no knowledge of the change either. If it wasn't for this forum, we and they probably still wouldn't know of the change.

As far as I know, he/they will be assessed as zero pointers because of the above circumstances.

My issue was not the change but the lack of communication. What if we had already signed 3 3 pointers (thus filling our points quota) and 2 Div 1,2,3 reserves players??? Sanity seems to have prevailed.

Personally I don't have a problem with the change but then I am in no position to say whether D1, D2 or D3 should rank as 2 points.
I do know there are some damn good players running around in lower SAAFL grades for one reason or another (eg Perrie) and these guys are obvious targets for recruiting. But if clubs were prepared to stump up $$ for guys that aren't up to A grade standard in their respective leagues (points or no points) , then more fool them.

Our recruiting plans were made and actioned under the rules that we ( and everyone else) knew about. You say "that can't happen" ....Yet I'm sure if it were your club, you'd be expecting the same outcome.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby The Little Master » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 am

so sign players willy nilly and change the contract date and we are all good
The Little Master
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby field of dreams » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:55 am

Go for it if you think its worth the risk! :lol:
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:31 am

I think you will find that they will be classified as 2pts.

To give you the background the SAAFL was in a trial period in 2010 regarding the APPS.
As most clubs do we started recruiting players in late August onwards.
We signed 4 players to registration/clearance forms as well as the SACFL player contract.
We were then told in November at a meeting held at Thebarton Oval that we had to join the system or else by the SACFL. No more trial period. The league delegates voted it in at the November AGM. At that stage transfers between SAAFL clubs were to be 1pt then all of a sudden they became 3pts
Our club asked the same question thatyou are asking.
We signed those players on the basis that we were in a tria lperiod and the transfers within our league were 1pt at the time of signing.
We argued long and hard with the league and presented documents to the fact with signatures showing the date of signing and that you can't back date a rule as such when everybody was working under the rulles of the time in good faith. Those players were recuited under the rules of 1pt each as the trial period.
We took the fight all the way to the top of the SACFL appeals section in which I must admit they were pi$$ weak and did not want to know about and kept trying to refer back to the SAAFL and not know about it.
Eventually we got a ruling from the SACFL appeals board and the ruling was as follows.

No player shall be deemed to belong to another club until the the trabsfer has been delat with as of the 1st of Februray even thou they may have signed a contract. In other words he is not your played until the transfer goes though even thou he might have signed a transfer & contract form back in Oct of the previous year.

I know its crap but I think you will find out that these players will be worth 2 pts.
Last edited by FOURTH ESTATE on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:21 pm

This is gospel from the SACFL.

The only reason why your league did not know about this rule was due to the fact that your league rep to the SACFL failed to turn up at the last regional meeting when the vote was taken.

This has been advised to the GSFL executive by Glenn Rosser.

I'm sorry to say that it is now gospel and all D1R, D2R & D3R players are now worth 2pts when transferring outside the league.

FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Postby dogsrbarkin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 am

finals fever wrote:Seems as though they are after more players, they are trying to lure some players form the RMFL is what I'm hearing

Sherwood will do a great job at his new club, but GSFL grand final to Div 6 SAAFL??? You wouldn't think too many would go down that path because only money would entice them and Div 6 don't pay much. I wish him well but, top fella.[/quote]
If my sources are correct its morphettville park in the sfl not div 6[/quote]

Maybe the dogsrbarkin up the wrong tree...[/quote]

Fair call FF missed the boat on me mate sherwood but hey his decision other two clubs wanted him no doubting that,,,,,,,,,now turn the dog on to players
Goolwa signed a A grade Henley player and are chasing at least one more reported 1k plus
Myponga about to sign state country footballer from Hills league clay will need to part with some of that cash to land him
Strath signing ressies players from sanfl to fill their point quota.......Yank not much talk with only 9 points to spend :oops:
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby red strip roo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:59 am

The Little Master wrote:
countryboy wrote:Paul Rogan leaving Encounter Bay? Don't know how he went in GSFL but was a handy player at SAAFL when we played against him. Hear Sacred Heart is interested in getting him back as old scholar.

terrible player. seemed very unfit and really did not much at all.

BIG fella played ruck all year & won the medal with something like 39 votes, didnt pole any in 2 games...
red strip roo
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby red strip roo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:01 am

hey all, just after some info.. What's Mt Compass fc like & who is coaching them next season 2013? How'd they go this year?
red strip roo
Rookie

Postby Smashed Crab » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:23 am

red strip roo wrote:hey all, just after some info.. What's Mt Compass fc like & who is coaching them next season 2013? How'd they go this year?

Good family club. Very young team. They lost a lot of experience before the 2012 season, a package of talent went to Mt Barker with ex coach. Galb's is coaching again this year. Brought some good young talent across from his days coaching Noarlunga U18's. Have a few key players in the pipeline to be recruited this year, don't appear to be losing many. Bauldy may be having a crack at a higher level, he seemed pretty keen to go on again if that doesn't work out.
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Smashed Crab » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:25 am

Smashed Crab wrote:
red strip roo wrote:hey all, just after some info.. What's Mt Compass fc like & who is coaching them next season 2013? How'd they go this year?

Good family club. Very young team. They lost a lot of experience before the 2012 season, a package of talent went to Mt Barker with ex coach. Galb's is coaching again this year. Brought some good young talent across from his days coaching Noarlunga U18's. Have a few key players in the pipeline to be recruited this year, don't appear to be losing many. Bauldy may be having a crack at a higher level, he seemed pretty keen to go on again if that doesn't work out.

Finished 6th with 7-8 wins? Great effort after being tipped to struggle to win a game. Good culture.
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby red strip roo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:27 am

Smashed Crab wrote:
Smashed Crab wrote:

Finished 6th with 7-8 wins? Great effort after being tipped to struggle to win a game. Good culture.

Crab- are you from there ? or anyone on this site from the club ?
red strip roo
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy