Something i bet the SFL is envious of [emoji108][emoji108]

Wow Weeeeeee
What a round of results!
4th beats top
3rd beats bottom by a goal
6th beats 2nd
5th beats 8th just
7th who recently easily beat top beats 9th by 4 points

Just when i was predicting with confidence what the final 5 would be in order, it has been thrown into chaos after todays results
And after the season we've had, we shouldn't be surprised.
Willunga, Compass and Yank who have held the top 3 spots for the 2nd half of the season are all spluttering into the finals.

Willunga WILL finish Top
Yank currently 2nd could finish 4th if they lose to Strath and Creek beat Victor and Compass beat Goolwa?PE
Creeks 3rd (WOW ! Who saw that coming, won last 6 in a row) Will keep the double chance if they beat Victor and can finish 2nd 3rd or 4th depending on results
Compass who have the BEST % are 4th believe it or not and are now reliant on other results to get the double chance
Golwa?PE 5th need to beat Compass to ensure 5th spot or run the risk of missing out if Victor beat the Creek.
Strath are the other form team of the comp in the last 5 weeks but cant make it but can spoils Yanks party tho

One of the most even topsy turvy seasons ever in GSFL with basically 3 finals next week of vital importance b4 the finals even begin.

Willunga must still be in the box seat tho as finishing top under the final 5 system is huge even tho a fair % of minor premiers have failed to win the flag over the years.

More than ever, teams that have the ability to field close to their full side during the finals will go a long way as it seems injuries and absentees have had a major influence on results this year.
Credit to the Creeks on their season so far, coming from 9th last year with not a lot different side to then but have been fortunate to meet many teams when they have been vulnerable with players missing but have been good enough to take advantage of it. Dont think they can win the flag but the way this season has gone, NOTHING should surprise anyone. :shock:

I think a lot of country leagues would love to have the evenness of the GSFL atm.

Having said that , Willunga are a fair chance to win ALL 4 Flags and people may have reason to think otherwise.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby LuvsFooty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:47 am

Plenty of action in other grades too.

Junior colts - Mclaren attempting to knock bays out of 5th. Huge percentage separating them but Mclaren plays bottom side while bays will lose convincingly to willunga. Willunga player Arlo Draper on 98 goals. 2 away for the ton, has this been done in juniors before?

Senior colts - set in concrete, willunga clear favourites but they have lost a game

B grade - there's a race for 5th between strath and Mclaren who are both even on points. Both play teams below them but unlike previous years, the bottom sides aren't completely hopeless and only 6% separates them. Race also for the double chance with bays, compass and Goolwa on the same points. Bays will lose, but compass and Goolwa play eachother, so that is the key game to decide. Unless there's a draw.

A's - plenty of scenarios which have been mentioned earlier. Some teams building nicely, others with huge injury lists just hanging on for dear life
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby mutton cove » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 am

I hear that Ben Warren got a red card Saturday, if that's correct it's a 2 game suspension and that rules him out of coaching duties for the Sturt Football Club. If it's true they won't be happy.
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Tiger83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 am

mutton cove wrote:I hear that Ben Warren got a red card Saturday, if that's correct it's a 2 game suspension and that rules him out of coaching duties for the Sturt Football Club. If it's true they won't be happy.

Guess he finally got noticed sniping like he got away with the week before. Poor form from a bloke who should know better!!
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Bull 04 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 am

Tiger83 wrote:
mutton cove wrote:I hear that Ben Warren got a red card Saturday, if that's correct it's a 2 game suspension and that rules him out of coaching duties for the Sturt Football Club. If it's true they won't be happy.

Guess he finally got noticed sniping like he got away with the week before. Poor form from a bloke who should know better!!

You guys are going off a little early.

To begin with it was Ben's brother Nick and secondly it was in retaliation for a cheap shot he received prior. The square up was warranted but resulted in him getting a red card. The retaliator often gets the raw end of the deal.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby mutton cove » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Sorry, i was misinformed, so who was the thug that initiated an attack on poor young Saint Nick?
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Bull 04 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:26 pm

mutton cove wrote:Sorry, i was misinformed, so who was the thug that initiated an attack on poor young Saint Nick?

Hi MC,

Saint Nick took one to the midriff from Portlock. He did not receive a free and was left in obvious distress on the ground. Once recovered made be line for a stoppage on the other side of the ground and squared up. Portlock played it up to get the free kick which he did and goaled.

Red card issued and 2 games await.

Needed to be more discrete but the retaliator was in his rights in my opinion albeit crude.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Postby Luke15 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Bull 04 wrote:
mutton cove wrote:Sorry, i was misinformed, so who was the thug that initiated an attack on poor young Saint Nick?

Hi MC,

Saint Nick took one to the midriff from Portlock. He did not receive a free and was left in obvious distress on the ground. Once recovered made be line for a stoppage on the other side of the ground and squared up. Portlock played it up to get the free kick which he did and goaled.

Needed to be more discrete but the retaliator was in his rights in my opinion albeit crude.

This post is Crap because Portlock isn't even playing he is coaching isn't he
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Animus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Bull 04 wrote:

Hi MC,

Was Portlock wearing #2 Bull 04?
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times

Postby Animus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:06 pm

From BookFace: The McLaren Football Club are pleased to announce the appointment of Gianni Petrucci as our A Grade coach for the 2018 season and beyond.

You still around Yetti ?
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times

Postby Bull 04 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Luke15 wrote:
Bull 04 wrote:

Hi MC,

This post is Crap because Portlock isn't even playing he is coaching isn't he

My apologies it was meant to be Burdett.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Postby Bull 04 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Who do we all think will win the GSFL medal in 2017 (Individual and Club)

My tip would be Jarrod Kellock (LCFC)
Bull 04
Mini-League

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Bull 04 wrote:Who do we all think will win the GSFL medal in 2017 (Individual and Club)

cant imagine anyone gets around enough to make a balanced judgement and will generally be biased towards a player in their own club.

One would imagine that Kellock, Derham, Howell and Perrey would get probably 90% of votes by Creek players. So if any of those 4 polled really well i wouldn't be surprised.
I will refrain from having a tip on 2 counts
1/ I have little idea who consistently catches the eye of the umpires at other clubs
and
2/ Not overly a fan of individual awards in teams games so have little care factor :lol:
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Dewkicker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:56 am

jackpot jim wrote:
Bull 04 wrote:Who do we all think will win the GSFL medal in 2017 (Individual and Club)

cant imagine anyone gets around enough to make a balanced judgement and will generally be biased towards a player in their own club.

One would imagine that Kellock, Derham, Howell and Perrey would get probably 90% of votes by Creek players. So if any of those 4 polled really well i wouldn't be surprised.
1/ I have little idea who consistently catches the eye of the umpires at other clubs
and
2/ Not overly a fan of individual awards in teams games so have little care factor :lol:

Nathan Daniel (MC) for medal. By heaps.
Dewkicker
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Bull 04 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Dewkicker wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

and

Nathan Daniel (MC) for medal. By heaps.

From what I have seen and read he certainly has had a strong year and will be hard to beat.

Some great talent in this competition.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Postby Bull 04 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:43 pm

jackpot jim wrote:

and

Lets not take this all to seriously JJ. Go with your heart.

Nothing wrong with individual awards in team sports. Some teams only have success because of individuals and their brilliance. I get that there is no "I" in team but does it hurt to celebrate high achievement within a team.

I don't think so.

Using your logic the Brownlow, MVP, Coaches award and the Coleman are all self promoting.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Postby damian » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Anyone keen to have a stab at who will poll the most votes for each Club at the Mail Medal Count?

Mt Compass - N Daniel
Encounter Bay - Davis-Neale
Goolwa - D Fry
Myponga - S Ogilvie
Strathalbyn - B Symonds
Willunga - Beath
McLaren - B Gill
Yankalilla - J Sidebottom
Langhorne Creek - C Perrey
Victor - M Ross
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby jackpot jim » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:50 pm

Bull 04 wrote:
Lets not take this all to seriously JJ. Go with your heart.

Nothing wrong with individual awards in team sports. Some teams only have success because of individuals and their brilliance. I get that there is no "I" in team but does it hurt to celebrate high achievement within a team.

I don't think so.

Using your logic the Brownlow, MVP, Coaches award and the Coleman are all self promoting.

Have no problem in recognizing individual achievements in team sports, just not overly a fan of some of them.
Mail , Brownlows, Magarey Medals etc are mostly a lottery and too much is made of the winner as often there are players just as good if not better that dont receive it. It is what it is i guess? An umpires award. Umpires role 1st and foremost is to umpire the game. To expect them to accurately determine who is the fairest and most brilliant player is a bit much to expect. Then again there will always be different opinions no matter who selects them i guess? There has probably never been a bad player to have won such an award over the years but there sure have been plenty that have left the majority of people scratching their heads how such players won it ahead of others. One thing for sure, there is no disputing the Premiership winner.
To me , Coaches Awards and MVP are a more relevant award.
Goalkicking Awards are what they are. Statistically undeniable and factual so no dramas with them. Heard a rumor many years ago that a former goalkicking champ from many decades ago who received quite a lot of goalkicking awards just tossed them in a heap in a shed out back as he thought they were irrelevant as he was just 1 of 18 players in the team on the field at anyone time who all contributed to the goals kicked.
If only there was a way to measure goals saved by a defender and have a Defender of the year award to make it more equitable. :lol:

Good work by the programmers who must be physic
Creek after just having 3 home games in a row play away this week at Victor. Just as well as the Creek oval and township is currently a couple of feet under water. Hopefully the floods dont keep coming regularly as they did last Sept / Oct and the oval recovers within 2 weeks for the scheduled 2nd Semi Final
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Jimmy Recard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:45 am

jackpot jim wrote:
Good work by the programmers who must be physic
Creek after just having 3 home games in a row play away this week at Victor. Just as well as the Creek oval and township is currently a couple of feet under water. Hopefully the floods dont keep coming regularly as they did last Sept / Oct and the oval recovers within 2 weeks for the scheduled 2nd Semi Final

The only way through the creek is by boat atm... If the oval is NA for the second semi has a back up ground for any finals been published yet?
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint,
The greats were great because they paint a lot.
Jimmy Recard
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy