Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Keefy » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:34 pm

banterfordays wrote:Changing the subject

Is B Gibbs to Victor rumour worth anything?
Dare say Sam Overall could be down that way next season after announcing his retirement from league football

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:03 pm

Keefy wrote:
banterfordays wrote:Changing the subject

Is B Gibbs to Victor rumour worth anything?
Dare say Sam Overall could be down that way next season after announcing his retirement from league football

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Have heard both going to Victor. Time will tell i guess.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:37 pm

old fullback wrote:Massive game for the Creek this week Jackpot Jim, beat Willunga and probably a certainty for finals and lose, probably goodbye finals, Thoughts?

Creek 15 - 14
Willunga 5 - 12

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: The margin more than anything.
I guess that can happen when one team has everything to play for whilst the other has their position locked in regardless of the result.

And with that the Creeks have decimated Victor's and Strath's dreams of finals this season barring a miracle.

It's been a miraculous recovery from the Creeks this season since being 1 and 5 with a shocking % 6 rounds into the season.
Struggling with Covid and injuries as well as integrating some young talent into the team, they copped some hidings but didn't give up on the season.
A shock 1 point win in round 8 against Willunga gave them the belief they could still match the top teams in the 2nd half of the season. After easily accounting for E Bay, Losses to Victor and Strath saw them all but out of the finals race but they've bounced back with upset wins against Myp/Sellicks and Willunga for a 2nd time to fully deserve a crack at a 5th successive Grand Final appearance assuming they tick the boxes next Saturday by comfortably defeating Goolwa/PE to maintain their % gap over Victor and Strath if they win their matches.

McLaren obviously and clearly the team to beat and it will take a mighty effort to defeat them but the past has shown plenty of times teams in a similar position have stumbled at the last hurdle or 2.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:44 pm

Victor have pushed both Mclaren and Pongy but losing to Compass was their downfall. Compass played well, Victor played into their gameplan and the attrocious display by one umpire that day left many disillusioned and disgusted. A miracle could still see Strath or Victor get in .... Be interesting to see how fired up the Dees are after that big loss and if Victor can still bring their best this week.

But with Creek having beaten Willunga and Myponga they deserve their spot IMO.

Yes Mclaren are favourites but its still wide open at this point
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:38 pm

Semi finals here.

Go Pongy

Willunga Demons vs Myponga/Sellicks Mudlarks
Langhorne Creek vs Encounter Bay

Saturday, August 27, 2022
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:56 pm

goddy11 wrote:Semi finals here.

Go Pongy

Willunga Demons vs Myponga/Sellicks Mudlarks
Langhorne Creek vs Encounter Bay

Saturday, August 27, 2022

So Victor lost their last 4 matches to stumble from 4th to 7th :shock:
Strath lost key matches against Victor and Bays in rounds 13 & 15 that ultimately saw them finish 6th.
Creeks came from the clouds to snatch a finals spot with 5 wins from their last 6 matches.
Bays fell in to hang onto a finals spot winning only 3 of their last 8 which culminated in a massive 135 point loss to McLaren :shock:

Tips

Willunga get the nod over Myp/Sell Jjust. With both teams pretty well having the double chance wrapped up a long way from home an no chance of getting top, it's hard to know what effect that has had on the 2 teams phychy at times. In the back half of the season Willunga were beaten by Strath and thrashed by the Creeks only a few weeks ago whilst Myp/Sell havent been overly impressive at times with a draw against Strath along with losses to the Creeks and a thrashing at the hands of the Demons. All that means little today i guess as both sides battle to have 1st crack at McLaren who are looking invincible.

Creeks clearly have the better form in the 2nd half of the season than E Bay and will start a very slight favorite on Sunday. Bays havent had a great preparation coming into finals and are probably a bit lucky to maintain a spot having only beaten 1 top 5 team for the season and that was the Creeks by a whopping 99 points in round 2 when the Creeks were depleted early in the season. Whilst the Creeks have dropped 4 matches to teams outside the 5(mostly when depleted) they made up for that by beating Willunga TWICE as well as Myp/Sell and also the Bays the 2nd time around by 54 points.
Again it all means little tomorrow in a game that could go either way. Creeks are sweating on the fitness of a couple of key players that could have a major bearing on the result if they dont play.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:07 am

Willunga smashed Pongy. :(

Pongy will rebound next week. Can't see anyone beating McLaren though.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby limb » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:19 pm

I see that the GSFL have changed the name of the A Grade premiership cup from the Ross Faulkner Cup to the Kevin Curran Cup to recognise Kevin's many decades of service.

Does this change open the door for the GSFL to stop using Ross Faulkner footies and make the long awaited switch to Sherrins??
limb
Under 18s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Yungmuney » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:44 pm

limb wrote:I see that the GSFL have changed the name of the A Grade premiership cup from the Ross Faulkner Cup to the Kevin Curran Cup to recognise Kevin's many decades of service.

Does this change open the door for the GSFL to stop using Ross Faulkner footies and make the long awaited switch to Sherrins??

We can only hope. The only competition I’ve come across that still use them. Potentially the only competition using them and keeping Ross Faulkner in business.

On this week, Willunga to cause an upset. Experienced finals outfit counts for a lot in my opinion
Yungmuney
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby banterfordays » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:51 pm

limb wrote:I see that the GSFL have changed the name of the A Grade premiership cup from the Ross Faulkner Cup to the Kevin Curran Cup to recognise Kevin's many decades of service.

But then who would give grand final tickets to the old men in blue and red Jumpers?
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:30 am

2nd semi
McLaren v Willunga
McLaren have done nothing wrong to suggest they'll lose their 1st game for the season and i'd expect them to go straight through to the GF where they'll be a short priced favorite for the Flag that they're under pressure to win to add to their only A Grade Flag in Great Southern way back in 2003.
Tip - McLaren by 4 goals

1st Semi
Myp/Sellicks v L Creek
All the pressure will be on Myp/Sell in this one as they'll be devo if they get knocked out in straight sets after playing in their 1st A Grade Finals series since god knows when ??? 15, 20 25 years ago ?????
Compare that record to the Creeks who have won 11 of 12 Finals matches over the past 5 seasons and havent missed a GF since 2017.
Head to Head they are 1 win each this season.
With the home ground advantage the Creeks may have been slight favorites but last weeks win against E Bay has come at a huge cost with at least 3 key players ruled out this week with injury on top of Coach Perrey still not ready to resume after a 12 week layoff with a hamstring.
Unless the Mudlarks have a few missing as well. i see them progressing to the Prelim
Tip - Mudlarks by 4 goals (happy to be proven wrong tho :lol: )
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Yungmuney » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:33 am

Tom Derham back to the Creek for 2023. Getting recruiting work done early.
Yungmuney
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby Cheap Seats » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:06 pm

I saw on SA footballer Sam Overall announced at Victor already also. The Pies rumoured to have signed a playing coach
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby banterfordays » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:05 pm

What a crazy day of footy saturday was, in the senior colts, B grade and A grade all coming down a kick in the final minute to decide the result (with all 3 shots missing too!)

Bit dissapointing to only have 4 clubs represented on grand final day, wouldnt be surprised if each club walks away with 1 premiership
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby DoublebluTiger » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:01 pm

I hope Myponga-Sellicks cash in and get all 3. It would make for something different in the colts grade especially and winning all 3 would be a great way to complete a great year for the club. I'm sure there will be plenty of neutrals who will hitch their wagon to the M-S train on the day.
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Been liked: 50 times

Postby bluebagger » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:42 am

I gather this is wrong.

Just saw it on their FB page Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby old fullback » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:30 pm

bluebagger wrote:I gather this is wrong.

Just saw it on their FB page Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't see a problem
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Barkeroo » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:33 pm

Is it just that the A Grade and B Grade games are wrong way around maybe?
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:39 pm

A grade match up is wrong, they have amended it now
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby footy1992 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:09 am

Very quiet on the forum 3 days out from Grand Final weekend.

Weather looking pretty poor for Saturday which is disappointing. How is Goolwa Oval looking? Wouldn't have had much footy played on it in the last few weeks.

Willunga need to be at their top shelf best to. knock of Mclaren, maybe the rain might bring them closer
footy1992
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy