Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby kickittome » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Mail medal votes sorry only wrote a few down during the night.
A grade Rigby Barnes winner with 35 votes, runner up Peter Hoban 18,
Scott Hunt 16, Tom Carroll 14 plus 2 others tied on 14?
Reserves Rob Lyon (creek) 15, Ben crate 14, Jarrod pittaway 14, Matthew stopp 14, Ben longmire 13.
Life members: mitch portlock, Travis Griffen, Kym hosking & nick warren.
Club of year Encounter Bay, McCraken cup winner Encounter Bay.
Good night apart from Kevin Curran dropping a few sly comments. Bringing up portlock missing the goal after siren vs strath in gf 2010 was a bit harsh, especially when receiving a life member award for a great career.
kickittome
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby BJ Ernest » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Yes Kevin was his classy self during that moment. You'd hope moving forward he doesn't get the privilege of introducing again after that effort last night.

Obviously not to the same personal level but also had a dig at the Creeks for losing the 07 GF when going through undefeated that season when introducing Nick Warrens career statistics. How about just celebrating the good efforts and leave out the rubbish next time!

Aside from that it was a tremendous honour to receive league life membership and something I'm very proud of. The GSFL is an outstanding competition and has been very good to me over the years!

Congrats to Rigby, a very deserving winner and has taken his game to another level this season which showed by how comprehensive the margin was!
Last edited by BJ Ernest on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby Ramadash » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:11 pm

O.k Finals time
Sat -Enc Bay (rigby show) vs Goolwa (money men) The only way Goolwa are going to get even close to the Bay is slow the game right down to a slog fest! they have to basically bully there way to goal! bay hate the rough stuff, goolwa thrive on it push the boundaries till the knobs in green blow there peas. home ground advantage may help. Enc bay by 5 points

Sun - Strath vs Victor (young guns) on the bay oval. tough one to pick both have been hot and cold. If the young guns over come finals nerves they will be ok. they play a rolling maul tactics any way so if strath cant break the game open they win. But with finals experience i say Strath by 16 points

Ressies - who cares!!! its about being the best but if it matters no one will get anywhere near Willunga. put there name on the sheild now.
premierships is what it is all about
Ramadash
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby the big bang » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Ramadash wrote:
dogsrbarkin wrote:
the big bang wrote:R.Barnes (EBay)

That's it. Just Rigby. That's how clear cut it is.

YEP !! :shock: According to the men in white, green, etc is there anywhere we can see the votes per game.

They should put the votes and rounds up on their website for all to see
But they won't because they would realize they gave the votes to a player injured half the game or his lookalike!
Or even worse like they have for compasses playing coach who bowed to the pressure of his brother and gave him a game only to have the umpire write the wrong name down on votes slip!
Cost him a joint mail medal win! Thanks bro no more games for you

is this true? because i rekon i can recall a very similar instance in the SFL involving Andrew Bachmann. Pretty sure his brother got given votes when he was barely sighted for the day (may have even not actually played? not too sure). i think it was actually Josh Vick that was awarded the medal at the time, only to have it taken away later that night or the next day or something like that?
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Richard Chee Quee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:28 am

the big bang wrote:
Ramadash wrote:
dogsrbarkin wrote:

YEP !! :shock: According to the men in white, green, etc is there anywhere we can see the votes per game.

But they won't because they would realize they gave the votes to a player injured half the game or his lookalike!
Or even worse like they have for compasses playing coach who bowed to the pressure of his brother and gave him a game only to have the umpire write the wrong name down on votes slip!

is this true? because i rekon i can recall a very similar instance in the SFL involving Andrew Bachmann. Pretty sure his brother got given votes when he was barely sighted for the day (may have even not actually played? not too sure). i think it was actually Josh Vick that was awarded the medal at the time, only to have it taken away later that night or the next day or something like that?

happened to Owen Love at Encounter Bay. last game of the year owen kicks 5 or 6 playing in the middle and is clearly best on ground. gets given 2 votes. jem nanks sat the first 3 quarters on the bench, came on in the last and won a couple of centre clearances and gets given 3 votes. owen was runner up by a vote that year if memory serves.
Richard Chee Quee
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby dogsrbarkin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:45 am

Anybody else see almost footy legends last night, was great to see little old Mt Compass feature and win :D Great goal Ziggy and awesome camera work young Dylan Smith keep up the good work ;)
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Been liked: 5 times

Postby dogsrbarkin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:03 pm

DRAW in the A's....Strath win in extra time !
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Been liked: 5 times

Postby BZB27 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:55 pm

dogsrbarkin wrote:DRAW in the A's....Strath win in extra time !

Wow left at half time and thought Strath would do it easily
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby field of dreams » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Proud of the lads. To come from 5 odd goals down at half time to take the lead in the last showed real character. Could have been a different story if they'd finished off their work with better conversion, but bad kicking is as they say, bad football. Well done to Strath.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:11 pm

the big bang wrote:
Ramadash wrote:
dogsrbarkin wrote:

Announcer read out "Andrew Bachmann" yet on the screen it said "Simon Bachmann". We alerted the officials immediately to check as it was close. They proceeded to continue on with the count, announce the winner, present the medal and then have a look at the particular round that was in question. Red faces resulted.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby field of dreams » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:41 pm

field of dreams wrote:Proud of the lads. To come from 5 odd goals down at half time to take the lead in the last showed real character. Could have been a different story if they'd finished off their work with better conversion, but bad kicking is as they say, bad football. Well done to Strath.

On a positive note - 2 Senior colts played in our A grade yesterday...and kicked half our goals between them. Well done lads.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby LuvsFooty » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:52 pm

I would be very interested in how many young blokes have debuted in season 2015. Seems to be some brilliant youngsters coming through the ranks. We have had 7, 3 of those are current colts, 2 played on the weekend. With the "new system" coming in, this is very good for the GSFL
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby field of dreams » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:34 pm

LuvsFooty wrote:I would be very interested in how many young blokes have debuted in season 2015. Seems to be some brilliant youngsters coming through the ranks. We have had 7, 3 of those are current colts, 2 played on the weekend. With the "new system" coming in, this is very good for the GSFL

Agreed LF, as a club that has had success at colts level in recent times we "should" be well placed with the 'new system'.

We've played 41 guys in the A's this year, 28 have played colts for the club.

Of the 21 that played yesterday, 14 have played colts for the club, plus 1 other is the eldest brother of a family that moved to town and 1 other moved to town 5 odd years ago. The other 5 would be 'imports'. (2 key imports out injured)

We had 4 debuts (from junior ranks) in 2015, 3 played yesterday. 3 of which are only second year colts too.
Another 5 played A's through the year that are in their first year out of colts but they all played some games in 2014 and 2 did in 2013 too.

Of those 9, 5 played yesterday.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby The eclipse fan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:28 am

I hope my son follows on and plays senior football considering this year was a right off for him and his team.

Having strong senior club for first time in long time meant he didn't get a taste of senior footy.
Well done to Goolwa footy club thoroughly enjoyed my day Saturday
Live Forever
The eclipse fan
Mini-League

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Ramadash » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:25 am

Semi Finals times
Saturday
Compass vs Enc Bay - gonna be a ripper game! Home ground advantage for the dogs but didn't help them last time they played.if any of the dogs forwards get off the leash look out! Not sure they can contain them twice! Enc bay rely on loose players to create so if the dogs control them they will win by 20 - 30 points and be howling there way through to the gf not sure anyone at compass can remember what a gf looks like!
Ressies Willunga vs mclaren - no contest even with the A grade captain playing reserves finals for mclarens! Loots won't help put Willunga on the Ressies shield now!

Sunday
Goolwa strath. - Goolwa didn't even throw a punch last Saturday! No Robertson no Goolwa hold him strath win! Elliot will kick 5 and Strath will win by 18 points meaning money men wasted 120 G to exit in straight sets!
Ressies! Compass vs creek - with the back stabbing in fighting around compass reserves and the fact creek were awesome on Sunday I'll say creek by 42 points! I so hope compass can sort there game out they were shocking last Saturday and there's a couple of guys deserve to go out of the game under better circumstances!

The best will rise like a Phoenix
premierships is what it is all about
Ramadash
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times

Postby the big bang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:34 pm

Ramadash wrote:Semi Finals times
Saturday
Compass vs Enc Bay - gonna be a ripper game! Home ground advantage for the dogs but didn't help them last time they played.if any of the dogs forwards get off the leash look out! Not sure they can contain them twice! Enc bay rely on loose players to create so if the dogs control them they will win by 20 - 30 points and be howling there way through to the gf not sure anyone at compass can remember what a gf looks like!
Ressies Willunga vs mclaren - no contest even with the A grade captain playing reserves finals for mclarens! Loots won't help put Willunga on the Ressies shield now!

Sunday
Goolwa strath. - Goolwa didn't even throw a punch last Saturday! No Robertson no Goolwa hold him strath win! Elliot will kick 5 and Strath will win by 18 points meaning money men wasted 120 G to exit in straight sets!
Ressies! Compass vs creek - with the back stabbing in fighting around compass reserves and the fact creek were awesome on Sunday I'll say creek by 42 points! I so hope compass can sort there game out they were shocking last Saturday and there's a couple of guys deserve to go out of the game under better circumstances!

The best will rise like a Phoenix

care to elaborate mate?
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby oldbomber » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Magpies got up in a thriller today by 2 or 3pts not sure. Strath player took a 100% clear mark in the goal square with a minute to go and umpire said he couldnt see-what a total spud. Absolutely disgusting and cost them a spot in prelim. Hopefully that ump takes no further part in finals for everyone elses sake.

Other than that ripping game of footy though. Bays still looking the goods for the flag I reckon
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:59 pm

How disgusting is that? An umpire made a mistake. They must be human after all contrary to what most think? Lol

Just maybe the 13 behinds Strath kicked/rushed compared to only 3 by G/PE cost them a spot in the Prelim Final?

Straths luck was due to run out after scraping into the 5 after losing to lowly Yank and then winning in extra time last week.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby oldbomber » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:18 pm

jackpot jim wrote:How disgusting is that? An umpire made a mistake. They must be human after all contrary to what most think? Lol

Just maybe the 13 behinds Strath kicked/rushed compared to only 3 by G/PE cost them a spot in the Prelim Final?

Straths luck was due to run out after scraping into the 5 after losing to lowly Yank and then winning in extra time last week.

All valid points ^ Was a big mistake in the context of the game and most probably changed the result is all i was getting at. Yeah 13 behinds didnt help either thats for sure, incredible accuracy by maggies and to their credit they really wanted it in the last quarter. With all their injuries not sure they can get over compass this week but good luck to them
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby LuvsFooty » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:20 pm

There was also the goal in the 3rd that we kicked that looked to be clearly touched and Fergusson's mark in the last was touch and go, so a couple of crucial ones. On the flip side, the reversal against us in the second when we were lining up for goal was ridiculous and the free and 50 Strath got for a certainty in the 3rd was dubious. How far back to you go?

Hats off to Strath. 3-6 at the turning point and a different side with work and injuries each week makes missing a prelim by 2 points look pretty decent. Burgess and Munn coming in to the rooms afterwards to congratulate us and to wish us luck for next week, showed how professional they are.
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy