Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

by Down the Hill » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:17 am

Cheap Seats wrote:Can anyone from Langhorne Creek believe Riley Clamp was allowed to play tonight? Surely there will be an investigation lodged.
Rule 15.4 Clearly states- Any player granted a permit under Regulation 15.2 (Applications are to be lodged with the nominated representative from the SANFL) shall only represent one (1) club on any given weekend. He played for the Crows on Saturday?

The Regs were updated in Nov 22 and Reg 15 alone is an example of the Regs still being outdated or poorly drafted. Reg 15 still refers to Sporting Pulse. The online system hasn’t been called that for at least 6 or 7 years. But the quirk with any game not played on a Saturday or Sunday is the term weekend. The intent of the rule no doubt is ‘the same round’ but Tuesday is not the weekend so the loophole has been created by a lack of lateral thinking around the possibility of games being played other than on the weekend. Having said that. If the GSFL regularly plays this Anzac game that can occur on a weekday then they should ensure their own Regs close this loophole.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

by Cheap Seats » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:15 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:Can anyone from Langhorne Creek believe Riley Clamp was allowed to play tonight? Surely there will be an investigation lodged.
Rule 15.4 Clearly states- Any player granted a permit under Regulation 15.2 (Applications are to be lodged with the nominated representative from the SANFL) shall only represent one (1) club on any given weekend. He played for the Crows on Saturday?

The Regs were updated in Nov 22 and Reg 15 alone is an example of the Regs still being outdated or poorly drafted. Reg 15 still refers to Sporting Pulse. The online system hasn’t been called that for at least 6 or 7 years. But the quirk with any game not played on a Saturday or Sunday is the term weekend. The intent of the rule no doubt is ‘the same round’ but Tuesday is not the weekend so the loophole has been created by a lack of lateral thinking around the possibility of games being played other than on the weekend. Having said that. If the GSFL regularly plays this Anzac game that can occur on a weekday then they should ensure their own Regs close this loophole.

I recall last year there were players reported in the game, and the Tribunal didn't meet (because 4 days isn't enough time to get a panel together :roll: ) until the following week, so reported players were free to play that Saturday, but could have been sanctioned and not free to play the week after :shock: :roll: Luckily they got off, so the integrity of the round was maintained, but could have easily not been based on the process
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

by Pag » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:00 pm

Watched my first GSFL game at Strath last night. Huge crowd, whole spectacle done really well (both clubs).

Creeks held on and matched Strath for the first quarter but Strath's class eventually shone through. Ball use and ability to link up with hands for Strath was super. Couldn't fault Creeks effort but didn't quite have the polish across the board. Clamp was an easy choice for the medal with his seven, thought Godfrey was really good for Strath too.

You guys have a great comp down here, the atmosphere was super and was a proper ad for country footy done right.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

by inthestands » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:25 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:
Snap Kick Ninja wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:
mutton cove wrote:I see air fares have come down substantially since last season.

I dont think Ahmat Watkins is playing this year. I cant understand how Myponga have managed to escape sanction, especially given Jervois were for the EXACT thing. Major sponsorship has its perks??

Think you’ll find they called the league prior to every game Ahmat Watkins played to make sure everything was above board. Not sure where the loophole was but its behind them now, so clear up your tears and move on.

The loophole is obvious, just no one is willing to admit it. Pump enough Cash into the SANFL and they look the other way in spite of their own Black and white rules. Why have them if the don't administer them equally, fairly, and let all clubs know if there are exceptions made?

Amazing how ignorant and misinformed people are who speculate this stuff. Very different scenario to Jervois. I know a couple of people close to it with the difference being the player did not personally benefit ie, the club didn't pay the Darwin lad to then get his own flights like Jervois. Club paid flights and cleared with SANFL auditors prior to season. Throwing crap at hard working local business owners pretty low. Local company supports local footy and you want to throw crap at them.
Every club has the opportunity to speak with the auditors to clarify any rules and their application. More clubs should do it. Kudos to Myponga I say.
inthestands
Mini-League

Been liked: 11 times

by Cheap Seats » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:30 pm

I'll take your point about local businesses. Fair enough!

But Snap Kick Ninja is saying they called the league prior to every game & I'm wondering why you would need to do that if you're not doing anything wrong?
And you're saying if I'm reading your intent correctly "Inthestands" that you know people involved have admitted that yes the club payed over the allocation of $400 per week per player (this is easily traced btw and I can say that no flights for the majority of those games were $400 or under, so that's categoric), but had that overpayment approved by the SANFL.
How could that possibly be a fair an equitable decision without making that amendment to a rule known to every other club under their jurisdiction. You also state the player didn't personally benefit, well I'm not sure what reflects personal benefit more then a club paying for your flights above what the rules state they are allowed to pay, when any other player would have to fit the remainder of the bill them self (eg: everyone else flight was $700- club pays $400 player pays $300)
And by the way does this now set a precedent for "No personal benefit" for other sections of the Community Football Rules and Regulations regarding payment options? Can a club now pay (based on the same logic) a players accommodation & Limo to and from games, as the expense of the trip has been made redundant by this decision.
No hiding it anymore, and they MAY have got it signed off, but that doesn't make it right.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

by jackpot jim » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:24 am

Round 3

Creek v McLaren - McLaren the clear tip here to make it 23 wins on the trot. Creeks are up against it coming off a 4 day break where they've lost 3 players due to concussion protocols.

Myp / Sellicks should comfortably account for Goolwa / PE at Mudlark Park.

Victor v Strath - This is the game of the round. Leaning towards Victor. Strath were good Tuesday night against Creek but without Clamp and off a 4 day break Victor have all the favours.

Willunga should be too good for E Bay who have had a tough start to the season

Yank v Mt Compass - Compass shouldn't have too many problems in chalking up a win here
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

by jackpot jim » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:25 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Round 3

Creek v McLaren - McLaren the clear tip here to make it 23 wins on the trot. Creeks are up against it coming off a 4 day break where they've lost 3 players due to concussion protocols.
What a game ! Creeks certainly had a point to prove after their poor showing Tuesday night and with the late withdrawl of Mitch Cleggett along with Helyer it was gonna be a huge mountain to climb for them. It was a game played under finals like pressure and a real dogfight for 3 quarters with never more than a goal separating the teams. Could the Creeks keep it up in the last quarter off a 4 day break? McLaren kicked the 1st to go 7 points up whilst the Hawks tried to hang in their. The move of Clifford from down back to up forward paid dividends as he provided a target and the Creeks then broke the game open in a 10 minute burst kicking 5 unanswered goals with Clifford with 3 of them to put them 22 points up close to the 20 min mark and one would think they'd had broken McLaren BUT a team doesnt win 22 on the trot by fluke and they kept the pressure on looking to get back into it with time running out. They threw everything at the Creeks and when the Hawks cracked twice with basic defensive errors to gift McLaren 2 goals they smelt blood. Creeks tried valiantly to hold on before a debatable HTB free to McLaren in front of goal put them in front with 2 minutes to go. They then quickly sealed the win with another to make it 23 on the trot and left the Hawks players and supporters pondering what just happened in the last 10 minutes
Mudlarks won by about 10 goals

Victor v Strath - This is the game of the round. Leaning towards Victor. Strath were good Tuesday night against Creek but without Clamp and off a 4 day break Victor have all the favours.
Well wasn't this a surprise result. Not so much Victor winning but the margin :shock: Clamp did play as wasn't required for the Crows but it made little difference as Victor ran rampant to win by about 14 goals
Willunga appears to have had a fairly regulation win over the Hapless Bays by about 6 goals

Yank v Mt Compass - Compass shouldn't have too many problems in chalking up a win here

Yank appear in for a very long season as Compass won by 13 goals. A positive for Yank tho is that they did win the B Grade which is at least some consolation and may be a sign that whilst Compass might not be too far off the mark in A Grade, depth may be an issue if they cop injuries ?
jackpot jim
Coach

by goddy11 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:56 pm

I watched Pongy yesterday. Took my water bag treck from TTG. I was most impressed with their 4-quarter display. The B grade game was amazing. Goolwa failed to score even a point. 22.10-142 to 0.0
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

by DoublebluTiger » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:14 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:Round 3

What a game ! Creeks certainly had a point to prove after their poor showing Tuesday night and with the late withdrawl of Mitch Cleggett along with Helyer it was gonna be a huge mountain to climb for them. It was a game played under finals like pressure and a real dogfight for 3 quarters with never more than a goal separating the teams. Could the Creeks keep it up in the last quarter off a 4 day break? McLaren kicked the 1st to go 7 points up whilst the Hawks tried to hang in their. The move of Clifford from down back to up forward paid dividends as he provided a target and the Creeks then broke the game open in a 10 minute burst kicking 5 unanswered goals with Clifford with 3 of them to put them 22 points up close to the 20 min mark and one would think they'd had broken McLaren BUT a team doesnt win 22 on the trot by fluke and they kept the pressure on looking to get back into it with time running out. They threw everything at the Creeks and when the Hawks cracked twice with basic defensive errors to gift McLaren 2 goals they smelt blood. Creeks tried valiantly to hold on before a debatable HTB free to McLaren in front of goal put them in front with 2 minutes to go. They then quickly sealed the win with another to make it 23 on the trot and left the Hawks players and supporters pondering what just happened in the last 10 minutes
Mudlarks won by about 10 goals

Well wasn't this a surprise result. Not so much Victor winning but the margin :shock: Clamp did play as wasn't required for the Crows but it made little difference as Victor ran rampant to win by about 14 goals
Willunga appears to have had a fairly regulation win over the Hapless Bays by about 6 goals

Yank appear in for a very long season as Compass won by 13 goals. A positive for Yank tho is that they did win the B Grade which is at least some consolation and may be a sign that whilst Compass might not be too far off the mark in A Grade, depth may be an issue if they cop injuries ?

Yank Junior colts also won their first game in 2 years apparently.
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

by am Bays » Mon May 01, 2023 2:50 pm

goddy11 wrote:I watched Pongy yesterday. Took my water bag treck from TTG. I was most impressed with their 4-quarter display. The B grade game was amazing. Goolwa failed to score even a point. 22.10-142 to 0.0

B-Grade Boys were peeved they missed out on the carton the week before by 1 goal

Would've been going all out on Sat.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

by goddy11 » Mon May 01, 2023 7:53 pm

am Bays wrote:
goddy11 wrote:I watched Pongy yesterday. Took my water bag treck from TTG. I was most impressed with their 4-quarter display. The B grade game was amazing. Goolwa failed to score even a point. 22.10-142 to 0.0

B-Grade Boys were peeved they missed out on the carton the week before by 1 goal

Would've been going all out on Sat.

Yeah. You don't want to see that score. They had a shot at goal near the end, but the kick was a shocker. Pongy B Grade is good. I saw them demolish TTG is a trial match over a month ago. TTG smashed the A Grade same day.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

by damian » Mon May 01, 2023 8:02 pm

Really tight looking comp this season. McLaren in an amazing finish on Saturday, very Collingwood like. They’re still the team to beat, but aren’t as far ahead at this stage as they were last year.

Willunga will be at the pointy end all season, Pongy at their best will challenge, and Victor look to the side to round out the top four. Creek & Strath on their day will trouble all these top sides, but if they’re not at their best they’ll be easily beaten like we saw on Saturday between Victor & Strath.

Eight ex Goolwa-Port Elliot footballers in the Victor A Grade; Kleinig x 2, Overall, Wiese, Miller, Cooper x 2 & Neville. I think six left as juniors/straight out of juniors, few more at the Bays and a few others in other Leagues. Would be a decent side for the Maggies had player retention not been an issue over the last decade.

I think Victor are a real chance to go all the way this year, they’ll get better as the year goes on and they get more playing time together.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

by Cheap Seats » Mon May 01, 2023 8:55 pm

Has anyone heard that the Creeks might be challenging the ANZAC day result? Was doing the rounds at Willunga on the weekend
Cheap Seats
Rookie

by field of dreams » Tue May 02, 2023 4:16 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:Has anyone heard that the Creeks might be challenging the ANZAC day result? Was doing the rounds at Willunga on the weekend
Well they should be asking questions that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

by bluebagger » Tue May 02, 2023 4:38 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:Has anyone heard that the Creeks might be challenging the ANZAC day result? Was doing the rounds at Willunga on the weekend
On what grounds ?
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

by field of dreams » Tue May 02, 2023 4:55 pm

bluebagger wrote:
On what grounds ?
See post #4119, #4121

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

by damian » Tue May 02, 2023 10:12 pm

field of dreams wrote:

I think Down The Hill answered the question about Clamps eligibility to play on ANZAC Day extremely well. The rule is poorly written, stating that a player (in this instance, Clamp) is not eligible to play for two teams in the same weekend.

As ANZAC Day was not on the weekend, he was eligible to play after lining up for Adelaide in the SANFL on the Saturday prior.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

by jackpot jim » Wed May 03, 2023 12:17 am

damian wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

I think Down The Hill answered the question about Clamps eligibility to play on ANZAC Day extremely well. The rule is poorly written, stating that a player (in this instance, Clamp) is not eligible to play for two teams in the same weekend.

As ANZAC Day was not on the weekend, he was eligible to play after lining up for Adelaide in the SANFL on the Saturday prior.

Agree.
Tho the intent of the by law may be that he shouldn't have played, it's not written that way. Play on
Having a brief chat last Thursday about it to a couple of people at the Club that would be in a position to take it further, the vibe i got was that whilst they were a little surprised he played the bigger issue was how poor the Creeks played against Strath and were committed to channeling their energies into the task of toppling McLaren on the Saturday which they just failed to do #-o
jackpot jim
Coach

by cracka » Wed May 03, 2023 8:19 am

damian wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

Not sure how the rule is written in the HFL but I heard a player was not allowed to play for Mt Barker U18s on the Tuesday after playing for Sturt on the Saturday because it was the same round
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

by field of dreams » Wed May 03, 2023 9:56 am

damian wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

Yes DTH post made sense and I appreciate LCs position. But if the question doesn’t get asked, the poorly written regs won’t get fixed….then they might have the same problem next year!

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy