Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Wed May 03, 2023 9:57 am

damian wrote:
field of dreams wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:Has anyone heard that the Creeks might be challenging the ANZAC day result? Was doing the rounds at Willunga on the weekend
Well they should be asking questions that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Down The Hill answered the question about Clamps eligibility to play on ANZAC Day extremely well. The rule is poorly written, stating that a player (in this instance, Clamp) is not eligible to play for two teams in the same weekend.

As ANZAC Day was not on the weekend, he was eligible to play after lining up for Adelaide in the SANFL on the Saturday prior.
Yes DTH post made sense and I appreciate LCs position. But if the question doesn’t get asked, the poorly written regs won’t get fixed….then they might have the same problem next year!

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby field of dreams » Wed May 03, 2023 10:28 am

inthestands wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:
Snap Kick Ninja wrote:
Cheap Seats wrote:I dont think Ahmat Watkins is playing this year. I cant understand how Myponga have managed to escape sanction, especially given Jervois were for the EXACT thing. Major sponsorship has its perks??

Think you’ll find they called the league prior to every game Ahmat Watkins played to make sure everything was above board. Not sure where the loophole was but its behind them now, so clear up your tears and move on.

The loophole is obvious, just no one is willing to admit it. Pump enough Cash into the SANFL and they look the other way in spite of their own Black and white rules. Why have them if the don't administer them equally, fairly, and let all clubs know if there are exceptions made?

Amazing how ignorant and misinformed people are who speculate this stuff. Very different scenario to Jervois. I know a couple of people close to it with the difference being the player did not personally benefit ie, the club didn't pay the Darwin lad to then get his own flights like Jervois. Club paid flights and cleared with SANFL auditors prior to season. Throwing crap at hard working local business owners pretty low. Local company supports local footy and you want to throw crap at them.
Every club has the opportunity to speak with the auditors to clarify any rules and their application. More clubs should do it. Kudos to Myponga I say.

Why have rules hey?

I know of a player that moved interstate during the season. He flew back to play and he had to pay the excess over $400 out of his own pocket. As he should have done.

“A Club may pay up to $400 per week per player for air travel. This travel allowance applies to all official League sanctioned matches and finals with such costs shown (with proof) on the necessary Declaration of Payments documentation”

Last edited by field of dreams on Sat May 06, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Wed May 03, 2023 10:32 am

Cheap Seats wrote:I'll take your point about local businesses. Fair enough!

But Snap Kick Ninja is saying they called the league prior to every game & I'm wondering why you would need to do that if you're not doing anything wrong?
And you're saying if I'm reading your intent correctly "Inthestands" that you know people involved have admitted that yes the club payed over the allocation of $400 per week per player (this is easily traced btw and I can say that no flights for the majority of those games were $400 or under, so that's categoric), but had that overpayment approved by the SANFL.
How could that possibly be a fair an equitable decision without making that amendment to a rule known to every other club under their jurisdiction. You also state the player didn't personally benefit, well I'm not sure what reflects personal benefit more then a club paying for your flights above what the rules state they are allowed to pay, when any other player would have to fit the remainder of the bill them self (eg: everyone else flight was $700- club pays $400 player pays $300)
And by the way does this now set a precedent for "No personal benefit" for other sections of the Community Football Rules and Regulations regarding payment options? Can a club now pay (based on the same logic) a players accommodation & Limo to and from games, as the expense of the trip has been made redundant by this decision.
No hiding it anymore, and they MAY have got it signed off, but that doesn't make it right.
Well said.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby mutton cove » Fri May 05, 2023 5:08 pm

It appears to me that over the past three or four year's,the rule's have become grey where the were previously black and white. Now we are being treated like mushrooms.
mutton cove
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Cheap Seats » Fri May 05, 2023 6:48 pm

mutton cove wrote:It appears to me that over the past three or four year's,the rule's have become grey where the were previously black and white. Now we are being treated like mushrooms.

It's Ok Mutton, have your players catch Limo's to the games, still travelling the same distance, because extra expense is now "No personal gain" Very very clear precedent created.
In fact I think someone should send a memo to all SA clubs now letting them know, flight expenses no longer have a cap! If our governing body is not going to be transparent, and like you say treat us like mushrooms, then we should share it between ourselves.
I think they still have a player coming from Darwin BTW. Flights this week $305 to Adelaide, and $212 back to Darwin on Sat night or $249 Sunday morning. Next week the same and the week after even more expensive at $272 Friday and $304 on Sat or $406 Sunday
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby field of dreams » Fri May 05, 2023 9:50 pm

Snap Kick Ninja wrote:Think you’ll find they called the league prior to every game Ahmat Watkins played to make sure everything was above board. Not sure where the loophole was but its behind them now, so clear up your tears and move on.

As if the league would be dishing out advice on contracts, travel or salary caps. That’s ridiculous.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby banterfordays » Sun May 07, 2023 12:22 am

Anyone at the Compass v Willunga game? Quite the upset
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby jackpot jim » Mon May 15, 2023 1:24 am

banterfordays wrote:Anyone at the Compass v Willunga game? Quite the upset

Definitely a surprise but maybe we have all under estimated Compass and over estimated Willunga?

Round 5 no real surprises apart from maybe the margin in the Strath v Compass game with the Bulldogs getting right on top after half time to run out easy winners and cement 2nd spot on the ladder and send a message that thry're serious Finals contenders. Whilst Strath are really confusing everyone with their inconsistent form. Impressive wins over Myp/Sellicks and then belted L Creek but since have had big losses in their last 3 matches. :?

E Bay had a regulation win over the hapless Yankalilla who were at least more competitive this week

Victor got the job done over Goolwa/PE but not before some worrying times only being 12 points up at 3/4 time but it was all one way traffic in the last term to run out 45 point winners

The 2 matches of the day certainly didn't disappoint with 6 point margins in both games.

Mclaren extended their winning streak to 25 by coming from behind to pip the Mudlarks by 6 behinds in a low scoring affair.

Willunga also came from behind to beat the Creeks also by 6 behinds after Bass took a mark with the scores level and then slotted the winning goal after the siren from about 25 metres to steal a win after they did their best to lose it all day. Willunga had the chance to be 4 - 5 goals up at half time after dominating the 2nd term but atrocious kicking for goal kept the Hawks in the game. The undermanned Hawks missing key Forwards in Helyer & Howell scrapped their way to a 2 goal lead into time on in the last term but as they did against McLaren 2 weeks ago couldn't get the job done in the last 5 minutes to let 2 invaluable wins slip from their grasp in a season thats shaping up to be VERY competitive where wins will have to be hard earnt week in week out.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby bluebagger » Mon May 15, 2023 9:10 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
banterfordays wrote:Anyone at the Compass v Willunga game? Quite the upset

Definitely a surprise but maybe we have all under estimated Compass and over estimated Willunga?

Round 5 no real surprises apart from maybe the margin in the Strath v Compass game with the Bulldogs getting right on top after half time to run out easy winners and cement 2nd spot on the ladder and send a message that thry're serious Finals contenders. Whilst Strath are really confusing everyone with their inconsistent form. Impressive wins over Myp/Sellicks and then belted L Creek but since have had big losses in their last 3 matches. :?

E Bay had a regulation win over the hapless Yankalilla who were at least more competitive this week

Victor got the job done over Goolwa/PE but not before some worrying times only being 12 points up at 3/4 time but it was all one way traffic in the last term to run out 45 point winners

The 2 matches of the day certainly didn't disappoint with 6 point margins in both games.

Mclaren extended their winning streak to 25 by coming from behind to pip the Mudlarks by 6 behinds in a low scoring affair.

Willunga also came from behind to beat the Creeks also by 6 behinds after Bass took a mark with the scores level and then slotted the winning goal after the siren from about 25 metres to steal a win after they did their best to lose it all day. Willunga had the chance to be 4 - 5 goals up at half time after dominating the 2nd term but atrocious kicking for goal kept the Hawks in the game. The undermanned Hawks missing key Forwards in Helyer & Howell scrapped their way to a 2 goal lead into time on in the last term but as they did against McLaren 2 weeks ago couldn't get the job done in the last 5 minutes to let 2 invaluable wins slip from their grasp in a season thats shaping up to be VERY competitive where wins will have to be hard earnt week in week out.
Jim

Will the Tigers win a game this season ?
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby DEEPSOUTHBLUE » Tue May 16, 2023 1:10 pm

I can’t see Yank winning a game , however oddly enough if the can minimise the blowouts from the previous years they may see it as some what successful. I have heard ( not certain if correct ) that the coach has signed on for 3 years , if so then that’s good news for the Club . At least he knew and accepted what was ahead of him.
DEEPSOUTHBLUE
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

Postby DEEPSOUTHBLUE » Tue May 16, 2023 1:11 pm

I can’t see Yank winning a game , however oddly enough if the can minimise the blowouts from the previous years they may see it as some what successful. I have heard ( not certain if correct ) that the coach has signed on for 3 years , if so then that’s good news for the Club . At least he knew and accepted what was ahead of him.
DEEPSOUTHBLUE
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Cheap Seats » Mon May 22, 2023 8:57 am

John Butcher another $igning for Myponga. :roll: :roll:
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon May 22, 2023 8:24 pm

Cheap Seats wrote:John Butcher another $igning for Myponga. :roll: :roll:

March 4th Nightcliff Tigers FC - NTFL

April 1st & 22nd Maffra FC - Gippsland League

April 25th South Cairns Cutters FC - Cairns FL

May 6th & 13th Maffra FC

May 20th Myponga / Sellicks FC - GSFL

Can anyone explain all this ??
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Mon May 22, 2023 8:50 pm

DEEPSOUTHBLUE wrote:I can’t see Yank winning a game , however oddly enough if the can minimise the blowouts from the previous years they may see it as some what successful. I have heard ( not certain if correct ) that the coach has signed on for 3 years , if so then that’s good news for the Club . At least he knew and accepted what was ahead of him.

Seems Yank where more than competitive Saturday against Willunga surprisingly only going down by 7 goals after being within 18 points at 3/4 time :o
Despite that it would be a shock to see them beat any team for the rest of the season apart from Goolwa / PE when they meet again in Round 10.

Besides Strath belting Glw/ PE on the back of a 10 goal to 1 last term, Round 6 was a great round looking at the scores.

McLaren just keep answering every challenge put in front of them again prevailing in a tight finish, 13 points to spare over Victor to record win no. 26 on the trot.

E Bay came within 3 points of causing the upset over Myp / Sellicks in a low scoring scrap at Mudlark Park.

L Creek finally won a close one, after last minute losses to McLaren and Willunga in recent weeks, their match was heading for a cliffhanger finish again before gripping on to an 8 point win over Compass who have been in great form.

The wash up is that it seems for the rest of the season there should be at least 3 cracking games each weekend given how close the comp looks to be from 1 down to 8 atm with few easy wins there for the taking.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 22, 2023 9:31 pm

Whats the issue?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3500 times

Great Southern Football League

Postby bluebagger » Mon May 22, 2023 10:12 pm

jackpot jim wrote:

May 6th & 13th Maffra FC

He loves playing footy [emoji2369]

I’m actually surprised that The Future is only 31.
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby goddy11 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:40 pm

jackpot jim wrote:

May 6th & 13th Maffra FC

Spreads himself about a bit. :)

Is he at Pongy for the rest of the season.? Hope not playing at FF.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby damian » Sat May 27, 2023 7:24 pm

So close, yet so far for the Pies today against The Advertisers feature Club of the week, highlighted for being undefeated for 600+ days.

Scores level at half time and in front at 3/4 time, the cream rose to the top in the last thought. McLaren kicking five goals to one for another close victory.

Pies taking some big steps ahead in the last few weeks. A big scalp shouldn’t be far away.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby field of dreams » Sun May 28, 2023 9:00 am

Victor too strong for Yank yesterday. Was a decent contest in the first half despite Victor having 5 goals to one on the board at quarter time. Yank played a keeping’s off game in the second and did so well, out scoring Victor 3-1,to 2-2.
After the long break the clouds came into play and Victor adapted well and dominated with an 8-4 to 4 point onslaught.
The last was a closer run affair with yank scoring 2 majors and Victor 3-4.
30 scoring shots to 12 on the day….yank have some decent players and apparently have many injuries. Definitely on a better path now.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Sun May 28, 2023 7:17 pm

Good to see Yank and Gool / PE being more competitive in recent weeks.

Incredible turnaround by G / PE coming off a 99 point drubbing to Strath to be leading McLaren at 3/4 time before succumbing in the last term.
Also Yank being smashed by the Creeks by 137 points only a few weeks back to be trailing Willunga by only 3 goals at 3/4 time last week just shows that NO result can be taken for granted.

Creeks have been terrific the last month whilst being undermanned but couldn't sustain it Saturday against the Mudlarks. Kicking with the aid of the breeze in the 1st term the Creeks had 75% of the play in their forward half but could only register 3 behinds as they failed to find a way through the tight Mudlark defense and not helping themselves with numerous poor entries rarely to the advantage of their own players. Whilst the Mudlarks only scored the solitary goal they would have been well satisfied at quarter time. The Greens were much more efficient and dangerous than the Creeks with the breeze in the 2nd quarter and when they slotted the first 3 goals all from the boundary the writing was on the wall.
Creeks limited the damage in the 3rd term but didn't threaten to score a goal themselves. With the result all but over at 3/4 time the Mudlarks ran amok in the last term as they dominated the clearances as the Creeks missed Keynes in ruck. Creeks also wern't helped with Helyer returning after a month off with concussion taking little part in the match after doing a hamstring in the 1st term and looks set for another extended spell.
Myp /. Sell certainly look a real contender for their 1st A Flag since 1984 !!!!!!

E Bay cant take a trick atm going down by under a goal again this time to Compass who banked another invaluable 2 points in a season where every win is critical given how hard they seem to come by.

Willunga were too good to a wayward kicking Strath to keep touch with a top 3 spot whilst the Roosters are slowly going down the path of previous seasons by showing they can match it at times with the best but not consistent enough to get the wins required to play finals.
jackpot jim
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy