Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Tiger83 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Luke15 wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:Paul Cameron to coach Willunga reserves in 2018 after Willunga moved on 2017 undefeated premiership coach.

PC great bloke good luck to him. Who was last years reserves coach?? As for the Myponga/Yank junior merger. Well done to both clubs for working through it but the Execs will wanna be careful that the GsFL doesn’t start heading down the road of the SFL.

But what can you do if there just isn’t the population of kids around in these towns?? I’d say you don’t want to head down the path of financial incentives to get kids to your clubs.
SFL is slightly different because there are so many clubs within a few kms of each other , and until recently, more junior grades to draw more kids.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby dogsrbarkin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Tiger83 wrote:
Luke15 wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:Paul Cameron to coach Willunga reserves in 2018 after Willunga moved on 2017 undefeated premiership coach.

PC great bloke good luck to him. Who was last years reserves coach?? As for the Myponga/Yank junior merger. Well done to both clubs for working through it but the Execs will wanna be careful that the GsFL doesn’t start heading down the road of the SFL.

But what can you do if there just isn’t the population of kids around in these towns?? I’d say you don’t want to head down the path of financial incentives to get kids to your clubs.
SFL is slightly different because there are so many clubs within a few kms of each other , and until recently, more junior grades to draw more kids.

Is this the beginning of a complete club merge, like the HFL ?
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Hugh Dalloway » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:01 pm

McLaren sign another with Bollenhagen. Have heard the locals might not be as happy, has to be better than 2 wins over 2 season tho.

McLaren will surely have to get creative with points and salary cap... "wine sales" will be through the roof
Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself
Hugh Dalloway

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby mutton cove » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Tiger 83 : "don't want to head down the path of financial incentives for kids." What about free memberships, free dinners and pongy dollars. Don't worry about wine sales, look into milk sales.
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Tiger83 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:57 pm

mutton cove wrote:Tiger 83 : "don't want to head down the path of financial incentives for kids." What about free memberships, free dinners and pongy dollars. Don't worry about wine sales, look into milk sales.

Yep agree, but I wouldn’t know too much about it as I’m not involved at Pongy. However, clubs in low population areas have to be creative with keeping kids involved in local sport or even the towns die eventually.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Red Devil » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:14 pm

So pretty quiet on here lately!!

I believe some clubs had trials this weekend, how is it all looking for the start of the season??

What are some predictions??
Red Devil
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Red Devil wrote:So pretty quiet on here lately!!

I believe some clubs had trials this weekend, how is it all looking for the start of the season??

Predict Strath may have to re engineer their AFL standard size goal posts.
Saw video footage taken yesterday showing them swaying at the top up to a couple of metres either way in the strong winds.
Apart from making it a lottery when kicking for goal on a windy day for the player and goal umpire, safety would also be a concern from what i saw.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby oldbomber » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:15 pm

[/quote]

Saw video footage taken yesterday showing them swaying at the top up to a couple of metres either way in the strong winds.
Apart from making it a lottery when kicking for goal on a windy day for the player and goal umpire, safety would also be a concern from what i saw.[/quote]

Surely not. If its up to afl standards surely it is up to country footy standards. The AFL would not have allowed them up if safety was a concern. If anything it means no excuses for goal umpires as it should make their job considerably easier!
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 am

oldbomber wrote:

Apart from making it a lottery when kicking for goal on a windy day for the player and goal umpire, safety would also be a concern from what i saw.[/quote]

Surely not. If its up to afl standards surely it is up to country footy standards. The AFL would not have allowed them up if safety was a concern. If anything it means no excuses for goal umpires as it should make their job considerably easier![/quote]

Yep, they look brilliant and for sure, they'll be a goal umpires dream compared to other country grounds where post are often not much bigger than the teams ruckman.

Just an observation made from a video i saw. Obviously there has to be some movement on a windy day but the footage was quite astonishing and to a degree that i havent seen before.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby minibusakahalfacoach » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Red Devil wrote:So pretty quiet on here lately!!

Cove FC took on Mount Compass on their deck last Saturday both the B and A grade were good quality games, B grade couldn't tell you who won very close, left halfway through the last quarter of A grade, Compass up by roughly 4-5 goals.

Some big units in Compass A grade.
minibusakahalfacoach
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Yank Man » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:22 pm

Everyone at the Edwardstown Footy Club would like to say thanks to everyone at Mypo/Sellicks for the terrific trial yesterday. Great to see the passion of you guys who turned out in numbers to support your teams. Hope we made the journey enjoyable and the canteen staff slept well last night. Cheers also for coming upstairs for a froth afterwards. There was a bees knees in both games and I reckon we both got heaps out of it. Again, thanks, maybe we can hit your turf and reciprocate.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Hugh Dalloway » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Quiet on here considering rd 1 only a few sleeps away

Tips for the week:
Willunga
Creek
Compass
McLaren
Strath
Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself
Hugh Dalloway

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Luke15 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Very quiet come on guys this is boring. My tips this week however Round 1 is always a nightmare to tip cos there is no
Form to base it on:

Encounter Bay vs Willunga - Bays to be big improvers this year and will beat Willunga
LangHorne Creek vs Victor Harbor - both sides with handy ins but Creek to win, a bit better drilled
My Compass vs Goolwa - Compass shortest priced favourites outside of Winx to win the Flag. To win by plenty
Myponga vs Strathalbyn - Pongy with Ins and Strath with some Outs. Pongy to win at home
Yankalilla vs McLaren - Yank been quiet this off season, McLaren plenty happening. Close one I reckon I’m tipping McLaren

How good to finally get underway. Best of luck to all this season
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby field of dreams » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:43 pm

My tips/guesses for round 1:
Willunga over Bays
Mclaren over Yank
Creek over Victor
Compass over Goolwa
Pongy over Strath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby mutton cove » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm

I hope Yank have enough seniors to field two teams, they don't have a 17's side to top up the B's like other clubs.
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby ball breaker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Round 1 done and dusted. Any upsets? Image
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times

Postby field of dreams » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Not really...but the compass and Mclaren scores are pretty ominous

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby ball breaker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 pm

field of dreams wrote:Not really...but the compass and Mclaren scores are pretty ominous

The other 3 were kind of close though.

Any feed back on James Sellars debut in the league?
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 pm

ball breaker wrote:
field of dreams wrote:Not really...but the compass and Mclaren scores are pretty ominous

The other 3 were kind of close though.

Any feed back on James Sellars debut in the league?

Going on last years standings, E Bay, McLaren and Myp / Sell were all upsets but obviously some clubs lists can change fairly dramatically in 6 months so maybe to the well educated they wernt upsets?

Sellar was serviceable for the Creek, took a few grabs, kicked a goal but it certainly wasn't a great day for the Talls in windy conditions in a game that was a mostly very scrappy affair with lots of stoppages.

The GSFL has generally been quite even over recent years with few easy wins on offer, i know its only round 1 but a few lop sided results from the weekend look ominous .
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Luke15 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:46 am

Got all correct last week so better keep tipping:

Willunga vs Langhorne Creek - my tip is Creek with an upset.
Strathalbyn vs Encounter Bay - Bays to win here, they are looking strong
Victor Harbor vs Myponga/Sellicks - Pongy to take the chocolates
Goolwa/Pt Elliott vs Yankalilla - Yankalilla to bounce back
McLaren vs Mount Compass - will be closer than most think but Compass to win just

So all away teams for me this week. Good luck all
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy